PDA

View Full Version : Lemonis on his club

Cowbell
03-20-2022, 07:40 AM
If you aren't taking the time to read through Lemonis post game Pressors, I highly recommend. He will straight up tell you the problems. This team is not as bad as what it seems at times. This team is gonna get right and be competitive. He thinks they are still a really good group and just feels they are trying to do to much and have all season. We hit 3 HR yesterday, including a grand slam and still found a way to lose. All errors off veteran players. Forsythe and Tanner made errors and they rarely do. Anybody that wants to bet against this team making the tournament, name your price to me.

Offshore Dawg
03-20-2022, 07:49 AM
Isn't the minimum goal to win at least one away and at least two at home each sec series, anything extra is gravy.

somebodyshotmypaw
03-20-2022, 07:54 AM
But we have to start winning. We are the 14th team in the SEC right now based on both record and RPI. The season gets shorter every day. The good thing is that we will have a very strong strength of schedule. So if we can get some wins we can move up quickly.

msstate7
03-20-2022, 07:59 AM
I hope you're right, but do you think he'd say the problem is we aren't talented enough?

Saltydog
03-20-2022, 08:00 AM
If you aren't taking the time to read through Lemonis post game Pressors, I highly recommend. He will straight up tell you the problems. This team is not as bad as what it seems at times. This team is gonna get right and be competitive. He thinks they are still a really good group and just feels they are trying to do to much and have all season. We hit 3 HR yesterday, including a grand slam and still found a way to lose. All errors off veteran players. Forsythe and Tanner made errors and they rarely do. Anybody that wants to bet against this team making the tournament, name your price to me.

What's he supposed to say, "we suck". The problem is pitching and it's not gonna be there.

msstate7
03-20-2022, 08:05 AM
We had a really shaky start in 2018 also and turned it around, so hopefully cowbell is correct

R2Dawg
03-20-2022, 08:12 AM
We had a really shaky start in 2018 also and turned it around, so hopefully cowbell is correct

Yeah, every coach is gonna say what he said. We have been really close all year. One play in a lot of games and we easily have 5-6 more wins and feel better.

But we got some big issues, maybe we can figure some out. We certainly got some sticks to do some damage, the D is there minus errors yesterday.

This ain't start of season any more. We are now in SEC play, margin for keeping the skid going are vanishing for 2022 season.

basedog
03-20-2022, 08:36 AM
It's called we gotta "Circle the Wagons", Lemonis is a great Coach and will figure things out. I bet if this losing trend continues, we shall see a bunch of new faces.

Leeshouldveflanked
03-20-2022, 09:13 AM
Croom always thought his teams were always close as well. MSU baseball is at the bottom of the SEC in almost every statistical category.

Cowbell
03-20-2022, 09:42 AM
What's he supposed to say, "we suck". The problem is pitching and it's not gonna be there.

Problem was not pitching yesterday

Todd4State
03-20-2022, 10:10 AM
Croom always thought his teams were always close as well. MSU baseball is at the bottom of the SEC in almost every statistical category.

How many National Championships does Croom have as a head coach? Also his goal was pretty much the Liberty Bowl so I guess I 2007 he was right.

Todd4State
03-20-2022, 10:12 AM
I hope you're right, but do you think he'd say the problem is we aren't talented enough?

That's not the issue. We're not consistently bad at one same thing every game.

magrooder
03-20-2022, 10:27 AM

We gave up 12 walks, I'd say that's a problem.

Really Clark?
03-20-2022, 10:37 AM

12 walks and pitching wasn't an issue? Yeah the zone was tight but pitching and defense was a major problem yesterday.

Coach34
03-20-2022, 10:45 AM
We are in a funk where are finding ways to lose. It's something teams do when they have inferior talent, no leadership, or alot of inexperience.

We've been pretty good defensively until yesterday- cost us the game in spite of the 12 walks.

We simply have to play better.

ArrowDawg
03-20-2022, 11:10 AM
That's not the issue. We're not consistently bad at one same thing every game.

I certainly hope talent isn't the issue, especially since Lemo is supposed to be a great recruiter. He didn't come here just to get to Omaha with players recruited by previous staffs. Now we're starting to become truly more of a Lemonis team, so the pressure naturally goes up. Hosting regionals is an expected minimum, and that appears to probably be out of the question this year.

