PDA

View Full Version : LSU ace pitcher out for season

Santiago
03-11-2022, 10:57 PM
Their pitcher, named Money, is seemingly out for the season.
Several teams have lost their best pitchers this season.

Commercecomet24
03-11-2022, 11:00 PM
Yeah Texas too. Wild year.

Homedawg
03-11-2022, 11:17 PM
Nature of how baseball is played these days. Maximum velo. Fix it. Move on.

Activated Alpha
03-11-2022, 11:21 PM
Wonder how long it'll be before OM feels the sting of losing another pitcher...

AlSwearengen
03-11-2022, 11:24 PM
Wonder how long it'll be before OM feels the sting of losing another pitcher...

Nah. They will probably benefit from all of this.

The Federalist Engineer
03-11-2022, 11:25 PM
Money was good against MSU last year. 6 foot 7 giant.

Quality depth is a must have to compete for the big prizes

Tater
03-11-2022, 11:30 PM
This is why I'll trust the staff that pulled a guy throwing a nono in the championship game. Managed arms well last year and treated the kids with their best interests in mind.

BeardoMSU
03-11-2022, 11:40 PM
This is why I'll trust the staff that pulled a guy throwing a nono in the championship game. Managed arms well last year and treated the kids with their best interests in mind.

Yes.

Commercecomet24
03-11-2022, 11:44 PM
Nature of how baseball is played these days. Maximum velo. Fix it. Move on.

Yep.

Commercecomet24
03-11-2022, 11:45 PM

Agreed. Lemonis and Foxhall do a great job with managing our arms.

Todd4State
03-12-2022, 12:23 AM
I think we're seeing this because pitchers are being trained to throw so hard nowadays and their bodies simply can't handle it.

Back around the early 2000's I'd bet the typical SEC pitcher threw 88-90. Now it's probably 92-93 for the average ones. Heck- Tennessee has that guy that hits triple digits. You used to never see anyone like that in college. And some of these guys are like 6'1" 215 or something and not really that big like 6'5" 240 or something like that in a lot of cases.

It seems like every time we get a commitment from a high school player they're topping out at 92-94. That's what these kids have to do to play in the SEC nowadays.

Homedawg
03-12-2022, 12:28 AM
I think we're seeing this because pitchers are being trained to throw so hard nowadays and their bodies simply can't handle it.

Back around the early 2000's I'd bet the typical SEC pitcher threw 88-90. Now it's probably 92-93 for the average ones. Heck- Tennessee has that guy that hits triple digits. You used to never see anyone like that in college. And some of these guys are like 6'1" 215 or something and not really that big like 6'5" 240 or something like that in a lot of cases.

It seems like every time we get a commitment from a high school player they're topping out at 92-94. That's what these kids have to do to play in the SEC nowadays.

Good points... back in the late 80's if you threw 88 from the right side you were a d1 prospect. Today if you throw 88 with movement from the right side you are a watch and follow guy.

RougeDawg
03-12-2022, 01:15 AM
Yeah Texas too. Wild year.

Since you are more closely connected to current events of youth baseball, do you think this is a travel ball unintended consequence? When I played the pitchers didn?t have these injuries as often. But we all played 2-3 other sports and had a rest period. I played college with a dude that threw 95 and played in the Bigs 8-10 years. But we didn?t have travel baseball. I played select soccer until 9th grade and then everything else took over.

I can?t imagine playing ?select? travel baseball and the toll that would take on a pitchers arm, during development stages. At some point we have to reign in the gung ho parents and travel ball shit. Throwing a baseball puts much more stress on your body than shooting a basketball or running around playing soccer. We’ve got to stop letting these parents try to live out their childhood dreams vicariously through their gifted children. It?s hurting them long term.

Maybe I?m wrong but that?s the difference I see in now and 20 years ago.

Cooterpoot
03-12-2022, 04:30 AM
Since you are more closely connected to current events of youth baseball, do you think this is a travel ball unintended consequence? When I played the pitchers didn?t have these injuries as often. But we all played 2-3 other sports and had a rest period. I played college with a dude that threw 95 and played in the Bigs 8-10 years. But we didn?t have travel baseball. I played select soccer until 9th grade and then everything else took over.

