PDA

View Full Version : Chris Jans Press Conference

SteelCurtain74
03-23-2022, 04:41 PM
I watched it today and while most of it was standard fare for what is usually said in these things, a few things stood out to me.

He said he grew up in a mobile home park and was proud of that upbringing. He seems very grounded and confident in who he is but won't be a rah rah type of coach

He also stated he had text and called all of our current recruits. He seems very adaptable and spoke about how the transfer portal is part of the recruiting process now in college basketball.

Of course the Clarion Ledger reporter had to bring up the Bowling Green incident but he owned it and said he had grown from it.

Nothing out of the ordinary for these press conferences but I do hope our current roster will give this guy a chance and not bolt for what appears to be greener pastures.

CovertDawg
03-23-2022, 05:15 PM
Seems like a genuine dude. He had notes but spoke mostly from the heart. It wasn't just coachspeak or memorized quotes. Also said he is recruiting former players' kids which he used to illustrate how long he has been coaching (but could be an in for us somewhere down the road.)

Also said in Juco you have to build a team every year so he is very comfortable with lots of newcomers each year....and that is what college basketball has become with the transfer portal.

OLJWales
03-23-2022, 05:20 PM
I watched it today and while most of it was standard fare for what is usually said in these things, a few things stood out to me.

He said he grew up in a mobile home park and was proud of that upbringing. He seems very grounded and confident in who he is but won't be a rah rah type of coach

He also stated he had text and called all of our current recruits. He seems very adaptable and spoke about how the transfer portal is part of the recruiting process now in college basketball.

Of course the Clarion Ledger reporter had to bring up the Bowling Green incident but he owned it and said he had grown from it.

Nothing out of the ordinary for these press conferences but I do hope our current roster will give this guy a chance and not bolt for what appears to be greener pastures.

All good except discussing "greener pastures" at this juncture is not so good.

ScoobaDawg
03-23-2022, 05:23 PM

Really thought we had gotten rid of their access... f*ckers

Turfdawg67
03-23-2022, 05:25 PM
Thanks... but there's nothing negative in this post. Do better.***

SteelCurtain74
03-23-2022, 05:31 PM
Thanks... but there's nothing negative in this post. Do better.***

Well, how about this, his cowbell ringing left a lot to be desired. He needs to up his game.

RocketDawg
03-23-2022, 05:52 PM

He should have asked the CL reporter whether he'd ever done the same thing.

BeardoMSU
03-23-2022, 05:54 PM
He said he grew up in a mobile home park and was proud of that upbringing.

I see he's already bought into the stereotypes...****

NCMSTFAN
03-23-2022, 09:59 PM
He seems solid, seems genuine and said some good things... his press conference didnt give me chills or anything but Im sure he was a little nervous.

I said it before but I'm still a little worried about his recruiting, only because he hasn't recruited as a HC at this level nor have I seen anywhere that he is known for recruiting.. He mentioned recruiting the portal, so that tells me he may know a few guys won't stick around, which is common... he recruited the portal for NM State pretty well... if you bring in the right guys with the portal you can win right away, but it has to be SEC talent... he even mentioned that recruiting is year by year now a days because of the portal. Back in the day you had to build programs from the ground up, now you can go grab 3 to 5 upperclassmen with experience and compete right away.

I personally am not ready to anoint him yet but I will give him a solid and fair chance and hope he does well for us. I do think he knows x's and o's and will have great game plans and execute.

Irondawg
03-23-2022, 10:05 PM
Recruiting will be key for him - when I watched them play Ark is stood out how much more athletic ARK was. Jans' team played their tail off and had a good chance to win it, but there was a clear difference is raw athleticism.

That said, it's easier to recruit to the SEC and he'll be able to draw better athletes here, but hopefully he doesn't start to star chase and hold true to the attributes he's mentioned he looks for in recruiting. We haven't had enough blue collar guys lately and you need some of those while sprinkling in the dynamic scoring types. You need more than 1 of those guys in the SEC.

OLJWales
03-23-2022, 10:14 PM

I've been seeing creepy crappy bullshit of late. Tupelo dude digging TWICE wanting to know what about the job itself prevented Him from doing better. I wish Howland would a done a "Chris" Everett- Jim Rome deal on his ass. Now this. Why do we continue to put up with this Ole Miss Media Bull Shit?

Pancho
03-24-2022, 06:27 AM
who is the tupelo guy, alford?

OLJWales
03-24-2022, 09:28 AM
I'm not down with the BG Question at an introduction presser. It seems we still have a rat infestation at the CL. One of the biggest asshole bosses ever who was also from Iowa taught me nothing changes until you get sick of the way things are. In the radio interview he said how much he hated losing and you see that mentality at the presser.