DownwardDawg
03-20-2022, 11:39 AM
I will never give up on any State baseball team, but it's ok to go ahead and realize that this is not a good team. Not by any stretch of the imagination. We will be fortunate to make a regional. Hopefully we'll have something figured out by that time and we can win a post season game or two.

BayouDawg
03-20-2022, 11:57 AM
I just dont understand why Kam James never gets benched. He is a total liability. His family must give big money to the school or something.

Leeshouldveflanked
03-20-2022, 11:58 AM
How many National Championships does Croom have as a head coach? Also his goal was pretty much the Liberty Bowl so I guess I 2007 he was right.
Gene Chizik won a National Championship too. Lemonis winning the first ever National Championship in a sport 90% of the NCAA dont even try at with someone else?s recruits doesn?t guarantee future(or current) success.

Tater
03-20-2022, 01:20 PM

You should stop reading that guy's posts when you see the profile name. No intelligent thoughts. Can't think beyond his own nose.

calidawg
03-20-2022, 02:14 PM
Gene Chizik won a National Championship too. Lemonis winning the first ever National Championship in a sport 90% of the NCAA dont even try at with someone else?s recruits doesn?t guarantee future(or current) success.

1/2 a season removed from a national title in baseball and now our head coach is Gene Chizik and a lucky Croom... get the F out of here.

Commercecomet24
03-20-2022, 02:16 PM
1/2 a season removed from a national title in baseball and now our head coach is Gene Chizik and a lucky Croom... get the F out of here.

Yeah one of these things is not like the others.

mparkerfd20
03-20-2022, 02:32 PM

Nailed it. I will give him a pass for a season or so though seeing as he DID just win our school's first ever Natty.

basedog
03-20-2022, 02:33 PM
Player have to be held responsible just as much or more than Coaches.

Cowbell
03-20-2022, 02:46 PM
Player have to be held responsible just as much or more than Coaches.

Good job by Cade battling adversity today! I just don't see us getting swept this year as long as he is healthy.

BrunswickDawg
03-20-2022, 02:53 PM
12 walks and pitching wasn't an issue? Yeah the zone was tight but pitching and defense was a major problem yesterday.

I was sitting behind home yesterday. The ump was tight and terribly inconsistent. Yes we had 12 walks - UGA had 9 - to go with 18 combined K's. When was the last time you saw 21 walks in a game?? Let alone a game with that many K's, hits, and runs? Our pitching needs work, but that ump was trash.

Cowbell
03-20-2022, 03:03 PM
I was sitting behind home yesterday. The ump was tight and terribly inconsistent. Yes we had 12 walks - UGA had 9 - to go with 18 combined K's. When was the last time you saw 21 walks in a game?? Let alone a game with that many K's, hits, and runs? Our pitching needs work, but that ump was trash.
That's exactly how Ron and Jim explained as well

Commercecomet24
03-20-2022, 03:10 PM

Yeah ump was terrible. Even with all the walks if we play defense we win by 6-7 runs.

BrunswickDawg
03-20-2022, 03:14 PM
Yeah ump was terrible. Even with all the walks if we play defense we win by 6-7 runs.

Don't disagree. But I also think that the ump had an outsized impact - batters and pitchers were both guessing from inning to inning.

Commercecomet24
03-20-2022, 03:23 PM
Don't disagree. But I also think that the ump had an outsized impact - batters and pitchers were both guessing from inning to inning.

Agreed no question he had a huge impact. I actually thought stinnett stuff was as good as his past couple starts but the James error and ump really squeezing him especially on his breaking ball got him.

basedog
03-20-2022, 03:50 PM
Good job by Cade battling adversity today! I just don't see us getting swept this year as long as he is healthy.

Thanks Cowbell. He gives us a chance on Sunday.

BrunswickDawg
03-20-2022, 05:19 PM
Agreed no question he had a huge impact. I actually thought stinnett stuff was as good as his past couple starts but the James error and ump really squeezing him especially on his breaking ball got him.

There were multiple times all day where for either team everyone around me were saying "how is that not a strike?" I could actually hear the UGA play by play guy from above in the press box questioning ball calls for both teams.

As Jim said in pre-game - we know Stinnett can pitch like a national pitcher if the week, he's already done it!

