PDA

View Full Version : This Week in GA QB Commits *Playoff & Round Ball Edition*

BrunswickDawg
11-22-2013, 01:19 PM
Today's post is a little longer than normal....

Tonight, Elijah Staley opens his season on the hardcourt against the Lassiter Trojans . Wheeler?s boys basketball team are ranked No. 17 by MaxPreps and No. 10 in the Student Sports Fab 50. Wheeler has two juniors players ? center Daniel Giddens and forward Jaylen Brown ? who are rated as five-star recruits by Rivals.com.

Elijah should be pumped to start the season and play for a team that should contend for a State Title. Opening up against a Region foe is a little unusual. Lassiter is 1-0, but is typically a region also-ran, and the game should never be in doubt.
------------
Survive and advance is the goal his time of year. Nick Fitzgerald and Richmond Hill did just that on Friday in defeating #10 Thomas County Central 13-7. And as I wrote in the game thread - our big time player, made big time plays, in a big time game.

This week, Richmond Hill (10-1, 6-1) faces a big test as they travel the length of I-16 to face the #6 Warner Robins Demons (10-1, 6-1).

Warner Robins is one of the storied programs in middle GA. They have won 24 region titles since 1971, 4 State Titles - the last in 2004, and 2 "National Titles" in 1976 and 1981. Notable alumni include former GA Governor Sonny Perdue; actress Victoria Principal; and our own great Willie Blade. The 1976 team was anchored by 4 time Pro Bowl RB James Brooks and my personal favorite - FSU and WCW legend Ron Simmons at Linebacker.

Warner Robins beat Whitewater 34-27 in a shoot out in the first round. They have a balanced, potent attack that has averaged 368 ypg - 256 on the ground and 112 in the air (in south GA., this qualifies as a balanced attack because NOBODY throws the ball). Names to watch include junior Danny Hite III, who leads the team with 1076 yards rushing. Top receiver is his brother, senior Danny Hite, Jr. with 385 yards receiving. Yes, you read that right. We have a George Forman situation with the Hite family in Warner Robins, as apparently Danny Hite, Sr. keeps the naming of his progeny simple. QB Caden Johnston has 1,226 yards passing with 12 TDs and 7 INTS.

The real test might be on D as WR has only given up 258 ypg in total O. The Demons have 24 picks this season and their ball hawks are lead by sophomore Marquez Callaway who has 6 picks. Richmond Hill will need to be wary if they decide to throw. Nick will also be challenged by a D line that has only allowed an average of 88 yards on the ground per game.

The good news is Richmond Hill is familiar with the Demons, having lost to them in the first round last year 17-15 on a last minute field goal. That loss was marred by an interception, a blocked field goal, and a missed extra point. Cith a mistake free game, and RH can show that it can be right there with one of the state power teams. I am sure Nick and the team are looking for payback. Warner Robins is tough, but have shown to be beatable, and have had a pretty weak schedule. They play in a region that has two top tier teams (WR & Northside WR) and a bunch of lower tier teams that battle it out for the leftovers.

This is Richmond Hill's first 10 win season. It is the first time they have won a playoff game. I think we see Nick go big time and lead Richmond Hill into the Elite 8.

Hopefully, at the end of the night all Warner Robins can do is shake theirs heads and say.....

http://i43.tinypic.com/13yovtk.jpg

Goat Holder
11-22-2013, 01:51 PM
Looks like Staley's full-time sport for us may be basketball. I'm sure Rick Ray won't mind. Awesome to have a consolation prize, no matter how the football situation works out.

Didn't Jackie sign a QB from Warner Robbins back in the day? Had him returning kicks or some stupid shit like that in 96 during the loss to Louisiana Tech. Can't remember his name.

BrunswickDawg
11-22-2013, 02:09 PM
Looks like Staley's full-time sport for us may be basketball. I'm sure Rick Ray won't mind. Awesome to have a consolation prize, no matter how the football situation works out.

Didn't Jackie sign a QB from Warner Robbins back in the day? Had him returning kicks or some stupid shit like that in 96 during the loss to Louisiana Tech. Can't remember his name.

I think you are remembering Rodney Hudson from Lagrange HS in GA - but I don't remember him ever returning kicks, and he was earlier than 96. Of course, I was getting so loaded that game due to the on-field performance, there is no way I could remember who was dropping balls. I'd been married a month, and my wife had drive my hung over ass back to ATL the next day. She wasn't too happy with me that weekend.

CadaverDawg
11-22-2013, 02:33 PM
Any chance Ray can use Staley to help draw in those bball recruits?

Goat Holder
11-22-2013, 02:38 PM
We all were. I remember some big blow-hard dad cussing his kids he was so mad. The Derrick Taite and Matt Wyatt QB platoon wasn't working.

And on Rodney Hudson, no this what a white guy from Warner Robbins. Robbie Stillwell maybe?

BrunswickDawg
11-22-2013, 03:02 PM
Stillwell was from Northside-Warner Robins - same town, rival school.

slickdawg
11-22-2013, 03:24 PM
Hudson was from LaGrange, GA. He and Walt Harris came in together.

BrunswickDawg
11-22-2013, 07:48 PM
Not a good start for Richmond Hill. First drive fumble at the WR 30 leads to score. Then give up a pick 6. Now down 14-0

BrunswickDawg
11-22-2013, 08:06 PM
RH fighting to get back in - 36 yd TD by the RB. Missed PAT. 14-6 WR

BrunswickDawg
11-22-2013, 08:24 PM
Not getting better - 21-6 Warner Robins.

Dawg61
11-22-2013, 08:27 PM
Not good

BrunswickDawg
11-22-2013, 09:37 PM
Wild game! WR goes up 35-6. RH scores, recovers onside kick, scores, makes the 2, recovers the onside kick, scores again! Now 35-28 in the 4th.

CadaverDawg
11-22-2013, 09:45 PM
Wild game! WR goes up 35-6. RH scores, recovers onside kick, scores, makes the 2, recovers the onside kick, scores again! Now 35-28 in the 4th.

Wow! How much time left? How is nick doing?

BrunswickDawg
11-22-2013, 09:51 PM
Now 42-28 late in 4th. No idea on stats, only way I am keeping up is on twitter.

BrunswickDawg
11-22-2013, 10:26 PM
Final - RH loses 42-28.
Wheeler beat Lassiter.
Don't know score, but last I saw Elijah had 18

bully99
11-22-2013, 10:40 PM
What? Earlier someone said wr was up big, now they lost .me confused

BrunswickDawg
11-22-2013, 10:42 PM
My bad - fixed it - RH lost. Been a long week.