PDA

View Full Version : Football Post

calidawg
03-15-2022, 09:02 AM
As of yesterday we lead the SEC in returning production for whatever thats worth

https://twitter.com/ESPN_BillC/status/1503540417782030344?s=20&t=vof8RHoTCG_TKW86c3pa2w

Coach34
03-15-2022, 10:05 AM
This is Leach's shot at 10 wins

Cowbell
03-15-2022, 10:33 AM
This is Leach's shot at 10 wins lol

Leroy Jenkins
03-15-2022, 12:00 PM

At first glance this sounds laughable, but.... last year we snatched defeat from the jaws of victory in at least 3 games.

calidawg
03-15-2022, 12:09 PM

That's not a fair judgement of Leach with the #1 hardest schedule in the country. Beating our entire schedule minus bama and uga?? 8-4 with an OM win is fair

thf24
03-15-2022, 12:15 PM
At first glance this sounds laughable, but.... last year we snatched defeat from the jaws of victory in at least 3 games.

I think the most significant thing people are glossing over about last year is we did what we did with Will still only a second-year player in a system where reps and experience are about as crucial as it gets. The offense should truly hum this year now that he's going in with two years of starting experience under his belt, lack of arm strength or not. If it doesn't, it's time to get off the Leach train.

TrapGame
03-15-2022, 12:46 PM
I think the most significant thing people are glossing over about last year is we did what we did with Will still only a second-year player in a system where reps and experience are about as crucial as it gets. The offense should truly hum this year now that he's going in with two years of starting experience under his belt, lack of arm strength or not. If it doesn't, it's time to get off the Leach train.

This.

I 100% concur. We need to see the old Texas Tech offenses when they were a perennial top 10 team under Leach. Another lackluster year and I'm off the train too. Having a kicker miss some field goals is one thing but this offense should be at the point where we don't need a kicker kicking a 3 to decide the game. This offense should be lethal. It's time.

calidawg
03-15-2022, 02:12 PM
Personally I don't see us winning 8. Losing a top 5 left tackle with an immobile QB in a league loaded with NFL level DE.

Ask yourself how bad it would have been last year without cross. How many sacks and sack fumbles did he really save us from?

Hot Rock
03-15-2022, 02:33 PM
This.

I 100% concur. We need to see the old Texas Tech offenses when they were a perennial top 10 team under Leach. Another lackluster year and I'm off the train too. Having a kicker miss some field goals is one thing but this offense should be at the point where we don't need a kicker kicking a 3 to decide the game. This offense should be lethal. It's time.

You concur? Wow. Mississippi State has one 10 win season in it's glorious history and you ready to fire a guy that can't get there with Alabama, Georgia, A&M all with top 5 talent on our schedule and then 5 or 6 more teams with equal to better talent? You nuts.

TaleofTwoDogs
03-15-2022, 02:34 PM
I lost you when you said "The offense should truly hum this year". What was the last MSU offense that truly hummed? On paper maybe, but on the field not so much and as a MSU fan you know this is true. Let's hope 2022 is a break out year but I wont lay money on it.

Liverpooldawg
03-15-2022, 02:50 PM

With the schedule we have we could be a better team and still struggle to get 6 wins.

Coach34
03-15-2022, 03:42 PM
With the schedule we have we could be a better team and still struggle to get 6 wins.

ohhhhhhh hayyyyyyyle no. I've been hearing for 2 years now about how Year 3 is when Leach gets rolling. Well, it's Y3

TrapGame
03-15-2022, 03:42 PM
You concur? Wow. Mississippi State has one 10 win season in it's glorious history and you ready to fire a guy that can't get there with Alabama, Georgia, A&M all with top 5 talent on our schedule and then 5 or 6 more teams with equal to better talent? You nuts.

Jesus, now I'm not a sunshine pumper anymore.

You guys need to make up your damn minds.

And not once did I say FIRE him. I'll be off the wagon. That's all.

