PDA

View Full Version : Matt McMahon

msstate7
03-12-2022, 07:21 AM
Are we sure about this guy? Murray state was good when he got there. He hasn't driven it off the rails though.

Steve prohm was 104-29 at Murray state, and he was 97-95 at Iowa st before being fired last year.

Matt McMahon is 153-66 at Murray st, so outstanding record.

Ifyouonlyknew
03-12-2022, 11:01 AM
Let’s not act like coaches don’t inherit good situations & run them in the ground pretty regularly.

Tripp McNeely
03-12-2022, 11:36 AM
Let’s not act like coaches don’t inherit good situations & run them in the ground pretty regularly.

Cough...Joe Moorehead....cough

HoopsDawg
03-12-2022, 12:03 PM
I'm definitely not sure. Everyone wins at Murray State.

smootness
03-12-2022, 12:17 PM

Yeah, but there are certain places that seem to run themselves, and every coach they have looks great there, only to have mixed track records elsewhere. Xavier is another example - Sean Miller, Thad Matta, Skip Prosser, all very good coaches, and then Chris Mack had just as much success at Xavier, only to derail Lousville. Butler is another - Todd Lickliter looked awesome there and bombed at Iowa, Brad Stevens was great, Holtmann has been...fine...at Ohio State.

I'm not saying McMahon isn't worth taking a shot on, he may be. Prohm just bombed, Billy Kennedy was alright at A&M but got fired after 8 years.

We should be asking why certain programs have every one of their coaches become a hot name and get hired by a big program. Either they're just insanely lucky in hiring, or they're just machines at that level.

Ifyouonlyknew
03-12-2022, 12:54 PM
Yeah, but there are certain places that seem to run themselves, and every coach they have looks great there, only to have mixed track records elsewhere. Xavier is another example - Sean Miller, Thad Matta, Skip Prosser, all very good coaches, and then Chris Mack had just as much success at Xavier, only to derail Lousville. Butler is another - Todd Lickliter looked awesome there and bombed at Iowa, Brad Stevens was great, Holtmann has been...fine...at Ohio State.

I'm not saying McMahon isn't worth taking a shot on, he may be. Prohm just bombed, Billy Kennedy was alright at A&M but got fired after 8 years.

We should be asking why certain programs have every one of their coaches become a hot name and get hired by a big program. Either they're just insanely lucky in hiring, or they're just machines at that level.

Let’s look at some previous Murray St coaches

Mark Gotfried - 5 NCAA appearances 3 NIT appearances in 11 seasons at Alabama. 4 NCAA appearances in 6 seasons at NC St

Mick Cronin - 9 NCAA appearances 1 NIT appearance 1 CBI appearance in 13 seasons at Cinci. 2 NCAA appearances 1 tourney cancelled in 3 seasons at UCLA.

Billy Kennedy - 2 NCAA appearances 1 NIT appearance 1 CBI in 8 seasons at A&M.

Steve Prohm - 3 NCAA appearances in 6 season at Iowa St.

So if we can get the avg results of those last 4 coaches that moved on to bigger jobs from Murray St. I think we’d all be satisfied.

In 47 seasons we’re talking 25 NCAA Tourney appearances 5 NIT appearances 2 CBI appearances.

Am I wrong?

SteelCurtain74
03-12-2022, 12:56 PM
I don't know if he's the guy or not but I did some looking at Murray St.'s current roster. This year's team only has 2 seniors and it looks like he recruits regionally.

He has a couple of guys from MS, one from New Orleans and a couple from Little Rock. The rest are from KY, AL, NC, Florida and AK.

The leading scorer, KJ Williams, is from Cleveland MS. He leads the team in scoring and rebounds and is a junior. It would be good to have him follow his coach.

If he ends up being the pick, it would seem he would be able to draw players in from a wide area.

https://goracers.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster

smootness
03-12-2022, 01:09 PM
Let’s look at some previous Murray St coaches

Mark Gotfried - 5 NCAA appearances 3 NIT appearances in 11 seasons at Alabama. 4 NCAA appearances in 6 seasons at NC St

Mick Cronin - 9 NCAA appearances 1 NIT appearance 1 CBI appearance in 13 seasons at Cinci. 2 NCAA appearances 1 tourney cancelled in 3 seasons at UCLA.

Billy Kennedy - 2 NCAA appearances 1 NIT appearance 1 CBI in 8 seasons at A&M.

Steve Prohm - 3 NCAA appearances in 6 season at Iowa St.

So if we can get the avg results of those last 4 coaches that moved on to bigger jobs from Murray St. I think we’d all be satisfied.

In 47 seasons we’re talking 25 NCAA Tourney appearances 5 NIT appearances 2 CBI appearances.

Am I wrong?

Gottfried has to be considered a success, although that's funny because in a lot of ways the name Mark Gottfried feels like mediocrity. A coach like him at State in the SEC right now probably does about what Howland is doing.

Cronin has done very well...although he's been at Cincy and UCLA. Far better programs than State.

Kennedy was meh and we would not be at all happy with what he did at A&M.

Prohm took over at a program that had been to 4 straight Tourneys, including a Sweet 16, and went to 3 in his first 4 years before utterly derailing and winning 0 Big 12 games his last year. Ze. Ro. At State right now, he would be a disaster and likely wouldn't make a tournament.

Ari Gold
03-12-2022, 01:14 PM
Players look at 2 things , outside of money,
Can you get me to the league
And who has he gotten to the league

Ja Morant pretty good notch in his belt

calidawg
03-12-2022, 01:14 PM
There is a graveyard of hot commodity mid major coaches who failed out in P5. There's also some who have had success. It's all a crapshoot.

calidawg
03-12-2022, 01:20 PM
Players look at 2 things , outside of money,
Can you get me to the league
And who has he gotten to the league

Ja Morant pretty good notch in his belt

Morant is the thing about McMahon. Ja is a superstar. He can just walk into recruits homes with a t shirt with Ja face on it and have instant credibility.

Commercecomet24
03-12-2022, 01:38 PM

Yep every single day.