I can?t imagine playing ?select? travel baseball and the toll that would take on a pitchers arm, during development stages. At some point we have to reign in the gung ho parents and travel ball shit. Throwing a baseball puts much more stress on your body than shooting a basketball or running around playing soccer. We?ve got to stop letting these parents try to live out their childhood dreams vicariously through their gifted children. It?s hurting them long term.

People keep blaming travel ball and they're wrong the majority of the time. Most of these P5 guys play for good coaches/organizations. Most have parents that limit their innings. Now lesser guys, throwing multiple times on a weekend of daddy ball, sure. But those aren't your top talent guys generally unless they come from Juco and even then, their Juco coach isn't going to destroy their arms with crazy innings much. Todd is right, it's all the velo training. It's also the fact closers used to be the only guys (for the most part), throwing mid to upper nineties. They didn't throw as many innings with that velo. They also didn't throw 3 pitches & have to set up every pitch with another pitch. They came at you, and got done one way or another.

AlSwearengen
03-12-2022, 07:59 AM
Good points... back in the late 80's if you threw 88 from the right side you were a d1 prospect. Today if you throw 88 with movement from the right side you are a watch and follow guy.

You only make the watch and follow list if you are at 88 going into your 10 grade year. Ha. It really is amazing how things have changed in 20 years.

Tater
03-12-2022, 10:39 AM
Yea it's simple. We've found the upper bound that most arms / muscles / ligaments can take with regards to velocity and how forceful of stress they can take. It's not death by a thousand paper cuts. It's death by a hundred sandpaper cuts.

basedog
03-12-2022, 11:57 AM
Love what Foxhall told Cade last year when he was hurt. Told him to stop thinking he is 6'5" 240 lbs and trying to throw upper 90's. Good advice, just be yourself.

Todd4State
03-12-2022, 02:22 PM
People keep blaming travel ball and they're wrong the majority of the time. Most of these P5 guys play for good coaches/organizations. Most have parents that limit their innings. Now lesser guys, throwing multiple times on a weekend of daddy ball, sure. But those aren't your top talent guys generally unless they come from Juco and even then, their Juco coach isn't going to destroy their arms with crazy innings much. Todd is right, it's all the velo training. It's also the fact closers used to be the only guys (for the most part), throwing mid to upper nineties. They didn't throw as many innings with that velo. They also didn't throw 3 pitches & have to set up every pitch with another pitch. They came at you, and got done one way or another.

Yeah. There are a lot of rules with travel ball and pitch counts and things like that. Plus people need to remember that in today's environment a lot of these travel teams don't just have the one D1/SEC/draft prospect guy where they have to ride one guy the whole time.

Not saying abuse doesn't happen but it's a lot better than it was.

Todd4State
03-12-2022, 02:26 PM
JT Ginn is a good example here. He was heavily monitored in high school and college. And if I remember correctly he was topping out at 100 MPH on some YouTube videos. But he's like 6'0" 200 maybe. That's because of his private training. You see it all over social media guys with these trainers throwing in the high 90's filming it and putting it on Twitter. I remember Landon Sims putting out a video of his training when he was in college.

confucius say
03-12-2022, 03:42 PM
Have y'all noticed we are throwing our starters more pitches early in the year this season than last year? Don't love it. But I'll defer

AlSwearengen
03-12-2022, 03:57 PM
Have y'all noticed we are throwing our starters more pitches early in the year this season than last year? Don't love it. But I'll defer

Yep. We don’t have near as many effective pitchers as last year though. I don’t see us making a deep run though so I doubt we live to see the effects.

Commercecomet24
03-12-2022, 05:21 PM

I can?t imagine playing ?select? travel baseball and the toll that would take on a pitchers arm, during development stages. At some point we have to reign in the gung ho parents and travel ball shit. Throwing a baseball puts much more stress on your body than shooting a basketball or running around playing soccer. We’ve got to stop letting these parents try to live out their childhood dreams vicariously through their gifted children. It?s hurting them long term.

Playing to much baseball is partly to blame but the big problem is the velo training to throw 95+. Human body wasn't made to do that and guys are throwing harder earlier which obviously taxes the body much sooner than it used too. And while travel ball isn't necessarily to blame the fact these kids(even the elite kids) are throwing harder and more than kids from my generation definitely takes it toll in arms. Even players whose innings and pitch counts are monitored now are throwing more innings and at higher velocity than when i was growing up. It's a combination of the 2 in most cases. Dr Andrews Will tell you it's the increase of year around baseball that's taking a toll along with the higher velos and he knows more than
any of us on this subject.

