PDA

View Full Version : Jans The Man

StarkVegasSteve
03-20-2022, 10:44 AM
Even though most of us have known for a few days, Thamel and Rothstein both reporting it. WE GOT OUR JANS

msstate7
03-20-2022, 10:49 AM
Well done, Cohen. I was hesitant to move on from howland bc I wasn't sure we would make a good hire. This appears to be a good hire, so let's just hope it works out.

CadaverDawg
03-20-2022, 10:56 AM
I'm hard on Cohen....but he did well on paper with this one. Let's hope it works out well

CovertDawg
03-20-2022, 11:00 AM
I forgot Jans already beat us in 2019 at the Jackson game.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/game/_/gameId/401169907

EdwardDrayton
03-20-2022, 11:12 AM
I'm hard on Cohen....but he did well on paper with this one. Let's hope it works out well

Fair to say Cohen’s future is tied significantly to how well Jans performs. We’ll see how it goes.

msstate7
03-20-2022, 11:20 AM
In Jans last 4 classes, he's signed 3 HS guys and 8 transfers. Looks like we'll be recruiting the portal.

StarkVegasSteve
03-20-2022, 11:22 AM
Probably not a bad idea since I think Molinar is the only person still left from his class. I mean we started 4 transfers this year with another coming off the bench.

OLJWales
03-20-2022, 11:23 AM
Well done, Cohen. I was hesitant to move on from howland bc I wasn't sure we would make a good hire. This appears to be a good hire, so let's just hope it works out.

Oh Yee of Little Faith

OLJWales
03-20-2022, 11:24 AM
In Jans last 4 classes, he's signed 3 HS guys and 8 transfers. Looks like we'll be recruiting the portal.

Good info

msstate7
03-20-2022, 11:29 AM
Probably not a bad idea since I think Molinar is the only person still left from his class. I mean we started 4 transfers this year with another coming off the bench.

Molinar (doubtful)
Tolu
Garcia
Jeffries
Cam carter
Moore
Kugel
Hamilton

I wanna keep these guys, and maybe on rocket and cam. Got to find at least 1 sharp shooter

NCMSTFAN
03-20-2022, 12:01 PM
Seems like a good coach but can he recruit to the SEC? I'm not overly excited but I hope he proves me wrong. I do like that he is an x and o guy, I just worry about the recruiting

thf24
03-20-2022, 12:09 PM

I'd like to think he won't have to rely on transfers as heavily here where it should be easier to attract core talent out of high school. But it also might just be where we are in college basketball now. We'll see.

Coach34
03-20-2022, 01:01 PM
Hire looks great on paper. Hopefully he retains George Brooks or he has no chance to be successful at State I hear

basedog
03-20-2022, 01:14 PM
Hire looks great on paper. Hopefully he retains George Brooks or he has no chance to be successful at State I hear

LOL.

STATEBALLIN
03-20-2022, 01:21 PM

Lol wtf!..Did you forget sarcasterics or are you serious?

TheLostDawg
03-20-2022, 01:44 PM
Fair to say Cohen’s future is tied significantly to how well Jans performs. We’ll see how it goes.

I thought it was how Leach does

TheLostDawg
03-20-2022, 01:48 PM
Seems like a good coach but can he recruit to the SEC? I'm not overly excited but I hope he proves me wrong. I do like that he is an x and o guy, I just worry about the recruiting

He almost beat Arkansas already, at the tournament, and did beat us. He should at the very least be able to recruit better than at nmsu.

calidawg
03-20-2022, 02:04 PM

I'm coming around to seeing your point. High School recruiting in CBB is virtually dead to the point of barely mattering outside of getting 1 or 2 and done players at the very top of the recruiting charts.

Being able to successfully navigate CBB free agency is different game than HS recruiting. I'm guessing you still keep Brooks for a high school pipeline, but not at the sacrifice of finding a great portal talent evaluator and free agency recruiter.

KOdawg1
03-20-2022, 03:32 PM
A++ hire from Cohen.

He'll need to hit the transfer portal to get us some guards. Hopefully he can talk Tolu into staying.

CovertDawg
03-20-2022, 03:35 PM
I think Mark Adams, the coach at Texas Tech is a good comp for Jans....not because of style of play but because they both understand the JUCO market so well and are highly regarded X's and O's guys. They know what is is like to manage difficult personality/second chance guys and get them to play really really hard. And while I don't expect us to become SecondChanceU under Jans, I do expect he will bring in a difference maker or two that is high maintenance but he is well prepared to manage.