Commercecomet24
03-20-2022, 05:20 PM
There were multiple times all day where for either team everyone around me were saying "how is that not a strike?" I could actually hear the UGA play by play guy from above in the press box questioning ball calls for both teams.

As Jim said in pre-game - we know Stinnett can pitch like a national pitcher if the week, he's already done it!

Yeah he was definitely equal opportunity bad for both teams. Ump Must've partied to hard Friday night

Todd4State
03-20-2022, 10:55 PM
I certainly hope talent isn't the issue, especially since Lemo is supposed to be a great recruiter. He didn't come here just to get to Omaha with players recruited by previous staffs. Now we're starting to become truly more of a Lemonis team, so the pressure naturally goes up. Hosting regionals is an expected minimum, and that appears to probably be out of the question this year.

We have talent. We have two almost surefire first round draft picks in Sims and Logan Tanner. Hunter Hines has a chance to be one in a couple of years. Cade Smith is very good. Stinnett was ranked a top 200 prospect by MLB.com as was Andrew Walling. Hancock, James, and Cumbest have a chance to hit over 10 home runs apiece and Hancock and James have done so in the past. Jess Davis won a gold glove for his play in CF. Kellum Clark is another player that will be an easy top five round draft pick depending on how he progresses but in his current for he is another 10 home run guy. Preston Johnson is one of the top pitchers in the SEC as far as strikeouts go and I think he is another potential MLB player. Jackson Fristoe made Team USA as a freshman.

It's not talent that's the issue. Our two "worst" using the term very loosely players are Leggett and Forsythe and one of those guys has one of the most clutch hits in MSU history and the other is pretty close to MLB caliber defensively. The issue is we aren't dominant like we would like to be. We're similar to Alabama football fans in that way. Which is good and bad- more good than bad IMO. Our fans want to play in preseason tournaments and win them, play big name opponents OOC and beat them, win the Governor's Cup, win the SEC, SEC Tournament, host as a National Seed and win the National Championship. And honestly- I think it's reasonable for MSU fans to have those expectations. We've done all of those things in the past. But very rarely do we ever have a team where we don't have a lot of things to figure out and have hiccups along the way. That leads to disappointing weekends here and there and throw in "that's baseball" which can happen to anyone any weekend. See MSU/Mizzou last year.

This team is good. Probably not National Seed good. Good enough to make a Super Regional? I think so. And not good enough to just run through the competition like hot butter.

We won't really reap the recruiting rewards from winning a National Championship for another couple of years. Just like 2013 helped us to build the 2015 class which included guys like Mangum, Stovall, Small, and etc. Two of those players- Mangum and Small flipped to MSU. Mangum had family athletic ties to every school in our region except for MSU and was committed to Alabama where his Dad played and his uncle played football at Ole Miss. Small we had to fight Vandy to get. But that happened because of the success we had on the field. The same thing will happen again a couple of years from now.

I just dont understand why Kam James never gets benched. He is a total liability. His family must give big money to the school or something.

Other than being a MSU legacy I don't know. I think he is worth starting. But I do wonder why we haven't dropped him in the order. May happen with Yeager playing much better now.

Chizik literally never had a winning record before he came to Auburn with Cam. Lemonis has had winning seasons every year of his tenure including at Indiana which is not an easy place to win much less sustain success at and made regionals three out of his four seasons there- which is roughly the equivalent of us making a SR when you compare resources between the two programs.

The Federalist Engineer
03-21-2022, 12:36 PM

https://images.squarespace-cdn.com/content/v1/5ab4527b3c3a536a7a352c05/1635949012282-DJ56URAPXL91BT1DERCP/FCzJGFSUUAMy6t0.jpeg

Homedawg
03-21-2022, 04:16 PM
We have talent. We have two almost surefire first round draft picks in Sims and Logan Tanner. Hunter Hines has a chance to be one in a couple of years. Cade Smith is very good. Stinnett was ranked a top 200 prospect by MLB.com as was Andrew Walling. Hancock, James, and Cumbest have a chance to hit over 10 home runs apiece and Hancock and James have done so in the past. Jess Davis won a gold glove for his play in CF. Kellum Clark is another player that will be an easy top five round draft pick depending on how he progresses but in his current for he is another 10 home run guy. Preston Johnson is one of the top pitchers in the SEC as far as strikeouts go and I think he is another potential MLB player. Jackson Fristoe made Team USA as a freshman.

