PDA

View Full Version : Women's Basketball Coach Named

SailingDawg
03-12-2022, 01:14 PM
Sam Purcell

Announcement (https://hailstate.com/news/2022/3/12/womens-basketball-mississippi-state-names-sam-purcell-head-womens-basketball-coach.aspx)

CadaverDawg
03-12-2022, 01:20 PM
May be wrong, but I feel like this could be a good hire. Wish we'd go a similar route in football and men's hoops....up and comer with great work ethic, strong recruiting, and something to prove. May not work out, but to me it's better than hiring a has been whose ceiling is well defined before he arrives

Eric Nies Grind Time
03-12-2022, 01:25 PM
Has a pretty impressive resume. I like the hire.

Thick
That?s a good hire!

SailingDawg
May be wrong, but I feel like this could be a good hire. Wish we'd go a similar route in football and men's hoops....up and comer with great work ethic, strong recruiting, and something to prove. May not work out, but to me it's better than hiring a has been whose ceiling is well defined before he arrives

An up and comer was basically who Dan Mullen was and we had the best ten year stretch in the history of MSU football.

Cooterpoot
03-12-2022, 01:27 PM
We hired a recruiter. No HV experience and not even the top Asst. On that staff.

AROB44
03-12-2022, 01:27 PM
Still would have liked to see Novak get the opportunity. Wonder how many transfers out we will have.

Bothrops
03-12-2022, 01:34 PM
Seems like a good hire and I'm behind it. Trying to be positive, so don't tempt me.

Thick
03-12-2022, 01:35 PM
According to his bio, he was instrumental in developing the UL offense with emphasis in guard play. If anything it sounds like great potential based off of who he?s coached under as well. At the end of the day, it?s women?s bball.

TheLostDawg
03-12-2022, 01:36 PM
We hired a recruiter. No HV experience and not even the top Asst. On that staff.

Yes the Mullen comparison didn't fit. Mullen ran the offense at Florida, was not known and later proved not to be a great recruiter

parabrave
03-12-2022, 01:36 PM
What time Monday is the hastily called news conference for the MBB.

TheLostDawg
03-12-2022, 01:43 PM
According to his bio, he was instrumental in developing the UL offense with emphasis in guard play. If anything it sounds like great potential based off of who he?s coached under as well. At the end of the day, it?s women?s bball.

Yes and now we can focus on the men's

NCMSTFAN
03-12-2022, 01:48 PM
I'm not excited about this hire... Novak deserved the job in my opionion. Hope Purcell proves wrong. From the little research I've done he is apparently a great recruiter. He better start re-recruiting Danae Carter, Jessika Carter, the Michigan State transfer and Jerkaila Jordan really quick because that's the backbone of our team

Ari Gold
03-12-2022, 01:49 PM

Correct

KOdawg1
03-12-2022, 01:56 PM
I'm down with it

R2Dawg
03-12-2022, 02:25 PM

Wasn't he an associate HC? Looks like a solid hire. Will he be Mullen or Moorhead?

basedog
03-12-2022, 02:27 PM
Like many have said "it's only women's basketball", so I guess I will wait and see, I have only been to one women's game since Msu started a girl's team and that was during one of Vic's great runs.

I do hate it for Novak who I grew to really like, I wish him well, hard worker.

maroonmania
03-12-2022, 02:31 PM
Big gamble on someone that has never led a program but hope it works out. Was hoping for Novak because we at least knew he could coach and motivate even against the odds in the fire of actual SEC games. Can only hope that this "good on paper" hire works better than Moorhead or NMP. His first recruiting job is trying to keep some current players so he doesn't have to replace the entire roster.

Saltydog
03-12-2022, 02:53 PM
Ok, not too bad, at least on paper. We shall see how it plays out. The last "great recruiter" Cohen hired was for shit. Oh yeah, drop the bow tie. Too reminiscent of our friends to the north.

preachermatt83
03-12-2022, 02:56 PM
Novak deserved the job

NCMSTFAN
03-12-2022, 02:59 PM
Novak deserved the job

I agree... But I'll still wait and see what Purcell can do before I pass any judgment

Quaoarsking
03-12-2022, 03:01 PM
Novak deserved the job

I am officially recanting all previous statements I've made along these lines and getting behind Coach Purcell 100%.

