PDA

View Full Version : So Ole Miss just added a transfer

HoopsDawg
03-23-2022, 11:11 AM
RB from SMU, a transfer LB from TCU. They have a top tranfer CB officially visiting this weekend. Deion Smith is transferring there if/when he gets his grades in order.

Meanwhile in Starkville, Coach Leach can't even find the time to attend our pro day.

Things are not trending well with our football program.

msstate7
03-23-2022, 11:18 AM
Skipped the pro day? Come on mane

HancockCountyDog
03-23-2022, 11:33 AM
RB from SMU, a transfer LB from TCU. They have a top tranfer CB officially visiting this weekend. Deion Smith is transferring there if/when he gets his grades in order.

Meanwhile in Starkville, Coach Leach can't even find the time to attend our pro day.

He gets us to 9 wins total this year (including an egg bowl win) I won't care.

I'm trying to be more positive about the team this year, but the schedule makes that difficult.

bulldawg28
03-23-2022, 11:37 AM

He seriously skipped pro day? That's terrible

OLJWales
03-23-2022, 11:42 AM

Damn. Nice thread starter dude. Did you wake up and step on a Lego on the way to the pisser?

HancockCountyDog
03-23-2022, 11:55 AM
He seriously skipped pro day? That's terrible

To be fair - he was pretty critical of our guys that skipped the bowl game, so him skipping pro day may be payback.

I think he was wrong about the bowl game, and he is obviously wrong here - but he gets us to 9 wins - who cares.

Cooterpoot
03-23-2022, 11:56 AM
This staff looks like they've damn near quit recruiting. It's getting ridiculous.

msstate7
03-23-2022, 11:56 AM
To be fair - he was pretty critical of our guys that skipped the bowl game, so him skipping pro day may be payback.

I think he was wrong about the bowl game, and he is obviously wrong here - but he gets us to 9 wins - who cares.

9 wins is a tough task. I'd be pretty happy with 8

HancockCountyDog
03-23-2022, 12:03 PM

I'm counting the bowl game. Also the egg bowl counts as 2 wins this year.

8-4 with losses to A&M, UGA, Bama and one other team (not named the bears) and a bowl win.

With LSU, Arkansas and AU all rebuilding and our standard 4 easy Non-Conference wins, 8 regular season wins is what improvement in year 3 looks like.

HancockCountyDog
03-23-2022, 12:04 PM
This staff looks like they've damn near quit recruiting. It's getting ridiculous.

Is it just me - or has recruiting in general not a focus. Maybe I'm getting old, but I used to be able to name you 10-15 kids that were priority in-state kids of an upcoming year. Now? I couldn't name more than 3. Probably just me getting old.

Catfish
03-23-2022, 12:04 PM

Agree, tough schedule. 8 wins would be great.

HoopsDawg
03-23-2022, 12:05 PM

man, I hate to tell you, we aren't winning 9 games. Every team on the schedule already has their gameplan set against us. See Texas Tech for notes. And we don't have Charles Cross out there anymore.

We will be looking for a new coach after this season. It's unfortunate, but Leach doesn't recruit at an SEC level and he refuses to adapt his scheme.

Catfish
03-23-2022, 12:06 PM
Damn. Nice thread starter dude. Did you wake up and step on a Lego on the way to the pisser?

Rep!

Cooterpoot
03-23-2022, 12:12 PM
Is it just me - or has recruiting in general not a focus. Maybe I'm getting old, but I used to be able to name you 10-15 kids that were priority in-state kids of an upcoming year. Now? I couldn't name more than 3. Probably just me getting old.

We're passing on some instate kids because of the offense we run. OM is about to clean up in-state this year too. We can't even fill our spots with portal guys. We'll see what's left after spring ball, but I'm not optimistic at this point.

PGHBulldogBG
03-23-2022, 12:17 PM
If we can win 7 games and one being ole miss this year that will show that Leach has improved each year and we are on the right track. Winning more than 7 would be gravy and should help Leach win over the entire fan base

confucius say
03-23-2022, 12:21 PM
9 wins? Are y'all high? We've won 9 in the regular season like what, 4 times ever?

Todd4State
03-23-2022, 12:29 PM
9 wins? Are y'all high? We've won 9 in the regular season like what, 4 times ever?

For context we only started playing 12 games like 20 years ago. We've had a few 8 win seasons that would have been 9 win seasons in today's era.

8 is very doable for us. Win a bowl that's 9. We did that in 2010, 2014, 2017, and I believe 2018?

At any rate that's possible for us. We won 7 last year so we're taking a 2 win improvement. It's not like we won 2 games last year or something.

Bothrops
03-23-2022, 12:39 PM
man, I hate to tell you, we aren't winning 9 games. Every team on the schedule already has their gameplan set against us. See Texas Tech for notes. And we don't have Charles Cross out there anymore.

We will be looking for a new coach after this season. It's unfortunate, but Leach doesn't recruit at an SEC level and he refuses to adapt his scheme.

