PDA

View Full Version : End of pre-SEC play Baseball Thoughts

Todd4State
03-15-2022, 12:26 AM
This team appears to be coming together. The softball lineup scored 10+ runs yet again. The thing that I liked the most about tonight was 10 walks to 9 strikeouts for our hitters with 3 guys HBP for good measure. Against a team like that you have to be patient at the plate and not get yourself out as a hitter being too aggressive. That's how a SEC team beats a Grambling 2-1 or even worse- occasionally loses to one. Glad they finally tried Jess Davis at leadoff- he did a good job at the plate again. We'll see if he can continue or if he is a .250 hitter like he was at UAB. Time will tell. I liked the lineup better in general- Yeager was back and he appears to be getting through the transfer acclimation period that they all seem to go through- even guys like Nate Lowe and Jack Kruger who are MLB players. It's a little weird to me. Would still rather Hancock hit second but I think Lemonis wants Kam's speed at the top and doesn't want Hancock blocking him on the basepaths. Speaking of Lemonis I thought he did a good job managing tonight. Tie game late and Kam gets on. We start to put him in motion and get a couple of stolen bases. Hancock walks and then takes second getting us out of a potential double play possibility with our catcher at the plate. And then LoTan gets the big hit and then the wheels start to fall off for Binghampton. Those things go unnoticed a lot of times when you win. But if Kam gets thrown out it's a "what the hell was Lemonis doing?" moment.

We have to work on catching fly balls apparently. A lazy fly ball to the outfield should be one of the easiest defensive plays to execute. We've had some issues the last two games- one by a guy that is a third baseman sure. Davis losing the ball made that game closer than the score. Should be an easy fix with reps.

We got bad news as expected today. But we've been dealing with it so we're starting to put together our staff again. Need to start to figure out some roles- but the good news is we have some guys that have stepped up. And the other good news is KC Hunt has been throwing bullpens and should be back soon. I really like seeing Fristoe close/relieve. I think he, Tepper, and Auger all have a good chance to land the closer spot. Along with Hunt. We could also use them as a committee of closers and probably be OK. One will probably emerge though. Hunt I think could be more of a multiple inning guy like Preston last year. If we decide to move Hunt to the rotation it's likely that we'll move Preston back to the bullpen. Either way. Pico and Brandon Smith have been pretty good and Tullar has been better lately. And now Drew Talley is stepping up and pitching well. If he keeps pitching like he is we will continue to give him opportunities. Our rotation has been solid and I think Stinnett has found a spot there along with Cade and Preston. I'd like for us to find a more consistent midweek guy but we'll be fine at least up until the Governor's Cup. We have a lot of pieces to the rotation and honestly most are performing well. That's why I didn't really understand pitching Lane Forsythe unless he just wants to give up hitting altogether. Yes, he did well and can eat an inning here and there but I also don't really think it's totally necessary. Could be a one off just because we played four games in a row.

We're 11-7 going into SEC play. We all hoped to be better but the way I see it we've played a really difficult schedule with a huge target on our backs while we were still figuring things out. Our only bad loss to a non-name brand school was Northern Kentucky which even then we still won the series. Long Beach State was the first weekend before we had our roster set. USM caused us to do some soul searching and go with the softball guys. Tulane we lost two of our better pitchers putting us in a bit of a bind. Simmons was still coming out according to Lemonis no matter what but I think Tepper with a clean inning or Fristoe would have finished that game off. That loss caused us to try Stinnett against Texas Tech and we found our third guy. And splitting with Texas Tech in Biloxi was far from shameful. Hopeful our brutal pre-SEC schedule helps because SEC play is where it counts. It's easy to get caught up in RPI and stuff like that but the fact of the matter is we win our SEC games we got a chance to host. All in our hands still. How we do in SEC play will ultimately determine our seed and whether we make it or not. I think we go like 15-15 and make it as a 2 or 3.

