PDA

View Full Version : 37k

TheLostDawg
03-27-2022, 04:25 PM
At $20 ticket. That's pretty good

CaptainObvious
03-27-2022, 09:08 PM
Yeah. It is BS to suggest State loses money on Baseball. If they do, there is some woeful Miss-management going on in the Athletics office.

May not make much, but those numbers have to result in being in the black even if just barely.

Tbonewannabe
03-28-2022, 07:52 AM
We paid $60 per ticket for the Rooftop in Left Field. It comes with Bryan Hot dogs and burgers. Pretty cool seats but you do feel away from the action. Place was pretty packed also.

Offshore Dawg
03-28-2022, 09:54 AM
At $20 ticket. That's pretty good

I would think the average including premium seating to be higher.

Coach34
03-28-2022, 10:12 AM
We produce about 1.5MM- 2MM in ticket sales for baseball. Thats pretty good. We also have advertising coming in, suite money, and apartment money. But:

Lemon makes what- 1MM or more?
Fox is paid very well
Rest of our baseball staff
Scholarships at 11.7
Equipment
Travel and food
Field maintenance

All those expenses are part of baseball.

While it's true we bring in more than most schools in baseball- we still lose money. We just dont lose near as much as other schools do on baseball. Which is a big, big plus. Baseball is not near the drain women's basketball and other minor sports are on the budget

Jack Lambert
03-28-2022, 10:17 AM
We produce about 1.5MM- 2MM in ticket sales for baseball. Thats pretty good. We also have advertising coming in, suite money, and apartment money. But:

Fox is paid very well
Scholarships at 11.7
Equipment
Travel and food
Field maintenance

While it's true we bring in more than most schools in baseball- we still lose money. We just dont lose near as much as other schools do on baseball. Which is a big, big plus. Baseball is not near the drain women's basketball and other minor sports are on the budget

I thought most of the coaches salaries are paid by the Bull Dog club? Not trying to take from your point because it still loses money.

Santiago
03-28-2022, 10:26 AM

Fox is paid very well
Scholarships at 11.7
Equipment
Travel and food
Field maintenance

I thought I read a few years ago, that baseball is a small profit for us, in the black each season.

StarkVegasSteve
03-28-2022, 11:17 AM
I thought I read a few years ago, that baseball is a small profit for us, in the black each season.

Depends on the year. Last year would have probably ended up in the red due to the prolonged stay in Omaha, but the crowds at the regionals and supers plus the merchandising royalties put us in the black.

BrunswickDawg
03-28-2022, 11:47 AM
Depends on the year. Last year would have probably ended up in the red due to the prolonged stay in Omaha, but the crowds at the regionals and supers plus the merchandising royalties put us in the black.

The lions share of ticket $ for regionals and supers goes to the NCAA.

State82
03-28-2022, 12:02 PM
I would be very interested to know what the average royalty is for the university for a typical piece of merchandise with the logo on it.

MStateDawg
03-28-2022, 01:02 PM
Scholarships at 11.7

Scholarships are paid for by the Bulldog Club.
There are 5,500 chairbacks in Dudy Noble.
The minimum BDC donation to get a chairback is $150 per seat, per year.
5,500 x 150 = $825,000 (minimum)
Tuition is currently $4,555 per semester ($9,110 per year)
9,110 * 11.7 = $106,587

Meaning, the BDC is making well over $700k profit on baseball seating requirements even after adjusting for the cost of the player's scholarships. And that profit is actually substantially more when you consider all the premium seats which demand more than the $150 fee. It's probably enough to cover Lemonis's entire salary as well. So you've got all the players and the HC's salary covered with just the BDC requirements. You still get all the money from the actual ticket sales, parking fees, concessions, etc. to pay for the other expenses.

Coach34
03-28-2022, 01:23 PM
Scholarships are paid for by the Bulldog Club.

Meaning, the BDC is making well over $700k profit on baseball seating requirements even after adjusting for the cost of the player's scholarships. And that profit is actually substantially more when you consider all the premium seats which demand more than the $150 fee. It's probably enough to cover Lemonis's entire salary as well. So you've got all the players and the HC's salary covered with just the BDC requirements. You still get all the money from the actual ticket sales, parking fees, concessions, etc. to pay for the other expenses.

Now do season tickets funding tennis, softball, golf, etc

And you still left alot of expenses baseball has to cover.

confucius say
03-28-2022, 02:50 PM
Between the seat fees and premium seating and ticket sales, we are generating way way more than 2 million. We're over that number just in ticket sales.
5000 chairbacks x 350 a season ticket is 1.75 million before even getting to non-chairback season tickets, single game tickets, lounge tickets, seat fees, lounge fees, premium seating fees, skybox fees, etc...
We certainly spend a lot though.

Tbonewannabe
03-28-2022, 03:01 PM

I assume his goal is to show that baseball actually makes money. I would think that baseball is slightly in the black while it also gives ESPN and the SEC Network more programming to air. I would also throw in there that MoverS sells more merchandise for MSU and it is specifically baseball. The M State is on multiple sports so that wouldn't be as specific a revenue stream.

MStateDawg
03-28-2022, 03:10 PM

Nah, I'm gonna stick to the subject matter of this thread which is about our baseball program. A program that is certainly capable of staying in the black financially.
Funding those other sports is what that giant check the SEC gives us every summer is for.

Rawdawg
03-28-2022, 06:20 PM
They wanted $250,000 for the use of the National title logo

TALL DAWG
03-28-2022, 06:40 PM
They wanted $250,000 for the use of the National title logo

Surely to goodness we are making a decent extra amount on brew sales? Yes?

