PDA

View Full Version : Severe Weather Threat Today

starkvegasdawg
03-22-2022, 07:25 AM
SPC has kept the mod risk south of I-20 and is still mentioning a tornado outbreak possible in that area. However, Jackson NWS is seeing what I am and that is the hi res models developing supercells further north along the 82 corridor and saying if they develop they could, and probably would, go tornadic. SPC updated again at 8:00am and I am waiting to see if they expand the mod risk any. If not, I'm probably going to head towards Jackson and just keep an eye and see what develops where to try and get in position for it. But if you live between Hattiesburg and Grenada I'd keep an eye out today. The further north the threat may also be pushed further east.

Dolphus Raymond
03-22-2022, 07:51 AM
Thanks again for all your help.

starkvegasdawg
03-22-2022, 07:52 AM
As expected, mod risk now expanded into east central MS to include Starkville.

OLJWales
03-22-2022, 08:01 AM
Damn. My 81 yr old Mom lives in N.Jxn. Northside Dr & Briarwood area. Not Good. Thank you very much for the info. I'll be checking in for updates.

OLJWales
03-22-2022, 08:12 AM
If anybody knows about what time today the storm hits Jacktown, please update. Y'all MS Boys stay safe.

Here's a look at tornado damage we took yesterday here in DFW

https://www.fox4news.com/weather/severe-storms-with-hail-and-tornadoes-possible-on-monday-in-dallas-fort-worth

PMDawg
03-22-2022, 10:24 AM
What is the best place to look at radar that is not behind a pay wall? I don't really know what I'm looking at for the most part, but it seems that there should be some hi-res radar out there that would make it easier to decipher. I'm in the Moderate area in MS, so I want to see what's coming my way later this afternoon/evening. I have RadarNow! on my phone, but it's so blurry I can't tell much.

defiantdog
03-22-2022, 10:27 AM
What is the best place to look at radar that is not behind a pay wall? I don't really know what I'm looking at for the most part, but it seems that there should be some hi-res radar out there that would make it easier to decipher. I'm in the Moderate area in MS, so I want to see what's coming my way later this afternoon/evening. I have RadarNow! on my phone, but it's so blurry I can't tell much.
MyRadar has a good free app

parabrave
03-22-2022, 10:38 AM
Chasers congregating around Natchez. T Warning south of Alexander.

parabrave
03-22-2022, 10:40 AM

Nexrad was good for Hi res but that entire system has been down.

starkvegasdawg
03-22-2022, 10:45 AM
Nexrad was good for Hi res but that entire system has been down.

Most apps will offer radar that is hi res. But to be honest, for $9.99 you can't beat RadarScope.

starkvegasdawg
03-22-2022, 10:47 AM
Tornado watch issued. Here is the key text:

* Effective this Tuesday morning and evening from 1040 AM until
700 PM CDT.

* Primary threats include...
Several tornadoes and a couple intense tornadoes likely
Widespread damaging winds and isolated significant gusts to 75
mph likely
Isolated large hail events to 1.5 inches in diameter possible

parabrave
03-22-2022, 10:49 AM
Nice cell crossing the River around hollandale.

FISHDAWG
03-22-2022, 10:57 AM

Storm Radar app from the Weather channel has good radar and it also gives radar projected path on a future time line

starkvegasdawg
03-22-2022, 11:33 AM
Confirmed tornado north of Vicksburg. Debris being lofted to at least 6k feet.

biscuit
03-22-2022, 11:35 AM

!!!

OLJWales
03-22-2022, 11:48 AM

Just got off the phone with Mom in N.Jxn and nada so far.

starkvegasdawg
03-22-2022, 11:48 AM
More storms in the line going severe and gaining rotation. It has indeed begun.

parabrave
03-22-2022, 11:53 AM
Just got off the phone with Mom in N.Jxn and nada so far.

Just wait.

parabrave
03-22-2022, 12:03 PM
T warning for Jackson area.

OLJWales
03-22-2022, 12:08 PM

Thanks Para. Wondering if anybody knows what's looking worse now regarding I-20. North of it? South or in top of it.

parabrave
03-22-2022, 12:09 PM
Large Tornado on the ground near Edwards and Bovina sighted by a chaser. Where the Big Black crosses 20/

Dawg_Lover
03-22-2022, 12:11 PM

Do you know what area of Jackson? Son & fam in Brandon.