Activated Alpha
03-15-2022, 12:50 AM
I have been dealing with bad news as a state fan all my life. Nothing going to change that now. However I would give my left nut if we won the SEC and did a repeat as NC with our current roster. That would cement a Lemonis statue out front

The Federalist Engineer
03-15-2022, 01:09 AM
Good write up, there is lots of baseball to play. The Texas Tech game was massive for confidence.

The pitching will continue to get better. There are some players that will get many more innings and appearances that we anticipated in 2022. Pico Kohn will be the equivalent of a typical Sophomore by April. I hope Cole Cheatham keeps performing.

It would be game changing if Fristoe finds his groove as the closer, that would be huge. It's not a long shot for Fristoe to become as a beast this year, he has that capacity.

parabrave
03-15-2022, 01:54 AM
Good write up, there is lots of baseball to play. The Texas Tech game was massive for confidence.

The pitching will continue to get better. There are some players that will get many more innings and appearances that we anticipated in 2022. Pico Kohn will be the equivalent of a typical Sophomore by April. I hope Cole Cheatham keeps performing.

It would be game changing if Fristoe finds his groove as the closer, that would be huge. It's not a long shot for Fristoe to become as a beast this year, he has that capacity.

Coach Lemonis said on tonights postgame show that Fristo will be in the Bullpen but has no defined role as of yet.

basedog
03-15-2022, 06:33 AM
No way would I move Preston out of the starting role. Hunt was good pre-fall/season but now is a little behind. No sense taking a chance plus he has some experience in the pen from last year.

Also, we have improved some hitting, but still too many K's and not enough clutch hitting. Things are better but now the competition gets real, and the Msu baseball team is about to find out who we are.

Hail State!

confucius say
03-15-2022, 04:05 PM
Fristoe was 93-95 last night with a nasty slider. That's the best he's looked. Maybe that role suits him.

Hunt finding a role will be huge. He has a big arm.

I keep Davis in center for a week or two. Let's see if he can do it. As well as he runs and will defend, if he can hit .260 I'll take it. Nobody else is tearing it up for that third OF a lot anyway.

parabrave
03-15-2022, 04:22 PM
So far this year Fristoe has been great the 1st inning. Its after that when things go bad. So why not try him in the closer spot

Homedawg
03-15-2022, 04:28 PM
So far this year Fristoe has been great the 1st inning. Its after that when things go bad. So why not try him in the closer spot

Bc you can't trust him enough to bring him in with runners on. Too many walks. They can try him in a clean inning.

The Federalist Engineer
03-15-2022, 04:42 PM
Fristoe was 93-95 last night with a nasty slider. That's the best he's looked. Maybe that role suits him.

Hunt finding a role will be huge. He has a big arm.

I keep Davis in center for a week or two. Let's see if he can do it. As well as he runs and will defend, if he can hit .260 I'll take it. Nobody else is tearing it up for that third OF a lot anyway.

I was thinking the same thing on all three players.

On Davis, there is a competence about him on defense, batting eye, and baserunning that seems to make up for other things. Plus, in small sample size, he is hitting 444 today. Plus, Davis has the Hit By Pitch (HBP) knack. He's got 3 HBP and 2 walks in just 16 at-bats.

Only guys with more HBP have 4 times more At Bats.

Commercecomet24
03-15-2022, 04:51 PM
Bc you can't trust him enough to bring him in with runners on. Too many walks. They can try him in a clean inning.

Yeah he still walks to many and to erratic. He definitely needs a clean inning to come in.

somebodyshotmypaw
03-15-2022, 08:25 PM
I was thinking the same thing on all three players.

On Davis, there is a competence about him on defense, batting eye, and baserunning that seems to make up for other things. Plus, in small sample size, he is hitting 444 today. Plus, Davis has the Hit By Pitch (HBP) knack. He's got 3 HBP and 2 walks in just 16 at-bats.

Only guys with more HBP have 4 times more At Bats.

