PDA

View Full Version : Next Men?s basketball coach

Chuck3124
03-10-2022, 09:23 PM
Do we have an idea of who the next coach might be yet?? Haven?t seen anything on here as of late about it. So I was getting curious

Ifyouonlyknew
03-10-2022, 09:25 PM
As of tonight I don’t think search makes it past Matt McMahon or Chris Jans.

basedog
03-10-2022, 09:40 PM

What’s your guess on WBB Coach?

Ifyouonlyknew
03-10-2022, 10:02 PM
What’s your guess on WBB Coach?

No clue but I’ll be the 1st to admit I’m not really a big fan of womens ball. If they win great if not ehh.

calidawg
03-10-2022, 10:05 PM

Would be shocked if either became coach here

KOdawg1
03-10-2022, 10:07 PM
Either one would be a homerun hire for MSU

Coach34
03-10-2022, 10:16 PM

We are always at a disadvantage-but with SEC money we can pay for the right guy

CaptainObvious
03-10-2022, 10:33 PM
We are always at a disadvantage-but with SEC money we can pay for the right guy

We have definitely paid for the wrong guy before. 🙄🙄

Ari Gold
03-10-2022, 10:41 PM
No clue but I’ll be the 1st to admit I’m not really a big fan of womens ball. If they win great if not ehh.

This... and it’s absurd Novak hasn’t gotten the job yet.. hopefully LB won’t be involved in the hiring process ..

BhamDawg
03-10-2022, 10:50 PM
Bring back stansbury.

HaggardDawg
03-10-2022, 10:57 PM
Karl Smesko, Florida Gulf Coast WBB could be close to the top of the list.

Ifyouonlyknew
03-10-2022, 11:05 PM

Why?

Ifyouonlyknew
03-10-2022, 11:06 PM
This... and it’s absurd Novak hasn’t gotten the job yet.. hopefully LB won’t be involved in the hiring process ..

Novak isn’t qualified if we’re being honest. I appreciate the job he did this season but we’re going to reward him with a SEC job because the girls played hard? The standard has become that low?

calidawg
03-10-2022, 11:20 PM
Why?
Matt McMahon is not going to be the coach here. He is going to have much better options. Jans maybe. My bet is richey or someone not on the radar yet. We are not a great job, we just have to hope we get lucky

maroonmania
03-10-2022, 11:25 PM
Novak isn?t qualified if we?re being honest. I appreciate the job he did this season but we?re going to reward him with a SEC job because the girls played hard? The standard has become that low?

Girls played hard and WON a lot of games they had no business winning and would have won quite a few more if they had had enough players to finish out the 4th Q. I'm tired of these "looks good on paper" hires like NMP or Moorhead that Cohen keeps making but are pathetic once they get on the job. At least I have already witnessed Novak's on floor coaching ability in the SEC wars. Richard Williams wasn't technically qualified either to run an SEC men's BB program but he's still the only coach in our history to get us to a Final Four and won an SEC title as well.

Coach34
03-10-2022, 11:57 PM
Bring back stansbury.

Stands might be a good hire for the women’s program

Ari Gold
03-11-2022, 02:05 AM
Novak isn’t qualified if we’re being honest. I appreciate the job he did this season but we’re going to reward him with a SEC job because the girls played hard? The standard has become that low?

Apparently neither was what’s her name..
Bottom line this guy won sec games with basically 7-8 players all year
I think we have a 5 star transfer or a commit or something , again I don’t folllow women’s hoops
But there is no need to spend millions on a girls coach when we can hire this guy and win games
Give him 3 years and see what he can do with his girls and a full roster

Cooterpoot
03-11-2022, 03:23 AM
Apparently neither was what?s her name..
I think we have a 5 star transfer or a commit or something , again I don?t folllow women?s hoops
But there is no need to spend millions on a girls coach when we can hire this guy and win games

He won one game vs a good team. He's not getting the job unless a couple people say no. And that's how it should be. Never just sign someone blindly. Had he made the tournament or beaten a few good teams, it might be different.
As for the men, my money is squarely on Riley. And I think that's a bad hire. Hope I'm wrong.

AROB44
03-11-2022, 03:25 AM
Originally Posted by Ifyouonlyknew
Novak isn?t qualified if we?re being honest. I appreciate the job he did this season but we?re going to reward him with a SEC job because the girls played hard? The standard has become that low?

