PDA

View Full Version : Realistic Candidates MBB

THE Bruce Dickinson
03-13-2022, 02:07 PM
Since it looks like Ben is going to done with his tenure, who are some realistic candidates that would entertain the job?

Two names I keep hearing are:

Chris Jans at New Mexico State

Matt McMahon at Murray State

Who else?

msstate7
03-13-2022, 02:11 PM
Bob Richie at Furman, I guess... heard his name around message boards

Santiago
03-13-2022, 02:15 PM
Further down the list is Golden from San Francisco. He coached under Bruce Pearl. I like his offense also.

StarkVegasSteve
03-13-2022, 02:34 PM
Tier A: Matt McMahon(Murray State), Chris Jans(NMSU)

Tier B: Bob Richey(Furman), Grant Mccasland(North Texas), Kyle Keller(Stephen F Austin), Todd Golden(USF), Eric Henderson(South Dakota St.), Bryce Drew(Grand Canyon)

If it gets past Tier B, which it almost assuredly won't. Things could get dicey FAST. But if you had to go to a Tier C I guess you would probably have Ritchie Riley(Troy), AK, Ulrich Maligi(Texas asst.), John Becker(Vermont),

Edit: Kyle Keller at SF Austin will get a look and he should. 126-55 there and if the 2020 tournament is not cancelled he probably makes a run. They were 28-3 and had a win in Cameron Indoor. He also has an impressive resume from who he's coached under. Was with Eddie Sutton at OK State and also with Bill Self at Kansas. If I had money on it he would be my dark horse candidate.

msstate7
03-13-2022, 02:38 PM
Are we gonna accept NIT if offered?

StarkVegasSteve
03-13-2022, 02:42 PM

Cohen said on the baseball broadcast we would accept and I think we will get a bid.

msstate7
03-13-2022, 02:44 PM
Cohen said on the baseball broadcast we would accept and I think we will get a bid.

Good deal. Hopefully the team actually wants to get a trip to NYC

Leroy Jenkins
03-13-2022, 03:51 PM
Bob Richie at Furman, I guess... heard his name around message boards

There's only one Bob Richey.

https://media2.metrotimes.com/metrotimes/imager/u/original/2464907/rock_blog.png

msstate7
03-13-2022, 04:42 PM
Well I hope Florida isn't interested in our targets.

StarkVegasSteve
03-13-2022, 04:47 PM
Well I hope Florida isn't interested in our targets.

Maybe Stricklin will take another MSU coach***

msstate7
03-13-2022, 05:34 PM
Thursday will be Murray st vs San Fran. 2 of our potential coaches

Ifyouonlyknew
03-13-2022, 05:53 PM
Top Candidates: Jans & McMahon
2nd Tier: Golden & Richey

As of today I don’t think it makes it past the top tier. We could get the next 2 also if need be.

Cooterpoot
03-13-2022, 05:57 PM
With Cohen, I wouldn't be surprised if it's Jans or James Green at Meridian. His searches are always all over the place.

viverlibre
03-13-2022, 06:10 PM
It will be Andy Kennedy.

Ifyouonlyknew
03-13-2022, 06:11 PM
With Cohen, I wouldn't be surprised if it's Jans or James Green at Meridian. His searches are always all over the place.

The only saving Grace for us are the basketball boosters are way more involved & he still needs to get this renovation completed.

Ifyouonlyknew
03-13-2022, 06:12 PM
It will be Andy Kennedy.

Don’t wish that on our program.

StarkVegasSteve
03-13-2022, 07:25 PM
The only saving Grace for us are the basketball boosters are way more involved & he still needs to get this renovation completed.

It's one booster in particular.

Coach34
03-13-2022, 10:10 PM
Top Candidates: Jans & McMahon
2nd Tier: Golden & Richey

As of today I don’t think it makes it past the top tier. We could get the next 2 also if need be.

McMahon will be sought after by bigger fish. Can probably eliminate him.

msstate7
03-13-2022, 10:14 PM
Any word on who Florida and Missouri will pursue? I think both are more attractive sec jobs

Ifyouonlyknew
03-13-2022, 10:33 PM
McMahon will be sought after by bigger fish. Can probably eliminate him.

We’ll see

BiscuitEater
03-14-2022, 08:55 AM
It will be Andy Kennedy.

No, it won't!

Coach34
03-14-2022, 09:25 AM
No, it won't!