You could say we've never recruited at an SEC level. Leach's last class is probably better than several we've had in recent years. My concern is going into the season with only one qb game ready, and he's coming off two bad outings.

HancockCountyDog
03-23-2022, 12:43 PM
I don't get how 8 regular season wins is too much to ask for next year in year 3 with especially with LSU having a complete rebuild, AU is in damn shambles and Arkansas lost a ton as well. Throw in the fact that the bears lost Corral who was responsible for at least 3 of their wins last year, I don't see how 8 wins is some type of miracle.

We should be favored against AU and Arkansas and I bet we will be under a 6 point dog against LSU, and my guess a pick em against Ole Miss. This is also making A&M a free shot for Leach at home. I'm not expecting that one, which is pretty generous.

8 regular season wins with everything we have returning is a good season. I think we should expect a good season in year 3 after dealing with some pretty shitty games the last two years.

Bothrops
03-23-2022, 12:50 PM
We're passing on some instate kids because of the offense we run. OM is about to clean up in-state this year too. We can't even fill our spots with portal guys. We'll see what's left after spring ball, but I'm not optimistic at this point.

Ole Miss didn't clean up in state for '22. We did better there. They did try a lot harder the portal than we did and results show it.

Jack Lambert
03-23-2022, 12:51 PM
Ya'll forget Ole Miss lost their best player. Ole Miss lost 14 other starters. Ole Miss had numerous guys transfer. Their backs are against the wall. All these transfers might pan out or they might wash out. They are transfers and they are transfers for a reason. Do we know for sure Leach skipped? What was the reason. You all are assuming the worse. "Just State Fans doing what they do best"

HoopsDawg
03-23-2022, 12:57 PM
I think fans get too caught up in number of wins. That's fine at Bama I guess. But one of my favorite years was Mullen's 1st year. We only went 5-7. But you could tell the brand of football and style of offense was going to work at MSU. We played hard every game. Nearly beat LSU. Beat Ole Miss by double digits. And didn't embarrass ourselves in any game. You could tell with a couple of good recruiting classes, we could have a special year. And of course we ended up having 3 or 4 special years including Mullen's 2nd season.

TrapGame
03-23-2022, 12:58 PM
Ya'll forget Ole Miss lost their best player. Ole Miss lost 14 other starters. Ole Miss had numerous guys transfer. Their backs are against the wall. All these transfers might pan out or they might wash out. They are transfers and they are transfers for a reason. Do we know for sure Leach skipped? What was the reason. You all are assuming the worse. "Just State Fans doing what they do best"

This has become the norm for this board. Folks wanna give Lane a blowjob while flipping the bird at Leach.

msugolf
03-23-2022, 01:04 PM
I don't get how 8 regular season wins is too much to ask for next year in year 3 with especially with LSU having a complete rebuild, AU is in damn shambles and Arkansas lost a ton as well. Throw in the fact that the bears lost Corral who was responsible for at least 3 of their wins last year, I don't see how 8 wins is some type of miracle.

We should be favored against AU and Arkansas and I bet we will be under a 6 point dog against LSU, and my guess a pick em against Ole Miss. This is also making A&M a free shot for Leach at home. I'm not expecting that one, which is pretty generous.

8 regular season wins with everything we have returning is a good season. I think we should expect a good season in year 3 after dealing with some pretty shitty games the last two years.

Let's see how we look without the best OT in school history and our best offensive weapon (Polk) before saying we should be favored in any SEC game. We saw what we looked like against a statistically bad TxTech defense without Cross and it wasn't pretty. I have a feeling our offense is going to struggle mightily this year. We still don't have any type of playmakers that DCoordinators have to gameplan for.

Cooterpoot
03-23-2022, 01:04 PM

We have a few spots where we haven't even used our available scholarships yet. We're recruiting CUSA guys and have three off one damn team. We aren't even really trying hard. We'll fill them with somebody that loses their job in the spring and lesser players.

HoopsDawg
03-23-2022, 01:11 PM
Ya'll forget Ole Miss lost their best player. Ole Miss lost 14 other starters. Ole Miss had numerous guys transfer. Their backs are against the wall. All these transfers might pan out or they might wash out. They are transfers and they are transfers for a reason."

No one forgets that. Literally no one. But what we do see is that Lane and Ole Miss are working their asses off in recruiting the portal to do everything they can to set themselves up for success. Can you say the same about Leach and our staff?

Jack Lambert
03-23-2022, 01:22 PM
No one forgets that. Literally no one. But what we do see is that Lane and Ole Miss are working their asses off in recruiting the portal to do everything they can to set themselves up for success. Can you say the same about Leach and our staff?

How many scholarships do we have after this singing class? We are not in the same boat as the Bears. They lost way more than us. Leach knows our roster. So what's the big deal. You too worried about those **** heads up North. I suspect they will have locker room problems next season and add in they have the least respected and most childish coach in the country. He needs to grow his ass up. Tag this post and watch. They will have problems. Adding that we singed 21 and have 7 transfers. That's 28. Considering we had 10 or so seniors, a few transfer out and a few go pro just how many more can we get?

