PDA

View Full Version : Deshaun Watson to saints or panthers?

msstate7
03-13-2022, 11:50 AM
https://nfltraderumors.co/saints-panthers-have-made-trade-offers-for-deshaun-watson-expected-to-meet-with-him/

I'd have to think Watson prefers saints. He has to approve

parabrave
03-13-2022, 11:55 AM
Hell no in New Orleans.

msstate7
03-13-2022, 11:57 AM
Hell no in New Orleans.

I want em. I like to win

ETA... he was cleared of all charges

parabrave
03-13-2022, 12:06 PM
I want em. I like to win

That ain't the problem

Leeshouldveflanked
03-13-2022, 12:14 PM
I just don?t think he is an Elite QB. Great Athlete doesnt necessarily mean great QB.

TheLostDawg
03-13-2022, 12:31 PM
I just don?t think he is an Elite QB. Great Athlete doesnt necessarily mean great QB.

Would you rather have him or crab legs.

msstate7
03-13-2022, 12:34 PM

I think he's outstanding. Despite being 4th in the nfl in 2020 in highest sack %, he was 2nd in nfl in passer rating,1st in yds/att, 4th in lowest int %, 10th in td%, and a great athlete.

Oh, and he did this without deandre Hopkins

trob115
03-13-2022, 12:42 PM
Aren't the saints in a mess with their cap? I would think it would make more sense to build their team through the drafts and get their cap space fixed. I don't think Watson is a great Qb, and I think crab legs could play decently.

msstate7
03-13-2022, 12:45 PM
Aren't the saints in a mess with their cap? I would think it would make more sense to build their team through the drafts and get their cap space fixed. I don't think Watson is a great Qb, and I think crab legs could play decently.

They've already went from 80 million over down to 10 with about 5 moves left to clear space while only cutting one guy, roby. Loomis is a salary cap wizard. Restructures and extensions. If the saints made the offer, and it's at the point of meeting with Watson, loomis has the money figured out

StarkVegasSteve
03-13-2022, 02:07 PM
Deshaun is an upgrade over Winston. If Mickey can make the deal then we need to strike on it.

vv83
03-13-2022, 02:09 PM

if you don't think he is an elite QB, you must not watch the NFL

EdwardDrayton
03-13-2022, 02:30 PM
So a team that picks up Watson decides that (1) we will enjoy his services until the outcome of the civil cases or (2) we don’t care about the outcome of the civil cases. Assuming the civil cases will be adjudicated as personal injury and he is found guilty, hard to imagine teams would retain him in the current culture. And remember, the burden of proof is much lower in the civil case. This kind of seeming inconsistency with these situations doesn’t reflect well on pro sports. How many of us in a similar situation would get hired.

vv83
03-13-2022, 02:35 PM
So a team that picks up Watson decides that (1) we will enjoy his services until the outcome of the civil cases or (2) we don’t care about the outcome of the civil cases. Assuming the civil cases will be adjudicated as personal injury and he is found guilty, hard to imagine teams would retain him in the current culture. And remember, the burden of proof is much lower in the civil case. This kind of seeming inconsistency with these situations doesn’t reflect well on pro sports. How many of us in a similar situation would get hired.
I think now that the criminal charges were dropped and teams are making serious offers, then the commish has privately let interested parties know what he will do. Gotta imagine he laid out a few scenarios and the worst one is something like a 6 game suspension... remember he can no longer be found guilty, only liable (unless new charges are filed of course, but seems unlikely at this point).

EdwardDrayton
03-13-2022, 02:52 PM
I think now that the criminal charges were dropped and teams are making serious offers, then the commish has privately let interested parties know what he will do. Gotta imagine he laid out a few scenarios and the worst one is something like a 6 game suspension... remember he can no longer be found guilty, only liable (unless new charges are filed of course, but seems unlikely at this point).

Semantically that’s true but his culpability will exist. He simply will recompense with his wallet rather than his incarceration. But that doesn’t change what he did if adjudicated so.

Leeshouldveflanked
03-13-2022, 02:58 PM
Would you rather have him or crab legs.
Neither. That roster is a mess. I dont think the circus that comes with Watson will help things.

msstate7
03-13-2022, 03:03 PM
Neither. That roster is a mess. I dont think the circus that comes with Watson will help things.

Roster is a mess? Lol, a top 5 defense, and getting a top 5 wr back this season. Saints dealt with biblical injuries and Covid this season, and they still only missed the playoffs by a tie breaker. That's with Trevor siemian starting 4 games and subbing in for injured starter in 2 more. Hell, Ian book had to start a game. Saints were 5-2 under Winston

somebodyshotmypaw
03-13-2022, 03:15 PM
if you don't think he is an elite QB, you must not watch the NFL

I watched it last season. How did he do?

EdwardDrayton
03-13-2022, 03:26 PM

Exactly. But maybe some teams feel they could win a Super Bowl with him before his legal situation gets red hot? So GMs now are Robert Johnson at the crossroads, maybe willing to sell their soul.

vv83
03-13-2022, 04:09 PM
I watched it last season. How did he do?

I can't tell if you're trolling or serious. You know he sat out last year, so what does this even mean?

vv83
03-13-2022, 04:10 PM
Roster is a mess? Lol, a top 5 defense, and getting a top 5 wr back this season. Saints dealt with biblical injuries and Covid this season, and they still only missed the playoffs by a tie breaker. That's with Trevor siemian starting 4 games and subbing in for injured starter in 2 more. Hell, Ian book had to start a game. Saints were 5-2 under Winston

Top 5 defense yes, top 5 WR tho? Who?

msstate7
03-13-2022, 04:12 PM
Top 5 defense yes, top 5 WR tho? Who?