It's not talent that's the issue. Our two "worst" using the term very loosely players are Leggett and Forsythe and one of those guys has one of the most clutch hits in MSU history and the other is pretty close to MLB caliber defensively. The issue is we aren't dominant like we would like to be. We're similar to Alabama football fans in that way. Which is good and bad- more good than bad IMO. Our fans want to play in preseason tournaments and win them, play big name opponents OOC and beat them, win the Governor's Cup, win the SEC, SEC Tournament, host as a National Seed and win the National Championship. And honestly- I think it's reasonable for MSU fans to have those expectations. We've done all of those things in the past. But very rarely do we ever have a team where we don't have a lot of things to figure out and have hiccups along the way. That leads to disappointing weekends here and there and throw in "that's baseball" which can happen to anyone any weekend. See MSU/Mizzou last year.

This team is good. Probably not National Seed good. Good enough to make a Super Regional? I think so. And not good enough to just run through the competition like hot butter.

We won't really reap the recruiting rewards from winning a National Championship for another couple of years. Just like 2013 helped us to build the 2015 class which included guys like Mangum, Stovall, Small, and etc. Two of those players- Mangum and Small flipped to MSU. Mangum had family athletic ties to every school in our region except for MSU and was committed to Alabama where his Dad played and his uncle played football at Ole Miss. Small we had to fight Vandy to get. But that happened because of the success we had on the field. The same thing will happen again a couple of years from now.

Other than being a MSU legacy I don't know. I think he is worth starting. But I do wonder why we haven't dropped him in the order. May happen with Yeager playing much better now.

Chizik literally never had a winning record before he came to Auburn with Cam. Lemonis has had winning seasons every year of his tenure including at Indiana which is not an easy place to win much less sustain success at and made regionals three out of his four seasons there- which is roughly the equivalent of us making a SR when you compare resources between the two programs.

He does have the highest avg on the team at present, so there's that......too add, he's a solid pro prospect.

BayouDawg
03-21-2022, 05:00 PM
He does have the highest avg on the team at present, so there's that......too add, he's a solid pro prospect.

This is true. I give him a lot of crap but he is doing good at the plate. I guess he just seems to make his errors at the absolute worst times.

Commercecomet24
03-21-2022, 05:37 PM

Also has an obp of .448. That's pretty sporty for a table setter.

was21
03-21-2022, 05:53 PM
Jim should come before Ron

Todd4State
03-21-2022, 06:58 PM
Also has an obp of .448. That's pretty sporty for a table setter.

The thing is he also only has two extra base hits all year. He needs to increase that a little bit.

Commercecomet24
03-21-2022, 07:25 PM
The thing is he also only has two extra base hits all year. He needs to increase that a little bit.

I agree but he has done his job getting on base. Would be nice to see an increase in extra base production which I believe he will.

Homedawg
03-21-2022, 07:50 PM

No question he does. And he will.

Todd4State
03-21-2022, 09:15 PM
I agree but he has done his job getting on base. Would be nice to see an increase in extra base production which I believe he will.

Right now I'd like to see Yeager hitting second. He can do damage. Drop Kam down some. Maybe between Hines and Kellum Clark.

basedog
03-21-2022, 09:57 PM
Right now I'd like to see Yeager hitting second. He can do damage. Drop Kam down some. Maybe between Hines and Kellum Clark.

Yes.

TNDawg35
03-21-2022, 11:58 PM

Yep. I agree. With the way Davis is hitting/walking now and with Yeager popping off, I think that would be a solid 1-2 punch. I still don’t get the Hancock at 3 hole. No reason to move one of our hottest hitters out of the 3 hole for him.

It seems our offense is finally starting to come around. We should have won the Tulane and the UGA series. I guess the good thing is it’s not the same thing costing us games all the time. It’s literally something different every game. If we can ever harness everything, I think we will be hell on wheels. The West is literally wide open this year as no team is really “elite” like usual… Everyone seems to have problems.

