PDA

View Full Version : OT: Daughter wants to be a nurse, but also wants to go to State

gtowndawg
03-11-2022, 10:29 AM
My daughter is a sophomore in high school. She loves State and it seems like half of her school here in Memphis ends up at State so she would have plenty of friends. Obviously I'd love her there.

BUT she has always wanted to be a NICU nurse. I know State doesn't have nursing, but the school says they have students that come to State and do their first 2 years then transfer to a nursing school. They will even look at the school you transfer to and make sure all the classes you take at State will transfer.

They also have this silly deal with the W where they partner but if I understand correctly, it actually ends up taking 5 years to do that (plus it's just inconvenient).

Anyone have a daughter that's been down this path?

Is there another degree in the health science field State does offer that's a promising career? Any advice appreciated.

StarkVegasSteve
03-11-2022, 10:44 AM
A lot of the people I knew at State did either 3 or 4 years at State and then either went to UMMC or to the W. So it is a lot more common than you might think. You could bust your ass and be done in 2, but most want the full college experience and stay 3 or 4 years then transfer. None of the people I knew ever had a problem getting in to either nursing school.

Coach34
03-11-2022, 10:49 AM
Wonder why it takes 3 years? My younger daughter is doing 2 years at another school and then UMC for 2

basedog
03-11-2022, 11:03 AM
Had same situation with my youngest daughter. But she went to OM to visit as we had taken her to several other schools and they convinced her they could help. They lied and I tried to explain to her they had no connections. She loved Oxford, went there two years and ended up last two years at Hinds to get her degree. She is working at Baptist in ICU but works for Select. Things worked out for her.
Btw she asked was I gonna be mad when she " committed to Ole Dixie". I told her no MSU was my school and she had to choose. I still dislike the Old Dixie school! LOL.

Johnson85
03-11-2022, 11:08 AM
Did Ole Miss ever add the option of getting a nursing degree in Oxford? I know they had floated the idea at one point. There was concern that Jackson had gotten so bad that it was hurting the nursing school. Not sure if it ever got up and running though.

Coach34
03-11-2022, 11:20 AM
Had same situation with my youngest daughter. But she went to OM to visit as we had taken her to several other schools and they convinced her they could help. They lied and I tried to explain to her they had no connections. She loved Oxford, went there two years and ended up last two years at Hinds to get her degree. She is working at Baptist in ICU but works for Select. Things worked out for her.
Btw she asked was I gonna be mad when she " committed to Ole Dixie". I told her no MSU was my school and she had to choose. I still dislike the Old Dixie school! LOL.

I feel your pain. Oldest completes Pharmacy program in May and now nursing with the 2nd.

Kylesandi338
03-11-2022, 11:35 AM
I work for UMC and my daughter wants to go to STATE . She also wants to be a nurse and I get 1/2 off tuition at UMC. She tells me she will never go to a OLE miss school!! I am in a predicament

parabrave
03-11-2022, 11:53 AM
My daughter is a sophomore in high school. She loves State and it seems like half of her school here in Memphis ends up at State so she would have plenty of friends. Obviously I'd love her there.

BUT she has always wanted to be a NICU nurse. I know State doesn't have nursing, but the school says they have students that come to State and do their first 2 years then transfer to a nursing school. They will even look at the school you transfer to and make sure all the classes you take at State will transfer.

They also have this silly deal with the W where they partner but if I understand correctly, it actually ends up taking 5 years to do that (plus it's just inconvenient).

Is there another degree in the health science field State does offer that's a promising career? Any advice appreciated.

Get her Biology degree at State then go to an accelerated 2 year nursing school/ I know of one in Fairhope which my nephew went to and there is another one in Baton Rouge where my niece attends. Both schools are highly competitive to get in/

Commercecomet24
03-11-2022, 12:14 PM
Get her Biology degree at State then go to an accelerated 2 year nursing school/ I know of one in Fairhope which my nephew went to and there is another one in Baton Rouge where my niece attends. Both schools are highly competitive to get in/

This, I have a good friend who's daughter did this exact thing.

TheLostDawg
03-11-2022, 12:28 PM
Plenty of options. Can go to State and get core classes then go to nursing school. Can also to go east Ms cc in Mayhew and live in Starkville. Can live in Starkville and go to the W. If she's wanting a degree at State, I think a lot of the athletes, at least when I was there, did kinesiology. A lot of those classes would count and would be less taxing than a biology degree.

