PDA

View Full Version : Riley Kugel Decommits

Bulldog1
03-22-2022, 07:37 PM
https://twitter.com/TiptonEdits/status/1506411646293528576?s=20&t=n4GvMhwfo9a-4et5pwmKlw

Not good.

msstate7
03-22-2022, 07:40 PM
This hurts

TALL DAWG
03-22-2022, 07:49 PM
This hurts

Just a part of a coaching change.
Not shocking for some of this to happen.
We?ll probably have some transfers headed out also.

OLJWales
03-22-2022, 08:03 PM
Not giving the new coach an opportunity to at least talk to him smells.

Coach34
03-22-2022, 08:22 PM
Not surprised at all. This happens with every school when a coaching change occurs.

We have hired a grinder as HC thats well organized. Let's allow him to get settled and get to work.

HoopsDawg
03-22-2022, 08:43 PM
Not surprising but hurts. I hope Coach reached out to him immediately. He is a baller.

msstate7
03-22-2022, 08:45 PM
Just a part of a coaching change.
Not shocking for some of this to happen.
We?ll probably have some transfers headed out also.

Really hope there isn't a mass exodus. I don't want a full rebuild

State82
03-22-2022, 08:49 PM
Not surprised at all. This happens with every school when a coaching change occurs.

We have hired a grinder as HC thats well organized. Let's allow him to get settled and get to work.

Yeah, we could have lured John Wooden from the grave to take over and there would still be decommits and turnover.

CovertDawg
03-22-2022, 09:04 PM
If you read the article, it says Mississippi State is still an option. While I doubt he does commit to MSU, it sounds like he is going to at least give Jans a chance to recruit him.

Pancho
03-22-2022, 09:32 PM
Is he a grinder on the defensive end? This will tell the tale.

Commercecomet24
03-22-2022, 09:50 PM
Is he a grinder on the defensive end? This will tell the tale.

Yes he's an excellent defensive coach that uses multiple defenses.

EdwardDrayton
03-22-2022, 10:14 PM
This hurts

Yes it does.

Todd4State
03-22-2022, 10:59 PM
Really hope there isn't a mass exodus. I don't want a full rebuild

Nothing says Mississippi State sports like "Mass exodus and full rebuild."

If that does happen I'm sure people like you will be patient.**

EdwardDrayton
03-23-2022, 03:02 AM

We?ve had a lifetime of patience. It?s a new day for Mississippi State fans. We?re 17n in charge now and we wait no more.

dawgday166
03-23-2022, 03:47 AM

7 with Mullen & Howland. Any other coached is f***ed.

https://media1.tenor.com/images/de76c66bfa111755bfb413f9f6c002f4/tenor.gif?itemid=9950990

Pancho
03-23-2022, 06:15 AM
Yes he's an excellent defensive coach that uses multiple defenses.
I am asking about Kugel and if he likes to play D. Coach Jans isn't going to be interested in any slackers in his first season.

NCMSTFAN
03-23-2022, 06:39 AM
As most mentioned, transfers and decommits typically happen during a coaching change. But you don't want too much turnover because this team actually does have talent. JD Davis is also transferring, I'm still curious about Tolu, Molinar (if he doesn't go to the NBA), Garcia, Matthews, Fountain, Moore.

PGHBulldogBG
03-23-2022, 06:55 AM
I really hope we can hold onto as many as possible. I know Davis is gone but Jans needs to try and keep the core group. That being Molinar, Tolu, Moore, Jeffries, Garcia and Carter. Retaining Fountain, Matthews would be nice but it might be a bit more difficult as they might want to transfer elsewhere for more playing time.

chef dixon
03-23-2022, 07:37 AM
Some of yall are crazy. With the portal now you can rebuild a basketball roster in one offseason.

Thick
03-23-2022, 08:14 AM
Some of yall are crazy. With the portal now you can rebuild a basketball roster in one offseason.

^^^^This^^^^?..plus look at what the portal did for us last year, and we still couldn?t get it done. The tournament up to this point really shows what great athletes vs well coached, disciplined teams that have a perimeter shooter(s) can do?..see SEC teams. It all starts with your coach. I will take a damn good coach with average/good talent vs great athletes all day long.