BuckyIsAB****
03-20-2022, 03:36 PM
For those that dont like it, who else could we have gotten? He has done really well he has more tourney appearances than we have in 15-20 years

Commercecomet24
03-20-2022, 03:39 PM
For those that dont like it, who else could we have gotten? He has done really well he has more tourney appearances than we have in 15-20 years

Yeah and the guy has won everywhere he's been. He's not a newbie.

662dawg
03-20-2022, 03:40 PM
Molinar (doubtful)
Tolu
Garcia
Jeffries
Cam carter
Moore
Kugel
Hamilton

I wanna keep these guys, and maybe on rocket and cam. Got to find at least 1 sharp shooter

Fountain?

OLJWales
03-20-2022, 03:57 PM
Question for those more in the know than me. When a team gets a steal or RB, shouldn't that send a team signal to fire a quick pass to anyone open down court then push it inside for a close easy shot? I'm guessing we didn't do that very well, no? Are there stats for transitional points?

PGHBulldogBG
03-20-2022, 04:06 PM
We could hire Jay Wright, Tom Izzo, Bill Self etc and people would complain

StarkVegasSteve
03-20-2022, 04:15 PM
I think Mark Adams, the coach at Texas Tech is a good comp for Jans....not because of style of play but because they both understand the JUCO market so well and are highly regarded X's and O's guys. They know what is is like to manage difficult personality/second chance guys and get them to play really really hard. And while I don't expect us to become SecondChanceU under Jans, I do expect he will bring in a difference maker or two that is high maintenance but he is well prepared to manage.

Jans has a higher ceiling than Adams, but the comp is pretty good otherwise. Both preach defense and can adapt to their roster.

BankerDog
03-20-2022, 04:57 PM
Jans has a higher ceiling than Adams, but the comp is pretty good otherwise. Both preach defense and can adapt to their roster.

I always forget Texas Tech is your second school.

EdwardDrayton
03-20-2022, 05:06 PM
I thought it was how Leach does

That too. The higher level perspective is somebody better start doing something.

EdwardDrayton
03-20-2022, 05:08 PM
We could hire Jay Wright, Tom Izzo, Bill Self etc and people would complain

We can’t. So no complaints. Yet.

EdwardDrayton
03-20-2022, 05:12 PM
Yeah and the guy has won everywhere he's been. He's not a newbie.

Well, he’s won in the WAC, MAC and American Athletic. Maybe shouldn’t annoint him just yet.

Commercecomet24
03-20-2022, 05:15 PM
Well, he’s won in the WAC, MAC and American Athletic. Maybe shouldn’t annoint him just yet.

Not saying he's John Wooden but he's been a winner and has done pretty well for himself. I think it's a very good hire.

RougeDawg
03-20-2022, 06:26 PM
Not saying he's John Wooden but he's been a winner and has done pretty well for himself. I think it's a very good hire.

Does he make his teams practice against air like Howland?

StarkVegasSteve
03-20-2022, 06:50 PM
I always forget Texas Tech is your second school.

I think you know better than most my disdain for that cow pasture in Lubbock. It makes Starkville look like NYC.

Coach34
03-20-2022, 07:02 PM
I'm coming around to seeing your point. High School recruiting in CBB is virtually dead to the point of barely mattering outside of getting 1 or 2 and done players at the very top of the recruiting charts.

Being able to successfully navigate CBB free agency is different game than HS recruiting. I'm guessing you still keep Brooks for a high school pipeline, but not at the sacrifice of finding a great portal talent evaluator and free agency recruiter.

I'll be surprised if we keep Brooks- but who knows.

As to the rest- exactly. The portal is the way moving forward. It's important to bring in some HS guys and develop talent sure, but the portal is going to be what keeps your team consistently playing for important games in March. Having a staff to help manage recruiting thru the portal as well as in HS is what is going to make the success happen.

msstate7
03-20-2022, 07:06 PM
Hope Jans tries to get Devin Ree

chef dixon
03-20-2022, 07:47 PM
You honestly could not ask for a better hire for a completely dead program

msstate7
03-20-2022, 07:48 PM
You honestly could not ask for a better hire for a completely dead program

Completely dead? Jeez

chef dixon
03-20-2022, 08:06 PM
Completely dead? Jeez

I guess not completely dead. I'll give it you, you've been the last fan breathing and talking to yourself in game threads. It is admirable!

HoopsDawg
03-20-2022, 08:10 PM
I'll be surprised if we keep Brooks- but who knows.

As to the rest- exactly. The portal is the way moving forward. It's important to bring in some HS guys and develop talent sure, but the portal is going to be what keeps your team consistently playing for important games in March. Having a staff to help manage recruiting thru the portal as well as in HS is what is going to make the success happen.

Iowa State went 2-22 last year!! They are in the sweet 16 this year. You can turn things around in a hurry with the portal. How long will it take Jans.