ScoobaDawg
03-24-2022, 09:36 AM
Seems like a genuine dude. He had notes but spoke mostly from the heart. It wasn't just coachspeak or memorized quotes. Also said he is recruiting former players' kids which he used to illustrate how long he has been coaching (but could be an in for us somewhere down the road.)

Also said in Juco you have to build a team every year so he is very comfortable with lots of newcomers each year....and that is what college basketball has become with the transfer portal.

That is the biggest part that got to me. The long pauses weren't for effect. He was truly taking in this moment and the shot he is getting at a P5 school.
You could see it in his eyes the raw emotion and unscripted answers.
I loved it.

Catfish
03-24-2022, 10:06 AM
Guy seems like a straight shooter. I think we got a good one.

Johnson85
03-24-2022, 10:22 AM
All good except discussing "greener pastures" at this juncture is not so good.

What was the greener pastures comment?

Johnson85
03-24-2022, 10:24 AM
Recruiting will be key for him - when I watched them play Ark is stood out how much more athletic ARK was. Jans' team played their tail off and had a good chance to win it, but there was a clear difference is raw athleticism.

That said, it's easier to recruit to the SEC and he'll be able to draw better athletes here, but hopefully he doesn't start to star chase and hold true to the attributes he's mentioned he looks for in recruiting. We haven't had enough blue collar guys lately and you need some of those while sprinkling in the dynamic scoring types. You need more than 1 of those guys in the SEC.

It's easier to recruit in the SEC, but it's not as easy to upgrade your talent in the transfer portal. At a lower level, you have a plethora of talent looking to increase their playing time.

At MSU, you're mostly going to be looking for players from equivalent or better schools leaving because of playing time or other issues and hope that it's going to work out better for them at MSU.

SteelCurtain74
03-24-2022, 11:41 AM

It was a comment I made in the original post. I just said I hope our current roster will give Jans a chance instead of looking for what they think are greener pastures.

OLJWales
03-24-2022, 11:44 AM

Worrying already about Jans bolting to "greener pastures".

OLJWales
03-24-2022, 11:45 AM
My bad. I fess up to not understanding.

NCMSTFAN
03-24-2022, 07:15 PM
It's easier to recruit in the SEC, but it's not as easy to upgrade your talent in the transfer portal. At a lower level, you have a plethora of talent looking to increase their playing time.

At MSU, you're mostly going to be looking for players from equivalent or better schools leaving because of playing time or other issues and hope that it's going to work out better for them at MSU.

Good post, I agree. It's the type of recruits that get brought in from the portal that will determine how successful he may be early. Last season, Jans had 8 guys to transfer out of his program... he brought in players from the portal that played at Coppin State, Northwest Florida, Austin Peay, JUCO school, LIU, Utah and Nebraska. The kid from Nebraska was really good for them, I watched him in the tournament. I'm not sure how good those type transfers will work at MSU going against SEC teams every week so the type of guys he can get will be important. I'm also hoping he can keep Molinar, Tolu, Garcia, Moore and a few of the other guys

R2Dawg
03-24-2022, 08:17 PM
He is a blue collar guy that fits MSU it appears. I think the brand he will build will attract the right kind of players to win here and bring the Hump back alive.

To remove my ignorance, what happened at Bowling Green? Maybe he can bring a championship to Hickory.

OLJWales
03-24-2022, 08:40 PM
He is a blue collar guy that fits MSU it appears. I think the brand he will build will attract the right kind of players to win here and bring the Hump back alive.

To remove my ignorance, what happened at Bowling Green? Maybe he can bring a championship to Hickory.

A man known as Jans was seen carousing and did let his hands slip to inappropriate areas of female anatomy. I pray he doesn't corrupt Vegas into the deep depths of vile degradation.

NCMSTFAN
03-24-2022, 09:30 PM

If you Google the story you can read what happened. He has since apologized and owned up to it, hopefully none of that travels to Starkville

Schultzy
03-24-2022, 10:32 PM
He’ll get SEC players just give me 35 minutes of high intensity basketball and not 15-20 of it please.

Todd4State
03-25-2022, 12:47 AM

That question along with comparing him tell me the Clarion-Ledger is worried that we got a good coach.

Johnson85
03-25-2022, 08:40 AM

Got caught on video appearing to be sloppy drunk and slapping a woman on the ass at the bar. Another woman (a friend of the one slapped?) confronted him and I guess chewed him out and that was the extent of it. May have smacked more than one woman, as they were videoing him for a reason (or maybe he did something else to bring attention to himself). Definitely a bad look and he's lucky she didn't have a guy friend there that kicked his ass, but had he been at Bowling Green longer and been more established, he probably wouldn't have even been fired for it. Not sure on the timing, but that might have been when the Me Too movement was getting a lot of traction, which may have also contributed to him getting fired rather than reprimanded. But either it was a one-off incident or if he was consistently getting sloppy drunk, that experience set him straight because there hasn't been an issue since.