PDA

View Full Version : Any word on Quay's status??

deltadawg99
11-22-2013, 09:31 AM
Also, has Nick James been doing the necessary stuff to get back in the good graces? Really hoping Quay and Nick can get their heads straight. Hard not to be excited about next year's defense, espcially if these two are finally ready to live up to their potential.

ShotgunDawg
11-22-2013, 09:35 AM
Also, has Nick James been doing the necessary stuff to get back in the good graces? Really hoping Quay and Nick can get their heads straight. Hard not to be excited about next year's defense, espcially if these two are finally ready to live up to their potential.

I hope they get it together as well, but our defense is going to be good next year with our without them. At this point, it's about them getting their heads on straight so they don't ruin their life, and not so much about them getting things straight to help our d-line, because we are going to be good there with our without them.

UMCDawg16
11-22-2013, 09:42 AM
What I'm thinking is that if Quay and Nick play next year that means that Chris (the Beast) Jones can move to DE.

deltadawg99
11-22-2013, 09:49 AM
A 4-3 defensive line of:

DE: Preston Smith
DT: Quay
DT: Nick
DE: Chris Jones

Would be pretty salty and you have a ton of guys you can rotate in there as well

BogeyGolfer
11-22-2013, 09:56 AM
Calhoun before our after Quay? I think both are from the same school one was 1 star and the other a 5 star... Can't say enough about how well Calhoun is doing and looking forward to getting Quay more involved. Great job of evaluating talent by Mullen and staff with Calhoun.

sbcmortgageman
11-22-2013, 10:00 AM

Yes he's still lazy.

quickstrike2
11-22-2013, 10:00 AM
I'm about past the point of ever expecting them to contribute.

thedawg
11-22-2013, 10:04 AM
I have been told from numerous sources the likely hood of them ever amounting to much is very slim. Some of my sources are their teammates. I know we all want them to grow up but the longer this festers the less likely it appears to come. I see it playing out this way: Nelson Adams continue to make a jump along with Trent Simpson and or Jordan Washington. We return Eulls, Virges, and PJ for their senior year. Additionally I think Chris Jones never moves back outside. So I think that Quay and Nick will either be phased out or dismissed completely between now and next season. They have been given tons of chances.

Barking 13
11-22-2013, 10:11 AM
https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTuDFIpGdsXDIWMwKBuXFnGIB0Rgh4hk z1ornYWMM2u9_SFhX54gQ

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
11-22-2013, 10:32 AM
Calhoun before our after Quay? I think both are from the same school one was 1 star and the other a 5 star... Can't say enough about how well Calhoun is doing and looking forward to getting Quay more involved. Great job of evaluating talent by Mullen and staff with Calhoun.
Correct, both attended Morton HS. Calhoun came out in 2011 as a 3 star (247) and Quay came out a 4 star in 2012. Funny that the thinking at the time was that we'd signed Calhoun to get Quay and now look at where they are.

Coach34
11-22-2013, 10:37 AM
A 4-3 defensive line of:

DE: Preston Smith
DT: Quay
DT: Nick
DE: Chris Jones

Would be pretty salty and you have a ton of guys you can rotate in there as well

Or more likely:

DE- Preston Smith
DT- Kaleb Eulls
DT- Chris Jones
DE- AJ Jefferson

That DL is much better than the one you mentioned. I dont look for Quay or Nick to ever get it together and that potential is just likely to get wasted.

That DL plus McKinney, Brown, and Wells at LB will be a damn good front in 2014

BeastMan
11-22-2013, 10:38 AM
Correct, both attended Morton HS. Calhoun came out in 2011 as a 3 star (247) and Quay came out a 4 star in 2012. Funny that the thinking at the time was that we'd signed Calhoun to get Quay and now look at where they are.

Funny how that works. We signed Deonte Skinnee from Noxubee County and he's had a nice career while his teammate Pat Patterson never amounted to anything after signing with Ole Miss. Just goes to show the message board meltdowns are silly.

