PDA

View Full Version : Our pitching staff is a complete mess

Todd4State
03-10-2022, 01:07 AM
Let's just assume Sims, Simmons, Hunt, and Walling are done for the year.

We're looking at Preston, Cade Smith, and Parker Stinnett as our rotation. I'd like to see them eventually slide Cade into the Friday spot.

We have no closer. And IMO we need either Mikey Tepper, Brooks Auger, or Jackson Fristoe to take that role. I think Fristoe needs to move to the bullpen anyway. Gives us another quality arm and he is good in his first inning at least as a starter. Auger has performed the best. I think Tepper may be a little shell shocked from that walk off home run against Tulane. Brandon Smith's numbers are not very good either. But I think it's because we overextend him some. Pico has performed very well. Cam Tullar had his best game of his career today. Maybe he is finally getting used to his new arm slot.

I'm not worried about midweek starter going forward. Either start Brandon Smith, Pico, or even Jack Walker and then throw the bullpen behind them.

Cooterpoot
03-10-2022, 06:25 AM
Those guys aren't all done. Fristoe has lost velo. I don't think he's ever going to be a major contributor. He already has control issues.
Foxhall has to earn his pay this year.

R2Dawg
03-10-2022, 07:29 AM
Silver lining look at this.

1. Great this gives us a good excuse for a suck year.

2. Gives us a chance to battle test the young arms for the future.

3. Chance to sign some good arms in next year's class for immediate playing time

Cowbell
03-10-2022, 08:00 AM

We're looking at Preston, Cade Smith, and Parker Stinnett as our rotation. I'd like to see them eventually slide Cade into the Friday spot.

We have no closer. And IMO we need either Mikey Tepper, Brooks Auger, or Jackson Fristoe to take that role. I think Fristoe needs to move to the bullpen anyway. Gives us another quality arm and he is good in his first inning at least as a starter. Auger has performed the best. I think Tepper may be a little shell shocked from that walk off home run against Tulane. Brandon Smith's numbers are not very good either. But I think it's because we overextend him some. Pico has performed very well. Cam Tullar had his best game of his career today. Maybe he is finally getting used to his new arm slot.

I'm not worried about midweek starter going forward. Either start Brandon Smith, Pico, or even Jack Walker and then throw the bullpen behind them.

This is a bad take made off bad assumptions

Maroonthirteen
03-10-2022, 12:26 PM
Man, a D1 athlete better be pissed off he gave up a HR and chomping at the bit to get back out there prove he can compete. (I didn't see him v TT, just his stats). But I bet cha Tepper can't wait to pitch again.

We shall see what the rotation is this weekend but based on PT so far..... Johnson, Smith and Stinnett. I'd rather see Kohn as the Sunday starter to have a lefty in the rotation but.... I imagine Pico, BSmith, Tuller will be middle/long relievers. Then closer by committee until Simmons can get back. Fristoe will be a midweek starter.

MaroonFlounder
03-10-2022, 01:17 PM
Coaching up a pitcher regarding location is a catch-22.

"THROW STRIKES!"
"OK Coach"
"You're giving up too many hits and hard contact!"
"Ump isn't giving me the corners, Coach!"

Pitching coach is in a tough spot dealing with a young staff.

EdwardDrayton
03-10-2022, 02:21 PM

This dangerously dances the edge of a hypothetical.

I have enough trouble dealing with an uncertain reality.

StarkVegasSteve
03-10-2022, 04:27 PM

1) 3 of those 4 are not done for the year. You can guess which one is.
2) We have a couple of solid options at closer. I think Tepper would be my pick, but Talley could also be an option. He throws a ton of strikes.
3) Brandon Smith is hit or miss and has been his entire career. If his ball has good sink he is unhittable and if it flattens out he will get touched up.
4) Tullar was a bright spot yesterday. If he could learn to control his pitches I think he could be good for us. Lowered his ERA 12 pts yesterday.
5) Pico is going to be special and I would not be shocked in the least bit to see him slide into the Saturday role and have the starting rotation be Smith, Kohn, Stinnett. I love Preston and he gives us a great outing every time, but he is FAR more valuable out of the pen than starting. Especially with how depleted our pen is at the moment.