PDA

View Full Version : Fristoe

cheewgumm
03-26-2022, 09:45 PM
I know Fristoe gor roughed up a little, but i thought he looked great today.

He should be encouraged...just locate a little better.

The frist guy hit a decent pitch to right.

the_real_MSU_is_us
03-26-2022, 09:58 PM
Fristoe has a couple problems I see.... 1) is location as you said, he misses his spots and gets shelled. BUT, typically at 94-95 you can get away with missing your spots a bit, because it's still hard to square up. Which leads me to 2) his fastball looks flat to me. Sims had beautiful movement for comparison. But this makes his FB relatively easy to barrel up. And problem 3) I see is his curve doesn't get good depth, they can foul it off when taking defensive swings.

I think another year to get his location better and secondary stuff a little sharper and he'll be a good Saturday starter

SilentSteel16
03-27-2022, 12:11 AM
Looked great? Judging by your saying under your name, you must have been in Illusions a little too long, ha.

But seriously I think Fristoe shows out during practice otherwise he won’t have such a long rope that Foxhall has for him, he seems to get a lot of innings and we are still trying to find his place because they are trying him everywhere and in every situation.

cheewgumm
03-27-2022, 12:37 AM
He was hitting 96 and throwing strikes.

Left some balls over the plate I guess.

I?ll take 96 and strikes:

SilentSteel16
03-27-2022, 12:59 AM
Just to be clear I wasn’t knocking him or you.. it was merely a shot at Gloster…..I don’t trust Fristoe right now in high leverage spots… that can all change, wish him well, he is clearly super talented and has some trust from coaching staff, who know way more than I.

Todd4State
03-27-2022, 01:21 AM
One of those doubles they hit didn't even look like it was in the strike zone- but it was elevated.

Looked to me like he was hanging his breaking ball some today more than anything.

Fortunately, we won which helps maintain confidence sometimes.

Todd4State
03-27-2022, 01:24 AM
Looked great? Judging by your saying under your name, you must have been in Illusions a little too long, ha.

But seriously I think Fristoe shows out during practice otherwise he won’t have such a long rope that Foxhall has for him, he seems to get a lot of innings and we are still trying to find his place because they are trying him everywhere and in every situation.

He has pitched well in relief for the most part. We've been spoiled by the best closer in MSU history who was basically automatic and unhittable and never walked anyone.

I always figured that if we got to a National Championship scenario where it was game three to win it I would be a bundle of emotions and nerves no matter the lead. When Sims came in I was completely comfortable. That's how good an automatic he was.

Cooterpoot
03-27-2022, 03:30 AM
It should never take a pitcher 3 years to throw strikes and hit spots at MSU. That's just a damn fact! We're signing too many of those kids. I don't care if you throw 95 if you can't get it done. But, injuries have us depending on those guys now.

OLJWales
03-27-2022, 05:17 AM
This thread re-reminded me of Sims. Damn that still stings my innards.

Hambone
03-27-2022, 05:50 AM
It should never take a pitcher 3 years to throw strikes and hit spots at MSU. That's just a damn fact! We're signing too many of those kids. I don't care if you throw 95 if you can't get it done. But, injuries have us depending on those guys now.

Remember Girodo? Leibelt?

Sometimes it does take time. Not everyone is good to go from the start.

R2Dawg
03-27-2022, 08:12 AM
Odd thing on last year. Our ace pitcher to start the year ended up never playing by year end. Fristoe was a weekend starter that went to the pen. Bednar didn't even come into the picture till mid year. Harding ended up being the 3rd starter and played a huge hand in NC. He was just a bullgen guy all year. Pitching is a funny thing sometimes.

Point is, Fristoe might just figure things out later this year. He already has some stuff, it wouldn't take much.

Cooterpoot
03-27-2022, 08:34 AM

Both changed their motions completely. Those are exceptions. Like I said, we sign too many of those that don't develop. You can take a couple, but you can't load up on them. We have the last few years. Fristoe might be great next season, but then, he only helps you one season too. You sign too many one season guys and your pen looks like one that had another recruiting miss. One season guys can come from the portal now. It's almost pointless to waste time on developing a guy for one season. If they can't get it done in two years (at least enough to really help) then you're wasting some time. We've got Wallimg sitting because he can't locate. We had Cerantola. I'm good with chasing arm talent, but they need to develop (to a point) faster than year 3. I do think Fristoe can be better next year. I just expected more this year. He looked like a rotation guy at times as a FR. It's crazy how many great FR pitchers we used to sign. Baseball has changed a lot.

Hambone
03-27-2022, 11:06 AM
My argument to that is if they do end up helping you if it’s just for one year isn’t it worth it?

HoopsDawg
03-27-2022, 11:24 AM

Congrats. You came up with 2 exceptions in the past 6 years.

Dawgsfanalongtime77
03-27-2022, 06:25 PM
Fristoe just leaves too many good pitches out over the plate. You can throw 95 all day but with no movement it gets tagged

the_real_MSU_is_us
03-27-2022, 07:58 PM
My argument to that is if they do end up helping you if it’s just for one year isn’t it worth it?

If they are REALLY good, yes.

But say we signed 5 pitchers a class who all needed "development", and signed zero multi year contributors. Of the 5, 2 don't pan out. You now have 3 really good pitchers, and every other pitcher on the roster is in need of development. you do not have 27 innings of pitching.

If you signed 3 guys like that and 2 decent 3 year year contributors, well now 1 of the 3 high ceiling guys don't pan out, and you've got: 2 really good guys, and 6ish quality non elite guys behind them (2 3 year contributors per class over 3/4 classes). Now you can put together 27 innings of pitching at an SEC level.

See the math? You can manipulate the numbers using transfers- sign high ceiling development guys in HS, and as needed hit the Portal to grab a solid contributor who's proved themselves elsewhere. But everyone wants them so it's hard to get enough of them.

Lord McBuckethead
03-29-2022, 09:04 AM
He was hitting 96 and throwing strikes.

Left some balls over the plate I guess.

I?ll take 96 and strikes:

So will the hitters, to be honest. His fastball is very very very flat. When he catches the plate, the batter catches the bleachers almost every time. I would take 93 on the outside edge or jamb em with 93 than out over the plate down broadway. You have to throw 98 coming off of a hard slider to get away with down broadway against a fastball hunting team.

Lord McBuckethead
03-29-2022, 09:04 AM
Fristoe just leaves too many good pitches out over the plate. You can throw 95 all day but with no movement it gets tagged

Bingo. 95 down broadway leaves the bat quickly.

Coach34
03-29-2022, 09:22 AM
He has his velo back but it does seem to be flat. Pitching is about what can YOU make the ball do? He has got to start going 2 seam for some sink or add a split to fool hitters. Or a good change. Something to get the bats from squaring off his 4 seam. Difference in being a thrower and a PITCHER. He's not "pitching" yet.

He has too much talent not to figure it out. It's on him to do so.

trob115
03-29-2022, 09:27 AM
Honestly, Fristoe reminds me of Stratton before he found his wipeout slider. Hopefully he makes a huge jump and finds a great change up or even a cutter.

TNDawg35
03-29-2022, 10:25 AM

This… he’ll look what Elko did to that 101mph heater dude from TN threw him right down the gut…