It may not be- but he is in the mix for it

msstate7
03-14-2022, 09:45 AM

Hiring AK would be awesome for the message board melt downs.

shoeless joe
03-14-2022, 10:08 AM

I’m ready for him to retire so he can go back to the SEC network. That guy is television gold as a color commentator

Quaoarsking
03-14-2022, 10:29 AM
Andy Kennedy's tenure at Ole Miss wasn't any different than Howland's here.

dawgshoops
03-14-2022, 10:49 AM
Since it looks like Ben is going to done with his tenure, who are some realistic candidates that would entertain the job?

Two names I keep hearing are:

Chris Jans at New Mexico State

Matt McMahon at Murray State

Who else?

New to the forum.. I heard Richie Riley's name over at South Alabama is a serious name. Anyone else hear this?

Ifyouonlyknew
03-14-2022, 10:55 AM

He wants to be in the mix for it

Coach34
03-14-2022, 11:20 AM
Andy Kennedy's tenure at Ole Miss wasn't any different than Howland's here.

Nobody said it was. Our next hire is not going to be anymore successful to this point than Howland has been.

AK averaged 20 wins at a turd school with an awful playing facility. And he just made the NCAA's in the conference Stands cant make it in.

StarkVegasSteve
03-14-2022, 12:11 PM
Nobody said it was. Our next hire is not going to be anymore successful to this point than Howland has been.

AK averaged 20 wins at a turd school with an awful playing facility. And he just made the NCAA's in the conference Stands cant make it in.

Legitimate question, when the hell did Stansbury piss in your Cheerios?? Like we get it you have an absolute disdain for the guy, but the need to bring him up as somehow legitimatizing AK is just bad.

MoreCowbell
03-14-2022, 12:13 PM

I hope so. Why not?

msstate7
03-14-2022, 12:14 PM
I hope so. Why not?

We obviously did. I wasn't sure bc of coaching turnover

BiscuitEater
03-14-2022, 12:17 PM

Your HATE for Stans & LOVE for AK always "shines' through!

Coach34
03-14-2022, 12:20 PM
I hope so. Why not?

instead of hosting an NIT game- we are going to lose money on a flight to Virginia, hotel, and meals to get beat with a team that doesnt really want to play and a coach with a foot out the door.

Coach34
03-14-2022, 12:31 PM
Legitimate question, when the hell did Stansbury piss in your Cheerios?? Like we get it you have an absolute disdain for the guy, but the need to bring him up as somehow legitimatizing AK is just bad.

Stands did nothing. He's actually a nice guy. I have disdain for alot of our fans.

It goes back to the early days of Sixpack back in 2003/2004 when I criticized some things Stands was doing within the program. I told them that if he didnt change these things- he would never sustain any real success and would never make a Sweet 16. So the sheep there just gathered to argue and act like what I said was insane. Turns out I was right. Same thing happened with Croom after "The Maine". Told them the Croom Coast Offense would never work at State. Got the standard "he just needs his guys in here" replies.

The Stands thing just became a hobby to have fun with because I could twist stats and bad losses to get the sheep in a frenzy. It's lost alot of its luster but it's still fun to poke at the closet Stands Lovers even today. AK making the NCAA's this weekend just eats them up. Q and some others were just spouting about Stands being in a 1-bid league and it being harder to get in the NCAA's now for Western Kentucky- yet here goes AK doing it in just 2 seasons in the same conference. It's always been about our fans and their craziness- not Stands

Quaoarsking
03-14-2022, 12:40 PM
I'm "crazy" now for pointing out that NCAA bids from 1-bid leagues are a crapshoot that entirely depend on one weekend and not the course of the season.

Maybe next we can decide who's better and worse at rolling dice.

StarkVegasSteve
03-14-2022, 01:02 PM
Stands did nothing. He's actually a nice guy. I have disdain for alot of our fans.

It goes back to the early days of Sixpack back in 2003/2004 when I criticized some things Stands was doing within the program. I told them that if he didnt change these things- he would never sustain any real success and would never make a Sweet 16. So the sheep there just gathered to argue and act like what I said was insane. Turns out I was right. Same thing happened with Croom after "The Maine". Told them the Croom Coast Offense would never work at State. Got the standard "he just needs his guys in here" replies.

The Stands thing just became a hobby to have fun with because I could twist stats and bad losses to get the sheep in a frenzy. It's lost alot of its luster but it's still fun to poke at the closet Stands Lovers even today. AK making the NCAA's this weekend just eats them up. Q and some others were just spouting about Stands being in a 1-bid league and it being harder to get in the NCAA's now for Western Kentucky- yet here goes AK doing it in just 2 seasons in the same conference. It's always been about our fans and their craziness- not Stands

That makes more sense. I do agree with you that some of our fan base have this unrealistic view of our program under Rick. The way some talk about it him you would think we were a consistent second weekend tournament team and we dominated the SEC.