HoopsDawg
03-23-2022, 01:29 PM
How many scholarships do we have after this singing class? We are not in the same boat as the Bears. They lost way more than us. Leach knows our roster. So what's the big deal. You too worried about those **** heads up North. I suspect they will have locker room problems next season and add in they have the least respected and most childish coach in the country. He needs to grow his ass up. Tag this post and watch. They will have problems. Adding that we singed 21 and have 7 transfers. That's 28. Considering we had 10 or so seniors, a few transfer out and a few go pro just how many more can we get.

I believe we have around 5-6 unused scholarships for new players.

Cowbell
03-23-2022, 01:32 PM
We have a few spots where we haven't even used our available scholarships yet. We're recruiting CUSA guys and have three off one damn team. We aren't even really trying hard. We'll fill them with somebody that loses their job in the spring and lesser players.

Cooter you were pretty optimistic in the signing period. What has changed for you? What are you seeing/hearing?

RiverCityDawg
03-23-2022, 01:34 PM

You've been against Leach from the jump, so I know you can't be objective about it, but we got several transfers at positions of need including WR, OT, S, CB and Kicker.

Other than that, yeah I guess they didn't do anything in the portal.

Ifyouonlyknew
03-23-2022, 01:37 PM
You've been against Leach from the jump, so I know you can't be objective about it, but we got several transfers at positions of need including WR, OT, S, CB and Kicker.

We have 5 scholarships left. We haven’t been very aggressive in the portal since signing day.

Tater
03-23-2022, 01:43 PM
We have 5 scholarships left. We haven’t been very aggressive in the portal since signing day.

Ideally who would you have liked to see us recruit for this team with 5 scholarships left? I haven't seen many more DBs / OL worth pursuing. WR is always a need. Not sure though what could have been done better except delaying when we got our transfer commits?

HoopsDawg
03-23-2022, 01:48 PM

I'm pro MSU. We aren't going anywhere with Leach in charge.

RiverCityDawg
03-23-2022, 01:48 PM

Who is in there at positions of need that we could get? I genuinely don't know, but haven't seen any names pop up. Wasn't the plan to hit it again after spring once we see some things with our new guys and another wave of players hit the portal?

If we're missing out on guys we should be on right now, fair enough, but to act like we haven't been active in the portal this year and last is wrong. I've seen that expressed multiple times recently and I don't know where it's coming from. Hell, 40% of our pro-day participants were Leach portal grabs.

There are legitimate things to criticize Leach about, like not attending pro day, I just don't think his use of the portal is one of them.

Bothrops
03-23-2022, 02:08 PM
Who is in there at positions of need that we could get?

There are legitimate things to criticize Leach about, like not attending pro day, I just don't think his use of the portal is one of them.

It seems that we sloughed off sometime after getting the CB from Bama in the boat. We got out worked on the OT from W Kentucky that ended up at Ole Miss.

calidawg
03-23-2022, 02:10 PM
This was always the deal with Leach. If he can't beat OM and win 7 or 8 games then it's over.

MaroonFlounder
03-23-2022, 02:14 PM
I'm pro MSU. We aren't going anywhere with Leach in charge.

You should stick to commenting about Hoops.

You ok with the Jans hire, or no?

HancockCountyDog
03-23-2022, 02:15 PM

That assumes we don't have anyone else transfer out before the first game - i think every SEC program should expect to lose 2-4 guys in August.

OLJWales
03-23-2022, 02:25 PM

This. And 17 OM To Death.

OLJWales
03-23-2022, 02:31 PM

Does having 5 schollies left dictate portal work or lack thereof?

Ifyouonlyknew
03-23-2022, 02:34 PM
Ideally who would you have liked to see us recruit for this team with 5 scholarships left? I haven't seen many more DBs / OL worth pursuing. WR is always a need. Not sure though what could have been done better except delaying when we got our transfer commits?

An OL, CB, S, WR, & Rush End. We’ve offered less than 5 kids in the last 3 months. Kids have been signing & committing but we haven’t been aggressive enough. Corey Rucker WR from Arkansas St originally from MS is a perfect example.

Ifyouonlyknew
03-23-2022, 02:35 PM
That assumes we don't have anyone else transfer out before the first game - i think every SEC program should expect to lose 2-4 guys in August.

5 is still the max we can sign even if we lost 10 kids after spring.

Ifyouonlyknew
03-23-2022, 02:35 PM

The lack of offers dictate lack of work.

BayouDawg
03-23-2022, 02:36 PM
Its not apples to apples comparing our transfer recruiting to ole miss. They are being very aggressive because they have no choice. They lost a lot of players and are going all in on the portal. It may pan out and yet it may not. Although I wish we would be more aggressive on the portal. But we dont have near the room they had. I expect it to pick back up after spring.

confucius say
03-23-2022, 02:37 PM

8 regular season is certainly doable.
9 is possible.

