PDA

View Full Version : Bullpen

Dawgsfanalongtime77
03-27-2022, 06:50 PM
I?m not quite understanding bringing in tullar before fristoe. Seems like a double whammy. Tullar gives up 5 runs on the weekend. I understand the pitching staff is a puzzle and injuries were a killer but Tullar probably shouldn?t be used in late game situations. Auger is the only one resembling a closer as of now. Late game heroics will be the theme

Cooterpoot
03-27-2022, 07:05 PM
We miss Johnson and Stinnett in the pen. But we also have failed to properly recruit. We've got to recruit better. Stuck with what we've got now.

The Federalist Engineer
03-27-2022, 07:16 PM
The Bullpen:

-----All American----
None
---- All SEC ----
None
---- SEC Ready ----
Auger - we like him
Pico - young guy, we like him
Brandon Smith - sometimes good, sometimes shelled
--------- Midmajor or Midweek -----
Talley - seems ok
Tullar - usually walks the 1st guy, next guy hits a double
Fristoe - 95 mph but flat, Vance Tatum Risk, Dakota Hudson ceiling
Tepper - 97 mph but flat, Vance Tatum Risk, Dakota Hudson ceiling
Cheetham - Freshman for midweek
------ D2 or SWAC -----
Walker - good vs SWAC
----- Paul Young Award Candidate -----
Walling - Todd thinks something is seriously bad
----- ? -----
Montiel - has not thrown a pitch in 2022
Wilson - has not thrown a pitch in 2022

R2Dawg
03-27-2022, 07:22 PM
What is up with Walker. Wasn't he like top pitcher in nation? Is he hurt or not as good as expected or both?

the_real_MSU_is_us
03-27-2022, 07:47 PM
What is up with Walker. Wasn't he like top pitcher in nation? Is he hurt or not as good as expected or both?

He was really good in HS, but from what I've seen at State he's a short 89 mph batting practice guy who needs time to develop secondary stuff

Cooterpoot
03-27-2022, 08:04 PM
Walker has a ton of crazy movement. Throwing strikes has been the issue. He's a FR, so not unexpected. He'll be a 92 mph guy. He's a guy that I could see in mid relief down the road.

Irondawg
03-27-2022, 10:19 PM
You can?t get away with throwing as flat as Fristoe and some others do. Those guys need to work on a cutter or finding something to get some movement on their pitches

HoopsDawg
03-27-2022, 10:45 PM
Just leave Auger in and it's likely 3-2 heading to B9 instead of 6-2. But Lemonis looked at the splits. Sheesh.

Todd4State
03-27-2022, 11:43 PM
We miss Johnson and Stinnett in the pen. But we also have failed to properly recruit. We've got to recruit better. Stuck with what we've got now.

We don't miss Stinnett in the pen. His ERA was like 8 something out of the pen.

Todd4State
03-27-2022, 11:44 PM
Just leave Auger in and it's likely 3-2 heading to B9 instead of 6-2. But Lemonis looked at the splits. Sheesh.

Yep. Sometimes less is more.

Cooterpoot
03-28-2022, 08:23 AM
We don't miss Stinnett in the pen. His ERA was like 8 something out of the pen.

He's better than what we've got. We keep rolling Tullar out there to get shelled. He just found himself starting. Different approach. Our pen is baaaaddd! Really bad. We need arms in the worst way.

TNDawg35
03-28-2022, 08:50 AM
He's better than what we've got. We keep rolling Tullar out there to get shelled. He just found himself starting. Different approach. Our pen is baaaaddd! Really bad. We need arms in the worst way.

Stinnett was just as bad as the rest in the pen. Once he moved to the starter roll, he has been pretty good. He needs a quicker leash, but we have no one to replace him with. What we really need is Hunt back and he can slide into a starter roll and move PJ back to the pen. We need someone to emerge and be that workhorse and eat innings. If we would have a decent guy to come out. We would have won’t be Tulane and UGA series and match that with a now win over #4 Texas Tech, this team ain’t bad at all.

trob115
03-28-2022, 08:53 AM
Walling must be worse than Wild Thang on major league. Our pen is definitely in the bottom 2 of the league.

Cooterpoot
03-28-2022, 09:02 AM
Stinnett was just as bad as the rest in the pen. Once he moved to the starter roll, he has been pretty good. He needs a quicker leash, but we have no one to replace him with. What we really need is Hunt back and he can slide into a starter roll and move PJ back to the pen. We need someone to emerge and be that workhorse and eat innings. If we would have a decent guy to come out. We would have won’t be Tulane and UGA series and match that with a now win over #4 Texas Tech, this team ain’t bad at all.

Starting has been good for Stinnett. Sometimes a change is good. I'd still take him over Tullar every damn game in the pen. But I agree with pretty all of that. Again, we haven't recruited well enough. Canz guys are almost out the door. We've got to do better recruiting. Our pen was middle of the pack without the injuries.