TALL DAWG
03-12-2022, 03:27 PM
Novak deserved the job

Novak had never coached a basketball team before becoming the interim coach for us. Someone in this thread said today?s hire was a big gamble as he?s never coached a team before. Well, he?s been an assistant for what 8-9 yrs with Ville? Does that not count as coaching?
Good grief!

Let Novak stay on as one of the assistants.
He appears to be the type of personality who would be ok with that in this case.

NCMSTFAN
03-12-2022, 03:31 PM
Novak had never coached a basketball team before becoming the interim coach for us. Someone in this thread said today?s hire was a big gamble as he?s never coached a team before. Well, he?s been an assistant for what 8-9 yrs with Ville? Does that not count as coaching?
Good grief!

He appears to be the type of personality who would be ok with that in this case.

Novak coached alot of basketball teams, this was his 1st time coaching women's basketball

Percho
03-12-2022, 03:51 PM
Still would have liked to see Novak get the opportunity. Wonder how many transfers out we will have.

That will be his first recruiting job. The present team. I wanted Novak also but am happy with this hire.

On the men's side I would not be unhappy with hiring the coach at Sanford.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUoR-kkK0Ls&ab_channel=ScoutingReportTVTimothyGray

CadaverDawg
03-12-2022, 04:18 PM
Ok, let's stop the political shit and talk about the hire.

I encourage every one of you to go to the announcement tweet from the women's hoops Twitter account, and read the Quoted tweets....this dude is loved by EVERYONE. All the UL players commenting, AAU coaches commenting, colleagues and former colleagues, ESPN analysts like Holly Rowe, everybody is raving about the guy. I think this might be a great hire. We'll know soon enough

was21
03-12-2022, 04:23 PM
He was a damn good recruiter for State, maybe not for Florida

maroonmania
03-12-2022, 04:53 PM
Good grief!

If referring to my post I said he had never led a program, so no, being an assistant doesn't count for being a head coach. As of now Novak has more women's HC experience than Purcell does. I certainly hope this hire is successful for us though. Only time will tell.

SailingDawg
03-12-2022, 05:22 PM
Vic is 24-6 at Texas this year.

ScoobaDawg
03-12-2022, 07:08 PM
We hired what looks to be a good hire. Let's all get behind him and get the program turned around.

And I don't enjoy deleting 44 posts but this needed to be cleaned up so we can discuss our new coach.

Pancho
03-12-2022, 07:12 PM
Amen to that.

Hambone
03-12-2022, 07:48 PM
Thank you Scooba.

This guy is energetic, no doubt about that.

EdwardDrayton
03-12-2022, 08:29 PM
We’ll see but didn’t expect much more from a baseball AD.

schddog72
03-12-2022, 09:53 PM
Let Novak stay on as one of the assistants

This could NEVER, EVER work!! It would be so awkward for all parties as to be totally unworkable. Just coach Novak's presence would totally undercut the new coach's position as well as the players feel totally awkward. They wouldn't be able to figure out who to listen to.

EdwardDrayton
03-12-2022, 10:49 PM
Job Description

Mississippi State Interim Coach
……………

Section XVI. Upon assumption of the position, your remaining university tenure is guaranteed to be not less than 90 days but under no circumstances will exceed 150 days.

Percho
03-13-2022, 09:50 PM
https://twitter.com/hailstatewbk/status/1502719626219859985?s=21

captaindog
03-13-2022, 10:22 PM
This could NEVER, EVER work!! It would be so awkward for all parties as to be totally unworkable. Just coach Novak's presence would totally undercut the new coach's position as well as the players feel totally awkward. They wouldn't be able to figure out who to listen to.
I?m in agreement that Coach Novak shouldn?t be forced on Coach Purcell as an assistant and obviously that is not going to be the case. However if Coach Purcell wants him then based on Coach Novak?s personality I?d think it could work. However I don?t see that happening. I also generally share your concerns.