But 9 regular season being the expectation is crazy talk.

7-5 is the baseline at a place that spends less than everybody in our division, if not the conference. ESpecially when our schedule is rated the toughest in America.

confucius say
03-23-2022, 02:38 PM
I think fans get too caught up in number of wins. That's fine at Bama I guess. But one of my favorite years was Mullen's 1st year. We only went 5-7. But you could tell the brand of football and style of offense was going to work at MSU. We played hard every game. Nearly beat LSU. Beat Ole Miss by double digits. And didn't embarrass ourselves in any game. You could tell with a couple of good recruiting classes, we could have a special year. And of course we ended up having 3 or 4 special years including Mullen's 2nd season.

Dan averaged 7.1-4.9 here. Leach can do the same.

confucius say
03-23-2022, 02:41 PM

Lane ain't working crap. Just shows up for the photo op and posts a rented Porsche on Twitter. He's open about that too. He hates recruiting about like Hevesy. Talk to HS coaches.

He has a GM running that side of things. Same way leach does. And I'm fine with it honestly.

confucius say
03-23-2022, 02:43 PM
It seems that we sloughed off sometime after getting the CB from Bama in the boat. We got out worked on the OT from W Kentucky that ended up at Ole Miss.

We signed Lewis.
Though i think I'd rather have the OT from western ky

HoopsDawg
03-23-2022, 02:48 PM

Again, I don't get caught up in number of wins. There are too many variables such as non-conference SOS, East opponent, how good are the West teams in any given year. Leach is never going to totally shit the bed in a season. We run a ball control offense. And he reps the hell out of the same plays over and over. I can live with a 6-6 season every now and then if I have confidence that 9-3 is right around the corner. I always felt Jackie Sherrill was one good QB or one good recruiting class away from winning the West. (which he eventually did)

I don't feel that way with Leach. In today's world, you have to embrace the portal. You have to embrace NIL. You have to support your players (such as not playing in a bowl game). You have to get to know your players on a personal level.You have to be passionate about recruiting . (see Nick Saban, but also Shane Beamer, Josh Heupel, and Sam Pittman) These are all off the field things that Leach just doesn't do. On the field, there are a number of issues as well.

HoopsDawg
03-23-2022, 02:53 PM

^^^^^^^^

Bothrops
03-23-2022, 02:57 PM
Who is in there at positions of need that we could get?

calidawg
03-23-2022, 02:59 PM
Lane ain't working crap. Just shows up for the photo op and posts a rented Porsche on Twitter. He's open about that too. He hates recruiting about like Hevesy. Talk to HS coaches.

He has a GM running that side of things. Same way leach does. And I'm fine with it honestly.

What you're saying makes sense in theory, but it doesn't work that way in reality. When the guy at the top is lackadaisical or uncaring about a particular area of the business (in this case recruiting) it trickles down to the rest. OM has a much stronger foundation in recruiting within their culture, but eventually Lane's lack of effort toward it will come to hurt them too.

TrapGame
03-23-2022, 03:20 PM
What you're saying makes sense in theory, but it doesn't work that way in reality. When the guy at the top is lackadaisical or uncaring about a particular area of the business (in this case recruiting) it trickles down to the rest. OM has a much stronger foundation in recruiting within their culture, but eventually Lane's lack of effort toward it will come to hurt them too.

Lane's lazy. He hated all the meetings and check ins they had at Bama. Lane has a general manager under him that deals with a lot of day to day shit. Bo Bounds covered this on his show a couple of weeks ago. Lane is about as hands on as Mike Leach. But this is modern college football now. The days of head coaches grinding it 18 hours a day are over. A lot of that is due to social media.

confucius say
03-23-2022, 03:40 PM

It very well may. He is entirely dependent on transfer portal kids this year or he is staring 5-7 in the face.

We beat them head to head on Clayton, Lewis, Nicholson, Williams in December. Went 4-0 in kids we were head to head to them with. Clean sweep. But this thread read as though they are dominating us in recruiting.

Ifyouonlyknew
03-23-2022, 03:54 PM

Mullen last 4 years he avg 8.5 wins & we had 3 9 win seasons in those 4. That’s what we need from Leach & what we were sold with Leach. That’s why this season is so important. We return more production than any SEC school. We return like 17 starters. If he doesn’t win 8-9 games this season he won’t for a while. 2023 we’ll be replacing the entire defense. 2024 we’ll be replacing damn near the entire offense. It’s now or maybe never this season. He needs to get it done.

OLJWales
03-23-2022, 03:55 PM

So we are set and no need to improve. Good to know. Ever thought about running for office? You'd be good.

Eric Nies Grind Time
03-23-2022, 04:03 PM
Mullen last 4 years he avg 8.5 wins & we had 3 9 win seasons in those 4. That’s what we need from Leach & what we were sold with Leach. That’s why this season is so important. We return more production than any SEC school. We return like 17 starters. If he doesn’t win 8-9 games this season he won’t for a while. 2023 we’ll be replacing the entire defense. 2024 we’ll be replacing damn near the entire offense. It’s now or maybe never this season. He needs to get it done.

