PDA

View Full Version : Pitching injury update

somebodyshotmypaw
03-09-2022, 07:50 AM
Lemonis says Sims, Hunt, and Simmons are all being looked at medically and we will have an update in a few days.

BiscuitEater
03-09-2022, 08:06 AM
Who throws today?

Really Clark?
03-09-2022, 08:09 AM
Wonder if they had MRI's and they are inconclusive. Partial tears of UCL don't always show up

KOdawg1
03-09-2022, 08:16 AM
From all indications, Sims is done.

Hunt was supposedly not far from coming back.

I have no idea on Simmons.

Coach34
03-09-2022, 09:24 AM
not sure how good the intel is but the chatter is dont expect Simmons anytime soon

Activated Alpha
03-09-2022, 09:51 AM
not sure how good the intel is but the chatter is dont expect Simmons anytime soon

Did Simmons report tightness before the 9th inning on Saturday? Because that would explain Lemonis for pulling him. Hopefully it's nothing too serious because we need him badly

Commercecomet24
03-09-2022, 09:55 AM
Did Simmons report tightness before the 9th inning on Saturday? Because that would explain Lemonis for pulling him. Hopefully it's nothing too serious because we need him badly

Yeah that's why they took him out.

AlSwearengen
03-09-2022, 10:35 AM
Simms was bowling the ball back to the dugout from his 1B coaching box last night and seemed to be having a good time. I know shit about having a UCL injury but a sore arm (muscle soreness, not an injury) from pitching a couple days before caused me to baby my arm more than he was doing.

SilentSteel16
03-09-2022, 10:45 AM
UCL injuries do not immobilize your arm. Him under handing a ball last night is a natural motion for your arm without even manipulating your elbow. Overhead or sidearm movement requires more than 30 degree change of direction and a downward motion (totally unnatural). I have worked with and seen close to 100 ucl injures and none of them were the same. One was even a complete disconnect rupture and that guy actually was bowling with the team(stupid) one week after the injury. He actually came back the next year and finished 5th in Cy Young standings.

If Sims is smart, which it seems he is, he is done with mound work for the next 8 months. Partial or even a pull on it, would mean millions off during the draft.

Hot Rock
03-09-2022, 11:32 AM
Who throws today?

Fristoe, or so I heard yesterday.

Homedawg
03-09-2022, 11:53 AM
UCL injuries do not immobilize your arm. Him under handing a ball last night is a natural motion for your arm without even manipulating your elbow. Overhead or sidearm movement requires more than 30 degree change of direction and a downward motion (totally unnatural). I have worked with and seen close to 100 ucl injures and none of them were the same. One was even a complete disconnect rupture and that guy actually was bowling with the team(stupid) one week after the injury. He actually came back the next year and finished 5th in Cy Young standings.

If Sims is smart, which it seems he is, he is done with mound work for the next 8 months. Partial or even a pull on it, would mean millions off during the draft.

He's not going to throw in that time frame. But, his injury is what it is, and it will matter come draft time, which is well before 8 months. He's still a first rounder but going top 10-15 isn't very likely.

SilentSteel16
03-09-2022, 12:01 PM
8 months is the minimum timeframe for a tear of any type of flexor tendon. Of course my information is over 10 years old considering I have been out of the profession since then. But 8 months was the minimum then, regardless he will shut himself down until then. And you are fooling yourself if you don’t think that will not factor into a teams decision on waiting on him for later in draft. Sims IS a 1st round draft pick, but depending on how much damage is done.

SilentSteel16
03-09-2022, 12:02 PM
By the way I am talking about overhand tossing, this is NOT mound work or even flat ground work. I am referencing overhand tossing.

Homedawg
03-09-2022, 01:13 PM
8 months is the minimum timeframe for a tear of any type of flexor tendon. Of course my information is over 10 years old considering I have been out of the profession since then. But 8 months was the minimum then, regardless he will shut himself down until then. And you are fooling yourself if you don’t think that will not factor into a teams decision on waiting on him for later in draft. Sims IS a 1st round draft pick, but depending on how much damage is done.

What are you talking about??? I said he won't be throwing in that time frame..... meaning not off the mound. I also said this injury will hurt his draft stock..... I think i was clear.

SilentSteel16
03-09-2022, 01:16 PM
What are you talking about??? I said he won't be throwing in that time frame..... meaning not off the mound. I also said this injury will hurt his draft stock..... I think i was clear.

Sorry I must have misread your message, it has been a long night

Homedawg
03-09-2022, 01:20 PM
By the way I am talking about overhand tossing, this is NOT mound work or even flat ground work. I am referencing overhand tossing.

But, if he has to have TJ, he will be tossing before 8 months.. Rehab throwing begins before that.

R2Dawg
03-09-2022, 01:24 PM
Simms was bowling the ball back to the dugout from his 1B coaching box last night and seemed to be having a good time. I know shit about having a UCL injury but a sore arm (muscle soreness, not an injury) from pitching a couple days before caused me to baby my arm more than he was doing.

I thought the same thing. He shouldn't even be in a position to use the arm or get hit on first base. Strange to me other than what I got from a dugout person that initially they didn't think it was serious.

No one knows for sure yet till MRI and other evaluations are done. Right now they saw nothing that said Sims is done. No one really knows. Sims won't get detail look until they return from coast.

SilentSteel16
03-09-2022, 01:25 PM
Like I said earlier, 10 years ago it was 8 months. I can only comment on what I know for fact based on the way it was then. Based on the way he is carrying himself it is most certainly a flexor tendon, only question is severity and which one

Todd4State
03-09-2022, 11:47 PM
Wonder if they had MRI's and they are inconclusive. Partial tears of UCL don't always show up

No. Most likely just want to get the MSU doctors to look at it. And then I'm guessing they may go to UAB for a second opinion. Getting a doctor in NOLA who wouldn't even be treating the injury or transporting Sims and Simmons back to Starkville/Columbus for imaging would have been a waste of time. Just get it when they get back.

Todd4State
03-09-2022, 11:49 PM
Like I said earlier, 10 years ago it was 8 months. I can only comment on what I know for fact based on the way it was then. Based on the way he is carrying himself it is most certainly a flexor tendon, only question is severity and which one

The really odd thing about Sims injury was his fingers were blood red. Apparently someone talked to a family member who also confirmed that too. Honestly, I thought he was bleeding at first from where I was sitting which was a good ways a way to be fair.

Kind of makes me wonder if there may be a circulation issue going on?