PDA

View Full Version : College Hockey - Treat yourself

The Federalist Engineer
03-24-2022, 08:30 PM
Single Elimination Sweet 16 and Final 8 this weekend. It's compelling championship competition

Tomorrow Denver vs Minnesota Duluth is a ball game. You can watch on ESPN U

Then watch the Frozen 4 after regionals, that's the hockey CWS or Final 4

It's like College Baseball, real college sport.

OLJWales
03-24-2022, 08:56 PM
I clicked specting humor but you fo realz?

FISHDAWG
03-25-2022, 07:29 AM
Hockey is cool ... once you learn some basic rules and develop an understanding of the game it's easy to get into. I can't watch any college hockey because I don't know where to tune in or I would.... At the professional level it's the only team sport where they let them fight - at least while they are upright until they go down on the ice

AROB44
03-25-2022, 07:32 AM
Hockey is cool ... once you learn some basic rules and develop an understanding of the game it's easy to get into. I can't watch any college hockey because I don't know where to tune in or I would.... At the professional level it's the only team sport where they let them fight - at least while they are upright until they go down on the ice

Which is absolutely stupid...

FISHDAWG
03-25-2022, 07:41 AM

maybe for you it is but not everyone sees it that way .... My son played and believe me, the guys love the fight and wear it like a boy scout merit badge

edited to clarify - My son played high school - not college

The Federalist Engineer
03-25-2022, 08:07 AM
maybe for you it is but not everyone sees it that way .... My son played and believe me, the guys love the fight and wear it like a boy scout merit badge

In the college game, they don't fight. There is plenty of checking and contact but it's like college baseball where batters don't typically charge the mound. You won't see an Odor vs Bautista moment in the SEC

FISHDAWG
03-25-2022, 10:28 AM
In the college game, they don't fight. There is plenty of checking and contact but it's like college baseball where batters don't typically charge the mound. You won't see an Odor vs Bautista moment in the SEC

I know ... I was speaking about the NHL. I've watched college hockey when I have had the chance. My son's team scrimmaged a several times against Ga Tech since they both practiced on the same ice and we used to watch Tech games when we could. And there was no fighting at all when they scrimmaged (it was just understood)..... sure miss those days

EdwardDrayton
03-25-2022, 12:38 PM
All hockey --- college, midlevel and NHL --- is great. And I say that as a born and raised Southern boy. First exposed to it during my corporate stint in Manhattan going to a few Ranger and Islander games. But the next stop was Pittsburgh and had my first opportunity to sit on the glass during the Jagr and Lemieux days. I was hooked. If you've never gone to a game and had seats down low, trust me, do it; it is as good as any sport there is.

Tbonewannabe
03-25-2022, 02:04 PM
All hockey --- college, midlevel and NHL --- is great. And I say that as a born and raised Southern boy. First exposed to it during my corporate stint in Manhattan going to a few Ranger and Islander games. But the next stop was Pittsburgh and had my first opportunity to sit on the glass during the Jagr and Lemieux days. I was hooked. If you've never gone to a game and had seats down low, trust me, do it; it is as good as any sport there is.

Two of the greatest on the same team. It was amazing that they didn't win more Stanley Cups with both of those guys. Jagr gives Cal Ripken a run for his money. Dude played professional hockey for like 30 years.

FISHDAWG
03-25-2022, 02:09 PM
Two of the greatest on the same team. It was amazing that they didn't win more Stanley Cups with both of those guys. Jagr gives Cal Ripken a run for his money. Dude played professional hockey for like 30 years.

agreed ... I didn't like Jagr and his attitude but can't deny he was a top player and an Atlanta Thrashers killer ... Lemieux was just a bad ass on ice (in a good way)

EdwardDrayton
03-25-2022, 05:41 PM
agreed ... I didn't like Jagr and his attitude but can't deny he was a top player and an Atlanta Thrashers killer ... Lemieux was just a bad ass on ice (in a good way)

That reminds me, next corporate stop after Pittsburgh was Atlanta. My wife and I were present for the first-ever Atlanta Thrashers game and still have all our gear. That was a great night. Sad day when they left Atlanta for Winnipeg.

OLJWales
03-26-2022, 11:17 AM

That's the best part of hockey.