SailingDawg
03-11-2022, 02:29 PM
Let her go to State for two years to get the partying out of her system then send her to the W for the nursing degree. She can live in StarkPatch and commute.

SilentSteel16
03-11-2022, 02:57 PM
I work for UMC and my daughter wants to go to STATE . She also wants to be a nurse and I get 1/2 off tuition at UMC. She tells me she will never go to a OLE miss school!! I am in a predicament

Might want to check but I believe that she would go to Oxford for half off as well since you are a UMMC employee. My wife works for UMMC and it is what she claims.

parabrave
03-11-2022, 03:06 PM
For any of you who have children or family members who wan t to go into nursing or medical field contact the VA. If they qualify the VA will pay a portion of their schooling plus they will have a better paying job starting off than in the private sector. I am disabled, thank you mister parachute, and I get great treatment at the Biloxi VA and they are always looking for young nurses.

MoreCowbell
03-11-2022, 04:41 PM

I dated a girl who went to State for undergrad then went to Belhaven for 2 years and got Nursing degree there. Can not remember what her undergrad degree was in though.

RiverCityDawg
03-11-2022, 05:13 PM
I knew lots of girls that went to State for the first couple of years then went to the W for nursing school. They lived in Starkville the whole time so pretty much got the full State experience. I don't remember it taking 5 years for them, but maybe they all loaded up.

starkvegasdawg
03-11-2022, 05:20 PM
Not State but Mississippi delta CC in Moorhead and Delta State have renowned nursing programs.

basedog
03-11-2022, 05:47 PM
W has a great Nursing program. Very hard nursing school, most that enroll don't last or at least when we took our daughter there. My daughter was a good student, she has excel at her job but it is very stressful. She is very dedicated which u must be and her days off she sleeps a lot. Just saying. ICU is tough.

TheLostDawg
03-11-2022, 05:53 PM
For any of you who have children or family members who wan t to go into nursing or medical field contact the VA. If they qualify the VA will pay a portion of their schooling plus they will have a better paying job starting off than in the private sector. I am disabled, thank you mister parachute, and I get great treatment at the Biloxi VA and they are always looking for young nurses.

They are or you are?***

maroonmania
03-11-2022, 06:24 PM

Same thing for me. My oldest daughter decided to go to Auburn so she could get her nursing degree.

dogshiek
03-11-2022, 06:31 PM
The Dr Randal and Marilyn White Pre-Health Advising Office is located in Rice Hall. They advise students who are interested in going to MSU for two years before transferring. They also help students get into professional schools.

parabrave
03-11-2022, 06:37 PM
They are or you are?***

They are.

gtowndawg
03-11-2022, 08:01 PM
Thanks to everyone that offered advice. Some good stuff in here to think about.

hailmari
03-11-2022, 09:50 PM
Memphis has a solid nursing program from what I understand. I?m sure it?d be no problem transferring there after a year or two at State (as far as classes transferring go). I graduated at State and ended up going back to school four years later at Baptist College of Health Sciences in Memphis (it?s since then gotten university status), and I knew of several people who were like myself and transferred classes from State.

Although, I don?t know if State has fixed it since 2012, but I couldn?t transfer my physics 1 and 2 courses due to them not having the built in fourth credit for the lab. Weirdest thing- physics at State required an actual lab, but you only got 3 credits for the entire course.

hailmari
03-11-2022, 09:55 PM
Did Ole Miss ever add the option of getting a nursing degree in Oxford? I know they had floated the idea at one point. There was concern that Jackson had gotten so bad that it was hurting the nursing school. Not sure if it ever got up and running though.

When I was working in Oxford at the new hospital, the plan was to turn the old Baptist hospital into the nursing school. I have no idea if that idea fell through or what.

Bass Chaser
03-11-2022, 10:05 PM
William Carey has an accelerated Nursing program. They have trimesters where you can complete the program in 18 months.

BeardoMSU
03-11-2022, 10:43 PM

This is the way.

vv83
03-11-2022, 10:51 PM

Like others mentioned, 2 years at state, then 2 at the W (or whatever nursing finishing program). I know multiple people who did this and are now practicing nurses.

Bass Chaser
03-11-2022, 11:32 PM
This is the way.

Help me understand why someone should get a degree that takes 4 years then go somewhere else and spend 2 years to get a nursing degree?