Dawg_Lover
03-22-2022, 12:12 PM
Never mind. Thanks

parabrave
03-22-2022, 12:18 PM
Trees across 20 near edwards.

parabrave
03-22-2022, 12:59 PM
Seminary and east towards Laurel and Bay Springs be alert.

msstate7
03-22-2022, 01:06 PM
When do you expect trouble around Philadelphia?

ArrowDawg
03-22-2022, 01:22 PM
It was pretty uneventful here in Clinton, fortunately. Sirens earlier, and a ton of rain.

OLJWales
03-22-2022, 01:28 PM
It was pretty uneventful here in Clinton, fortunately. Sirens earlier, and a ton of rain.

Sounds like Jxn avoided the worst of this one then but I'm sure there's more to follow though thru tomorrow.

ArrowDawg
03-22-2022, 01:55 PM
Looking like we'll be doing this again Wednesday of next week. Yay.

Pancho
03-22-2022, 01:57 PM
do tell

parabrave
03-22-2022, 02:09 PM
Looking like we'll be doing this again Wednesday of next week. Yay.

It's that time of the year. And with the Jet Stream is further to the south. Watch out in the Newton area,

DownwardDawg
03-22-2022, 03:39 PM
Bump. Watching Weather Channel and WDAM livestream app.

OLJWales
03-22-2022, 07:12 PM
Any updates on Jxn and what to expect for jxn in next 24?

parabrave
03-22-2022, 08:05 PM
New Orleans just got tagged.

OLJWales
03-22-2022, 08:20 PM
Y'all don't need no fancy high tech. Just listen to Festus explain Twisties to you.

https://youtu.be/kx6XGKfPnF4

yjnkdawg
03-22-2022, 08:42 PM
Any updates on Jxn and what to expect for jxn in next 24?

Jackson was cleared from the severe weather threat earlier this afternoon after the squall line moved through and the temperature dropped about 19 degrees to 57 degrees. There have been some more thunderstorms in the area, but with the temperature change they were non-severe as they have been elevated and not surface based which can produce severe wind and tornadoes. Forecast for tomorrow is mostly cloudy, with a high near 62. West southwest wind 10 to 15 mph, with gusts as high as 25 mph.

State82
03-22-2022, 08:58 PM
Y'all don't need no fancy high tech. Just listen to Festus explain Twisties to you.

https://youtu.be/kx6XGKfPnF4
Now THAT, is the original storm chaser. Damn that was funny.

OLJWales
03-22-2022, 08:58 PM
Jackson was cleared from the severe weather threat earlier this afternoon after the squall line moved through and the temperature dropped about 19 degrees to 57 degrees. There have been some more thunderstorms in the area, but with the temperature change they were non-severe as they have been elevated and not surface based which can produce severe wind and tornadoes. Forecast for tomorrow is mostly cloudy, with a high near 62. West southwest wind 10 to 15 mph, with gusts as high as 25 mph.

Gracias. So Jackson's clear till next week or still watching out the next few hours or so?

State82
03-22-2022, 09:07 PM
Gracias. So Jackson's clear till next week or still watching out the next few hours or so?

Everything has passed the Jackson metro area. All good according to radar.

yjnkdawg
03-22-2022, 09:31 PM

YW. Jackson has been clear since earlier this afternoon. I don't know about the next week. This is what the Storm Prediction Center says about next week. "By late Day 6, the GFS depicts an upper low reaching the California coast, while this feature remains well west over the Pacific according to the ECMWF -- which shows ridging over California. In subsequent days, the GFS advances the feature eastward, with its effects -- including surface cyclogenesis over the central Plains -- becoming evident, with respect to possible severe risk over the south-central U.S. Day 8/Tuesday. Meanwhile, the ECMWF shows this feature weakening with time, finally moving onshore over southern California Day 8."

Given these differences, predictability through the end of the period appears quite low, and thus no severe weather areas will be introduced at this time."

In other words the weather models are in disagreement on how the system will play out.