Don't worry baw. We are winning the west this season.

TrapGame
03-23-2022, 04:07 PM

I've been patient with Leach. My patience will run out if we win less than 8 games. Year three I want to see a well oiled offense w/ a salty defense.

basedog
03-23-2022, 04:37 PM

Imagine the talk if we get off on a slow or bad start. 8 to 9 wins is gonna be tough, hopefully our special teams are vastly improved.

Bothrops
03-23-2022, 04:48 PM
Judging from the last game I'm not expecting a well oiled offense, at least not right away. I expect a rollercoaster with the offense.

Ifyouonlyknew
03-23-2022, 05:49 PM
Judging from the last game I'm not expecting a well oiled offense, at least not right away. I expect a rollercoaster with the offense.

The majority of the offense this is their 3rd year starting or playing a ton. Not being good right away won’t fly. You have a 3rd year starter at QB. Both RB’s are basically 3rd year starters. Williams & Walley 3rd year starters. Calvin knows the offense better than anybody on the team. This is Tulu 3rd year in the system & he started half the season last year. RaRa was a Freshman All SEC. Cole Smith, Kam Jones, Dollar, & Sharp all have a ton of starts. There are literally no excuses. Nobody in the SEC is returning that much experience. The defense is exactly the same. We lost 2 & a half defensive starters. Emerson, Green, & the half is Brule.

Tell me again why we shouldn’t expect 8-9 wins this season?

Bothrops
03-23-2022, 05:59 PM
The majority of the offense this is their 3rd year starting or playing a ton. Not being good right away won’t fly. You have a 3rd year starter at QB. Both RB’s are basically 3rd year starters. Williams & Walley 3rd year starters. Calvin knows the offense better than anybody on the team. This is Tulu 3rd year in the system & he started half the season last year. RaRa was a Freshman All SEC. Cole Smith, Kam Jones, Dollar, & Sharp all have a ton of starts. There are literally no excuses. Nobody in the SEC is returning that much experience. The defense is exactly the same. We lost 2 & a half defensive starters. Emerson, Green, & the half is Brule.

Because T Tech shut us down

Coach34
03-23-2022, 07:32 PM
UPig will likely be ranked in the top 20 to start 2022. People thinking they are rebuilding are mistaken

Jack Lambert
03-23-2022, 09:44 PM

A lot of truth there. The offense looked like a Brand new Italian sports car against A&M. Bye week the next week then it ran like a 1976 AMC Gremlin that was missing a spark plug against Bama.

OLJWales
03-23-2022, 09:44 PM

You have a point but so does IYOK. Something definitely collapsed the last 2 games and I ain't football smart enough to explain in detail as to why. But overall we had some quality wins mixed with some shoulda couldas. Based on that and what's coming back gives creedence to IYOK's Take. It seems its a more overall encompassing assessment. I like seeing someone with good connections letting it be known Leach ain't riding the good ship lollipop this year and he needs to do better than mediocre things or else he may get it in the ear.

Jack Lambert
03-23-2022, 09:47 PM

My opinion they are waiting until after all the spring training to see what they lose and what comes available in the portal.

OLJWales
03-23-2022, 10:55 PM
My opinion they are waiting until after all the spring training to see what they lose and what comes available in the portal.

Hopefully somebody's working the phones and ain't lolligagging till the last moment.

Cooterpoot
03-24-2022, 03:15 AM

Just about the only thing coming available after spring is guys not on the 2 deep. The OL recruit and DB are exceptions. I think they got in the portal late. But there's nobody out there that's going to blow us away. Props for getting a couple guys early, but we needed more.

confucius say
03-24-2022, 12:20 PM

You're counting bowl games that Dan didn't even coach. Bowl games are a toss up and half the teams don't even show up. We were without 16 players in our last one.

Dans last 4 years, 2014-2017, we averaged 7.75 wins and 4.25 losses per year in the regular season. That was dans best 4 year run. Exceptional for a school like ours honestly.
I think leach can match dans 7.1-4.9 average.
We'll see.

confucius say
03-24-2022, 12:24 PM
I've been patient with Leach. My patience will run out if we win less than 8 games. Year three I want to see a well oiled offense w/ a salty defense.

The worst job in the division playing the toughest schedule in the country and we are done with our coach if anything less than 8-4? Tough crowd.

confucius say
03-24-2022, 12:29 PM

Bc we will have less talent than 8 of our 12 opponents (Unless you don't believe in the accuracy of recruiting rankings). Much less than 5.

NCDawg
03-24-2022, 12:31 PM

It's not going to be too good if we lose to the University of Mississippi Rebels 3 years in a row. A lot of fans may be a little upset.

TrapGame
03-24-2022, 01:12 PM
The worst job in the division playing the toughest schedule in the country and we are done with our coach if anything less than 8-4? Tough crowd.