Then I must be missing something.....exactly what is being "qualified"? Looked damn qualified to me. Of course, we all know that Cohen will outsmart himself on thjs one.

Really Clark?
03-11-2022, 06:17 AM
I think Novak has done a nice job keeping the program from sinking and the ladies played hard for him...Gary Henderson did an outstanding job his year as interim, look how deep we went with him, yet you didn't have as quite as many drumming for him to get the job as you do Novak.

TheLostDawg
03-11-2022, 07:56 AM
Apparently neither was what’s her name..
I think we have a 5 star transfer or a commit or something , again I don’t folllow women’s hoops

Why not leave him as intern another year and see.

TheLostDawg
03-11-2022, 08:06 AM
I think Novak has done a nice job keeping the program from sinking and the ladies played hard for him...Gary Henderson did an outstanding job his year as interim, look how deep we went with him, yet you didn't have as quite as many drumming for him to get the job as you do Novak.

One it's women's basketball. Us being a women's powerhouse ended when Shaffer left.
Two most everyone trusted Cohen to make a good baseball hire. Even though a lot were skeptical of Lemonis hire, they weren't up in arms and were willing to give him a chance unlike the Leach hire who many wrote off at the get go.

I don't watch women's basketball but why not see what this guy can do with a full roster and year. Leave him as interm with a chance to earn the contract. Seems like he's doing a decent job recruiting as is from what little I've seen

I doubt we get the guy from Florida cc.

TheLostDawg
03-11-2022, 08:09 AM
And for the men's hire, both those guys don't have ties to the sec other than one year of ga at Tennessee.
Not opposed to them but just wanted to add that after reading about the Ray comments.
-i know that it's different since Ray was an assistant but just thought I'd add that in

maroonmania
03-11-2022, 08:10 AM

I've never really gotten the Gary Henderson comparison myself other than they were both interim HCs. Henderson was a guy in the twilight of his career who had a pretty long resume to be judged on, not just one part of one season. Secondly, the team Henderson took deep in the tourney was a full roster team with WAY more talent than what Novak had available. Heck, if was pretty impressive to me that Novak's team actually improved after his most talented player left. And finally, basketball and baseball are just 2 different sports. To me, in game coaching in basketball is a bigger piece to the game than baseball especially in college where you can play different styles of ball. Novak is a much younger, hungrier guy ready to prove something if he can. Henderson was not that at all.

maroonmania
03-11-2022, 08:19 AM
Originally Posted by Ifyouonlyknew

Then I must be missing something.....exactly what is being "qualified"? Looked damn qualified to me. Of course, we all know that Cohen will outsmart himself on thjs one.

It will be an absolute shock if Cohen hires Novak. He is likely going to hire someone else to show us how smart he is. I wish he would just give Novak a couple of years to see how he would do with a full roster and his own staff and go big game hunting on the men's side. If Novak doesn't work then you can always go find someone else after that. Heck, we can pay a men's BB coach more if we save money by giving Novak the job on the women's side and the entire roster will stay. If we get a new coach its going to be a total rebuild on the women's side.

basedog
03-11-2022, 09:01 AM
Karl Smesko, Florida Gulf Coast WBB could be close to the top of the list.

Word or rumor he said NO.

Quaoarsking
03-11-2022, 09:01 AM

That comparison is always going to be terrible because Henderson had already been an SEC coach for 8 years before being fired for only making the tournament twice.

If Novak had been a failure at an SEC job already, nobody would be saying to keep him on.

StarkVegasSteve
03-11-2022, 09:09 AM
Can we get back to the original topic? If the womens basketball cult wants to start the 178th thread on why Doug Novak should coach the mens, womens,Starkville high, and Starkville Academy on Tuesdays then start your own damn thread.

My opinion on the job, if we were to somehow pull McMahon I think it could be viewed as the best coaching hire made by an MSU AD in the modern era. He is a sitting HC, not an up and comer asst. and he has no personal or NCAA baggage. Saying that I think it probably comes down to Chris Jans or Bob Richey. Richey wants the job so it would not make it past him.

RocketDawg
03-11-2022, 09:12 AM

He's qualified enough, given the relative importance of women's basketball, and he's proven he can do the job (mostly). Paper qualifications aren't necessarily everything - e.g., Nikki. I say hire Novak and concentrate on other things.

basedog
03-11-2022, 09:16 AM
Can we get back to the original topic? If the womens basketball cult wants to start the 178th thread on why Doug Novak should coach the mens, womens,Starkville high, and Starkville Academy on Tuesdays then start your own damn thread.

