PDA

View Full Version : Mississippi State brand

TheLostDawg
03-10-2022, 07:15 PM
I know this isn't all on Cohen but referencing him and Strickland for timeline purpose.

I see southern Mississippi and ole Miss billboards around the state but not Mississippi State. Also the commercial on SEC network has a lot of smoke but no hard facts like in the past. We have some amazing things we're involved in yet none are directly mentioned.

Whoever is in charge of (I guess) marketing needs to be fired, given a better budget, something but it needs to be fixed. I know sports is the best way to get your name out there but we need to do better of recruiting future students. Y'all complain about the donations/budget but getting the best and brightest students we can in the long run help in so many ways, donations included. Ole Miss having so many doctors, lawyers, politicians donating helps them. We need to get the information out on how we're a top school in (name it) and boost our student recruiting.

parabrave
03-10-2022, 08:10 PM
Try finding MSU on the radio in South Miss. You won't. You will find OM LSU USM Tulane and even BAMA.

CaptainObvious
03-10-2022, 08:32 PM
Try finding MSU on the radio in South Miss. You won't. You will find OM LSU USM Tulane and even BAMA.

The flagship Jackson station for MSU sports, 105.9, is not covering State baseball. In fact they had High School Basketball on the past week. Now think about that. A high school basketball game only attracts the direct local fans of those specific towns, sometimes less than 500 people. A State athletic event has 10?s of 1000?s of fans who would listen if unable to view.

Commercecomet24
03-10-2022, 08:37 PM
There's quite a few billboards up in the state and some in alabama.

Commercecomet24
03-10-2022, 08:38 PM
There hasn't been a radio station carrying State baseball in south Mississippi for awhile. Don't know what the deal is there

DawgFan85
03-10-2022, 08:54 PM
Yep, game day experience for football games has gone down hill since Cohen took over. The previous 2 AD's did a much better job with that in my humble opinion. And that crap they blow out of the speakers prior to the game makes my skin crawl. Stopped buying season tickets after Joe Mo's first season. My wife made that decision, she know's her football and knows what a bad coaching job looks like and said no more. That team should have won more. Worked out though, I had a quadruple bi-pass that Spring so wouldn't have made it anyway. Love what Cohen has done with baseball but the football needs some work on game day. I think Leach makes some headway this year but man that schedule looks brutal. Give me 7 to 8 wins this season and beat UM and I will be some what pleased.

Cooterpoot
03-10-2022, 10:31 PM
John Templeton Cohen

parabrave
03-11-2022, 12:56 AM
Yep, game day experience for football games has gone down hill since Cohen took over. The previous 2 AD's did a much better job with that in my humble opinion. And that crap they blow out of the speakers prior to the game makes my skin crawl. Stopped buying season tickets after Joe Mo's first season. My wife made that decision, she know's her football and knows what a bad coaching job looks like and said no more. That team should have won more. Worked out though, I had a quadruple bi-pass that Spring so wouldn't have made it anyway. Love what Cohen has done with baseball but the football needs some work on game day. I think Leach makes some headway this year but man that schedule looks brutal. Give me 7 to 8 wins this season and beat UM and I will be some what pleased.

You know I don't mind the old days of showing up going to inlaws tailgate going inside the stadium listening to the Band watching the game and going home. The only problem was waiting 30 min to take a leak.

TheLostDawg
03-11-2022, 07:33 AM
There's quite a few billboards up in the state and some in alabama.

I've been all over the state and have only seen a few in Jackson, maybe one going into Memphis.

The ones you are seeing, does it have any substance to it?

TheLostDawg
03-11-2022, 07:35 AM
There hasn't been a radio station carrying State baseball in south Mississippi for awhile. Don't know what the deal is there

That's sad. Don't you have to use AM radio to get it?

DownwardDawg
03-11-2022, 09:07 AM

I lived in Canebrake for a while and it used to piss me off that I couldn't listen to State baseball while fishing in the lake or cooking on the grill. Same when I went back to Covington county. For years I listened to almost every game and then it was gone.

StateDawg44
03-11-2022, 09:15 AM
I've been all over the state and have only seen a few in Jackson, maybe one going into Memphis.