Davis
Yeager
Hines
Tanner
Clark
Kam
Cumbest
Hancock
Leggett/Forsythe

Homedawg
03-22-2022, 07:43 AM
That lineup puts the guys w the first and third obp hitting 6th and 8th

BrunswickDawg
03-22-2022, 07:53 AM
That lineup puts the guys w the first and third obp hitting 6th and 8th

https://c.tenor.com/i8OMlZpe19AAAAAd/moneyball-gets-on-base.gif

Homedawg
03-22-2022, 08:28 AM
https://c.tenor.com/i8OMlZpe19AAAAAd/moneyball-gets-on-base.gif

Right..... and you don't want guys w your best obp hitting 6th and 8th

Cooterpoot
03-22-2022, 08:39 AM
We scored like crazy this weekend and everyone wants to change the lineup? We scored like crazy ever since the Tulane series really. Pitching overall has sucked. Defense has been poor lately. I'm not concerned with the lineup.

Commercecomet24
03-22-2022, 08:47 AM
We scored like crazy this weekend and everyone wants to change the lineup? We scored like crazy ever since the Tulane series really. Pitching overall has sucked. Defense has been poor lately. I'm not concerned with the lineup.

Right, absolutely no reason to change this lineup.

Cooterpoot
03-22-2022, 08:58 AM
People need to realize our BA as a team is better than it was last year at the start of SEC play. We also have more HRs. We've got our inconsistencies, no doubt. But it's not as bad as some think. We just simply don't have the team we had last year. Injuries have hit us hard too. You can't replace the arms we've lost. Defense has to be better than this past weekend. Ball is going to be put in play more than last year. Defense has to be better. We win two at UGA if it was.

Commercecomet24
03-22-2022, 09:06 AM
People need to realize our BA as a team is better than it was last year at the start of SEC play. We also have more HRs. We've got our inconsistencies, no doubt. But it's not as bad as some think. We just simply don't have the team we had last year. Injuries have hit us hard too. You can't replace the arms we've lost. Defense has to be better than this past weekend. Ball is going to be put in play more than last year. Defense has to be better. We win two at UGA if it was.

Agree with everything you just said.

BrunswickDawg
03-22-2022, 09:21 AM
Right, absolutely no reason to change this lineup.

There are a lot of people on here that would manage MSU into the basement of the SEC real fast.

Commercecomet24
03-22-2022, 09:23 AM
There are a lot of people on here that would manage MSU into the basement of the SEC real fast.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to BrunswickDawg again.

basedog
03-22-2022, 09:29 AM

LOL, but in reality we are very close to bottom. We are getting better.

I will say as the year goes on, different players get hot and some slump, so changing things up isn't all that bad. Baseball is a strange sport.

Homedawg
03-22-2022, 09:39 AM
Fact is, we've lost 3 of our top 7 pitchers that we were counting on for this year. Injuries happen and that's part of it. But we can't go pick someone up. The ones we have are going to have to pitch better and pray hunt comes back sooner rather than later. Offense is more power oriented and w that more k's are going to happen. We traded dubrule for Yeager way more power with way more k's. James, and Logan's power will pick up. Heck, last year lotan didn't hit a hr until game 16 or so.

Commercecomet24
03-22-2022, 09:44 AM
Fact is, we've lost 3 of our top 7 pitchers that we were counting on for this year. Injuries happen and that's part of it. But we can't go pick someone up. The ones we have are going to have to pitch better and pray hunt comes back sooner rather than later. Offense is more power oriented and w that more k's are going to happen. We traded dubrule for Yeager way more power with way more k's. James, and Logan's power will pick up. Heck, last year lotan didn't hit a hr until game 16 or so.

I believe the pen will be the key to how far we go. The offense is starting to figure it out. Defensively even though we cost ourselves a game saturday has been very good(2nd in the sec) and the starting pitching is doing enough. We need some arms to stepup in the pen and imo that will be the key to how good a season we have. And hopefully Hunt gets back soon, that would be like adding a free agent pitcher at this point.

The Federalist Engineer
03-22-2022, 01:19 PM

If MSU can just chop wood, stay alive, you go to a Regional and win three or four ball games, you are in the Supers. Then anything can happen. When other teams start getting their share of arm issues, they will have less time to pivot and adjust, MSU can actually pull ahead. Those teams that are ahead today could be in crisis in May.