Saltydog
03-28-2022, 09:44 AM
The Bullpen:

-----All American----
None
---- All SEC ----
None
---- SEC Ready ----
Auger - we like him
Pico - young guy, we like him
Brandon Smith - sometimes good, sometimes shelled
--------- Midmajor or Midweek -----
Talley - seems ok
Tullar - usually walks the 1st guy, next guy hits a double
Fristoe - 95 mph but flat, Vance Tatum Risk, Dakota Hudson ceiling
Tepper - 97 mph but flat, Vance Tatum Risk, Dakota Hudson ceiling
Cheetham - Freshman for midweek
------ D2 or SWAC -----
Walker - good vs SWAC
----- Paul Young Award Candidate -----
Walling - Todd thinks something is seriously bad
----- ? -----
Montiel - has not thrown a pitch in 2022
Wilson - has not thrown a pitch in 2022

Think how bad Montiel and Wilson are to not get any p/t on this pitching staff.....

Choctaw Dawg
03-28-2022, 12:25 PM
Think how bad Montiel and Wilson are to not get any p/t on this pitching staff.....

They both got redshirted

Coach34
03-28-2022, 01:29 PM
They both got redshirted

Doesnt change the point- those two werent ready to pitch this Spring for a team with an atrocious bullpen. And they could have pitched some preconference and still kept their RS.

confucius say
03-28-2022, 02:22 PM

Yep.

Splits only matter if your guy is at least as close to as good as the other lefties the hitter has faced. Tullar isn't. He has a 9.28 era and a 2.35 whip.
I mean holy crap.
Then we get in the postgame presser and can't understand why our lefty can't get the righty who doesn't hit lefties well out. It's bc he isn't good.

We went into the season with a LH pitching plan of tullar, walling (who can't get on the field), and a freshman in Pico. I mean what....

confucius say
03-28-2022, 02:30 PM
Starting has been good for Stinnett. Sometimes a change is good. I'd still take him over Tullar every damn game in the pen. But I agree with pretty all of that. Again, we haven't recruited well enough. Canz guys are almost out the door. We've got to do better recruiting. Our pen was middle of the pack without the injuries.

This is what should be harped on more. Our recruiting has sucked. We got one guy in the entire class who can contribute immediately on the mound. One!

And you think it's bad now, Davis, James, Hancock, LT, cumbest, Yeager, and Legget are gone after this year. That leaves hines and Clark and Forsythe. Maybe alford can be a guy. Better get some serious immediate contributors in this next class.

HoopsDawg
03-28-2022, 03:39 PM
This is what should be harped on more. Our recruiting has sucked. We got one guy in the entire class who can contribute immediately on the mound. One!

And you think it's bad now, Davis, James, Hancock, LT, cumbest, Yeager, and Legget are gone after this year. That leaves hines and Clark and Forsythe. Maybe alford can be a guy. Better get some serious immediate contributors in this next class.

And Clark is draft eligible.

The Federalist Engineer
03-28-2022, 11:44 PM

I am not worried about the position player recruiting. That seems solid. It's the pitching talent management that is still in the mid 2010's level - Need miracles seasons and magical 3rd year development leaps.

Before next year, MSU will desperately need some Peyton Plumlee, Spencer Price, Ryan Rigby, Blake Smith and Houston Harding transfers from Mississippi JC ranks. It seems MSU coaches actually watch the Hinds and Itawamba kids play before offering a roster spot. Foxhall gets no more projects until he gets something from the current stockpile of basket cases with "electric stuff".

Tangentially, future prospects from Oklahoma CC's are sketchy now. Remember how Gunner Halter hit 17 HRs in his Oklahoma CC - then MSU got a 125-lb bean pole with size 26 waist show up on Campus.

Seriously, had Tanner and Rowdey not rescued the Notre Dame Super Regional. I would be unreasonable these days.

Todd4State
03-29-2022, 02:28 AM

No he's not. Did you forget his complete meltdown against Tulane? Or Northern Kentucky? And on no planet is Stinnett a better relief pitcher than Auger, Pico, or even Brandon Smith. He found himself starting because of injuries and the fact that he literally can not come in relief and function because he's too wild.

Todd4State
03-29-2022, 02:30 AM
I am not worried about the position player recruiting. That seems solid. It's the pitching talent management that is still in the mid 2010's level - Need miracles seasons and magical 3rd year development leaps.

Before next year, MSU will desperately need some Peyton Plumlee, Spencer Price, Ryan Rigby, Blake Smith and Houston Harding transfers from Mississippi JC ranks. It seems MSU coaches actually watch the Hinds and Itawamba kids play before offering a roster spot. Foxhall gets no more projects until he gets something from the current stockpile of basket cases with "electric stuff".

Tangentially, future prospects from Oklahoma CC's are sketchy now. Remember how Gunner Halter hit 17 HRs in his Oklahoma CC - then MSU got a 125-lb bean pole with size 26 waist show up on Campus.

Seriously, had Tanner and Rowdey not rescued the Notre Dame Super Regional. I would be unreasonable these days.

I agree. And it's fair to note that Gautreau has been here longer than Foxhall. Some of what we are seeing now is because of the transition between Henderson and Foxhall.