PDA

View Full Version : We're hitting exactly .250

confucius say
03-09-2022, 08:09 PM
We are exactly 25% of the way through the season.

Be interesting to see where that ends up, but I'm guessing bottom half of the league for sure.

Leeshouldveflanked
03-09-2022, 08:22 PM
Whole team looks like they are trying to pull the ball every swing.

basedog
03-09-2022, 08:23 PM
I was worried before the season how we handled winning the Natty. As we see not good at all.

Hunter Hines is the star, I sure wish our veterans would wake up!

Pancho
03-09-2022, 08:29 PM
musta no noticed kellum go oppo I guess.......

CaptainObvious
03-09-2022, 08:33 PM
musta no noticed kellum go oppo I guess.......

Even a Blind Squirrel finds an acorn every once in a while.

Coach34
03-09-2022, 08:35 PM
Upside?

The softball line-up gets more extra base hits. We are going to score in spurts more than we did last year. Example- we scored 9 runs in one inning Tuesday. We are explosive- but not consistent

confucius say
03-09-2022, 08:50 PM
We are last in the league doubles. By a wide margin. Only one team is close to us.
Next to last in triples.
11th in slugging.
We are tied for fourth in HR, so that is something.

confucius say
03-09-2022, 08:53 PM
And only KY and USCe have a higher era.

To be fair, schedules have differed. But we have some major improvements to make if we want to make a regional.

maroonmania
03-09-2022, 09:05 PM

To be fair, schedules have differed. But we have some major improvements to make if we want to make a regional.

Amazing how things change. Three weeks ago our goal was to win back to back NCs. Now we are hoping we can do enough just to get in a regional somewhere.

Homedawg
03-09-2022, 09:17 PM
At some point we have to get some clutch hits. Happened last night. But it's been rare. That has to change. Same way on other side. Can't put out a rally. Two on nobody out other team score every time. Or so it seams.

tcdog70
03-09-2022, 09:27 PM
The problem is we can’t hit shitty pitchers. We miss when we get a pitch to hit. Then swing at bad pitches. Our vets look like they have never played before. Today was an example of some shitty hitting. We had several chances to drive in runs. Only Brad and Hunter did their job. We won’t be playing post season unless something changes and changes quickly.

confucius say
03-09-2022, 09:36 PM
Amazing how things change. Three weeks ago our goal was to win back to back NCs. Now we are hoping we can do enough just to get in a regional somewhere.

Well this time last week I felt like we had the best weekend rotation in the league. So much for that.

My concerns were the pen and can we hit enough. Both of those are still major concerns.

maroonmania
03-09-2022, 09:37 PM
In 5 of our 14 games we have had 5 or less hits. That is just bad hitting at the college level.

Coach34
03-09-2022, 11:51 PM
In our last 5 games the softball line-up has scored 46 runs

Todd4State
03-09-2022, 11:53 PM
The problem is we can’t hit shitty pitchers. We miss when we get a pitch to hit. Then swing at bad pitches. Our vets look like they have never played before. Today was an example of some shitty hitting. We had several chances to drive in runs. Only Brad and Hunter did their job. We won’t be playing post season unless something changes and changes quickly.

MSU's kryptonite has always been sinker ball pitchers that throw under 85. I could definitely see us being put out by some mid major with a pitcher or two like that.

Todd4State
03-09-2022, 11:55 PM
Upside?

The softball line-up gets more extra base hits. We are going to score in spurts more than we did last year. Example- we scored 9 runs in one inning Tuesday. We are explosive- but not consistent

Yeah. We clearly have to stay with this lineup for now. Sure, we scored two runs today. "That's baseball". But the overall results since we switched have been very good. I can't think of much I would change anyway.

Commercecomet24
03-10-2022, 12:07 AM

Yeah the lineup is getting there offensively.

R2Dawg
03-10-2022, 07:32 AM

True, true. Lotta work

maroonmania
03-10-2022, 09:39 AM
Yeah the lineup is getting there offensively.

I hope so. Two of the last three games have been 5 hits or less. I'm hoping that the first 13 innings at Tulane where 29 of those 46 runs were scored wasn't a mirage. Take away that one 9 run inning Tuesday night and our offense since the 5th inning of the 2nd Tulane game has still been pretty anemic. In our last 32 innings outside of the one 9 run inning we have scored 8 runs total. Probably will need our first SEC weekend to really know where we are offensively.

confucius say
03-10-2022, 09:47 AM
There were also 18 mph winds blowing out at Tulane fwiw

basedog
03-10-2022, 10:22 AM
I don't think we will have any guy in our lineup to hit above .350, we have some power guys for sure but not anyone close to TA. Competitions is about to get real; I think we will get better overall but how much is to be seen. With a bunch of pitchers out for Lord knows how long, our hitters will have to wake up in consistency. So far, we have under-achieved big time, hopefully things turn around like a big winning streak. Last year we had several late inning rallies, this year we have not done well when we fall behind.

Coach34
03-10-2022, 10:58 AM
So far, we have under-achieved big time, hopefully things turn around like a big winning streak.

Our main guys aren't underachieving really- it's the new guys.

Logan is hitting .314
Cumbest .298
Hancock .294
Hines .367
James .277

Only James in that group is really below where they should be

Leggs .207
Foreskin .130
Yeager .176
Corder .174

Guys in the middle have been awful

Siebert .316
Clark .143
Downs .278

Clark and Yeager's slow starts have hurt but both seem to be having better AB's recently. But the dead outs to start from SS/2B/CF have been the killer for the line-up- which forced us to the "softball line-up".

We will hit with the line-up we have currently. Consistent pitching will be the key to how this bunch performs over the next 2 months.

basedog
03-10-2022, 11:11 AM
I should say underachieving with winning, 7-7 is not good. Logan, Cumbest, Hancock and James need to step it up more. all strikeout way too much except Hancock, and they gotta produce more. Not sure if any of those guys will hit above .300 this year (maybe Logan). I hope I am wrong big time.

Yes, pitching seems to be a probably as far as the pen. I really like our lefthanded Freshman Pico.

Commercecomet24
03-10-2022, 11:17 AM
Our main guys aren't underachieving really- it's the new guys.

Logan is hitting .314
Cumbest .298
Hancock .294
Hines .367
James .277

Only James in that group is really below where they should be

Leggs .207
Foreskin .130
Yeager .176
Corder .174

Guys in the middle have been awful

Siebert .316
Clark .143
Downs .278

Clark and Yeager's slow starts have hurt but both seem to be having better AB's recently. But the dead outs to start from SS/2B/CF have been the killer for the line-up- which forced us to the "softball line-up".

We will hit with the line-up we have currently. Consistent pitching will be the key to how this bunch performs over the next 2 months.

Good post and I agree on all points. Yeager hit well against Tulane and then we didn't start him against TT which was odd, and it looks like Clark is starting to come on as well. You're right consistent pitching, mostly out of the pen, will decide how well we do this season.

parabrave
03-10-2022, 11:24 AM
At some point we have to get some clutch hits. Happened last night. But it's been rare. That has to change. Same way on other side. Can't put out a rally. Two on nobody out other team score every time. Or so it seams.

This is our biggest problem. Our RISP sucks. At least 4 times we have had bases loaded and got zilch. I remember a few years ago when Mcfee got up to bat with a runner in scoring position I had confidence he would get a hit. Don't have that with anyone this year/