PDA

View Full Version : OK, gentlemen. I'm off in search of waterfowl.

State82
11-22-2013, 04:42 PM
Headed to the Holly Bluff/Rolling Fork area. I'll report back later in the weekend. Hope you big game boys drop some horns over the weekend. Hope some hogs get dropped also.

Barking 13
11-22-2013, 04:44 PM
good duck!

BeastMan
11-22-2013, 05:21 PM
Nice. Best of luck

J-Dawg
11-22-2013, 07:12 PM
I'll be in your vicinity Sunday morning. Lemme know if they fly in the morning!

State82
11-24-2013, 04:57 PM
No luck on the ducks. Checked out Twin Oaks WMA Saturday. Counted 14 vehicles parked along the flooded greentree areas, so I said forget it. I just about refuse to hunt in a crowd. Hung around a while and walked around a bit but it was in an area that was not flooded. Sounded like a complete war from around 6:20 to just before 7:00 so it was all woodies. Crowds are going to have to thin out before I attempt that place again. Ridiculous. No flooded greentrees on the Sunflower WMA at Delta National Forest. Talked to a federal warden today and he said there was no money to pump any of them. There is spotty water in the woods, but did not see a duck.

J-Dawg
11-24-2013, 06:15 PM
No luck on the ducks. Checked out Twin Oaks WMA Saturday. Counted 14 vehicles parked along the flooded greentree areas, so I said forget it. I just about refuse to hunt in a crowd. Hung around a while and walked around a bit but it was in an area that was not flooded. Sounded like a complete war from around 6:20 to just before 7:00 so it was all woodies. Crowds are going to have to thin out before I attempt that place again. Ridiculous. No flooded greentrees on the Sunflower WMA at Delta National Forest. Talked to a federal warden today and he said there was no money to pump any of them. There is spotty water in the woods, but did not see a duck.

I was part of that war in SuNflower this morning. Pretty pathetic that they can't pump the greentrees. We had our 1st 2 holes we wanted to go to occupied by the time we got there, so we settled on plan C. We popped off like 6 total shots at two Pairs of woodies and then didn't fire another shot. Was out and back in Jackson by 10 AM. Very disappointing. Probably would have had better luck going standby at mahannah or Howard miller.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
12-16-2013, 02:34 PM
Anyone killing any birds? We did pretty fair Sunday morning and Saturday the birds were flying strong, but they liked another hole 300 from us a little better. Starting to see big groups of geese and big ducks making their way down, but mostly getting woodies and a few teal. Has anyone hunted Howard Miller this year? I was drawn for a hunt and it says on the website that there is little cover to hide in this year. I've got to determine if I need to buy a layout blind or if I can do something else.

J-Dawg
12-16-2013, 03:46 PM
Same on the geese and big ducks. We had several groups of mallards give us some looks Sunday morning but for the most part were booking it to a more desirable hole I'm sure.

State82
12-16-2013, 04:07 PM
Anyone killing any birds? We did pretty fair Sunday morning and Saturday the birds were flying strong, but they liked another hole 300 from us a little better. Starting to see big groups of geese and big ducks making their way down, but mostly getting woodies and a few teal. Has anyone hunted Howard Miller this year? I was drawn for a hunt and it says on the website that there is little cover to hide in this year. I've got to determine if I need to buy a layout blind or if I can do something else.

There have been some birds killed at Howard Miller so far. Friend of mine hunted last week there and it is holding some big ducks, or was anyway. I've been to it, but never hunted. Getting hidden is a challenge as far as I can tell.