Coach34
11-22-2013, 10:40 AM
Funny how that works. We signed Deonte Skinnee from Noxubee County and he's had a nice career while his teammate Pat Patterson never amounted to anything after signing with Ole Miss. Just goes to show the message board meltdowns are silly.

so true- but I bet we have another come January and Feb

thedawg
11-22-2013, 10:43 AM
I think Ryan Brown is better than AJ but both will play alot

Or more likely:

DE- Preston Smith
DT- Kaleb Eulls
DT- Chris Jones
DE- AJ Jefferson

That DL is much better than the one you mentioned. I dont look for Quay or Nick to ever get it together and that potential is just likely to get wasted.

That DL plus McKinney, Brown, and Wells at LB will be a damn good front in 2014

Dawgfan77
11-22-2013, 10:53 AM
What's up with Torey Dale. Hack you were pretty high on him

BankerDog
11-22-2013, 10:53 AM
Don't be quick to write off James just yet. He has leaned up a good bit and has been showing out in practice. I haven't heard much about Quay here in the last few weeks but I will see what I can find out.

thedawg
11-22-2013, 10:57 AM
Ive heard Torrey Dale isnt happy with his lack of playing time. I have no idea how good he is but between Smith, Autry, Brown and Jefferson you have to be pretty dad gum good to crack the DE rotation this year. We are adding a Juco DE also.

Political Hack
11-22-2013, 11:09 AM
What's up with Torey Dale. Hack you were pretty high on him

yeah, I thought he had huge upside... as in lottery pick upside, but he's just not working out like I though. Ryan Brown, who I acknowledged was stump ripping strong but didn't think he was a stud, has eaten up all of his playing time. Kid can flat out play.

Just a hunch, but I wouldn't be shocked to see Dale look elsewhere for PT. I think he needs a 3-4 team that will let him stand up and rush the QB or maintain the edge. He can sift through traffic as well as anyone I've ever seen, but if he can't stop a 225 lb RB in his tracks after doing that he's not going to be an all conference type in the SEC.

GumpDawg
11-22-2013, 11:14 AM
Didn't I see where Mullen said Dale was injured?

Political Hack
11-22-2013, 11:30 AM
Didn't I see where Mullen said Dale was injured?

he may be. I don't know. just basing this off of some things I've heard.

If he is hurt, hopefully that's what's slowing him down because the guy can sift through blockers like I've never seen.

smootness
11-22-2013, 11:32 AM
All I know is that we will be really, really good without either one of them, phenomenal if one of them gets it together and realizes their potential, and just totally and completely sick (as in best DL in the country sick) if they both get it together.

The likelihood of either one coming around isn't fantastic, but I'll take really, really good any day.

Political Hack
11-22-2013, 11:34 AM
I used to think Quay would make and Nick wouldn't, but I'm beginning to switch that opinion.

CadaverDawg
11-22-2013, 11:38 AM
I used to think Quay would make and Nick wouldn't, but I'm beginning to switch that opinion.

Me too. I really wish someone could sit down with those two guys and just tell them that if they will just put forth max effort on the field and listening to their coaches, they will be millionaires in 3 years. I know pretty much everyone on this board would have given their left nut to have that kind of talent and a shot at being a millionaire on the football field.

I still have hope for both of them. After seeing that video of Chris Jones, maybe the youngster could talk to them about teaming up with him to become the best DL in the country. Who knows.

Maybe they will surprise us.

Barking 13
11-22-2013, 11:42 AM
Me too. I really wish someone could sit down with those two guys and just tell them that if they will just put forth max effort on the field and listening to their coaches, they will be millionaires in 3 years. I know pretty much everyone on this board would have given their left nut to have that kind of talent and a shot at being a millionaire on the football field.

I still have hope for both of them. After seeing that video of Chris Jones, maybe the youngster could talk to them about teaming up with him to become the best DL in the country. Who knows.

I think you've got something there CD....