My opinion on the job, if we were to somehow pull McMahon I think it could be viewed as the best coaching hire made by an MSU AD in the modern era. He is a sitting HC, not an up and comer asst. and he has no personal or NCAA baggage. Saying that I think it probably comes down to Chris Jans or Bob Richey. Richey wants the job so it would not make it past him.

I ask IYOK a question, sorry it caused problems but I ain't gonna apologize** LOL Hire Novak, LOL (all in fun Vegas)

Johnson85
03-11-2022, 09:56 AM

Yes? How qualified do you have to be to manage a money losing sport? We should pay him bottom of the league pay and give him a chance to prove himself. We went out and spent money when we had the chance to maintain a nationally prominent program, which was reasonable. If you're a top five program, the exposure makes up for losing money. But it didn't work out (to say the least). Unlike baseball, there's no reason to think we're going to be national championship competitors again anytime soon, so we don't need to spend a lot of money hoping for a miracle. We can hope for a miracle while we save money.

msstate7
03-11-2022, 10:12 AM
Put me in the camp of richey. He isn't my first choice, but I don't think we hit on top choices.

BrunswickDawg
03-11-2022, 10:22 AM
Put me in the camp of richey. He isn't my first choice, but I don't think we hit on top choices.

So, with all the knocks on Howland for only making the NCAA's once, we should hire a guy who can't win the the SoCon and has never made the NCAA's? Richey may be a good coach, but what makes you think he can make a jump ahead of where Howland has had us?

Coach34
03-11-2022, 10:26 AM
Yes? How qualified do you have to be to manage a money losing sport? We should pay him bottom of the league pay and give him a chance to prove himself. We went out and spent money when we had the chance to maintain a nationally prominent program, which was reasonable. If you're a top five program, the exposure makes up for losing money. But it didn't work out (to say the least). Unlike baseball, there's no reason to think we're going to be national championship competitors again anytime soon, so we don't need to spend a lot of money hoping for a miracle. We can hope for a miracle while we save money.

THIS is the correct philosophy

StarkVegasSteve
03-11-2022, 10:28 AM

All indications are he will take it if offered. I think he would be a solid hire. A B to a B-. Then again everyone railed Bama for hiring Nate Oats and all he has done is take them to the tourney every year except his 1st.

MedDawg
03-11-2022, 10:32 AM
We have definitely paid for the wrong guy before. 🙄🙄

So has every other SEC school. Most of the SEC will be looking for new coaches this year or next year.

Over many years there are much bigger and richer schools who haven't been able to find/keep a quality basketball coach. I hope we can.

TheLostDawg
03-11-2022, 12:19 PM

This

TheLostDawg
03-11-2022, 12:21 PM
So, with all the knocks on Howland for only making the NCAA's once, we should hire a guy who can't win the the SoCon and has never made the NCAA's? Richey may be a good coach, but what makes you think he can make a jump ahead of where Howland has had us?

Very concerning but I guess when you don't get your first few then you go with best next available. I'd rather gamble on someone who would want to be here

msstate7
03-11-2022, 12:24 PM

I've never called for howland to be fired except for maybe in an irrational fit during a game

BrunswickDawg
03-11-2022, 12:45 PM
I've never called for howland to be fired except for maybe in an irrational fit during a game

That's not what I'm saying 7. You said you were in the camp for Richey. I'm not asking if you support firing Howland, just what makes you think he can do better than Howland - since I assume by replacing Howland we are looking for someone who could do better.

Ifyouonlyknew
03-11-2022, 12:49 PM
Matt McMahon is not going to be the coach here. He is going to have much better options. Jans maybe. My bet is richey or someone not on the radar yet. We are not a great job, we just have to hope we get lucky

I think you may be surprised. Our fans perception of our job & the actual perception of our job are totally different. Totally

msstate7
03-11-2022, 12:50 PM
That's not what I'm saying 7. You said you were in the camp for Richey. I'm not asking if you support firing Howland, just what makes you think he can do better than Howland - since I assume by replacing Howland we are looking for someone who could do better.

I don't know if Richey can do better or not. I just don't think we're gonna get top targets, so I see us ending up with a guy like richey that may or may not be better.

