PDA

View Full Version : Baseball, SEC play starts this week....

HoopsDawg
03-13-2022, 08:14 PM
-I hope we leave Cade Smith in the Sunday slot. I just like the matchup. I feel he can keep us from getting swept. And if we can find a way to go 1-1, I like our chances to win the series. That's what it's all about now...what is the best way for us to win 2 out of 3. We are going to be out-gunned on Friday nights without Sims, but PJ will compete. Stinnett has SEC stuff so he can pull out some Saturday wins.

-Lemonis has got to stop putting Leggett and Forsythe in the lineup together. He did it twice this weekend. Good to see Yeager go 2-4 in Game 3. We have no choice but to roll with Yeager.

-I like Alford's future a lot, but this isn't his year. Leave Kam James at 3rd base and let's give Jess Davis a shot in CF. At the very least he is an elite defender.

-Speaking of Forsythe, I thought we were onto something with Leggett at SS until 3rd or 4th AB, then PH, then Forsythe. Let's get back to that please.

The pen is going to be a challenge. I like what Tepper can do. I think Auger has been a little under-utilized. Hopefully Hunt comes back and can help.

Homedawg
03-13-2022, 08:19 PM
-I hope we leave Cade Smith in the Sunday slot. I just like the matchup. I feel he can keep us from getting swept. And if we can find a way to go 1-1, I like our chances to win the series. That's what it's all about now...what is the best way for us to win 2 out of 3. We are going to be out-gunned on Friday nights without Sims, but PJ will compete. Stinnett has SEC stuff so he can pull out some Saturday wins.

-Lemonis has got to stop putting Leggett and Forsythe in the lineup together. He did it twice this weekend. Good to see Yeager go 2-4 in Game 3. We have no choice but to roll with Yeager.

-I like Alford's future a lot, but this isn't his year. Leave Kam James at 3rd base and let's give Jess Davis a shot in CF. At the very least he is an elite defender.

-Speaking of Forsythe, I thought we were onto something with Leggett at SS until 3rd or 4th AB, then PH, then Forsythe. Let's get back to that please.

The pen is going to be a challenge. I like what Tepper can do. I think Auger has been a little under-utilized. Hopefully Hunt comes back and can help.

Every single position player has drawn a start in the field.... except Davis. 7 different outfielders not counting James have drawn a start. Does that tell you what they think of him offensively??

AlSwearengen
03-13-2022, 08:29 PM
This is going to be a rough year, I’m afraid.

EdwardDrayton
03-13-2022, 08:36 PM
SEC slate already?!? We respectfully request a continuance of non conference play Your Honor.

basedog
03-13-2022, 08:37 PM

I also like Cade in the Sunday game. We gotta hit, we are ok with pitching but not deep, yet. Tanner and James have to get going, clutch hitting has been our weakness so far.

Saltydog
03-13-2022, 08:41 PM
This is going to be a rough year, I?m afraid.

Yep, afraid so. We could easily be one of the bottom two or three teams in the West.

Homedawg
03-13-2022, 08:45 PM
I also like Cade in the Sunday game. We gotta hit, we are ok with pitching but not deep, yet. Tanner and James have to get going, clutch hitting has been our weakness so far.

Id leave Cade on Sunday as well.

StarkVegasSteve
03-13-2022, 08:45 PM
Really good to get Kellum going this weekend. We need the 3 headed monster of Hines, Tanner, and James to produce for the middle part of the lineup. The back end is looking like a black hole once again. We really need Cumbest to get going, but I have little hope of that happening since I doubt he is going to see a FB in the zone for the first month.

We need to settle on our bullpen rotations. Fristoe is getting to the point where he is almost unusable in any situation. The reliable arms in our pen at this point are Tepper, Auger, Smith, Kohn, Talley, and I can not believe I am typing this but Tullar really came on this week. We need him to be our matchup LH guy.

We have to figure out our middle IF. Pick two and roll with it. I would personally go Leggett and Yeager. Use Forsythe as a late inning defensive replacement.

We did exactly what we needed to this weekend, now we need to find a way to get 2 of 3 this weekend.

HoopsDawg
03-13-2022, 08:47 PM
Every single position player has drawn a start in the field.... except Davis. 7 different outfielders not counting James have drawn a start. Does that tell you what they think of him offensively??

and none of them have hit. We have 4 years of evidence that Jess Davis can be a .260+ hitter at least. Skinner, Corder, Downs, Seibert: they aren't getting it done. As I said, at least Davis is an elite/gold glove CF.