Use your reading comprehension skills instead of your knee jerk analysis.

calidawg
03-15-2022, 03:58 PM

6 wins and he's lost the fanbase and possibly the administration especially if that includes an OM loss. 6 -6 with an OM win probably buys him another year because Cohen is all in with him, unless there is enough uproar to fire him anyway ala Moorhead

thf24
03-15-2022, 04:35 PM
I lost you when you said "The offense should truly hum this year". What was the last MSU offense that truly hummed? On paper maybe, but on the field not so much and as a MSU fan you know this is true. Let's hope 2022 is a break out year but I wont lay money on it.

We hired a quirky system coach who's supposed to specialize in exploiting more talented defenses through simplicity and repetition, regardless of any other factors. I'm not saying we should come out and utterly shred every opponent we play next year in a similar manner, but if the concept isn't obviously coming to full fruition in the majority of games we play, then it's never going to in this league. I say this as someone who's generally pro-Leach, pro-air raid, and dismissive of the idea that the talent gap in the SEC is so great that it can totally invalidate schemes that work elsewhere in the P5.

Leeshouldveflanked
03-15-2022, 05:00 PM
6-6 with a trip to Top Golf in Birmingham.

KOdawg1
03-15-2022, 06:10 PM
I see 7-5.

I don't believe in Leach's offense in the SEC.

Just is what it is.

Catfish
03-15-2022, 06:14 PM
Hardest schedule in the country and we still go 8-4.

Todd4State
03-15-2022, 06:20 PM

Is that including a bowl? Because that would mean winning two of four from Alabama, Georgia, LSU and A&M.

Jack Lambert
03-16-2022, 07:55 AM

Schedule is based on last years numbers. Let's just take Bama and Ga off the table, count them as a loss. Who else on our schedule is going to be any better than they were last year? LSU is still a shit storm. Auburn they totally fell apart and still have the same coach. Ole Miss lost the one guy that made them good plus 14 other starters. Arkansas will probably be a one guy team. Last season they wee a two guy team. KY will be the same team. They only beat one good team last year and that was Penn State who had what 9 starters out for the game. Who knows about A&M. They will be a 8 win team as usual. Our OOC has Arizona as our P5. 8-3 is not out of the question.

Hot Rock
03-16-2022, 09:24 AM
ohhhhhhh hayyyyyyyle no. I've been hearing for 2 years now about how Year 3 is when Leach gets rolling. Well, it's Y3

Mississippi State has had one ten year win in its history and that is with a NFL caliper QB and a great defense. You think we have an NFL caliper QB? I don't. He is a pretty good college QB and may be the best one we have on the roster but he will never make the NFL as a backup much less start.

Now, it's ten wins or bust? What a dick?

I will say if that offenses does not start clicking better, you will get some support to get him ousted but only dick heads would say ten wins or bust. That is just dumb as 17 considering the competition State faces every year.

Coach34
03-16-2022, 10:02 AM

C34 say- "This is Leach's SHOT at 10 wins"

reading comprehension isnt a skill you really possess huh?

Liverpooldawg
03-16-2022, 10:18 AM
Mississippi State has had one ten year win in its history and that is with a NFL caliper QB and a great defense. You think we have an NFL caliper QB? I don't. He is a pretty good college QB and may be the best one we have on the roster but he will never make the NFL as a backup much less start.

I will say if that offenses does not start clicking better, you will get some support to get him ousted but only dick heads would say ten wins or bust. That is just dumb as 17 considering the competition State faces every year.
Three if you count the bowls. 2014, 1999, and 1940.

viverlibre
03-16-2022, 09:52 PM
Sep 3 (Sat) TBA Home Memphis Starkville W

Sep 10 (Sat) TBA Away Arizona Tucson, Ariz. W

Sep 17 (Sat) TBA Away LSU Baton Rouge, La. L

Sep 24 (Sat) TBA Home Bowling Green Starkville W

Oct 1 (Sat) TBA Home Texas A&M Starkville L

Oct 8 (Sat) TBA Home Arkansas Starkville ?

Oct 15 (Sat) TBA Away Kentucky Lexington, Ky. ?

Oct 22 (Sat) TBA Away Alabama Tuscaloosa, Ala. L

Nov 5 (Sat) TBA Home Auburn Starkville ?