The 2 things that Stands did that I thought was really good was rebounding and he was not afraid to change defenses, halfcourt or full court from token pressure into halfcourt traps to that nasty high 1-3-1 defense. Of course, Richard Williams was the best on both ends?hands down! Just my opinion.

msstate7
03-23-2022, 08:19 AM
Richard Williams wouldn't have made those sweet 16 and final 4 runs today. In his first 8 years, he made 1 tourney (round of 64) and 2 NITs.

Not using this as justification for keeping howland bc I like the move to Jans, but here's howland's first 6 years (no postseason in 2020) - 1 tourney (round of 64) and 3 NITs

Commercecomet24
03-23-2022, 08:38 AM
I am asking about Kugel and if he likes to play D. Coach Jans isn't going to be interested in any slackers in his first season.

My bad. Good question

BrunswickDawg
03-23-2022, 10:01 AM

You can rebuild a roster, but as we proved this year, it's hard to build an actual TEAM.

TheLostDawg
03-23-2022, 10:20 AM
Sucks we had two top 200 guys committed. Would have been one of the better high school classes signed lately if I'm remembering correctly. However it stings less with the portal being what it is and knowing Howland hasn't done much with a great roster. Would have likely been much of the same of this year except maybe make the tournament but likely be one or maybe two and done. Would rather get this rolling sooner and later and let the new coach have some input with renovations so he feels more tied to the program.
I think our success with jans is who he keeps or brings in for recruiting and if they can get it done. We know he can coach.

Jack Lambert
03-23-2022, 10:33 AM
You can rebuild a roster, but as we proved this year, it's hard to build an actual TEAM.

We got to the final four with really only two good players, they were really good, but basically they only play six guys and the 6th guy was a Jackson Prep walk on. They played as a team and had a good X and O coach.

R2Dawg
03-23-2022, 02:00 PM
Not giving the new coach an opportunity to at least talk to him smells.

Yeah, he wasn't much of a Bulldog if he didn't even want to talk to new coach. I understand rethinking a commitment but he didn't even give it a chance. Lame

R2Dawg
03-23-2022, 02:02 PM
We got to the final four with really only two good players, they were really good, but basically they only play six guys and the 6th guy was a Jackson Prep walk on. They played as a team and had a good X and O coach.

Disagree. We had two 1st round draft picks but had a few more really good players. 00 was one tough, really good player. Bullard played really good on the run until semis. Big country played his role perfectly. A couple key guys off bench and that is enough.

CaptainObvious
03-23-2022, 04:47 PM
Did y?all not listen to the interview? Jans says he doesn?t rebuild and he doesn?t promise a rebuild. He expects Mississippi State to be in the NCAA tourney next year!

EdwardDrayton
03-23-2022, 05:00 PM
Did y?all not listen to the interview? Jans says he doesn?t rebuild and he doesn?t promise a rebuild. He expects Mississippi State to be in the NCAA tourney next year!

Well , he didn’t want to be out on his ass the first week. We expect to get something when he goes from $500K to $2.4 million in one jump. And on that note, seems we could’ve gradually increased to that over the four years. Anyone heard of merit-based pay in our athletic department?

Ifyouonlyknew
03-23-2022, 05:51 PM
Well , he didn’t want to be out on his ass the first week. We expect to get something when he goes from $500K to $2.4 million in one jump. And on that note, seems we could’ve gradually increased to that over the four years. Anyone heard of merit-based pay in our athletic department?

We weren’t bidding against ourselves. You want a hot commodity you have to pay. We complain all the time about MSU being cheap. Now the 1 time we go out & be aggressive & get the guy we want it’s an issue.

Thick
03-24-2022, 09:04 AM
Richard Williams wouldn't have made those sweet 16 and final 4 runs today. In his first 8 years, he made 1 tourney (round of 64) and 2 NITs.

Not using this as justification for keeping howland bc I like the move to Jans, but here's howland's first 6 years (no postseason in 2020) - 1 tourney (round of 64) and 3 NITs

No I get what you?re saying, but he also didn?t have the talent that some of our staffs have had since he left. I would also point out that his staffs were pretty good coaches, and at the end we?re not bad recruiters. I really enjoyed listening to him during our games?.great insight.