The guy I think we might could get that could actually be an improvement is mccasland. He probably won't be an option though bc he doesn't play up tempo/exciting

StarkVegasSteve
03-11-2022, 12:51 PM

I will give you the answer that most people will say, his teams shoot 3s and somehow that is going to make us automatically win more games. The truth of the matter is that maybe it will and maybe it will not. I lean more towards will not, but that is me. College Basketball coaching hires are an absolute crapshoot. Archie Miller looked like a slam dunk at Indiana and was canned in 4 years. Nate Oats was one of the biggest WTF hires of the 2019 coaching cycles and has Bama in back to back NCAA tourneys with a conference regular season and tourney title on his resume.

Ifyouonlyknew
03-11-2022, 12:52 PM
Novak had coached women for 7 months. There go MSU fans developing an emotional attachment to coaches again just because they seem to want to be here. Hire the best coach possible. That’s not Doug Novak.

NCMSTFAN
03-11-2022, 04:40 PM
Novak had coached women for 7 months. There go MSU fans developing an emotional attachment to coaches again just because they seem to want to be here. Hire the best coach possible. That’s not Doug Novak.

From an x and o standpoint Novak is qualified, he showed that this season, but that doesn't always equal success because you have to recruit well, manage ego's, manage assistant coaches (which became an issue this year), so to be honest it's hard to truly tell how good of a fit he is.... but from everything I saw this season I would definitely give him a shot at it. We get Jessika Carter and Danae Carter back, Jerkaila Jordan will be back, the Michigan State transfer, maybe Myah Taylor, so he will have some pieces to work with. Our biggest loss by far will be Anastasia Hayes, I don't think people understand how good she is

MoreCowbell
03-11-2022, 04:43 PM
I think you may be surprised. Our fans perception of our job & the actual perception of our job are totally different. Totally

It is a MUCH more desirable position now than when Howland took it

MoreCowbell
03-11-2022, 04:46 PM
I will give you the answer that most people will say, his teams shoot 3s and somehow that is going to make us automatically win more games. The truth of the matter is that maybe it will and maybe it will not. I lean more towards will not, but that is me. College Basketball coaching hires are an absolute crapshoot. Archie Miller looked like a slam dunk at Indiana and was canned in 4 years. Nate Oats was one of the biggest WTF hires of the 2019 coaching cycles and has Bama in back to back NCAA tourneys with a conference regular season and tourney title on his resume.

The key is to keep recruiting these great raw athletes at the 3,4 and 5 but add in a couple of Tyson Carter types or pure shooters. If this team had 1 or 2 guys that could pop from 3 we would have 3/4 more wins

schddog72
03-11-2022, 04:48 PM
This... and it?s absurd Novak hasn?t gotten the job yet.. hopefully LB won?t be involved in the hiring process ..

Absolutely THIS!!!

Ifyouonlyknew
03-11-2022, 04:48 PM
From an x and o standpoint Novak is qualified, he showed that this season, but that doesn't always equal success because you have to recruit well, manage ego's, manage assistant coaches (which became an issue this year), so to be honest it's hard to truly tell how good of a fit he is.... but from everything I saw this season I would definitely give him a shot at it. We get Jessika Carter and Danae Carter back, Jerkaila Jordan will be back, the Michigan State transfer, maybe Myah Taylor, so he will have some pieces to work with. Our biggest loss by far will be Anastasia Hayes, I don't think people understand how good she is

The thing is this isn’t a next year hire. This is a next 5 years hire. The guy has never recruited in the womens game before. He doesn’t have a relationship with any of the female AAU organizations & he has no contacts in the womens game to hire that lights out recruiter who could do that. I just think people are taking this feel good story of this season & trying to make him into something that he’s not.

NCMSTFAN
03-11-2022, 05:19 PM
The thing is this isn’t a next year hire. This is a next 5 years hire. The guy has never recruited in the womens game before. He doesn’t have a relationship with any of the female AAU organizations & he has no contacts in the womens game to hire that lights out recruiter who could do that. I just think people are taking this feel good story of this season & trying to make him into something that he’s not.

You may be 100% correct. But I watched most of the games this year and clearly saw he can coach, he was able to keep 4 star Powe committed and brought in the really good Michigan State transfer so it seems he can recruit some.. unless you have a strong replacement with a great history I wouldn't bet against Novak. And even then I still may not... Just my opinion though

calidawg
03-11-2022, 06:25 PM

I'm not understanding how our job is any better than our p5 contemporaries. If you can paint the picture of how ours is better than some of our peers, I'm all ears.