Nov 12 (Sat) TBA Home Georgia Starkville L

Nov 19 (Sat) TBA Home East Tennessee State Starkville W

Nov 24 (Thu) TBA Away Ole Miss Oxford, Miss. ?

4 wins and 4 toss ups = 6-6

TrapGame
03-17-2022, 08:56 AM
Sep 3 (Sat) TBA Home Memphis Starkville W

Sep 10 (Sat) TBA Away Arizona Tucson, Ariz. W

Sep 17 (Sat) TBA Away LSU Baton Rouge, La. L

Sep 24 (Sat) TBA Home Bowling Green Starkville W

Oct 1 (Sat) TBA Home Texas A&M Starkville L

Oct 8 (Sat) TBA Home Arkansas Starkville ?

Oct 15 (Sat) TBA Away Kentucky Lexington, Ky. ?

Oct 22 (Sat) TBA Away Alabama Tuscaloosa, Ala. L

Nov 5 (Sat) TBA Home Auburn Starkville ?

Nov 12 (Sat) TBA Home Georgia Starkville L

Nov 19 (Sat) TBA Home East Tennessee State Starkville W

Nov 24 (Thu) TBA Away Ole Miss Oxford, Miss. ?

4 wins and 4 toss ups = 6-6

I'd move LSU to a toss up too. Completely new coaching staff, 1st SEC of the season. Kelly's a good coach but let's see how he coaches in the SEC. We could possibly win this game.

Catfish
03-17-2022, 09:07 AM
Auburn is a W.

FISHDAWG
03-17-2022, 09:56 AM
Auburn is a W.

agreed ... I also think Kentucky will be a win but I think OM will be yet another loss - I'm hooked on a feeling and just can't escape it

TrapGame
03-17-2022, 10:07 AM
Auburn is a W.

agreed ... I also think Kentucky will be a win but I think OM will be yet another loss - I'm hooked on a feeling and just can't escape it

Harsin may not be coaching them by the time we play them.

I know folks have some OM PTSD but losing a 1st round QB (plus some of his offensive weapons) and a top notch DC w/ cause them to take a couple of steps back. Dart has played in 6 games his entire college career thus far.

Liverpooldawg
03-17-2022, 10:19 AM
Harsin may not be coaching them by the time we play them.

I know folks have some OM PTSD but losing a 1st round QB (plus some of his offensive weapons) and a top notch DC w/ cause them to take a couple of steps back. Dart has played in 6 games his entire college career thus far.

Dart is VERY talented. They will dop off some at QB but it won't be as far as we hope.

TrapGame
03-17-2022, 10:27 AM
Dart is VERY talented. They will dop off some at QB but it won't be as far as we hope.

Dart has played in 6 games. Costello was supposed to be talented too.

viverlibre
03-17-2022, 10:42 AM
Auburn is a W.

Possibility, but Auburn and LSU greatly out talent us. If Leach wins 7, we should all dance in the streets, it will be a great coaching job. I'm waiting for Will to take the next step, he has to get rid of the ball quicker and anticipate the pressure. If he has another shakey spring game (like last year), it will bode poorly for the season. Our oline is gonna be questionable and we lost out stud WR and another that would have provided depth and some production.

Catfish
03-17-2022, 10:49 AM
Possibility, but Auburn and LSU greatly out talent us. If Leach wins 7, we should all dance in the streets, it will be a great coaching job. I'm waiting for Will to take the next step, he has to get rid of the ball quicker and anticipate the pressure. If he has another shakey spring game (like last year), it will bode poorly for the season. Our oline is gonna be questionable and we lost out stud WR and another that would have provided depth and some production.

Agreed, and we have a brutal schedule. 7 wins would be great. I just feel that the Auburn program is in total chaos right now. Maybe they get a new coach midseason, but it's gonna take a little time to straighten things out there. IMO...

Coach34
03-17-2022, 11:01 AM

LSU has lost alot of talent the last 2 years. Should be a good game

Duckdog
03-17-2022, 11:08 AM
LSU has lost alot of talent the last 2 years. Should be a good game

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA stop it... We should torch LSU. 8 wins is what Id be happy with.