StarkVegasSteve
03-13-2022, 08:51 PM
and none of them have hit. We have 4 years of evidence that Jess Davis can be a .260+ hitter at least. Skinner, Corder, Downs, Seibert: they aren't getting it done. As I said, at least Davis is an elite/gold glove CF.

You have evidence of him doing that at UAB. We had evidence of Yeager tearing the cover off the ball at Mercer. Not really doing that here. However, I do agree that we should at least give him a chance, he cannot really do any worse at this point.

HoopsDawg
03-13-2022, 08:54 PM
You have evidence of him doing that at UAB. We had evidence of Yeager tearing the cover off the ball at Mercer. Not really doing that here. However, I do agree that we should at least give him a chance, he cannot really do any worse at this point.

That's all I'm saying. The guy transfered here to be our starting CF. He didn't hit in the fall. He didn't hit in the spring scrimmages. I get that. But let's give him the start tomorrow night and go from there.

Homedawg
03-13-2022, 08:54 PM

I'm aware of that. I'm just pointing out the facts. Clearly the staff doesn't see much in him offensively. Otherwise, he like every other position player, would have started. Don't think it's gonna start now.

StarkVegasSteve
03-13-2022, 09:03 PM
That's all I'm saying. The guy transfered here to be our starting CF. He didn't hit in the fall. He didn't hit in the spring scrimmages. I get that. But let's give him the start tomorrow night and go from there.

100% agree. You start him tomorrow and if he has a good night then maybe you roll him out against UGA for one of the games. If he has a crap game then hey you gave him a chance and you roll with Corder/Seibert/James or whoever we put out there.

Saltydog
03-13-2022, 09:10 PM

He transferred here to get an "opportunity" to be our starting CF. It was never going to be given to him on a silver platter. Truth is, he's not going to hit at this level. He's Skinner 2.0 and we need sticks in the lineup.

HoopsDawg
03-13-2022, 09:23 PM
He transferred here to get an "opportunity" to be our starting CF. It was never going to be given to him on a silver platter. Truth is, he's not going to hit at this level. He's Skinner 2.0 and we need sticks in the lineup.

He hit .296, .290, and .258 at UAB. That's D1. CUSA comp is just as good if not better than what we have played this season. The year he hit .258, he had a .367 OBP and stole 23 bases.

He's batting .429 for us, 3 for 7 so obviously that's a ridiculously small sample size. But consider that Skinner is hitting .167, Corder .160, and Alford .214, what the hell do we have to lose.

Todd4State
03-14-2022, 12:17 AM
I think we need to keep the rotation the same at least for now. Even though I dislike Johnson on Friday. I'd rather start Cade Smith on Friday, Preston on Saturday, and then Stinnett has to stay on Sunday because he can be erratic early. Hard to shuffle the rotation this early though.

Bullpen is unsettled because of injuries causing us to have to regroup. I liked bringing in Tepper to close and Fristoe in relief. One of those hits was obviously not Fristoe's fault. Auger has been good. Don't know why he was pulled so soon today. Tullar has been better. They didn't overextend Brandon Smith for once which was nice to see. Pico is good and can help us. Cole Cheatham had a good day today. KC Hunt is the wild card here. He can help the staff out in some way- starter or reliever. I don't know how they plan on using him when he gets better. I think we have some pieces. We have figure out where they fit. I think the closer will ultimately be one of Tepper, Hunt, Fristoe, or Auger. Brandon and Pico are good first out of the pen guys that can give us a couple of innings. Tullar is a middle relief guy all the way. Once we establish who the closer is I think the other roles will fall into place.

I would like to see what Davis can do starting in CF. He may not work out but he is our best chance at having a SEC caliber leadoff hitter. This would allow us to hit Hancock second which is where he fits better IMO.

I think we all saw why I had reservations about Kam James going to the OF. It's just not that easy.

We need to keep Yeager in the lineup. He was better against Tulane- and then they sat him? Not sure why. Leggett needs to start at SS with Forsythe coming in late for defense.

I'd like to see us use this lineup.

1. Davis CF
2. Hancock 1B
3. James 3B
4. Kellum RF
5. LoTan C
6. Hines DH
7. Cumbest LF
8. Leggett SS
9. Yeager 2B

This team to me appears to be coming together. Unfortunately we've had to re-work the pitching staff due to injuries after three weeks.