SilentSteel16
03-12-2022, 05:22 PM
Well all I can say is that 10 years ago it was not uncommon to see a kid with draft potential to get pushed back because there was scar tissue and diables on his ligaments even though he “never had arm issues before.” A lot of kids are still growing and having these problems and it gets attributed to growing pains. When in actuality it is small tears. It is very standard to get complete MRI scans done by a third party for MLB draft teams. As a matter of fact, this was a Kimar Rocker deal where he did not want to cooperate with the scan.

The only way for scar tissue to develop is over a 1 year span and these kids were 18 that I knew of. So do the math on when those arms were being overworked…. Yes, there are very good travel teams out there that do manage their players very well, but for every one of those teams there are 3 others trying to become that team and players be damned.

Commercecomet24
03-12-2022, 05:31 PM
Well all I can say is that 10 years ago it was not uncommon to see a kid with draft potential to get pushed back because there was scar tissue and diables on his ligaments even though he ?never had arm issues before.? A lot of kids are still growing and having these problems and it gets attributed to growing pains. When in actuality it is small tears. It is very standard to get complete MRI scans done by a third party for MLB draft teams. As a matter of fact, this was a Kimar Rocker deal where he did not want to cooperate with the scan.

The only way for scar tissue to develop is over a 1 year span and these kids were 18 that I knew of. So do the math on when those arms were being overworked?. Yes, there are very good travel teams out there that do manage their players very well, but for every one of those teams there are 3 others trying to become that team and players be damned.

Right, Also a lot of these folks don't really start monitoring their pitch counts and innings until they become "prospects" around 15 years of age. Before that though, from ages 10-14 a lot of these kids are playing year around. I've seen to much of it happen. A lot of wear and tear can happen on an arm during those years.

basedog
03-12-2022, 06:34 PM
Right, Also a lot of these folks don't really start monitoring their pitch counts and innings until they become "prospects" around 15 years of age. Before that though, from ages 10-14 a lot of these kids are playing year around. I've seen to much of it happen. A lot of wear and tear can happen on an arm during those years.

I played all sports, no way I could have played just one sport. I had talent in all, is that bragging? LOL

Tater
03-12-2022, 06:37 PM

My father was always one to stop kids from throwing curveballs in youth ball. Felt that messed with your development. You could always learn the arm action at 16 or older once you've developed. Fastball / change up only.

Good man and lots loved his coaching styles. Needed more people with foresight coaching children at this age but unfortunately the ones with time are the ones that need to live vicariously and win that league championship they didn't as a kid.

Commercecomet24
03-12-2022, 06:41 PM
I played all sports, no way I could have played just one sport. I had talent in all, is that bragging? LOL

It's not bragging if you back it up! I played em all too but only had any real talent in baseball, although I was pretty good at catching a football lol.

Commercecomet24
03-12-2022, 06:47 PM
My father was always one to stop kids from throwing curveballs in youth ball. Felt that messed with your development. You could always learn the arm action at 16 or older once you've developed. Fastball / change up only.

Good man and lots loved his coaching styles. Needed more people with foresight coaching children at this age but unfortunately the ones with time are the ones that need to live vicariously and win that league championship they didn't as a kid.

Your dad was a Smart man! I taught my pitchers how to locate fb first, in out up down. If you can learn to locate your fastball you can do pretty much anything you want. Locating your fastball is a must if you're gonna be a successful pitcher at any level. After that work in change up and you can do well. Plenty of time to learn breaking ball later

basedog
03-12-2022, 06:56 PM
It's not bragging if you back it up! I played em all too but only had any real talent in baseball, although I was pretty good at catching a football lol.

My Dad burned me out in baseball, I made all stars pretty much every year, we could only play one sport in high school. Coaches told me I was running track, LOL. My mother wanted me to quit football and just play basketball, should have listened to her as I had 2 knee surgeries, broke arm, broke collarbone, and broke cheek bone. I actually loved basketball the most and ended up Coaching.

Kingbarkus
03-12-2022, 10:04 PM
Where did you see Money is out for the year? I?m in New Orleans and there is no word of that. The coach said it was no big deal (injury).