R2Dawg
03-20-2022, 08:38 PM
Iowa State went 2-22 last year!! They are in the sweet 16 this year. You can turn things around in a hurry with the portal. How long will it take Jans.

So what is expectation in his first year?

20 wins? Sneak into NCAAT?

What does everyone think?

BayouDawg
03-20-2022, 08:47 PM
On paper this is an excellent hire. Hopefully it comes to fruition on the court.

Coach34
03-20-2022, 08:48 PM

Depends what we keep off this roster before we can do any of that

HoopsDawg
03-20-2022, 08:48 PM

First things first, I want to see how he recruits. He needs a couple of real players from the portal.

HoopsDawg
03-20-2022, 08:52 PM
On paper this is an excellent hire. Hopefully it comes to fruition on the court.

I wish we could have found a little bit younger coach who has a track record of a better pace of play. But all things considered, it's seems like a pretty solid hire. Good fit. And Defense travels.

msstate7
03-20-2022, 08:53 PM
I guess not completely dead. I'll give it you, you've been the last fan breathing and talking to yourself in game threads. It is admirable!

We're a respectable program. We aren't great, but certainly respectable. How you think we attracted a good coach like jans?

William Tecumsah Sherman
03-20-2022, 09:11 PM
I agree with what 34 said in another thread. We need some ?skilled? players. Not just athletes. I guess a true PG would fall under that category

chef dixon
03-20-2022, 09:16 PM
We're a respectable program. We aren't great, but certainly respectable. How you think we attracted a good coach like jans?

$$$$

PGHBulldogBG
03-20-2022, 09:17 PM
Jans has a top 5 winning percentage. Auburn, UK, LSU, Bama and Bama all lose before sweet 16. Good weekend!

msstate7
03-20-2022, 09:25 PM
$$$$

The last 4 years, we're 7th in the sec in wins. We're top half of a good conf

chef dixon
03-20-2022, 09:37 PM

It's not about the conference wins. We have an empty, dated arena. Very little fan interest. We rarely make the tournament which is all that matters. The program is not top half in the league. I hope it can get there and this hire is big on paper.

PGHBulldogBG
03-20-2022, 09:47 PM

Even though Howland was frustrating, he is part of the reason we landed Jans. He at least made us a middle SEC team to draw a good coach. Glad he got us to a position to hire a sitting top 5 winning percentage coach

CovertDawg
03-20-2022, 09:51 PM
https://twitter.com/coachchrisjans/status/1504490071801671683

Coach's shot still looks pretty smooth.

OLJWales
03-20-2022, 10:30 PM

https://youtu.be/0AEj3LA2vSo

Lord McBuckethead
03-21-2022, 12:19 AM
It's not about the conference wins. We have an empty, dated arena. Very little fan interest. We rarely make the tournament which is all that matters. The program is not top half in the league. I hope it can get there and this hire is big on paper.

Agreed. The Hump needs more than just a face lift as being done currently. We need a totally new facility. But we won?t do it. Students need to be on the sidelines to get some energy in the place. And there needs to be a dedicated section for non-season ticket holders can buy tickets to sit on the lower level. The blue hairs that have had tickets forever are boring as shit. Basketball is supposed to be fun. It isn?t.

Lord McBuckethead
03-21-2022, 12:49 AM
Maybe play a little zone and switch from full court pressure to some half court trap. Something hopefully to keep teams from running simple half court sets without us tacking them out of their rhythm. You know, exactly what every team does against us when they need a stop.

Hot Rock
03-21-2022, 07:59 AM
$$$$

We had money to spend in 2012 and then again in 2015 but yet we could not get a lot of interest. The program was a mess and then it got worse.

Enter Ben Howland a retired coach that wanted one more run.

Howland made this team respectable on and off the court with quality recruits and his integrity. They underachieved most years for whatever reason but the talent has been there to be competitive. With Howland, State has been around the NIT / Bubble NCAA team which isn't garbage. It's more than just money, State had money before but there wasn't any interest in the job. You have to present an attractive program to get coaching interest from even up and coming coaches. They get one shot to move up to the big time and they won't waste it on a place that was a mess that State had become in 2012-2015. Stansbury may could have fixed it but we will never know and many of us are still pissed he was let go but we need to look forward not back to be the best we can be.

Howland has positioned us in a place where good up and coming G5 coaches find us attractive, something we didn't have before.
so
There is a big difference today than 15-20 years ago, the SEC has a lot better coaching and a higher level basketball. It's tough to be .500 in this league these days but thankfully we have more money to spend to get there. So yes, it is about $$$ but it is not just $$$.