Agree on Davis. I don’t really care what his batting average is. I’m concerned about his OBP. I don’t care if he hits a single, walks, or is hit by a pitch. I just want him to get on base. Because he’s not a slugger, and he does have speed. If he can get on base at a steady rate, he should play. I don’t care how he gets on base.

Todd4State
03-15-2022, 09:24 PM

Yeah he still walks to many and to erratic. He definitely needs a clean inning to come in.

He came in against Princeton in a jam and got out of it. He allowed a hit, a fly ball that should have been caught but then the hitter was out because he passed another runner so it was moot and then he got the final out.

HoopsDawg
03-15-2022, 10:51 PM
Agree on Davis. I don’t really care what his batting average is. I’m concerned about his OBP. I don’t care if he hits a single, walks, or is hit by a pitch. I just want him to get on base. Because he’s not a slugger, and he does have speed. If he can get on base at a steady rate, he should play. I don’t care how he gets on base.

Glad we are giving Davis a chance. It really extends our order.

HoopsDawg
03-15-2022, 11:13 PM
I like how things are taking shape. Lotan, James and Hancock are the core of this team and they will hit. Hunter Hines has exceeded already high expectations. Clark has gotten it going is a dangerous bat. Now it looks like Yeager is getting comfortable. Cumbest is a free swinger but can hit. That's 7 bats right there. Need to keep Jess Davis in the 1 hole and Leggett in the 9 hole and hope they can get on base or get some timely hits.

I like our SEC rotation. Preston, Cade, and Stinnett have quality stuff.

Our defense is excellent.

So it comes down to the bullpen. Need 5 or maybe 6 guys for the weekends. Hunt is coming back soon and we know he has great stuff. Fristoe looked great coming out of the pen for 1 inning so that would be huge. I like what I have seen from Auger. Brandon Smith is a vet. Kohn gives us a lefty. And Tepper gives us a power arm. That's 6 guys right there. And then Talley might be able to help some if he can throw the slider effectively.

New season starts Friday. I think we take 2 out of 3.

Todd4State
03-15-2022, 11:44 PM
No way would I move Preston out of the starting role. Hunt was good pre-fall/season but now is a little behind. No sense taking a chance plus he has some experience in the pen from last year.

Also, we have improved some hitting, but still too many K's and not enough clutch hitting. Things are better but now the competition gets real, and the Msu baseball team is about to find out who we are.

Hail State!

I think what we'll do is start Hunt against Southern and see where he is. Just an educated guess based on the fact that he opened the season as our Saturday guy but still an unknown until he goes out there. If he looks good we could move Cade Smith to Friday, Stinnett to Saturday, and then Hunt on Sunday. If he doesn't look good we just keep things as they are.

Todd4State
03-15-2022, 11:45 PM
I like how things are taking shape. Lotan, James and Hancock are the core of this team and they will hit. Hunter Hines has exceeded already high expectations. Clark has gotten it going is a dangerous bat. Now it looks like Yeager is getting comfortable. Cumbest is a free swinger but can hit. That's 7 bats right there. Need to keep Jess Davis in the 1 hole and Leggett in the 9 hole and hope they can get on base or get some timely hits.

I like our SEC rotation. Preston, Cade, and Stinnett have quality stuff.

Our defense is excellent.

So it comes down to the bullpen. Need 5 or maybe 6 guys for the weekends. Hunt is coming back soon and we know he has great stuff. Fristoe looked great coming out of the pen for 1 inning so that would be huge. I like what I have seen from Auger. Brandon Smith is a vet. Kohn gives us a lefty. And Tepper gives us a power arm. That's 6 guys right there. And then Talley might be able to help some if he can throw the slider effectively.

New season starts Friday. I think we take 2 out of 3.

I agree. Not sure what happens this weekend though. Georgia is very good and it's on the road.

TNDawg35
03-16-2022, 01:15 AM
If we’re gonna put Davis at leadoff, we need Hines and Clark in the 3/4 holes. Put Hancock at 2 if you want. Hancock isn’t gonna strike out and will walk a lot. His selection on pitches gives Davis plenty of time to run. LoTan seems like he pops the ball up way too much. He seems like he is trying to hit it 500 ft every single time. Move him down behind Clark.

