PDA

View Full Version : SEC Baseball Stats - Thru 6 games.

BrunswickDawg
03-28-2022, 09:41 AM
Small sample size with only 6 games played - http://a.espncdn.com/sec/baseball/2022/seconly.pdf

Couple of interesting stats to watch:
We are Top 5 in most offensive stats (HR, AVG, SLG, OPS) - also still high in BB (2nd) and ok in fewest K's (6th) while being 3rd in Hits - those trends continue and offense will not be a problem.

SEC ERAs are awful outside of UT. But, a couple of decent trends for us - Teams are only hitting .260 against us (4th in SEC) and we are 5th in K's, and amazingly only 5th in Hits Allowed. Big issue is BB allowed (2nd worst).
If we can find command, we are are hard to hit so far compared to most of the SEC.

Santiago
03-28-2022, 09:46 AM
walks - just clean that up and our pitchers can go longer in games, and we apply pressure as the game goes on with our offense.

Irondawg
03-28-2022, 10:35 AM
We might lead the SEC in walks given up to lead off guys though. Seems we?ve done that in an abnormally high number of innings

BayouDawg
03-28-2022, 11:04 AM
Ill be interested to see these stats after a couple more series. Georgia pitching is putrid so Im afraid that may be skewing the results. Kentucky raked on Georgia Saturday and Sunday.

FISHDAWG
03-28-2022, 01:31 PM
not to bad ... but it sure seems like I should feel better than I actually do about this teams chances

TNDawg35
03-28-2022, 01:41 PM
Ill be interested to see these stats after a couple more series. Georgia pitching is putrid so Im afraid that may be skewing the results. Kentucky raked on Georgia Saturday and Sunday.

Yea well so did we… A missed pop up cost is that game… that and our bullpen is horrid…

sleepy dawg
03-28-2022, 03:38 PM
Small sample size with only 6 games played - http://a.espncdn.com/sec/baseball/2022/seconly.pdf

Couple of interesting stats to watch:
We are Top 5 in most offensive stats (HR, AVG, SLG, OPS) - also still high in BB (2nd) and ok in fewest K's (6th) while being 3rd in Hits - those trends continue and offense will not be a problem.

SEC ERAs are awful outside of UT. But, a couple of decent trends for us - Teams are only hitting .260 against us (4th in SEC) and we are 5th in K's, and amazingly only 5th in Hits Allowed. Big issue is BB allowed (2nd worst).
If we can find command, we are are hard to hit so far compared to most of the SEC.

Thanks for posting. Where did you find this link? Are there more links and are they available in html?

confucius say
03-28-2022, 04:13 PM
Arkansas has played KY and Mizzou and is hitting .246.

In all games, they are hitting .272, compared to our .279.

They pitch it must better though. Particularly their bullpen compared to ours.

basedog
03-28-2022, 04:32 PM

Interesting.

CaptainObvious
03-28-2022, 04:35 PM
And yet they rank #2. Seems fishy. I guess we will find out if they are the second best team at this point come this weekend.

confucius say
03-28-2022, 04:36 PM
And yet they rank #2. Seems fishy. I guess we will find out if they are the second best team at this point come this weekend.

They aren't.

Now they may handle us bc we aren't very good. But they are not the second best team. Not even close.

basedog
03-28-2022, 05:31 PM
Rankings mean nothing this early, wake me up in late April. But the Vandy/Tn games will be interesting.

Commercecomet24
03-28-2022, 05:33 PM
Rankings mean nothing this early, wake me up in late April. But the Vandy/Tn games will be interesting.

I agree with this 100%.

BayouDawg
03-28-2022, 06:23 PM
Yea well so did we… A missed pop up cost is that game… that and our bullpen is horrid…

Yea thats what I mean. It looks like everybody is going to look great offensively against their Saturday and Sunday guys.

Saltydog
03-28-2022, 06:34 PM

Dropping from top 10 to top 40 means something base. It just does and what it means isn't good.......

basedog
03-28-2022, 07:36 PM
Dropping from top 10 to top 40 means something base. It just does and what it means isn't good.......

Maybe we were over rated. But we have time to recover. I don't think we will match last year.
Let's hope we make a run.

Also injuries to our pitching staff has really hurt this team. Imagine having Sims, Simmons and Hunt all healthy. Folks complaining about recruiting would not IF injuries not occurred.
It is what it is now.

Commercecomet24
03-28-2022, 07:42 PM
Maybe we were over rated. But we have time to recover. I don't think we will match last year.

I realistically thought we were a top 20 team coming into this season. Losing Sims, Simmons, and Hunt has changed the course of our season. Imagine how different our season and record would look at this point with having those 3 right now. I still believe Lemonis and Foxhall will get it sorted out and we'll make a run. Way to early to bail on this team. They've showed some grit and fight.

basedog
03-28-2022, 08:26 PM
I realistically thought we were a top 20 team coming into this season. Losing Sims, Simmons, and Hunt has changed the course of our season. Imagine how different our season and record would look at this point with having those 3 right now. I still believe Lemonis and Foxhall will get it sorted out and we'll make a run. Way to early to bail on this team. They've showed some grit and fight.

Totally agree. Injuries are something we can’t control or plan on but we have to regroup. I just hope we beat the Hogs which we can.

somebodyshotmypaw
03-28-2022, 08:57 PM
My concerns:

Walks - our pitchers have to throw strikes. We are beating ourselves far too often.

Centerfield - I understand that the shortstop position isn’t going to hit for us. But Skinner and Corder haven’t gotten it done, and I’m not convinced Jess Davis can hit consistently (although his average is high currently). I hope one of them proves me wrong. We need centerfield to hit.

Leadership - James , Hancock, Tanner? Who will lead us?

Bullpen depth - Kohn and Auger are pitching well. But Talley, Tepper, Tullar, and Fristoe are the key. We won’t go far without them. They have to figure it out. There isn’t a lot of depth, so we need those guys.

WPS
03-28-2022, 10:03 PM

Pretty much the opposite of what I expected

Todd4State
03-29-2022, 02:36 AM

Also injuries to our pitching staff has really hurt this team. Imagine having Sims, Simmons and Hunt all healthy. Folks complaining about recruiting would not IF injuries not occurred.
It is what it is now.

This is true. My hope is that Hunt can come back and stabilize some things. I know you can't do "what if" in baseball but having a healthy Hunt might be the difference between us winning the Tulane and Georgia series and sweeping Alabama because it makes the bullpen deeper. It also affects how we manage a game as well. An 18-7 record vs. 15-10 would have our fans feeling much differently right now.