Political Hack
11-22-2013, 11:44 AM
Nick is a beast on the field if he can control his emotions. if he has a good summer and can just stay level headed for about 8 months, he'll be a millionaire.

ShotgunDawg
11-22-2013, 11:46 AM

I would have to assume that our coaches, that are paid a lot of money and have their careers at stake, have probably done this on multiple occasions. The problem is that people who don't get it usually don't realize that they don't get it.

There are 1st round busts and high recruited players that don't pan out, every year. It just becomes more obvious when you don't sign a ton of them.

Goat Holder
11-22-2013, 11:48 AM
I was about to post the same thing. Coaches have probably exhausted every effort.

mic
11-22-2013, 11:52 AM
If Nick is still enrolled in school by next fall I think the light has come on..
Quay I have basically given up on.. Esp with the DL coach we have here.. If Turner for some reason leaves then that may change my mind on Quay.. Wouldn't be shocked to see him starting at DL for a SWAC team next year..

Goat Holder
11-22-2013, 11:53 AM
Do any of you know anything about this or are you just speculating? I think by now, we only know for certain that Nick James didn't do what he needed to do in the classroom and was overweight/lazy. So he's paying the price by redshirting this year.

We really don't know much on Quay Evans. Sure he was a 5 star, but so was Jerrell Powe, and he really didn't contribute until his last two years. Have any of you stopped to think maybe Quay just isn't good enough to play over who we have? Sure he got arrested, but nothing serious. It's not like he's out there committing crimes and declaring mutiny on the team. The times I saw him play, the potential was obvious, but he just didn't seem polished enough to log significant minutes. If was a 2 star with the same potential, nobody would care, people would just assume he's developing much like other players.

Just something to think about. Pre-determined expectations based on emotion rather than logic will misguide you 90% of the time. "Oooooo look he's a FIVE STAR LOLOLZZZ!!!! he should start IMMEDIATELY we're lil ole mize STATE hohehahum duh kill me"

Bo Darville
11-22-2013, 11:59 AM

Calhoun over Quay, Skinner over Patterson. Also Market over Brassell.

CadaverDawg
11-22-2013, 12:00 PM
Calhoun over Quay, Skinner over Patterson. Also Market over Brassell.

Chris Jones say: "The meltdown over me may have been warranted"

mic
11-22-2013, 12:03 PM
Do any of you know anything about this or are you just speculating? I think by now, we only know for certain that Nick James didn't do what he needed to do in the classroom and was overweight/lazy. So he's paying the price by redshirting this year.

We really don't know much on Quay Evans. Sure he was a 5 star, but so was Jerrell Powe, and he really didn't contribute until his last two years. Have any of you stopped to think maybe Quay just isn't good enough to play over who we have? Sure he got arrested, but nothing serious. It's not like he's out there committing crimes and declaring mutiny on the team. The times I saw him play, the potential was obvious, but he just didn't seem polished enough to log significant minutes. If was a 2 star with the same potential, nobody would care, people would just assume he's developing much like other players.

Just something to think about. Pre-determined expectations based on emotion rather than logic will misguide you 90% of the time. "Oooooo look he's a FIVE STAR LOLOLZZZ!!!! he should start IMMEDIATELY we're lil ole mize STATE hohehahum duh kill me"

I agree somewhat.. But I was at a function the night after our media days before last season started .. CDM there. A lot of us were talking to him about players he has coached in the past. (Tebow. Alex Smith, ect) Said of all the players he has coached Percy Harvin had the IT factor.. We asked him who at state might have the same effect as Percy did. He said Nick James..

thedawg
11-22-2013, 12:03 PM
I have been around both a good bit. Quay is extremely immature and doesnt have a lot of act right. It makes him unreliable because hes always acting like an eight year old. Nick is much more mature but he is lazier and has anger issues. It makes him unreliable because hes constantly tettering on being out of shape and prone to an absolute emotional explosion.... Both are very talented but with issues... At some point an SEC program has to look at Quay and say "Grow the **** up or get gone" and look at Nick and say "Lose weight and stop pitching temper tantrums or get gone" Both have millions riding on their ability to quell their demons.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
11-22-2013, 12:10 PM
Exactly, hell look at om. I remember all the drama when they signed Byron Bennett and Carlton Martin in the same class and what have they done so far? I for one am glad they signed the 4 players from Jackson this year. Just like Bennett and Martin I don't think all of the Jackson guys will be panning out. I think Speaks has a chance to be the best out of the group.

