PDA

View Full Version : Is something going on in Starkville...

State82
03-22-2022, 05:21 PM
this weekend other than baseball? Even during regional and Super last year I had no problem getting a hotel room. Everything is booked. Except for that one for Saturday night for $560. WTF??

TheLostDawg
03-22-2022, 05:29 PM
Track tennis and baseball (against Alabama)

Thick
03-22-2022, 07:20 PM
Phi Mu parent weekend too?.just saying

iPat09
03-22-2022, 07:22 PM
The air show is happening in Columbus. A lot of the hotels over there are sold out too.

OLJWales
03-22-2022, 07:23 PM
this weekend other than baseball? Even during regional and Super last year I had no problem getting a hotel room. Everything is booked. Except for that one for Saturday night for $560. WTF??

Would you mind divulging this establishment's name selling rooms for $560 with only baseball and tennis going on? I find it amazing someone would drop that kinda coin for a bed in Vegas. Really blows my mind; never heard no shit like dat.

was21
03-22-2022, 07:25 PM
Parents Day Friday thru the weekend

OLJWales
03-22-2022, 07:30 PM
Has word got out about a surprise Stones Show or something?

Cooterpoot
03-22-2022, 07:46 PM
Why is there a parents day? That's some 1960s type crap.

State82
03-22-2022, 08:31 PM
Parents Day Friday thru the weekend

Never heard of it but that must be it.

Coach34
03-22-2022, 08:34 PM
Nahhhhh- we got guys weekend planned. Thats why

State82
03-22-2022, 08:35 PM
Would you mind divulging this establishment's name selling rooms for $560 with only baseball and tennis going on? I find it amazing someone would drop that kinda coin for a bed in Vegas. Really blows my mind; never heard no shit like dat.

Ha! Me either OLJWales. It was one of the "better" establishments. Don't remember exactly now but Comfort Suites, Marriott, or one similar. I didn't pay much attention because that is 17ing laughable.

StarkVegasSteve
03-22-2022, 08:58 PM
More than likely it is this, once we won the national championship hotels knew they could jack up the rates because people started panic buying hotel rooms 6 months ago when they were 350-450 a night and so now hotels can charge whatever they want and they could care less if the room goes unoccupied. They still probably have 90% occupancy rate.

OLJWales
03-22-2022, 09:17 PM
More than likely it is this, once we won the national championship hotels knew they could jack up the rates because people started panic buying hotel rooms 6 months ago when they were 350-450 a night and so now hotels can charge whatever they want and they could care less if the room goes unoccupied. They still probably have 90% occupancy rate.

Yep. Pure unadulterated free capitalism that allows the well off while the rest of us are SOL. Careful bean counting goes on with those in charge of prices. The higher the price, the less demand and vice versa. I take this as a positive we have fans who will drop that much $$ for STATE.

Coach34
03-22-2022, 10:31 PM
I would sleep in my car before I would pay $200 a night in StarkVegas

Leeshouldveflanked
03-23-2022, 06:54 AM
Supply and demand.

OLJWales
03-23-2022, 07:05 AM
Supply and demand.

Exactly. Just like the stock market where hotel prices in Vegas fluctuate according to how well STATE is performing.

Johnson85
03-23-2022, 09:17 AM
I would sleep in my car before I would pay $200 a night in StarkVegas

For a lot of people, that would be them saying they will just never go to a football game again. Which I think that definitely happens. We haven't been to a football game in a while, just because for the amount of money on transportation, tickets, hotel room for the weekend, we can do a pretty nice three day weekend without having to drive nearly as far, and still enjoy watching the game on tv. Going to be interesting to see how it plays out over the next decade. I think in the short term, the tradeoffs of more expensive weekends for a smaller, but more affluent crowd makes sense. Not sure if you're still going to be creating next generation's die hard fans when they don't do a lot of live football games nad weekends in starkville.

starkvegasdawg
03-23-2022, 09:20 AM
Saw a post on Facebook about the Hilton garden in at $480/night this weekend.

OLJWales
03-23-2022, 09:48 AM
The same reason I've never seen Dak play living here some some 16 yrs. I've seen one game here in the old stadium. Hell even my son got to go visit Jerry World on a field trip but I've never set foot in there.

Commercecomet24
03-23-2022, 10:00 AM
For a lot of people, that would be them saying they will just never go to a football game again. Which I think that definitely happens. We haven't been to a football game in a while, just because for the amount of money on transportation, tickets, hotel room for the weekend, we can do a pretty nice three day weekend without having to drive nearly as far, and still enjoy watching the game on tv. Going to be interesting to see how it plays out over the next decade. I think in the short term, the tradeoffs of more expensive weekends for a smaller, but more affluent crowd makes sense. Not sure if you're still going to be creating next generation's die hard fans when they don't do a lot of live football games nad weekends in starkville.

Yeah I think you just nailed all the reasons that attendance at college football games is on the decline and has been for almost a decade.

Liverpooldawg
03-23-2022, 10:02 AM
The air show is happening in Columbus. A lot of the hotels over there are sold out too.
Don't underestimate this. That airshow always has HUGE crowds.

TheLostDawg
03-23-2022, 11:00 AM

They'll still get the students though but I get what you're saying. Turn into Alabama. Lot of fans that never have been too a game when we start doing good and low TV viewers when doing bad

TheLostDawg
03-23-2022, 11:01 AM
Saw a post on Facebook about the Hilton garden in at $480/night this weekend.

And I believe there is a minimal nights stay

Percho
03-23-2022, 11:04 AM
Methinks old P T Barnum knew whereof he spoke.

OLJWales
03-23-2022, 11:24 AM
Methinks old P T Barnum knew whereof he spoke.

LMAO. Solid.

Coach34
03-23-2022, 11:30 AM

No doubt. I'm lucky that I have friends there in town willing to provide me a place to stay when I come to town. But prices like that ensure that Little 34 and Little Wool wont make many visits to StarkVegas if any at all. Sports are quickly pricing out the middle class- at least the lower end. It's ridiculously expensive just to go to an NFL preseason game for a family of 4. Not alot of families can spend a grand per weekend trip to Sville.

Bothrops
03-23-2022, 01:05 PM
Has word got out about a surprise Stones Show or something?

Cannibal Corpse at the horse park \m/