Quaoarsking
03-11-2022, 07:24 PM

It's the NIL Era. The boosters can help him fill his deficiencies (if applicable) while he builds those relationships.

Coach34
03-11-2022, 07:55 PM
Novak is Richard Williams.

Hire him and get him a John Brady or a Stands

Ifyouonlyknew
03-11-2022, 07:56 PM
I'm not understanding how our job is any better than our p5 contemporaries. If you can paint the picture of how ours is better than some of our peers, I'm all ears.

What jobs are you referring to?

Ifyouonlyknew
03-11-2022, 07:57 PM
Novak is Richard Williams.

Hire him and get him a John Brady or a Stands

The question is connections. To hire those type of coaches you usually need connections. That’s the issue.

msstate7
03-11-2022, 07:57 PM
What jobs are you referring to?

Missouri and Georgia.

I would think most fiches rank them ahead of us even if we're better

Coach34
03-11-2022, 07:58 PM
The question is connections. To hire those type of coaches you usually need connections. That’s the issue.

or money. Pay them

Ifyouonlyknew
03-11-2022, 08:01 PM
Missouri and Georgia.

I would think most fiches rank them ahead of us even if we're better

I expect to beat out UGA for a coach. ESP if that coach is McMahon. UGA isn’t looked at as better than us. Missouri is pretty even in that terms but they don’t seem to be looking in the same direction early as us.

maroonmania
03-11-2022, 08:10 PM
or money. Pay them

Exactly, this isn't rocket surgery. I'd rather have a guy that can coach who can hire some recruiters than us keep hiring the Cohen specials we've been getting that cant seem to coach at all. Whether you hire Novak or some G5 coach it's a gamble either way. A lot of the roster is going to leave if Novak doesn't get the job so whoever we do hire sure better be able to recruit.

HoopsDawg
03-11-2022, 08:15 PM

We aren't a top 50 job.

HoopsDawg
03-11-2022, 08:17 PM

Only good thing about Novak is we could save money which should be the plan in women's hoops. But Cohen doesn't have that luxury. He can't have another bad hire.

Coach34
03-11-2022, 08:21 PM
We gave Vic some big money and he earned it.

Hire Novak- we dont have to pay him big at all. Then use the extra to bump some assistants that can recruit. The pay gap in girls basketball is HUGE. using a couple hundred K to pay a couple of recruiters on staff can get us a decent staff and some players.

We did that with Richard Williams. Williams could coach- hated recruiting. So we gave him John Brady who built our SEC Title team in 1991. Then we hired Stands- who helped build the 1996 team. Dont forget Robert Kirby during that time because he was a big factor as well.

Use the same equation and do it on the girls side

EdwardDrayton
03-11-2022, 08:39 PM
To say Novak is not technically qualified suggests one did not watch the games. Now maybe it?s hard to evaluate his recruiting ability but the players want him and he is a good technical coach.

Coach34
03-11-2022, 08:42 PM
To say Novak is not technically qualified suggests one did not watch the games. Now maybe it?s hard to evaluate his recruiting ability but the players want him and he is a good technical coach.

Yeah- the guy proved he can coach. To act like he didnt is ridiculous. Recruiting is now what has to be addressed. Do we feel he can get players? Whats that plan moving forward?

Ifyouonlyknew
03-11-2022, 08:53 PM
We aren't a top 50 job.

We?re going to make a Top 50 hire I believe.

CaptainObvious
03-11-2022, 09:01 PM

We better! We need a Top 25 coach to get us to the Top 5 in the SEC. It?s a new day in College Basketball.

HoopsDawg
03-11-2022, 09:02 PM

Hope so. We'll see.

NCMSTFAN
03-11-2022, 09:22 PM

Great post

NCMSTFAN
03-11-2022, 09:25 PM
We better! We need a Top 25 coach to get us to the Top 5 in the SEC. It?s a new day in College Basketball.

What top 25 coach is available? And why risk it? Hire Novak, there is more to lose if you don't, plus the players want to play for him

CaptainObvious
03-11-2022, 09:36 PM
What top 25 coach is available? And why risk it? Hire Novak, there is more to lose if you don't, plus the players want to play for him

I thought this primary focus of this thread was Men?s basketball. My mistake.

Ifyouonlyknew
03-11-2022, 09:45 PM
I thought this primary focus of this thread was Men?s basketball. My mistake.

It was