Johnson85
03-24-2022, 10:32 AM

We had two NBA players, one that played a long time, the other that had the talent to play a long time and outplayed Ray Allen in their matchup in the tourney. We had Daryl Wilson, who is still in discussion for best shooters in MSU history. We had an extremely talented point guard in Bullard (when he wasn't throwing the game or just melting under the pressure, depending on what you think happened against syracuse). That's a hell of a base to build around and much better than just 2 good players. We weren't really deep, but Russel Walters and Whit Hughes were both more than sufficient as the 5th and 6th best players on the roster and filled their defined roles pretty well. Tyrone Washington was a solid option to give short breathers to Dampier or Walters and Hyche was at least a threat from 3 if he needed to play, so it's not like we could only go 6 deep either. We had a solid 6 man rotation and a 7th and 8th man that could do what we asked of them.

speedy1972
03-24-2022, 10:55 AM

Let's not forget, Jans could potentially have a player or two from his NMSt team transfer as well. Not sure who on his roster would fit that role but with the transfer portal and the opportunity to leap to the SEC, I could see it happening.

smootness
03-24-2022, 11:29 AM

Somebody doesn't remember that team very well.

Leeshouldveflanked
03-24-2022, 01:00 PM
$2.4 Million is the average starting salary of all 3 new SEC basketball HC hires.

Leeshouldveflanked
03-24-2022, 01:02 PM
Tolu nor Molinar would have started for that team.

Pancho
03-24-2022, 01:05 PM
What if they had a good looking momma? You have stated that things such as this do pay dividends.

Leeshouldveflanked
03-24-2022, 02:01 PM
What if they had a good looking momma? You have stated that things such as this do pay dividends.
It can pay dividends in 10U USSSA Travel Ball.

Pancho
03-24-2022, 05:30 PM
No wonder your kid played.

HoopsDawg
03-24-2022, 05:45 PM
It can pay dividends in 10U USSSA Travel Ball.

haha

Ezsoil
03-25-2022, 02:18 PM
My contact said they were worried about Fountain and Carter leaving... if Kugel doesn't come I bet Carter stays ...and it's a good sign that Molinar is keeping his options open ....

Ifyouonlyknew
03-25-2022, 02:32 PM
My contact said they were worried about Fountain and Carter leaving... if Kugel doesn't come I bet Carter stays ...and it's a good sign that Molinar is keeping his options open ....

Carter is staying. Fountain may leave but he was leaving if Howland stayed.

NCMSTFAN
03-25-2022, 03:10 PM

To be honest I have a feeling we will see multiple guys leave. Davis has already left and Kugel decommitted, there's 2 spots right there.

Ifyouonlyknew
03-25-2022, 03:46 PM
To be honest I have a feeling we will see multiple guys leave. Davis has already left and Kugel decommitted, there's 2 spots right there.

We were going to have multiple guys leaving anyway. Outside of Iverson I’m not sure we lose anyone who we’re depending on next season. Maybe 1.

R2Dawg
03-25-2022, 05:14 PM
Carter is staying. Fountain may leave but he was leaving if Howland stayed.

Carter may stay but I know he is considering leaving. Hope they both stay.

BeastMan
03-25-2022, 05:54 PM
Kugel excercises

His options

NCMSTFAN
03-25-2022, 06:33 PM
We were going to have multiple guys leaving anyway. Outside of Iverson I’m not sure we lose anyone who we’re depending on next season. Maybe 1.
Who planned on leaving anyways? I know of 2, Possibly Fountain and JD Davis

Ifyouonlyknew
03-25-2022, 07:06 PM
Carter may stay but I know he is considering leaving. Hope they both stay.

He’s staying. Unless something changes over the summer he’s told Jans he’s all in & ready to work.

Ifyouonlyknew
03-25-2022, 07:07 PM
Who planned on leaving anyways? I know of 2, Possibly Fountain and JD Davis

JD, Rocket, Applewhite, & maybe Fountain. Everyone else as of right now are good we’ll see if anything changes.

msstate7
03-25-2022, 07:10 PM
JD, Rocket, Applewhite, & maybe Fountain. Everyone else as of right now are good we’ll see if anything changes.

If tolu is in your group, big win by our new coach

EdwardDrayton
03-25-2022, 10:22 PM
Depending on how it goes with the portal, some guys may get the decision to leave or not made for them.

Ifyouonlyknew
03-26-2022, 12:15 AM
Depending on how it goes with the portal, some guys may get the decision to leave or not made for them.

The 7 core guys we want to stay. Tolu, Murphy, Matthews, Garcia, DJ, Shak, & Carter.