The ones you are seeing, does it have any substance to it?

What would you deem "substance"? What exactly are you expecting the billboard to do or say?

Cooterpoot
03-11-2022, 11:12 AM
If you aren't in BFE MS, you can stream every radio broadcast free on Hail State. Problem is, there's a whole lotta BFE in MS. I think Brookhaven has a station that carries games on like 102.1 or something. Best I could find in S MS.

StarkVegasSteve
03-11-2022, 11:30 AM

That is what you get when you hire a baseball coach as an AD. A baseball coach that has no marketing, social media, or branding experience and always has to be the smartest person in the room. Compare our marketing and production departments from the year prior to Cohen,2015, to now. It is night and day. You had Rhett, Bob, and Derek Cody knocking it out of the park on all fronts and our athletics was being promoted all over the place. Now, you might be lucky if people even know we have anything other than a baseball game.

TheLostDawg
03-11-2022, 12:35 PM
What would you deem "substance"? What exactly are you expecting the billboard to do or say?

For example the southern miss boards say top (whatever number) in psych and things of that nature

TheLostDawg
03-11-2022, 12:43 PM

A good start would have billboards on the coast when hurricane season starts up saying how 1 in every 5? Metrologist are graduates of state.

Things to sell our school. In Jackson advertise how were at the top in the nation in whatever field of engineering/helping build rockets with NASA (or whatever the old commercial had-when they had substance to it). Advertise our electric car team.

A lot of things we could have with substance in targeted areas instead of having generic billboards that do nothing but give Lamar money. Just like the commercial that only says we do all these things but don't sell why you should come to MSU to study/do those things and not some other college

TheLostDawg
03-11-2022, 12:44 PM
If you aren't in BFE MS, you can stream every radio broadcast free on Hail State. Problem is, there's a whole lotta BFE in MS. I think Brookhaven has a station that carries games on like 102.1 or something. Best I could find in S MS.

I hope your app works better than mine. Mine always cuts on and off. At least it did last year or so. Bugs might be fixed now

TheLostDawg
03-11-2022, 12:47 PM
That is what you get when you hire a baseball coach as an AD. A baseball coach that has no marketing, social media, or branding experience and always has to be the smartest person in the room. Compare our marketing and production departments from the year prior to Cohen,2015, to now. It is night and day. You had Rhett, Bob, and Derek Cody knocking it out of the park on all fronts and our athletics was being promoted all over the place. Now, you might be lucky if people even know we have anything other than a baseball game.

Where are they now?I heard we told Rhett to go out and get some experience elsewhere with the intentions of bringing him back later on so we don't keep inbreeding with no outside ideas. If so hopefully we get him/them? Back

parabrave
03-11-2022, 01:09 PM

I do this for every game. Now when I'm out in the Gulf the WiFi is hard to get. The last radio station on the coast to carry MSU was a weak AM station in Pascagoula which you could barely get outside of Pascagoula

StarkVegasSteve
03-11-2022, 01:54 PM
Where are they now?I heard we told Rhett to go out and get some experience elsewhere with the intentions of bringing him back later on so we don't keep inbreeding with no outside ideas. If so hopefully we get him/them? Back

Rhett is at Wake and he will be a big time AD before Cohen retires. With Bob they cut his position and then realized 4 years later that maybe having a writer was not such a bad idea and brought in Joel Coleman. And with Cody I believe they cut funding for the video department. Cohen cut the long form video stuff that he wanted to do.

TheLostDawg
03-11-2022, 06:17 PM
Rhett is at Wake and he will be a big time AD before Cohen retires. With Bob they cut his position and then realized 4 years later that maybe having a writer was not such a bad idea and brought in Joel Coleman. And with Cody I believe they cut funding for the video department. Cohen cut the long form video stuff that he wanted to do.

Why did we cut anything? Seems we would be adding if anything with SEC money coming in

StarkVegasSteve
03-11-2022, 10:40 PM
Why did we cut anything? Seems we would be adding if anything with SEC money coming in

Remember in that scenario you are assuming we have a competent AD who understands things AD have to understand to be successful. Cohen does not.