Pancho
03-22-2022, 09:33 PM
campus got hit pretty good

OLJWales
03-22-2022, 09:59 PM
campus got hit pretty good

Ouch. Hopefully we'll get a good assessment in the A.M. if not sooner.

yjnkdawg
03-22-2022, 10:08 PM

I like RadarScope Pro which is what most of the meteorologists use . However it is $9.99 per year (plus tax) , but I think it is worth it with all the features and the things you can do and see on it. You can google RadarScope Pro and click on videos and you can see how the app works and what you can do with it.

Liverpooldawg
03-23-2022, 10:05 AM

A few trees down and some car damage from that seems to be the extent of it.

OLJWales
03-23-2022, 10:19 AM
A few trees down and some car damage from that seems to be the extent of it.

Thanks man. Good to know nothing extensive or injuries.

yjnkdawg
03-23-2022, 11:39 AM

The storm was under the issuance of a NWS Severe Thunderstorm Warning when it hit our campus. Prior to, it had been a Tornado warned storm, but lost it's rotation before entering the county, and was thus downgraded to the Severe Thunderstorm Warning by the NWS. Some say the storm still had rotation when it hit our campus, but that will be left up to to the NWS to determine if it was straight line wind damage or a tornado, based upon their on the ground damage assessment. Some of that straight line wind damage in certain areas of MS was just as damaging as a low end spin up type tornado could do but in a wider swath.

RocketDawg
03-23-2022, 04:53 PM

The Jackson NWS covers a large physical area, and there were several storms within their jurisdiction yesterday. It might take a while to get around to assessing the MSU storm.

Probably somebody other than the NWS has some drone footage already to determine if there was a defined path.

RougeDawg
03-23-2022, 05:26 PM
Saying the one that hit here was a F3. Drove through area this morning on way to work and a good bit of missing roofs and snapped/twisted trees.

And as usual I got the warning after the tornado had passed just south of the house. Happens every time around here. Good ole govt systems at work.

Commercecomet24
03-23-2022, 05:29 PM
Saying the one that hit here was a F3. Drove through area this morning on way to work and a good bit of missing roofs and snapped/twisted trees.

And as usual I got the warning after the tornado had passed just south of the house. Happens every time around here. Good ole govt systems at work.

You ok? Any damage? Hope you're good.

RougeDawg
03-23-2022, 05:36 PM
You ok? Any damage? Hope you're good.

Yea we are good. Thanks for asking. Live just north of Tulane. Was watching from downstairs window and saw it getting real dark and windy. Looked at MyRadar app and it showed a potential twister. Looked like it trained down the river, through Algiers and touched down on other side of river in Arabi. The path of damage is just east of national guard Barracks.

Gonna have to ride by St. Bernard indoor range and make sure it?s still there. Expecting a delivery soon.

Commercecomet24
03-23-2022, 08:03 PM
Yea we are good. Thanks for asking. Live just north of Tulane. Was watching from downstairs window and saw it getting real dark and windy. Looked at MyRadar app and it showed a potential twister. Looked like it trained down the river, through Algiers and touched down on other side of river in Arabi. The path of damage is just east of national guard Barracks.

Gonna have to ride by St. Bernard indoor range and make sure it?s still there. Expecting a delivery soon.

Glad to hear you're ok! That thing looked nasty!

OLJWales
03-23-2022, 09:28 PM
Thanks to all you STATE Weather Dudes replying to my requests. Good to hear everybody's doing just fine.

starkvegasdawg
03-23-2022, 10:17 PM
I like RadarScope Pro which is what most of the meteorologists use . However it is $9.99 per year (plus tax) , but I think it is worth it with all the features and the things you can do and see on it. You can google RadarScope Pro and click on videos and you can see how the app works and what you can do with it.

You just can't go wrong with RadarScope. When I was out chasing yesterday my everyday phone has RadarScope in it, but I was using it to livestream. I have a burner phone with a free radar app (Wx) on it. It has velocity and some dual pol stuff but is not user friendly. As I had a tornado warned storm literally heading directly towards me I was extremely uneasy because I couldn't tell for 100% certain if the area of rotation was going to miss me or come right over me. Several sphincter tightening moments as I was hoping I was far enough east to be clear of a tornado if one was there. I decided then snd there next chase I'm using my burner to steam and keeping my regular phone free for RadarScope. The base package is a one time $9.99 and pro tier one (what I have) is $9.99/yr. So $20 for the first year and $9.99/yr after. If you want a good radar don't even mess around with the others.