If we’re gonna keep Yeager, which I would, I would keep Forsythe. Dude is just elite at SS. Teach the kid how to drag bunt and let him. Use him in the small ball game. Forsythe and Yeager up the middle is about as good as your gonna find in the SEC wise…

We have to figure out what to do with Kam. Do we leave him at 3rd and take our chances in LF or do we move him LF and put Alford at 3rd and let him take his lumps at the plate. KJ in LF and Alford at 3rd seems better defensively to me. (Barring not loosing the ball in the sun)… I would also have Hines at 1b instead of Hancock. Let Hancock DH. He isn’t playing 1st in the bigs, let Hines get used to 1st. He is gonna be future there. No sense in keeping Hancock there.

If I was Lemonis, which I’m not, I would throw this out there Friday. It’s time to let people get comfortable and stick with something…

Davis CF
Hancock DH
Hines 1B
Clark RF
LoTann C
James LF
Yeager 2B
Alford 3B
Forsythe SS

Late in the game, you can always pinch hit for Forsythe with Leggett or Seibert. Same way with Alford, just move KJ to 3rd and put Cumbest/Skinner or someone in LF.

We are gonna have to outscore some people in some games this year.

HoopsDawg
03-16-2022, 11:58 AM
I think what we'll do is start Hunt against Southern and see where he is. Just an educated guess based on the fact that he opened the season as our Saturday guy but still an unknown until he goes out there. If he looks good we could move Cade Smith to Friday, Stinnett to Saturday, and then Hunt on Sunday. If he doesn't look good we just keep things as they are.

Hunt needs to come out of the pen and I think he will.

Coach34
03-16-2022, 12:00 PM
Hunt needs to come out of the pen and I think he will.

We've been stretching out Johnson for a month now and Hunt is just resuming throwing. So yeah- nothing is changing anytime soon.

Coach34
03-16-2022, 12:11 PM
We have to figure out what to do with Kam. Do we leave him at 3rd and take our chances in LF or do we move him LF and put Alford at 3rd and let him take his lumps at the plate. KJ in LF and Alford at 3rd seems better defensively to me. (Barring not loosing the ball in the sun)… I would also have Hines at 1b instead of Hancock. Let Hancock DH. He isn’t playing 1st in the bigs, let Hines get used to 1st. He is gonna be future there. No sense in keeping Hancock there.

If I was Lemonis, which I’m not, I would throw this out there Friday. It’s time to let people get comfortable and stick with something…

Davis CF
Hancock DH
Hines 1B
Clark RF
LoTann C
James LF
Yeager 2B
Alford 3B
Forsythe SS

A) While Lemon is worried about getting players into the draft- he has to win at State first and foremost. We are going to keep Hancock at 1st because he is a veteran player. We'll get Hines ready to play 1st in the summer and next Fall.

B) Cumbest is 3rd in average, 1st in doubles, and 2nd in HR's on the team currently. He's not coming out of the line-up anytime soon unless he just really slumps. I'm sure we will continue to get Alford and Downs some AB's- but Siebert is more likely to get AB's as he hits from the left side.

C) Agree Davis needs a chance for the next 10 days or so. Would improve us defensively if he can handle himself at the plate well enough

Homedawg
03-16-2022, 12:12 PM
If we’re gonna put Davis at leadoff, we need Hines and Clark in the 3/4 holes. Put Hancock at 2 if you want. Hancock isn’t gonna strike out and will walk a lot. His selection on pitches gives Davis plenty of time to run. LoTan seems like he pops the ball up way too much. He seems like he is trying to hit it 500 ft every single time. Move him down behind Clark.