Todd4State
03-29-2022, 02:41 AM

I'm pretty sure that's likely covered by football.

Coach34
03-29-2022, 08:26 AM
Nah, I'm gonna stick to the subject matter of this thread which is about our baseball program. A program that is certainly capable of staying in the black financially.
Funding those other sports is what that giant check the SEC gives us every summer is for.

Well, funding our staff is 2MM or more.
Equipment
Travel and food
Electric bill having the ball lights on constantly
Field maintenance
Workers for games- who pays them?
Clean up after games?
Does baseball get concessions? Basketball gives theirs away to the Lions Club
Recruiting budget? Let's dont forget that. Part of baseball expenses

Johnson85
03-29-2022, 08:57 AM
Well, funding our staff is 2MM or more.
Equipment
Travel and food
Electric bill having the ball lights on constantly
Field maintenance
Workers for games- who pays them?
Clean up after games?
Does baseball get concessions? Basketball gives theirs away to the Lions Club
Recruiting budget? Let's dont forget that. Part of baseball expenses

All easy enough to figure out. The somewhat challenging part is figuring out how much of the SEC TV contract is attributable to baseball. Obviously the vast majority of it is football and men's basketball. If you just allocated it by eyeballs for a 30 minute session, that would probably overstate the value of the other sports, but that would give you an upper level number to work off of. Another somewhat challenging part will be how athletic department overhead is allocated among the different sports. Or at least, challenging to figure out a way to allocate it in a way that somewhat reflects reality.

It'd be interesting to see, but I suspect the athletic department doesn't want to emphasize the difference between baseball and other non-revenue sports.

BrunswickDawg
03-29-2022, 10:43 AM
All easy enough to figure out. The somewhat challenging part is figuring out how much of the SEC TV contract is attributable to baseball. Obviously the vast majority of it is football and men's basketball. If you just allocated it by eyeballs for a 30 minute session, that would probably overstate the value of the other sports, but that would give you an upper level number to work off of. Another somewhat challenging part will be how athletic department overhead is allocated among the different sports. Or at least, challenging to figure out a way to allocate it in a way that somewhat reflects reality.

It'd be interesting to see, but I suspect the athletic department doesn't want to emphasize the difference between baseball and other non-revenue sports.

If you could get viewer data on all sports you could almost do allocation by eyeballs - basketball, baseball, tennis, volleyball, and soccer are all on SECN, plus the golf and T&F championships. But, I think that would shortchange smaller programs unfairly.
Athletic Dept overhead could be allocated by # of athletes. Divide overhead by total # of athletes, then allocate to each program by number of players on the roster. I wouldn't recommend budgeting for our sports this way, but it would give a clear picture of costs and revenues.

Johnson85
03-29-2022, 11:21 AM
If you could get viewer data on all sports you could almost do allocation by eyeballs - basketball, baseball, tennis, volleyball, and soccer are all on SECN, plus the golf and T&F championships. But, I think that would shortchange smaller programs unfairly. I would have thought the exact opposite. Football and basketball are either in prime time or at least in competitive time slots. The rest is essentially filler. You have a small number of devoted fans and then a small number of viewers that just don't have anything else to watch and would just as likely watch football or basketball reruns as volleyball or whatever. Maybe I'm thinking about that backwards. Or maybe a viewer is a viewer for advertising and a viewer at 2am on Tuesday is worth the same as a viewer at 7pm on Saturday night.

Athletic Dept overhead could be allocated by # of athletes. Divide overhead by total # of athletes, then allocate to each program by number of players on the roster. I wouldn't recommend budgeting for our sports this way, but it would give a clear picture of costs and revenues. I thought about # of athletes, but also thought maybe number of games/matches is important. Or maybe direct costs for a sport are a good indication of how G&A should be allocated (so football would get the lion's share). Really hard to make a guess without knowing how responsibilities are divided up. If one person does logistics/travel for several programs, then the number of travel games is a big deal. If each sport has their own logistics person, then they are already getting that as a direct charge, and number of games isn't as important.

BrunswickDawg
03-29-2022, 01:05 PM
I would have thought the exact opposite. Football and basketball are either in prime time or at least in competitive time slots. The rest is essentially filler. You have a small number of devoted fans and then a small number of viewers that just don't have anything else to watch and would just as likely watch football or basketball reruns as volleyball or whatever. Maybe I'm thinking about that backwards. Or maybe a viewer is a viewer for advertising and a viewer at 2am on Tuesday is worth the same as a viewer at 7pm on Saturday night.

I thought about # of athletes, but also thought maybe number of games/matches is important. Or maybe direct costs for a sport are a good indication of how G&A should be allocated (so football would get the lion's share). Really hard to make a guess without knowing how responsibilities are divided up. If one person does logistics/travel for several programs, then the number of travel games is a big deal. If each sport has their own logistics person, then they are already getting that as a direct charge, and number of games isn't as important.

You and I must deal with similar budget details at work LOL

Johnson85
03-29-2022, 02:00 PM
You and I must deal with similar budget details at work LOL

Ha, actually, what really got me into the details was when I was asked to start fill out a time sheet charging my time to different budgets because they wanted to get more granular in their cost accounting. People were already bitching about overhead assigned to them and the thought of people bitching about how much time was charged to their budget by different G&A employees was pretty good motivation to come up with and pitch some different allocation methods that were "good enough" and that didn't require time sheets.