PDA

View Full Version : NCAAT

R2Dawg
03-17-2022, 06:50 PM
Richmond - no real surprise to me, they are a good team we barely beat.

How does St.Peters type teams get the talent and do what they do? Some of these small programs are impressive.

msstate7
03-17-2022, 07:03 PM
Usually the good mid-majors are veteran as hell. Beat talent with experience

R2Dawg
03-17-2022, 07:13 PM
Usually the good mid-majors are veteran as hell. Beat talent with experience

Agree but somehow we have players that have played for 3-4 years and it don't help any? Look at all the star power we have. The team chemistry, playing with a chip, and hungry makes a big difference.

Joebob
03-17-2022, 08:23 PM

How does St.Peters type teams get the talent and do what they do? Some of these small programs are impressive.

Yeah, I took a look at St. Peters walking out on the court and thought they were going to give Kentucky trouble.

RocketDawg
03-17-2022, 08:42 PM
Never heard of St Peters and they beat UK. 15 beats 2.

State82
03-17-2022, 08:44 PM
Never heard of St Peters and they beat UK. 15 beats 2.

Me either. Had to look them up. Private university in New Jersey

basedog
03-17-2022, 08:55 PM
Enrollment is 2,350 undergraduates.

RocketDawg
03-17-2022, 08:57 PM
Enrollment is 2,350 undergraduates.

About the same as a decent sized high school.

RocketDawg
03-17-2022, 09:01 PM
It's early but Vermont hanging in with Arkansas. VT up by 4 midway through the first half.

trob115
03-17-2022, 09:15 PM
Keshawn Feazell has now done something none of his former teammates here have done.... advances to the round of 32 with Creighton

Maroonthirteen
03-17-2022, 09:32 PM
I'm scratching my head too. I want to say mid majors have more experience, Covid classification players. However St Peters and UK both started 3 Jrs, Sr, Fr. Wow.

State82
03-17-2022, 11:37 PM
There's some serious basketball being played in this Murray State and San Francisco matchup

sleepy dawg
03-18-2022, 09:59 AM

I don't think they're super talented. Certainly not untalented. I also think the gap from the top to bottom has shrunk a great deal. The better team loses a lot, especially in these types of tournaments. These underdog teams have to play aggressive as sh*t to win. Even if they've been a conservative type team all year, in this lose and go home style of play, there's just not room for being conservative. However, the biggest factors are luck and matchups, with luck being the most important.

I was doing some research this week on seed vs seed win%. Most people look at all time tournament results, but I wanted to focus more on recent results, so I dug into the last 10 tournaments.
In the last 10 tournaments, not even including this year, 15 seeds have a 14.9 win percentage. That's pretty substantial and getting a little high to be called a fluke. All time the 15 seed % is at 7.1, and was obviously lower before the recent history has raised it up.

ScoobaDawg
03-18-2022, 04:33 PM
I love March madness... haven't watched it much over the last few years because it was depressing with us not in it..
But I'm enjoying it now for some reason sicne we have cut ties with Howland.

Good game with USC and MIAMI

ScoobaDawg
03-18-2022, 04:36 PM
Down goes USC... good.

RocketDawg
03-18-2022, 05:02 PM
Alabama is losing 61-47 with 9 minutes to go in the game. Hope ND can keep it up.

SailingDawg
03-18-2022, 05:57 PM
Alabama is losing 61-47 with 9 minutes to go in the game. Hope ND can keep it up.

Down goes Bama!

Of course, with all this mid to high seeds losing it just makes it easier for the #1's to advance.

EdwardDrayton
03-18-2022, 06:00 PM
First Kentucky, now Alabama. I should know never to bet on the SEC in basketball.

ScoobaDawg
03-18-2022, 06:11 PM
Down goes Bama!

Of course, with all this mid to high seeds losing it just makes it easier for the #1's to advance.

As much as I love Bama to lose anything... I cant stand ND... so i hope they get smashed next round.

EdwardDrayton
03-18-2022, 06:42 PM
As much as I love Bama to lose anything... I cant stand ND... so i hope they get smashed next round.

Preach brother. Think my intense dislike stems from growing up in a time when they televised Notre Dame on network TV every friggin week.

RocketDawg
03-18-2022, 08:05 PM
13 Chattanooga giving 4 Illinois a full run. Illinois has been behind virtually the entire game, but just went up by 1 with just 32.7 seconds left. Edit - Chatt just made 2 free throws for a 1 point lead.

Illinois just went up by 1 on 2 Fps, 12 seconds left.

Illionis wins by 1. Chattanooga got off two shots but neither went in. Great effort though.

SailingDawg
03-18-2022, 08:43 PM
LSU down the entire game so far. Just went down ten with 7 to go.

EdwardDrayton
03-18-2022, 10:22 PM
So I bet Kentucky, Alabama and LSU. Those are my only bracket misses. Bunch of SEC mutts.

sleepy dawg
03-19-2022, 12:34 PM
I love March madness... haven't watched it much over the last few years because it was depressing with us not in it..
But I'm enjoying it now for some reason sicne we have cut ties with Howland.