If we’re gonna keep Yeager, which I would, I would keep Forsythe. Dude is just elite at SS. Teach the kid how to drag bunt and let him. Use him in the small ball game. Forsythe and Yeager up the middle is about as good as your gonna find in the SEC wise…

Davis CF
Hancock DH
Hines 1B
Clark RF
LoTann C
James LF
Yeager 2B
Alford 3B
Forsythe SS

Late in the game, you can always pinch hit for Forsythe with Leggett or Seibert. Same way with Alford, just move KJ to 3rd and put Cumbest/Skinner or someone in LF.

Stacking 4 lh and then 5 rh is a not a way to piece a lineup together unless you are the opposing team

Commercecomet24
03-16-2022, 12:16 PM
If we?re gonna put Davis at leadoff, we need Hines and Clark in the 3/4 holes. Put Hancock at 2 if you want. Hancock isn?t gonna strike out and will walk a lot. His selection on pitches gives Davis plenty of time to run. LoTan seems like he pops the ball up way too much. He seems like he is trying to hit it 500 ft every single time. Move him down behind Clark.

If we?re gonna keep Yeager, which I would, I would keep Forsythe. Dude is just elite at SS. Teach the kid how to drag bunt and let him. Use him in the small ball game. Forsythe and Yeager up the middle is about as good as your gonna find in the SEC wise?

We have to figure out what to do with Kam. Do we leave him at 3rd and take our chances in LF or do we move him LF and put Alford at 3rd and let him take his lumps at the plate. KJ in LF and Alford at 3rd seems better defensively to me. (Barring not loosing the ball in the sun)? I would also have Hines at 1b instead of Hancock. Let Hancock DH. He isn?t playing 1st in the bigs, let Hines get used to 1st. He is gonna be future there. No sense in keeping Hancock there.

If I was Lemonis, which I?m not, I would throw this out there Friday. It?s time to let people get comfortable and stick with something?

Davis CF
Hancock DH
Hines 1B
Clark RF
LoTann C
James LF
Yeager 2B
Alford 3B
Forsythe SS

I don't think it's a good idea to have 4 left handers in a row and then 5 right handers in a row in the lineup. You need to stagger them. Make the pitching matchups a little tougher for the opposing coach especially later in the game.

desotodawg
03-16-2022, 01:30 PM
Saw on twitter where Lemonis said Forsythe came to the staff and said he wanted to pitch. He may be moving away from SS to the bullpen now.

KOdawg1
03-16-2022, 01:35 PM
Davis CF
Hancock DH
Hines 1B
Clark RF
LoTann C
James LF
Yeager 2B
Alford 3B
Forsythe SS

With those 9, I'd rearrange the order to be...

Davis L
James R
Hines L
LoTan R
Hancock L
Yeager R
Clark L
Alford R
Forsythe R

Homedawg
03-16-2022, 01:54 PM
Saw on twitter where Lemonis said Forsythe came to the staff and said he wanted to pitch. He may be moving away from SS to the bullpen now.

I think you're over reading it. We need arms and warm bodies. He pitched in high school. Hea trying to help out in a time that we actually might need him- ever how rare. But he's not moving from Ss to pitcher.

confucius say
03-16-2022, 03:33 PM

Davis CF
Hancock DH
Hines 1B
Clark RF
LoTann C
James LF
Yeager 2B
Alford 3B
Forsythe SS

You're pulling out cumbest for alford here. That's not happening. At least not anytime soon. Plus it makes you worse defensively bc James goes to left instead of cumbest.

Homedawg
03-16-2022, 04:08 PM
You're pulling out cumbest for alford here. That's not happening. At least not anytime soon. Plus it makes you worse defensively bc James goes to left instead of cumbest.

There's lots wrong w that lineup...

HoopsDawg
03-16-2022, 04:46 PM
There's lots wrong w that lineup...

yep. surprised so many people responded to it.

KOdawg1
03-16-2022, 04:49 PM
If we want to go with Jess Davis, here's what I would do..

1. Hancock 1B
2. James 3B
3. Hines DH
4. LoTan C
5. Clark RF
6. Cumbest LF
7. Yeager 2B
8. Davis CF
9. Leggett/Forythe SS