Thomas

Now, I will concede he hasn't been that the last 2 years, but it was strictly health. When he was healthy in 2018 and 2019, he caught a combined 274 passes. He got hurt in the first game of 2020 vs bucs, and he hasn't been fully healthy since. Word is though that his recovery is finally where it should be, and he's expected to be 100%

somebodyshotmypaw
03-13-2022, 04:12 PM
I can't tell if you're trolling or serious. You know he sat out last year, so what does this even mean?

I do know he sat out. You said he was elite. The best ability is availability. You don’t win many games when your elite players can’t or won’t play. You have to stay healthy and stay out of trouble. Being elite means staying out of trouble where you can show up and help your team win on Sunday.

BiscuitEater
03-13-2022, 04:14 PM
I want em. I like to win

NOPE, really big difference between 'cleared of charges' and Grand Jury 'didn't' indict!

22 different women with 'same' story! Big cloud!

vv83
03-13-2022, 04:30 PM
I do know he sat out. You said he was elite. The best ability is availability. You don?t win many games when your elite players can?t or won?t play. You have to stay healthy and stay out of trouble. Being elite means staying out of trouble where you can show up and help your team win on Sunday.

Yeah I don't buy this at all. Sounds good teaching kids that in grade school, but not realistic or the real world. He sat out last year demanding a trade then all the allegations came out. He will, by all indications, be elite for the team he plays for this year.

Cooterpoot
03-13-2022, 06:06 PM
How can the Saints afford him? Who are they cutting loose?

msstate7
03-13-2022, 06:21 PM
How can the Saints afford him? Who are they cutting loose?

Roby will be cut, which gets saints under cap.

Armstead and Marcus Williams may or may not be signed.

Taysom hill and Malcom Jenkins' contracts will be restructured/paid a bonus to create space.

somebodyshotmypaw
03-13-2022, 07:17 PM
Yeah I don't buy this at all. Sounds good teaching kids that in grade school, but not realistic or the real world. He sat out last year demanding a trade then all the allegations came out. He will, by all indications, be elite for the team he plays for this year.

Okay. So tell me how elite he was for the Texans in the 2021 season. How many games did he help them win? I’ll hang up and listen. Since you want to be realistic and talk about the real world.

msstate7
03-13-2022, 10:38 PM
https://i.postimg.cc/KvnM1cW4/8-E59-FDC7-D65-F-4188-AE3-D-D4-C9651-B9755.jpg (https://postimg.cc/HVkxKmdC)
https://twitter.com/allbrightnfl/status/1503205585608536065?s=21

msstate7
03-17-2022, 08:51 AM
Saints now 29.6 million under the cap. Marcus Williams left, but saints signed Marcus maye as his replacement. Armstead is a FA and waiting to see what Watson does. So, saints went from 80 million over to 29.6 under while keeping the team pretty much intact. If Watson comes, I expect an extension soon after which frees up more money. Saints will then grab a wr or 2

klong-dog
03-17-2022, 08:58 AM
LFG!! Man I hope we get him

Commercecomet24
03-18-2022, 02:59 PM
Watson to the Browns. Saints gonna have to roll with someone else.

5 years 230 million. Waived no trade clause.

msstate7
03-18-2022, 03:12 PM
Thought it was 5-years 240 million, 46 per.

Holy crap, they can have him. I'd flip out if the saints paid him that.

Baker or Winston is my prediction, and I'm fine with either

ETA... 230 is correct, and 46 per is too. Wow at the browns

Commercecomet24
03-18-2022, 03:17 PM

I'm not a saints fan but you're right he ain't worth that. Browns must be in desperation mode. That's a crazy contract.

CadaverDawg
03-18-2022, 03:21 PM
I'm not a Baker believer, but he would be a much better option than Crabz Winston. That dude sucks

msstate7
03-18-2022, 03:25 PM
I'm not a Baker believer, but he would be a much better option than Crabz Winston. That dude sucks

I don't know about that. If he had played enough to qualify last year, he'd have been top in passer rating and QBR. Could've been SSS, but he was good

Vandownbytheriver
03-18-2022, 07:48 PM
I'm not a saints fan but you're right he ain't worth that. Browns must be in desperation mode. That's a crazy contract.

The new GM is coming in and trying to change the old school Browns thinking. Part of me is excited and part of me is kind of pissed he's let Jarvis and Baker go for Watson and Cooper. Cautiously optimistic.

msstate7
03-18-2022, 07:51 PM
The new GM is coming in and trying to change the old school Browns thinking. Part of me is excited and part of me is kind of pissed he's let Jarvis and Baker go for Watson and Cooper. Cautiously optimistic.

Oh, you'll be really good for at least 2 years. You have a good team. I don't know how you sustain it with that contract though

Commercecomet24
03-18-2022, 08:59 PM
Oh, you'll be really good for at least 2 years. You have a good team. I don't know how you sustain it with that contract though

Yeah short term probably good long term not so much. Huge chunk tied up in one player

parabrave
03-19-2022, 10:14 AM

And gave up 3 1st round picks. Dam Jerry Jones wouldn't even make that trade. Who is the GM for the Browns, Mike Dikta?