CaptainObvious
03-14-2022, 12:04 AM
Vic is 24-6 at Texas this year.

Vic is now 26-6 after cutting down the nets in Big 12 Championship Game against Baylor. Texas is a 2 seed in NCAA. Matharu averages about 8 minutes a game at Texas after being a Starter at MSU.

BeardoMSU
03-14-2022, 12:18 AM
https://twitter.com/hailstatewbk/status/1502719626219859985?s=21

I like this guy. Beautiful family too.

Cooterpoot
03-14-2022, 02:27 AM
He's the anti-Novak at this point. Proven recruiter with no coaching experience. I've already said it, but once Smesko said no, we really had nobody else so we went with the best recruiter from a proven program basically. He'll get players. If he can coach and hire good coaches things will be good.

OLJWales
03-14-2022, 06:38 AM
Sports God will punish.

jdelta02
03-14-2022, 05:18 PM
Former McDonald's All-American Angel Jackson transferring to Jackson State women's basketball. Also, they have recently picked up #1 football recruit Travis Hunter and several other top recruits and transfers. Additionally, they recently hired former University Of Alabama basketball standout and NBA all-star Mo Williams as head men's basketball coach. Potential for Williams to attract and bring in top talent to Jackson State as well. A lot going on there since the arrival of Deon Sanders. Still, I don't feel that it's all (but a good bit) about Deon Sanders....credit the athletic director, also, overall HBCU's are presently trending as well.

As for Miss. State women's basketball, appears John Cohen has brought in a top level prospect of a head coach and recruiter in former Louisville assistant Sam Purcell. Cohen has gotten a lot of criticism for some of head coaching hires at Miss. State, but hard to criticize him on the Purcell decision.

basedog
03-14-2022, 05:56 PM
He's the anti-Novak at this point. Proven recruiter with no coaching experience. I've already said it, but once Smesko said no, we really had nobody else so we went with the best recruiter from a proven program basically. He'll get players. If he can coach and hire good coaches things will be good.

Pretty easy to recruit while being at one of the top programs in the country. Time will tell about his ability. I?m pulling for him.

TheLostDawg
03-14-2022, 06:05 PM
Ok, let's stop the political shit and talk about the hire.

I encourage every one of you to go to the announcement tweet from the women's hoops Twitter account, and read the Quoted tweets....this dude is loved by EVERYONE. All the UL players commenting, AAU coaches commenting, colleagues and former colleagues, ESPN analysts like Holly Rowe, everybody is raving about the guy. I think this might be a great hire. We'll know soon enough

So much for men's basketball if we don't make a good hire there

TheLostDawg
03-14-2022, 06:13 PM
Former McDonald's All-American Angel Jackson transferring to Jackson State women's basketball. Also, they have recently picked up #1 football recruit Travis Hunter, and several other top recruits and transfers. Additionally, they recently hired former University Of Alabama basketball standout and NBA all-star Mo Williams as head men's basketball coach. Potential for Williams to attract and bring in top talent to Jackson State as well. A lot going on there since the arrival of Deon Sanders. Still, I don't feel that it's all (but a good bit) about Deon Sanders....credit the athletic director, also, overall HBCU's are presently trending as well.

As for Miss. State women's basketball, appears John Cohen has brought in a top level prospect of a head coach and recruiter in former Louisville assistant Sam Purcell. Cohen has gotten a lot of criticism for some of head coaching hires at Miss. State, but hard to criticize him on the Purcell decision.

So was Moorhead, in a lot of ways, and NMP. We'll see how this works out. Obviously everyone will be pulling for him.

maroonmania
03-14-2022, 07:29 PM
So was Moorhead, in a lot of ways, and NMP. We'll see how this works out. Obviously everyone will be pulling for him.

Definitely pulling for him and not to beat a dead horse but Novak had already shown he could coach a team up to compete even when he was outclassed in talent. My thought was what could he do if he did get a full roster more on equal footing with other SEC teams? Have no clue how Purcell will do.in coaching and like you said, he has been recruiting at a pretty high profile program.