MaroonFlounder
03-17-2022, 11:31 AM
Is that including a bowl? Because that would mean winning two of four from Alabama, Georgia, LSU and A&M.

Hell, Leach can't beat ARKANSAS or Oxford JC.

LSU & A&M are beatable.

TrapGame
03-17-2022, 11:45 AM
]Possibility, but Auburn and LSU greatly out talent us[/B]. If Leach wins 7, we should all dance in the streets, it will be a great coaching job. I'm waiting for Will to take the next step, he has to get rid of the ball quicker and anticipate the pressure. If he has another shakey spring game (like last year), it will bode poorly for the season. Our oline is gonna be questionable and we lost out stud WR and another that would have provided depth and some production.

Talent doesn't mean shit if you can't coach it. Look at LSU 2020 and 2021. Shit, we could have beaten LSU in '21 but we shot ourselves in the foot in the first quarter. We came back on a "talented" Auburn team in their stadium packed with fans. Harsin has proven he's questionable as a head coach in the SEC. Kelly will have to prove himself. What will this LSU team look like with their new offense and defense? And we play each other game 3. We have the more seasoned offense and defense. It will be a good game but I'm not saying it's an automatic loss. That's ridiculous.

Catfish
03-17-2022, 11:56 AM
How we look against Memphis and Arizona will probably define our season.

TrapGame
03-17-2022, 01:12 PM
How we look against Memphis and Arizona will probably define our season.

Memphis lost their DC. Leach needs to make this one a get up game. We need to just obliterate them.

Arizona may be a weird game flying out to the South West. Arizona is not a good team, however. We lose that one and we might as well call it a season. That'll be a pretty big pill to swallow.

calidawg
03-17-2022, 01:22 PM
understand that leaches teams aren't like merlin.. merlins would win the games your supposed to, lose the ones you were supposed to, and occasionally win the coin flips.

Leach teams will blow at least 1 game you had no business losing and will win at least 1 game u had no business winning. Trying to pick which games we will win and lose with Leach is throwing darts blindfolded

Johnson85
03-17-2022, 01:26 PM

I mean, we could be rolling and still have a lot of close losses. Bama and UGA will likely be national championship contenders. LSU, Auburn, and A&M probably all have talent that could get them in the top 15 if not top 10. Arkansas, Ole Miss, and UK could be pretty good. If we competed against Bama and UGA, and went 3-3 against LSU, Auburn, A&M, Arkansas, Ole Miss, and UK, that could show a lot of improvement and still only get us to 7-5.

7-5 is the over/under for Leach I think. If he goes 7-5 and doesn't look like dog shit in more than one game (I think we know his offense is going to just inexplicably suck at least once each year), that will be solid. If he goes 8-4 against this schedule, that will be pretty damn good (assuming a lot of our opponents dont' surprise to the downside). 6-6 won't be a fireable performance or anything, but it's going to destroy a lot of fan support. Not sure if there is a way he could get to 6-6 and not be on the wrong trajectory. Maybe if we had two bad losses early while we figure our OL out, or just barely lose to LSU and A&M and Arkansas and then start clicking and solidly beat UK, Auburn, and Ole Miss and be in the game towards the end against Bama and UGA? Not sure if that would be enough positive movement to take the bad taste out or not.

Leach really needs to get to 7 wins.

Catfish
03-17-2022, 01:39 PM
I mean, we could be rolling and still have a lot of close losses. Bama and UGA will likely be national championship contenders. LSU, Auburn, and A&M probably all have talent that could get them in the top 15 if not top 10. Arkansas, Ole Miss, and UK could be pretty good. If we competed against Bama and UGA, and went 3-3 against LSU, Auburn, A&M, Arkansas, Ole Miss, and UK, that could show a lot of improvement and still only get us to 7-5.

