PDA

View Full Version : State Employee Contracts

SteelCurtain74
03-25-2022, 02:10 PM
In looking at contracts of other coaches in the SEC, does the fact that the state of Mississippi only allows four year contracts for state employees put us at a disadvantage in terms of candidates when trying to hire coaches for the big 3 sports? Kelly at LSU has a 10 year contract as is Jimbos at A & M I believe.

FISHDAWG
03-25-2022, 02:13 PM
In looking at contracts of other coaches in the SEC, does the fact that the state of Mississippi only allows four year contracts for state employees put us at a disadvantage in terms of candidates when trying to hire coaches for the big 3 sports? Kelly at LSU has a 10 year contract as is Jimbos at A & M I believe.

I think we offered Mullen the same amount per year as Florida did but their deal was 6 years if I remember correctly and we could only offer 4 years ..... I think Dan would have left anyway but I'm not so sure I would want to offer 6 year deals anyway

QuadrupleOption
03-25-2022, 02:43 PM

Maybe, but it also protects the university (and the state) from having to pay out those decade-long contracts if someone gets fired. If a coach is worth a shit then the 4 year deal can always be extended (which we routinely do with our coaches) so it doesn't matter in the long run.

When I see the insane amounts of money that schools like Auburn and Tennessee are paying people NOT to coach it doesn't bother me that we have this cap in place.

Johnson85
03-25-2022, 02:55 PM
I think we offered Mullen the same amount per year as Florida did but their deal was 6 years if I remember correctly and we could only offer 4 years ..... I think Dan would have left anyway but I'm not so sure I would want to offer 6 year deals anyway

Neither do the people stroking the checks. It's something of a legal myth that the foundations can't enter into longer contracts than 4 years. If it ever gets to be too big of an impediment to attract coaches, you'll see people on the athletic side stop going along with that myth.

StarkVegasSteve
03-25-2022, 04:05 PM

It really isn't a big deal. Almost all of our coaching contracts roll over to add a year anyways. I think Mullen only once ever dipped below 4 years on his deal. And I think Howland still had two to three years left on his.