BiscuitEater
03-14-2022, 01:12 PM
we dominated the SEC.

We did 'dominate' the West. Had a winning % over EVERY east team except Ky and Florida!

PGHBulldogBG
03-14-2022, 01:22 PM
Stansbury put together some really talented teams and continued the positive direction our program was heading after Williams. Unfortunately he lost control of the team and has too many discipline problems to continue coaching here. I don?t understand why people either think he was terrible or the best coach ever. He was sandwiched in the middle between Williams who was great and Ray who was a bust. Howland was a good hire for our program in terms of getting it back on the train tracks after Stansburys last year and the Ray mess. Now it?s time to move on and get a high energy coach with a modern basketball philosophy to try and get close or possibly match Williams success. No point in continuously beating a dead horse. The same can be said for Mullen with the football program. He was leaving no matter what, we made a terrible hire with Moorhead and now we have to hope Leach can get us back to 8 win seasons and possibly a 10 or 11 win season once in awhile.

Coach34
03-14-2022, 01:35 PM
We did 'dominate' the West. Had a winning % over EVERY east team except Ky and Florida!

Need to check Tenn- I'm not sure by the end he had a winning record vs them. I know Pearl started spanking him

The problem was being tops in the SEC wasnt as big of a deal then as it is now. And Stands had an abysmal record vs P5 conference teams OOC.

Coach34
03-14-2022, 01:47 PM
I'm "crazy" now for pointing out that NCAA bids from 1-bid leagues are a crapshoot that entirely depend on one weekend and not the course of the season.

Was talking about the unhinged posters from back in the day that would lose their mind on Sixpack.

BrunswickDawg
03-14-2022, 02:03 PM
Need to check Tenn- I'm not sure by the end he had a winning record vs them. I know Pearl started spanking him

The problem was being tops in the SEC wasnt as big of a deal then as it is now. And Stands had an abysmal record vs P5 conference teams OOC.

Which he also rarely scheduled, and is why our SOS kept us on the bubble so much.

Coach34
03-14-2022, 02:07 PM
Which he also rarely scheduled, and is why our SOS kept us on the bubble so much.

Exactly. It's been awhile so I cant remember exactly one of the stats I used to hammer people with- but it was something like Stands was 5-22 vs ranked teams or RPI Top 25. Just something ugly against good teams

RezDog7
03-14-2022, 02:09 PM

It would put a final nail in the coffin of mens basketball apathy.

ImissCityBagel
03-14-2022, 02:29 PM
An unpopular opinion: right now is a bad time to fire Howland. I know we suck, but unless Cohen has a stud lined up for us, we are taking a big risk.

BrunswickDawg
03-14-2022, 02:32 PM
Exactly. It's been awhile so I cant remember exactly one of the stats I used to hammer people with- but it was something like Stands was 5-22 vs ranked teams or RPI Top 25. Just something ugly against good teams

Plus the typical inexplicable loss to Rider/East TN ST/Winthrop. Don't forget those.

PGHBulldogBG
03-14-2022, 02:35 PM
An unpopular opinion: right now is a bad time to fire Howland. I know we suck, but unless Cohen has a stud lined up for us, we are taking a big risk.

I completely agree. I would rather Howland stay 1 more year and be able to retire if it means lining up the right hire. If we have to go through another 7-11 or 8-10 SEC record and another NIT I would rather do that for 1 more year than have to deal with hiring another Rick Ray if it means we get a top coach.

mstatefan91
03-14-2022, 02:37 PM
I completely agree. I would rather Howland stay 1 more year and be able to retire if it means lining up the right hire. If we have to go through another 7-11 or 8-10 SEC record and another NIT I would rather do that for 1 more year than have to deal with hiring another Rick Ray if it means we get a top coach.

The problem with your logic is that you have zero guarantee that a better coach will be available next year and would want to come to Starkville. Also lost in this is that it is entirely possible that Howland is ready to leave.

Dawgology
03-14-2022, 02:37 PM
Rick Ray 2.0

mstatefan91
03-14-2022, 02:38 PM
Rick Ray 2.0

Why go with 2.0 when the original is available?

Coach34
03-14-2022, 02:43 PM

I dont know how true this is but rumors are encouraged:

Howland is gone and appears to have a new job lined up
We have our guy already and it will be announced in 10-14 days

msstate7
03-14-2022, 02:44 PM
I dont know how true this is but rumors are encouraged:

Howland is gone and appears to have a new job lined up
We have our guy already and it will be announced in 10-14 days

Stansbury coming home

Coach34
03-14-2022, 02:48 PM
Stansbury coming home