7-5 is the over/under for Leach I think. If he goes 7-5 and doesn't look like dog shit in more than one game (I think we know his offense is going to just inexplicably suck at least once each year), that will be solid. If he goes 8-4 against this schedule, that will be pretty damn good (assuming a lot of our opponents dont' surprise to the downside). 6-6 won't be a fireable performance or anything, but it's going to destroy a lot of fan support. Not sure if there is a way he could get to 6-6 and not be on the wrong trajectory. Maybe if we had two bad losses early while we figure our OL out, or just barely lose to LSU and A&M and Arkansas and then start clicking and solidly beat UK, Auburn, and Ole Miss and be in the game towards the end against Bama and UGA? Not sure if that would be enough positive movement to take the bad taste out or not.

Good post.

TrapGame
03-17-2022, 02:59 PM

That's pretty much the way I see it too. 7 wins is the minimum. I think we can win 8 but I'll take 7 with a couple of heart breakers that we should have won. Less than 7 and I'm off the wagon.

I use to really follow basketball and after the Stans implosion I just quit giving a shit. I really do not care about basketball anymore. I do not want to get that way about football.

viverlibre
03-17-2022, 02:59 PM

Concur, but it is going to be difficult. For we last two years all we've heard is our QB is so young, wait until he has more game time under him. Well that time is now, we need to take huge step forward at QB, not from a stat point of view, but a big play point of view (which may mean converting a 4th down late or not take a big sack). Leach hasn't done much to adapt this offense, I hope that changes this year.

Johnson85
03-17-2022, 03:37 PM
Concur, but it is going to be difficult. For we last two years all we've heard is our QB is so young, wait until he has more game time under him. Well that time is now, we need to take huge step forward at QB, not from a stat point of view, but a big play point of view (which may mean converting a 4th down late or not take a big sack). Leach hasn't done much to adapt this offense, I hope that changes this year.

He's got to find a way to adjust to one of his tackles getting beat one on one. Will was off in the egg bowl, but it's asking a lot of a QB to make throws on the money consistently (which you have to do when you're passing like we do) when one of his OTs is getting beat consistently. It's going to be even harder next year when the LT is getting beat a lot too.

If his plan is "have a qb that drops dimes when he gets the ball off before getting hit, even though he's getting hit consistently", I'm not sure that's going to work in the SEC.

Todd4State
03-17-2022, 04:06 PM
He's got to find a way to adjust to one of his tackles getting beat one on one. Will was off in the egg bowl, but it's asking a lot of a QB to make throws on the money consistently (which you have to do when you're passing like we do) when one of his OTs is getting beat consistently. It's going to be even harder next year when the LT is getting beat a lot too.

If his plan is "have a qb that drops dimes when he gets the ball off before getting hit, even though he's getting hit consistently", I'm not sure that's going to work in the SEC.

Cross can't e replaced. But we're also not going to replace him with a card board cut out. If we get Blaine Clausell production from left tackle we'll be OK.

viverlibre
03-17-2022, 04:23 PM

I don't understand why so many coaches don't adjust to this. Going into the game, you've got a good idea which OL position the enemy will exploit. Do something crazy, like put the meanest, dumbest backup LB in the back field with instructions to destroy the other team's best rusher. As a coach, your plan can't be, "our OL has to block them," when it is proven that one or more of your OL can't accomplish the objective.

Johnson85
03-17-2022, 04:34 PM
Cross can't e replaced. But we're also not going to replace him with a card board cut out. If we get Blaine Clausell production from left tackle we'll be OK.

Will we? What would you call the production we got from RT in the egg bowl? I would assume that kind of protection (or lack thereof) from the blind side would be much worse. And I'm expecting that in several games without Cross next year. Hoping I will be surprised but definitely concerned.

Johnson85
03-17-2022, 04:35 PM
I don't understand why so many coaches don't adjust to this. Going into the game, you've got a good idea which OL position the enemy will exploit. Do something crazy, like put the meanest, dumbest backup LB in the back field with instructions to destroy the other team's best rusher. As a coach, your plan can't be, "our OL has to block them," when it is proven that one or more of your OL can't accomplish the objective.

It's baffling to me also. It seems like it's such a common situation that every offensive scheme would have to have a wrinkle to give one of your tackles help if you get matched up against a superior pass rushing DE.