3rd year, Chief. Gotta see something. Tough schedule be damned. This the SEC it's always tough. I'll pump some sunshine but I ain't pumping bullshit.

MedDawg
03-24-2022, 01:29 PM
The majority of the offense this is their 3rd year starting or playing a ton. Not being good right away won?t fly. You have a 3rd year starter at QB. Both RB?s are basically 3rd year starters. Williams & Walley 3rd year starters. Calvin knows the offense better than anybody on the team. This is Tulu 3rd year in the system & he started half the season last year. RaRa was a Freshman All SEC. Cole Smith, Kam Jones, Dollar, & Sharp all have a ton of starts. There are literally no excuses. Nobody in the SEC is returning that much experience. The defense is exactly the same. We lost 2 & a half defensive starters. Emerson, Green, & the half is Brule.

As much as I'm a sunshine pumper and Leach apologist, I agree with that. We should be ready for the early season as much as anyone. We finally have some experience, and it's returning experience and not a team full of unknown portal guys.

gtowndawg
03-24-2022, 01:31 PM
It's not going to be too good if we lose to the University of Mississippi Rebels 3 years in a row. A lot of fans may be a little upset.

A little upset?

TrapGame
03-24-2022, 01:37 PM
As much as I'm a sunshine pumper and Leach apologist, I agree with that. We should be ready for the early season as much as anyone. We finally have some experience, and it's returning experience and not a team full of unknown portal guys.

Exactly.

I'm all for giving Leach time.

It's year three.

It's time.

Commercecomet24
03-24-2022, 01:59 PM
Exactly.

I'm all for giving Leach time.

It's year three.

It's time.

I like Leach a lot but he needs to beat om this year and we need to have a good year. A good year to me would be 7 wins(regular season) and beating om, a very good year would be 8 and beating om, more than 8 wins I would consider a great year. We have to play well and hard and look competent. We definitely have to beat om this year or he's gonna lose just about everyone and at that point he's dead in the water.

Ifyouonlyknew
03-24-2022, 02:18 PM
You're counting bowl games that Dan didn't even coach. Bowl games are a toss up and half the teams don't even show up. We were without 16 players in our last one.

Dans last 4 years, 2014-2017, we averaged 7.75 wins and 4.25 losses per year in the regular season. That was dans best 4 year run. Exceptional for a school like ours honestly.
I think leach can match dans 7.1-4.9 average.
We'll see.

Bowl games? Or 1 game?

Since when do bowl games not count?

Ok by that logic Leach has avg 5 wins his 2 seasons. He better get to winning if he’s going to avg 7.1 regular season wins.

Bottom line Mullen & his program had 3 9 win or more seasons his last 4 seasons. Those are facts without any ifs, ands, or buts. Leach need to hit that this year because if he doesn’t in 2022 he’s not going to at MSU.

Ifyouonlyknew
03-24-2022, 02:19 PM
Bc we will have less talent than 8 of our 12 opponents (Unless you don't believe in the accuracy of recruiting rankings). Much less than 5.

I’m not saying you’re making a lot of excuses but if someone said this sounds like an excuse I would agree with that person.

TrapGame
03-24-2022, 02:20 PM
I like Leach a lot but he needs to beat om this year and we need to have a good year. A good year to me would be 7 wins(regular season) and beating om, a very good year would be 8 and beating om, more than 8 wins I would consider a great year. We have to play well and hard and look competent. We definitely have to beat om this year or he's gonna lose just about everyone and at that point he's dead in the water.

This team is built for a decent year. We have more returning experience than just about any SEC team. This needs to be at least an 8 win season, including a win over OM, for me to continue my patient support of Leach. If we **** around and only win 6 games and lose to OM again I'm all for Cohen pulling the trigger on the experiment.

Commercecomet24
03-24-2022, 02:24 PM
This team is built for a decent year. We have more returning experience than just about any SEC team. This needs to be at least an 8 win season, including a win over OM, for me to continue my patient support of Leach. If we **** around and only win 6 games and lose to OM again I'm all for Cohen pulling the trigger on the experiment.

I tend to agree.The only way I would want to keep him if he loses to om again is if we have 11 wins going into the Egg Bowl, lol. I still thinks 7 wins with an om win is my floor for this year based on the schedule but I want us to do better.

Ifyouonlyknew
03-24-2022, 02:28 PM
As long as he makes a bowl game he’s not getting fired. Whether he beats OM or not. Cohen is going to give Leach a longer leash because he’s a very important hire for him.

Commercecomet24
03-24-2022, 02:29 PM
As long as he makes a bowl game he’s not getting fired. Whether he beats OM or not. Cohen is going to give Leach a longer leash because he’s a very important hire for him.

I believe you're right but if he loses to om again there's gonna be a lot of support bailing on him.

TrapGame
03-24-2022, 02:43 PM

And fan support will crater. Cohen better hope Jans gets us to the Tourney next year. 6-6 and a bowl game is unacceptable next season. Year three with a veteran offense, 6-6 ain't cutting it. Throw in a loss to OM and people will bail on football the way they did basketball.

confucius say
03-24-2022, 02:57 PM

I agree with 7 being a good year. Less than that is an issue.

confucius say
03-24-2022, 03:09 PM
Bowl games? Or 1 game?