Good game with USC and MIAMI

I love it every year. And perhaps enjoy the tournament overall more when State's not in it. I much prefer State to be in it, but when State's in it, I only care about it until State gets eliminated which happens quick then I'm done. When State's not in it though, I get fully engulfed by the madness.

NCMSTFAN
03-19-2022, 01:00 PM
I love it every year. And perhaps enjoy the tournament overall more when State's not in it. I much prefer State to be in it, but when State's in it, I only care about it until State gets eliminated which happens quick then I'm done. When State's not in it though, I get fully engulfed by the madness.

Well you have had plenty of enjoyment watching without us because we have only been 1 time in the past 13 years which is pathetic

EdwardDrayton
03-19-2022, 09:34 PM
Kentucky, Alabama, LSU and Tennessee.

SEC basketball is putrid.

SailingDawg
03-19-2022, 10:08 PM
Memphis leading Gonzaga early in the second half.

msstate7
03-19-2022, 10:14 PM
Timme can't be called for a travel or 3-seconds

R2Dawg
03-20-2022, 08:23 AM
So I bet Kentucky, Alabama and LSU. Those are my only bracket misses. Bunch of SEC mutts.

Alabama had no business being in tourney. They rode wins of Gonzaga and Baylor all year but sucked outside of that. TAMU got screwed and should have been in their place. Two wins don't make a tourney team or shouldn't.

R2Dawg
03-20-2022, 08:24 AM
Memphis leading Gonzaga early in the second half.

I'm just not impressed with Gonzaga. They will not win it. On a good night, I think we could beat Gonzaga.

RocketDawg
03-20-2022, 08:48 PM
2-seed Auburn down 12 to 10-seed Miami with only 8 minutes left.

Seems to be an unusual number of high seeds losing to lower seeds so far this year.

PGHBulldogBG
03-20-2022, 08:52 PM
2-seed Auburn down 12 to 10-seed Miami with only 8 minutes left.

Seems to be an unusual number of high seeds losing to lower seeds so far this year.

I can?t help but love watching UK, Auburn, UT, LSU and Bama all lose. Ark I actually hope wins the title. Only SEC team in the tournament I will cheer for.

EdwardDrayton
03-20-2022, 10:19 PM
I can?t help but love watching UK, Auburn, UT, LSU and Bama all lose. Ark I actually hope wins the title. Only SEC team in the tournament I will cheer for.

It’s clear now. We were not a good basketball team even in a conference that is not good at basketball.

RougeDawg
03-21-2022, 10:14 AM
It?s clear now. We were not a good basketball team even in a conference that is not good at basketball.

Watching these games and other conferences one thing really stands out. Basketball IQ. And by that I mean it looks like every player on the court knows their role and where to be at all times. They are changing up defenses 2-3 times a possession. They can break the presses with sophisticated ball movement. Very rare to have any player just standing in one spot while the one guy with the ball tries to do something.

The SEC is lacking in this area and I guess the talent out talented this season. None of the teams play very smart. Hopefully bringing in a coach that implements this will give us a leg up. Who knows but the SEC lack of Bball IQ has clearly been exposed this tourney.

Tater
03-21-2022, 10:23 AM
The difference between the tournament and regular season is the lack of home court.

Auburn on the Plains is the best team in the country. Auburn away from the plains is awful.

Need to build our home court advantage back. Hopefully this new coach injects life into the fanbase. Renovations may help too. We need to get fans engaged.

StarkVegasSteve
03-21-2022, 10:28 AM
Pearl is the number 1 reason Auburn did not win the national championship. He has a generational talent in Smith, who probably is the top pick in the draft, and his two guards are still trying to prove they are better than him. They fail to even look his way most possessions and either try to straight drive to the basket or take a heat check 3. Pearl had the opportunity to let his offense run through Smith this year and instead he hitched his wagon to two guys who probably will not make an NBA roster. Pearl gonna Pearl.

PGHBulldogBG
03-21-2022, 03:57 PM
Pearl is the number 1 reason Auburn did not win the national championship. He has a generational talent in Smith, who probably is the top pick in the draft, and his two guards are still trying to prove they are better than him. They fail to even look his way most possessions and either try to straight drive to the basket or take a heat check 3. Pearl had the opportunity to let his offense run through Smith this year and instead he hitched his wagon to two guys who probably will not make an NBA roster. Pearl gonna Pearl.

This is one thing that keeps Pearl a good coach but not great. Honestly I think Musselman and Buzz Williams are the 2 best floor coaches in the SEC and I think Jans can be in that category. Buzz Is a bad recruiter and always has been that?s what holds him back from getting blue blood coaching offers. Oates and Pearl collect some good talent but I?m not sure the talent is maximized. Musselman is probably the best all around coach taking in recruiting and player development. Calipari is the best recruiter but a below average floor coach. Barnes always chokes in March. I never pick UT past the sweet 16 for this reason. I?m not really surprised Arkansas is the last team standing.

msstate7
03-21-2022, 04:04 PM
Pearl has been to the sweet 16 3 times, elite 8, and the final 4.