Todd4State
03-17-2022, 04:36 PM
Will we? What would you call the production we got from RT in the egg bowl? I would assume that kind of protection (or lack thereof) from the blind side would be much worse. And I'm expecting that in several games without Cross next year. Hoping I will be surprised but definitely concerned.

Didn't realize Percy Lewis and Stephen Lasoya played in the Liberty Bowl?**

It's foolish to base expectations based on a bowl game. If that was the case we have some fans that need to pump the breaks on Ole Miss.

Catfish
03-17-2022, 04:40 PM
I hope this particular discussion about our offensive line isn't a year long thing, if so, we're in trouble.

Johnson85
03-17-2022, 04:48 PM
Didn't realize Percy Lewis and Stephen Lasoya played in the Liberty Bowl?**

It's foolish to base expectations based on a bowl game. If that was the case we have some fans that need to pump the breaks on Ole Miss.

??? not sure if something's going over my head but I'm not understanding the reference to the Liberty Bowl.

But regardless, are we sure that Percy Lewis and Losoya are both better than Lashley (and whoever subbed for him in the egg bowl; Kameron Jones maybe?)? I'm not sure how to judge your Blaine Clausell production comment (which is why I asked what you called the egg bowl production; it was a legitimate question). If we get Senior year Clausell Production at both tackles, I will have no concerns, but I am not expecting our OTs to be that good. If we get first year (can't remember what year that was; I think he was a RS Freshman?) Clausell production from either tackle spot, I think we are going to be in bad shape every time we face an elite pass rusher. I don't quite expecct that but I don't think it's off the table either. Still an unknown.

Todd4State
03-17-2022, 04:53 PM
??? not sure if something's going over my head but I'm not understanding the reference to the Liberty Bowl.

But regardless, are we sure that Percy Lewis and Losoya are both better than Lashley (and whoever subbed for him in the egg bowl; Kameron Jones maybe?)? I'm not sure how to judge your Blaine Clausell production comment (which is why I asked what you called the egg bowl production; it was a legitimate question). If we get Senior year Clausell Production at both tackles, I will have no concerns, but I am not expecting our OTs to be that good. If we get first year (can't remember what year that was; I think he was a RS Freshman?) Clausell production from either tackle spot, I think we are going to be in bad shape every time we face an elite pass rusher. I don't quite expecct that but I don't think it's off the table either. Still an unknown.

If our worst case scenario is Kam Jones at right tackle then we will be OK. I'm talking about Clausell 2014. We have several options. Reese, Lasoya, Lewis, Jones, and may add others to the mix as well. We'll be Ok.

WhiskeyPirate
03-18-2022, 09:17 PM
O line is the biggest problem. If leach had a solid veteran o line I think they win a lot of games next year. O line may be better than we think, I think you have to label it as an unknown.

Dawgfan77
03-19-2022, 08:46 AM
We will probably sign one or two more OL portal guys. One interior and one tackle. I think you all are gonna be surprised how the OL will look this year. Cross is a great loss but we will be ok at LT and we will be better at RT. Having our center return and having some good play from our guards is going to be tremendous asset this year.
I'm still on the fence with leach but you cannot deny that they have brought in some talent and have filled a lot of gaps last two years. We are still actively working the portal for 4-5 more players. I see a lot of folks down playing our talent.

viverlibre
03-19-2022, 09:50 AM
O line is the biggest problem. If leach had a solid veteran o line I think they win a lot of games next year. O line may be better than we think, I think you have to label it as an unknown.

A solid O Line wins a bunch of games for just about any coarch (Crooms excepted).

Offshore Dawg
03-19-2022, 11:53 AM
For these of you with better memories than mine. How many players were missing in the bowl game

CaptainObvious
03-19-2022, 08:39 PM
For these of you with better memories than mine. How many players were missing in the bowl game

8 defensive guys-7 starters and 1 top reserve.
2 offensive guys- 2 starters and a reserve.

Coach34
03-19-2022, 09:11 PM
LSU is a 6-7 win team in 2022. Getting them early is perfect for us- a veteran team. While they- learning a new system with many new parts- is adjusting.