Goat Holder
11-22-2013, 12:30 PM
Thanks. Joe Morrow is another that, to me, sort of has that immature thing going on, acting (and looking) like a kid. But this year, his 3rd year in the system, he seems to be getting it. His attitude is better and he's catching more passes. Maybe next year will also be the year for James and Evans.

smootness
11-22-2013, 12:34 PM

Well, we know he has been suspended more than once, those definitely weren't times where he just didn't get on the field.

And I would think the coaches would have redshirted him if he just wasn't good enough to play. The fact that he's had issues off the field and still plays some tells me he is plenty good enough.

BeastMan
11-22-2013, 12:37 PM
he may be. I don't know. just basing this off of some things I've heard.

If he is hurt, hopefully that's what's slowing him down because the guy can sift through blockers like I've never seen.

He has a knee injury right now. It's not a real bad tear or anything but I think an ACL sprain or something

scottycameron
11-22-2013, 12:41 PM
I have been around both a good bit. Quay is extremely immature and doesnt have a lot of act right. It makes him unreliable because hes always acting like an eight year old. Nick is much more mature but he is lazier and has anger issues. It makes him unreliable because hes constantly tettering on being out of shape and prone to an absolute emotional explosion.... Both are very talented but with issues... At some point an SEC program has to look at Quay and say "Grow the **** up or get gone" and look at Nick and say "Lose weight and stop pitching temper tantrums or get gone" Both have millions riding on their ability to quell their demons.

Off the internet it is much more easily described. But yeah, I think you are pretty close.

ShotgunDawg
11-22-2013, 12:42 PM
This whole debate is why recruiting rankings are basically unreliable for teams that rank between around 10 and near 40. The difference between a 3 star player and a medium to low 4 star player is such a thin line that the players mental make-up, university FIT, and schematic fit will basically be the determining factor as to how good they are.

In recruiting here is what you get:

1. 5 star player = talent + makeup. This is why recruiting matters at the top. Bama, LSU, etc get players with both talent and makeup. The best of the best.

2. High 4 star player = equal or slightly less talent than 5 star, with good makeup. Good players that you can win with. Think Fletcher Cox

3. Low 4 star player = good talent that was wither underrated or has makeup concerns

4. High 3 star = 4 star talent with makeup risk, or 3 star talent with elite makeup.

5. 3 star = Solid talent, good or bad makeup, or underrated talent that should be a 4 star

The point is that once you get out of the 5 star/high 4 star players. There are major question marks about these players, and since most of the recruiting classes between 10-40 are more or less made up entirely of these types of players, their success will usually come down to college fit, schematic fit, and mental makeup.

On 247, the difference between an 87 3 star and a 90 4 star is so small that the difference in talent level will have little effect on which player has the better college career.

Recruiting rankings are very valuable at the extremes. The schools that recruit at the top win championships, and the schools that recruit at the bottom don't, However, there is an enormous gap between about 8-45 that these recruiting gurus aren't near qualified or close enough to the players to properly evaluate. For goodness sakes, these guys put grades on players after watching a highlight video. Most of the recruiting gurus don't see these guys play, talk to their coaches, talk to their parents, or get any real feel for the person they are evaluating. Just very incorrect unless the player completely blows you away on film.

It's why Auburn and Missouri have similar talent levels. It's why Ole Miss and us have similar talent level, just at different positions. There is just a bigger gap between number 1 in recruiting and number 8 in recruiting than there is between 8 and 45.

Just my opinion.

smootness
11-22-2013, 12:52 PM
1. 5 star player = talent + makeup. This is why recruiting matters at the top. Bama, LSU, etc get players with both talent and makeup. The best of the best.