Todd4State
03-12-2022, 12:03 AM
Help me understand why someone should get a degree that takes 4 years then go somewhere else and spend 2 years to get a nursing degree?

Flexibility and maturity. Professional schools are a completely different animal than a four year school. If say nursing doesn't work out a biology degree has a lot of options that fit other professions ranging from medical sales, working in a lab, to possibly another health related profession.

I went to MSU and UMC. I have a degree from both. My field you could at the time go somewhere for a couple of years and then go to UMC. Most of us that had four year degrees made it through. There was a noticeable difference between people that went somewhere for two years and those that had a degree as far as maturity.

Todd4State
03-12-2022, 12:09 AM

MSU and UMC grad here. Not a nurse.

I would recommend going to MSU and majoring in a science of some kind- biology is a good one, microbiology, chemistry, etc.

When I was talking to UMC people 20 years ago they actually remarked about how successful MSU students were at UMC compared to other in state schools. I expected them to fully pimp Ole Miss and the people I talked to were not MSU grads and they still spoke well about MSU. It's because the science programs at MSU are so challenging it helps students prepare for medical and nursing school better.

Personally, I would recommend getting a degree at MSU and then going to nursing/professional school.

Don't forget USM and UAB also have nursing schools too.

Todd4State
03-12-2022, 12:15 AM

I'm pretty sure they have one in Oxford now. The reason for it is because they wanted to continue to have an Ole Miss connection to UMC. Had nothing to do with Jackson. The medical school moved away from Ole Miss because Jackson was bigger and more centrally located and it didn't make sense to have the state's teaching hospital in a remote location.

Some UMC grads like myself want UMC to disassociate from Ole Miss completely and follow the model that other states like Georgia have where they have a centralized "medical college" and they take grads from all over the state. Really the only time Ole Miss ever claims UMC is at their convenience. Like for enrollment numbers. UMC and Ole Miss are essentially separate schools as it is. It would be like Alabama claiming UAB or Texas claiming Texas San Antonio.

iPat09
03-12-2022, 12:29 AM
Might want to check but I believe that she would go to Oxford for half off as well since you are a UMMC employee. My wife works for UMMC and it is what she claims.

My wife and I both work for UMC. If we ever had kids, they'd get to go to Ole Miss for free if we both still worked at the hospital.

RougeDawg
03-12-2022, 01:03 AM
I will honestly tell you State has some of the strongest science programs in the southeast, if not the nation. Having a double major in biochemistry and chemical engineering I will tell you that the courses are challenging and the industry community well respects what the university offers. Hiring people respect our science and engineering departments.

I haven?t met one State Grad engineer here in New Orleans that has not been successful or competent. And the companies respect them. LSU grads on the other hand leave a lot to be desired.

Either way If she can get some solid core biology/biochem courses under her belt at state before any nursing school it would give her a leg up. They are, or were, challenging. Sometimes very boring. But even to this day many years later I can rattle off micro/biochem shit without thinking and I hated the classes. It sticks with you and if she can find a way it will prepare her long term.

RougeDawg
03-12-2022, 01:07 AM

Did she get a red duffel bag of cash? Heard that?s how OM does their best work.

All kidding aside, it is what it is. As long as we learn who the liars are. It will all work out, and the lessons we learn along the way pay some hefty dividends.

parabrave
03-12-2022, 01:41 AM

Couldn't get into Med School/ So get into nursing work a few years as an ICU nurse then go get your CRNA. Some kids get a degree and figure out that is not what they want to do so go to an accelerated school and get their RN. Some of these schools have a 2-3 year waiting list.

basedog
03-12-2022, 06:07 AM
Did she get a red duffel bag of cash? Heard that?s how OM does their best work.

All kidding aside, it is what it is. As long as we learn who the liars are. It will all work out, and the lessons we learn along the way pay some hefty dividends.

LOL, no red duffle bag but let me say her sorority got heavy into my pocket book! To say life in Ole Dixie is cheap is way off base especially girls in sororities! She left after two years and went to Hinds for two years, best deal she ever did at least for her career and my pocket book. I will say it again, very stressful job especially working 12 hour shifts and in ICU. Btw, got on at Select before she graduated and gained tons of experience and they hired her after graduation ( I had a friend who worked at Baptist and got on her on so she gained some experience before graduation).