By the way, 2021 year was not a smooth ride either. Of the original rotation, only Bednar was still pitching to expectations at the end. Cerantola freaked out early and MacLeod started having arm issues in June. Then JF went from Maholm 2.0 to Cerantola 2.0 after the Vandy series, that was our #4.

By the end of the year in 2021, Houston Harding was the real #2 and Preston Johnson became a huge factor. The original pen aces were Spencer Price and Riley Self, they were done for the year inside of the 1st month.

The biggest regret that Lemonis and Foxhall probably have is that we did not pickup a JP France or Zach Neff graduate transfer. Having crafty seniors that compete and knows themselves was a key benefit of France and Neff. Solid players not high-ceiling basket cases.

Commercecomet24
03-22-2022, 01:49 PM
If MSU can just chop wood, stay alive, you go to a Regional and win three or four ball games, you are in the Supers. Then anything can happen. When other teams start getting their share of arm issues, they will have less time to pivot and adjust, MSU can actually pull ahead. Those teams that are ahead today could be in crisis in May.

By the way, 2021 year was not a smooth ride either. Of the original rotation, only Bednar was still pitching to expectations at the end. Cerantola freaked out early and MacLeod started having arm issues in June. Then JF went from Maholm 2.0 to Cerantola 2.0 after the Vandy series, that was our #4.

By the end of the year in 2021, Houston Harding was the real #2 and Preston Johnson became a huge factor. The original pen aces were Spencer Price and Riley Self, they were done for the year inside of the 1st month.

The biggest regret that Lemonis and Foxhall probably have is that we did not pickup a JP France or Zach Neff graduate transfer. Having crafty seniors that compete and knows themselves was a key benefit of France and Neff. Solid players not high-ceiling basket cases.

Yeah I think a lot of folks forget because we won the NC, that for a lot of the season our rotation was a mess. And then Lemonis and Foxhall got it all figured out!

Todd4State
03-22-2022, 03:16 PM

I believe the pen will be the key to how far we go. The offense is starting to figure it out. Defensively even though we cost ourselves a game saturday has been very good(2nd in the sec) and the starting pitching is doing enough. We need some arms to stepup in the pen and imo that will be the key to how good a season we have. And hopefully Hunt gets back soon, that would be like adding a free agent pitcher at this point.

Hunt is the wild card right now. IF he comes back he will help whether it's the bullpen or rotation. I've seen too many Wallings in my time at MSU and I know how that usually ends up.

I think we have something with Fristoe, Auger, Talley, and Pico. Tullar has been better lately too.

Add Hunt to that group and that's a bullpen we can work with.

I'll add that Brandon Smith has been good when he isn't running on fumes.

TNDawg35
03-23-2022, 01:57 AM
Hunt is the wild card right now. IF he comes back he will help whether it's the bullpen or rotation. I've seen too many Wallings in my time at MSU and I know how that usually ends up.

I think we have something with Fristoe, Auger, Talley, and Pico. Tullar has been better lately too.

Add Hunt to that group and that's a bullpen we can work with.

I'll add that Brandon Smith has been good when he isn't running on fumes.

Dammit I wish Fristoe would find his groove like he was at the beg of last year. If he would get right, it would be a total game changer.

Todd4State
03-23-2022, 07:43 AM
Dammit I wish Fristoe would find his groove like he was at the beg of last year. If he would get right, it would be a total game changer.

I think he has looked much better in relief lately.

I know he gave up the walk off hit but that was an almost impossible situation.

The Federalist Engineer
03-23-2022, 11:40 AM
I think he has looked much better in relief lately.

I know he gave up the walk off hit but that was an almost impossible situation.

Hey Todd, is Walling injured or something? Or do you suspect Jacob Barton Syndrome? Paul Young Disease?

HancockCountyDog
03-23-2022, 11:59 AM
I know I'm in the minority - but my focus is making a regional.

If I'm a top seed, the last thing I want in my regional is a talented MSU team on day 3 with our lineup.

Maybe its the fact that we are the reigning National Champions that is giving me this hope.

Come regional time, these kids will expect to win the regional. Just got to get there first.

Todd4State
03-23-2022, 12:24 PM
Hey Todd, is Walling injured or something? Or do you suspect Jacob Barton Syndrome? Paul Young Disease?

Steve Blass disease. Probably a combination of trying to do too much and just not being able to throw strikes.