PDA

View Full Version : Basketball portal

msstate7
03-26-2022, 06:53 AM
Few guys we might be interested in - Erik Stevenson (South Carolina), Xavier pinson (lsu), and jermaine couisnard (South Carolina)

HoopsDawg
03-26-2022, 09:06 AM
The portal is loaded. Everyone is entering to check their NIL value.

HoopsDawg
03-26-2022, 09:06 AM
If I'm a coach, I'm maybe signing 2 HS kids each year at most.

Cowbell
03-26-2022, 09:27 AM
If I'm a coach, I'm maybe signing 2 HS kids each year at most.

In my opinion you're wasting time if you sign anybody that cannot be an immediate starter.

klong-dog
03-26-2022, 10:22 AM
Few guys we might be interested in - Erik Stevenson (South Carolina), Xavier pinson (lsu), and jermaine couisnard (South Carolina)

Damn. If Pinson picks SEC that would be the 3rd SEC team for him in 3 years.

smootness
03-26-2022, 11:19 AM
In my opinion you're wasting time if you sign anybody that cannot be an immediate starter.

So you roll with a roster of 5 players?

CaptainObvious
03-26-2022, 09:41 PM
So you roll with a roster of 5 players?

Just a guess here, but I suspect he is talking about for next year?s State team who may or may not have 5 starter quality returners.

msstate7
03-27-2022, 08:42 AM
So when is free agency in basketball? Trying to remember when we got all our transfers last year

smootness
03-27-2022, 09:15 AM
Just a guess here, but I suspect he is talking about for next year?s State team who may or may not have 5 starter quality returners.

Maybe, but his post was specifically in response to someone talking about a strategy for HS signees in general.

You have to continue to sign HS players, and you have to sign some guys who aren't going to be counted on immediately, especially if you're State. Otherwise you're either very bad because you HAVE to have your HS signees play significant minutes or you end up in a spot where you're bringing in transfers, who by definition are looking for immediate minutes, or HS guys you expect to start. So you'll have no bench and you will never build a program.

Cowbell
03-27-2022, 09:37 AM
Maybe, but his post was specifically in response to someone talking about a strategy for HS signees in general.

You have to continue to sign HS players, and you have to sign some guys who aren't going to be counted on immediately, especially if you're State. Otherwise you're either very bad because you HAVE to have your HS signees play significant minutes or you end up in a spot where you're bringing in transfers, who by definition are looking for immediate minutes, or HS guys you expect to start. So you'll have no bench and you will never build a program.

There is no building a program anymore. This is meet you at the playground and we pick teams every year. Why invest in a kid that will likely transfer on you the following year. You get transfers and guys that can immediately start or potentially play a roll. You don't need guys sitting on the bench as projects - those days are over imo.

NCMSTFAN
03-27-2022, 10:31 AM
There is no building a program anymore. This is meet you at the playground and we pick teams every year. Why invest in a kid that will likely transfer on you the following year. You get transfers and guys that can immediately start or potentially play a roll. You don't need guys sitting on the bench as projects - those days are over imo.

I agree for the most part, but I still think we need to sign a couple high school kids a year because some are good enough to contribute early or have really good upside and can learn from the vets. But overall, the transfer portal is where it's at, you can be good right away if you get the right guys. Jans has already used it heavily at NMSU and had pretty good success with it. Now he needs tonger SEC quality guys from it