Since when do bowl games not count?

Ok by that logic Leach has avg 5 wins his 2 seasons. He better get to winning if he’s going to avg 7.1 regular season wins.

Bottom line Mullen & his program had 3 9 win or more seasons his last 4 seasons. Those are facts without any ifs, ands, or buts. Leach need to hit that this year because if he doesn’t in 2022 he’s not going to at MSU.

1 game. Following the 2017 season.

Bowl games have always been a horrible way to judge a team and coach, especially since players started quitting before the bowl games and don't care to show up.

Sure, but then you have to remove dans nonconference wins from a year since leach didn't get to play any in 2020.

******* last 4 years were 8-4, 10-2, 5-7, 8-4. That's 7.75 wins a year. If you count bowl games he won, it's 8.25. So an 8-4 2022 regular season tops what Dan averaged in the regular season his last 4 years.

Ifyouonlyknew
03-24-2022, 03:34 PM
1 game. Following the 2017 season.

Bowl games have always been a horrible way to judge a team and coach, especially since players started quitting before the bowl games and don't care to show up.

Sure, but then you have to remove dans nonconference wins from a year since leach didn't get to play any in 2020.

******* last 4 years were 8-4, 10-2, 5-7, 8-4. That's 7.75 wins a year. If you count bowl games he won, it's 8.25. So an 8-4 2022 regular season tops what Dan averaged in the regular season his last 4 years.

Mississippi State University won 10 games in 2014, 9 games in 2015, 6 in 2016, & 9 in 2017.

Manipulate the #’s anyway you want the record book has 3 9 win seasons in Mullen last 4 years. Anything is just talk. Mullen last 4 seasons MSU won 34 games. That’s not speculation that’s just conjecture that’s truth.

bulldawg28
03-24-2022, 03:43 PM
I'm still upset that Leach didn't attend Pro Day. Barring some major situation that screams I don't care. I've never heard of any successful coach doing players like that. Current players are watching this. The because I said so mentality will become a downfall quickly. However, Leach is pimping this university so he wins either way.

calidawg
03-24-2022, 03:44 PM
As long as he makes a bowl game he?s not getting fired. Whether he beats OM or not. Cohen is going to give Leach a longer leash because he?s a very important hire for him.

that's all good and well to say now, but if we go 6-6 with an OM loss (for the 3rd year in a row) the fanbase WILL revolt by ending their attendance. Cohen won't have a choice.

Ifyouonlyknew
03-24-2022, 03:57 PM
that's all good and well to say now, but if we go 6-6 with an OM loss (for the 3rd year in a row) the fanbase WILL revolt by ending their attendance. Cohen won't have a choice.

He make a bowl Cohen isn’t firing him minus an off-field incident.

HoopsDawg
03-24-2022, 05:03 PM

6-6 with a loss to Ole Miss again, no way he keeps his job. We have 4 gimmie wins on the schedule.

OLJWales
03-24-2022, 05:31 PM

I thought you were saying something different previously regarding this year's expectations as if Leach was on notice sir .

Ifyouonlyknew
03-24-2022, 05:38 PM
I thought you were saying something different previously regarding this year's expectations as if Leach was on notice sir .

My opinion is we should win a minimum 8 regular season games.

My expectation is that if he goes 6-6 Cohen isn’t going to get rid of him.

OLJWales
03-24-2022, 05:46 PM
My opinion is we should win a minimum 8 regular season games.

My expectation is that if he goes 6-6 Cohen isn’t going to get rid of him.

Gotcha. I take it then Your's & Cohen's minimum expectations may differ.

Ifyouonlyknew
03-24-2022, 06:07 PM
Gotcha. I take it then Your's & Cohen's minimum expectations may differ.

Not sure.

confucius say
03-24-2022, 10:00 PM
Mississippi State University won 10 games in 2014, 9 games in 2015, 6 in 2016, & 9 in 2017.

Manipulate the #’s anyway you want the record book has 3 9 win seasons in Mullen last 4 years. Anything is just talk. Mullen last 4 seasons MSU won 34 games. That’s not speculation that’s just conjecture that’s truth.

It's not manipulation. It's a fact. I'm just counting regular season games and you are counting bowl games. Both are facts.

But to get to 34 you are giving Dan credit for a game in which he didn't even coach. At best, even counting bowl games, dan won 33 games his last four years, which is 8.25 as I stated above (Which is phenomenal at Miss State by the way- never been done before and likely never will again).

confucius say
03-24-2022, 10:07 PM
If we go 8-4 against the toughest schedule in college football with the worst talent in the west then leach should probably win sec coach of the year.
Certainly should at 9-3.

Catfish
03-24-2022, 10:20 PM
If we go 8-4 against the toughest schedule in college football with the worst talent in the west then leach should probably win sec coach of the year.
Certainly should at 9-3.