2. High 4 star player = equal or slightly less talent than 5 star, with good makeup. Good players that you can win with. Think Fletcher Cox

3. Low 4 star player = good talent that was wither underrated or has makeup concerns

4. High 3 star = 4 star talent with makeup risk, or 3 star talent with elite makeup.

5. 3 star = Solid talent, good or bad makeup, or underrated talent that should be a 4 star

I agree with your overall point Shotgun, but I don't really get your descriptions here. So every low 4-star is either underrated or has make-up concerns? Huh? Perhaps they are just a low 4-star in talent.

We have seen plenty of 5-star guys without great make-up...Quay Evans being one of them. Why can't a high 4-star be a super elite talent with some concerns over off-field issues? You're telling me every high 4-star or 5-star guy has great make-up?

Doesn't make sense.

maroonmania
11-22-2013, 12:53 PM
I would have to assume that our coaches, that are paid a lot of money and have their careers at stake, have probably done this on multiple occasions. The problem is that people who don't get usually don't realize that they don't get it.

There are 1st round busts and high recruited players that don't pan out, every year. It just becomes more obvious when you don't sign a ton of them.

Exactly, people with no work ethic don't normally just wake up one day WITH a work ethic. If they develop one its a long, slow process to do so and most NEVER do.

ShotgunDawg
11-22-2013, 01:06 PM
I agree with your overall point Shotgun, but I don't really get your descriptions here. So every low 4-star is either underrated or has make-up concerns? Huh? Perhaps they are just a low 4-star in talent.

We have seen plenty of 5-star guys without great make-up...Quay Evans being one of them. Why can't a high 4-star be a super elite talent with some concerns over off-field issues? You're telling me every high 4-star or 5-star guy has great make-up?

Doesn't make sense.

No, there are certainly exceptions and this wasn't meant to be an absolute. Just pointing out questions that come with each grade, and generally what you are BUYING in a recruit.

Just making an overall point and didn't want to get bogged down in the details. All human beings are different and sometimes the recruiting gurus do perfectly evaluate a player. It's just very hit or miss.

Homedawg
11-22-2013, 01:12 PM
Hack is right, Nick isn't a bad guy, he is just immature. But he and quay both screwed around and were ineligible. Quay got a waiver to play due to some circumstances he had. Then he, quay cant do what he needs to do. He is going down a slippery slope and we have just about exhausted all our energy on him. If he and nick make it to and thru spring, there is hope. We shall see.

Percho
11-22-2013, 02:19 PM
Hack is right, Nick isn't a bad guy, he is just immature. But he and quay both screwed around and were ineligible. Quay got a waiver to play due to some circumstances he had. Then he, quay cant do what he needs to do. He is going down a slippery slope and we have just about exhausted all our energy on him. If he and nick make it to and thru spring, there is hope. We shall see.

I am not necessarily big on counseling per se but I believe they both need to be talked to by someone who has been there there done that and made it through. I also have no idea who that would be.

Coach34
11-22-2013, 02:48 PM
I am not necessarily big on counseling per se but I believe they both need to be talked to by someone who has been there there done that and made it through. I also have no idea who that would be.

That's been done. You can't change people who don't want to change. Hopefully they will wake up

HereComesTheSpiral
11-22-2013, 02:56 PM

Dontae Walker

Percho
11-22-2013, 07:37 PM
Dontae Walker

You may be on to something. He would be a good one.

Madisonmd
11-23-2013, 05:32 AM
Quay has only passed 3 hours I hear. Not going to class. Probably will not be on team . Dont know much about Nick

Coach34
11-23-2013, 09:53 AM
Quay has only passed 3 hours I hear. Not going to class. Probably will not be on team . Dont know much about Nick

So Quay has gone from the Honor Roll and a student that graduated early to not going to class in 1 year?

thedawg
11-23-2013, 10:57 AM
Acts like a 8 year old when shit doesn't go his way