Agreed, I would take 7-5 with this schedule.

Cooterpoot
03-24-2022, 10:26 PM

Either way, Cohen's ass would be on the hot seat. Keep him after a mediocre year would be a hotter seat than firing him.

Todd4State
03-25-2022, 12:45 AM
Either way, Cohen's ass would be on the hot seat. Keep him after a mediocre year would be a hotter seat than firing him.

I highly doubt Cohen's ass will be on the hot seat unless Jans, the women's basketball coach, and Leach all don't work out.

Ifyouonlyknew
03-25-2022, 06:47 AM
I highly doubt Cohen's ass will be on the hot seat unless Jans, the women's basketball coach, and Leach all don't work out.

& that’s the problem with MSU Athletics. We have to bottom out in everything before we see a problem.

PGHBulldogBG
03-25-2022, 07:11 AM
I may be wrong but I truly think Jans is an A+ hire and will end up saving Cohen. I think this is a home run and everyone who reads my posts know that I am the furthest thing from a sunshine pumper. I wanted Jans awhile ago we just didn?t have good enough cause to fire Howland before. I am 50/50 on Leach and always have been. He hasn?t done anything terrible to convince me he won?t work but he hasn?t don?t anything to convince me he will. I suspect this season will tell that tale

BrunswickDawg
03-25-2022, 07:29 AM

C34 used to make the argument that bowls don't count when he was being anti-Mullen. Posters have adopted that stance as a way to minimize what Mullen did.

BrunswickDawg
03-25-2022, 07:50 AM
& that’s the problem with MSU Athletics. We have to bottom out in everything before we see a problem.

I think it has been a problem, but I don't know that it is now. Firing Moorhead after 2 season (both seasons making Bowls and wins over OM) went against the typical MSU way - and shocked a lot of outsiders. Honestly, it can be argued that letting Howland go this season does too - in the old days we would have kept him until we had multiple seasons with losing records. Don't mistake that for when we should have fired either of them - but it would have been suicide to fire Moorhead after 1 season unless there was a scandal. In hindsight, I think he could have been fired for the cheating, but that would have probably been a stretch.

PMDawg
03-25-2022, 10:45 AM

Leach teams typically perform poorly in game 1 and in bowl games, right? Kind of like triple option teams (with the exception of whenever we play them in bowl games). I don't know how much the TT game means. Now, that makes the Memphis game pretty scary, and that's one we have to have. It also doesn't explain the Ole Miss debacle last year. We should have been playing our best at that point, and we stunk it up for 90% of that game.

TrapGame
03-25-2022, 10:49 AM
Leach teams typically perform poorly in game 1 and in bowl games, right? Kind of like triple option teams (with the exception of whenever we play them in bowl games). I don't know how much the TT game means. Now, that makes the Memphis game pretty scary, and that's one we have to have. It also doesn't explain the Ole Miss debacle last year. We should have been playing our best at that point, and we stunk it up for 90% of that game.

We better come out fired up ready to play. I ain't sunshine pumping next season.

confucius say
03-25-2022, 11:45 AM
C34 used to make the argument that bowls don't count when he was being anti-Mullen. Posters have adopted that stance as a way to minimize what Mullen did.

And what is funny about that is that C34 has also used bowl games when it helps his argument.

I've never believed bowl games are an accurate barometer, especially since about 2015 when the players started quitting before the bowl games.

Making a bowl game is important for a myriad of reasons (publicity, practice, means a good year, etc), but the game itself is nothing more than an exhibition unless it is a playoff game.

PGHBulldogBG
03-25-2022, 12:16 PM
Bowl games are a terrible measuring stick unless it?s a playoff or NY6. The other ones are just pointless. I like watching football so I don?t complain about there being too many like others do, but I don?t get to worked up about whether we win or lose them. The orange bowl was different that annoyed me how unprepared we were because that?s a big game on a big stage.

BrunswickDawg
03-25-2022, 12:19 PM
And what is funny about that is that C34 has also used bowl games when it helps his argument.

I've never believed bowl games are an accurate barometer, especially since about 2015 when the players started quitting before the bowl games.

Making a bowl game is important for a myriad of reasons (publicity, practice, means a good year, etc), but the game itself is nothing more than an exhibition unless it is a playoff game.

Another factor is the approach that coaches take to bowl games. We all know Jackie looked at bowls as a fun trip, and the team did too - and we lost a lot of bowls we probably should have won because of it. Leach seems to take the same approach.

Commercecomet24
03-25-2022, 12:20 PM
Bowl games are a terrible measuring stick unless it?s a playoff or NY6. The other ones are just pointless. I like watching football so I don?t complain about there being too many like others do, but I don?t get to worked up about whether we win or lose them. The orange bowl was different that annoyed me how unprepared we were because that?s a big game on a big stage.

delete

Commercecomet24
03-25-2022, 12:21 PM

Yeah and Leach is .500 in bowl games so not poor as some have said. Not great but not poor, just average.