PDA

View Full Version : I haven?t minced words on Stinnett

Coach34
03-08-2022, 10:26 PM
He has been awful in relief for the most part

But the guy got the start tonight and responded very well. He looked like a different guy up there as a SP. Its one start and you can?t make too much of it- but some guys are more comfortable as a starter and some love the relief roles.

He apparently likes the SP role. We may have found SP #3 or at least a consistent midweek SP.

Good job PFS as JDog calls him

Activated Alpha
03-08-2022, 10:28 PM
Great job by Lemonis for trusting him unlike all of us and throwing him out there as a starter. I fully admit, I was a complete doubter but he shoved that crow down our throats and made us enjoy it....

Homedawg
03-08-2022, 10:28 PM
He has been awful in relief for the most part

But the guy got the start tonight and responded very well. He looked like a different guy up there as a SP. Its one start and you can?t make too much of it- but some guys are more comfortable as a starter and some love the relief roles.

He apparently likes the SP role. We may have found SP #3 or at least a consistent midweek SP.

Good job PFS as JDog calls him

Lem made a good point in the post game. After two walks you have to take him out in relief. In the second you don't. But he's not a reliever Bc of that. Same reason Fristoe and walling aren't either.

Commercecomet24
03-08-2022, 10:29 PM
Yeah some guys can't relieve and some can't start. It's obvious he was way more comfortable starting than relieving

Commercecomet24
03-08-2022, 10:29 PM
Lem made a good point in the post game. After two walks you have to take him out in relief. In the second you don't. But he's not a reliever Bc of that. Same reason Fristoe and walling aren't either.

Nailed it.

BeardoMSU
03-08-2022, 10:57 PM
I was impressed tonight for sure. He still MUST get his walks down; in the SEC, that will bite our ass.

Todd4State
03-08-2022, 11:30 PM
Sometimes you try things and they work. I'm glad for Parker and MSU that this looks like it might work. We need someone that can fill a weekend spot and if Stinnett can pitch like that he would be completely fine as a Sunday guy for us.

Some guys I think do better with a set routine and more time to get ready. That's why some guys are better at starting than coming in relief where you have a short time to get ready. Sometimes it's completely mental.

Todd4State
03-08-2022, 11:37 PM

We might have to look at them as a reliever in some capacity. Walling was a relief pitcher at Oregon State and did OK. Fristoe is pretty good the first time through the order against both USM and Arkansas Pine Bluff.

If they can't do it they can't do it. But I think it's worth exploring.

We wouldn't have known that Stinnett may be an option at starter had we not tried that tonight.

somebodyshotmypaw
03-09-2022, 07:37 AM
Here is the deal. Stinnett has good stuff. Everybody knows it. And our pitching depth is limited. To win in May and June we have to develop more pitchers. So Lemonis has to put Stinett out there and let him develop and work through it. He has to put him out there even if his ERA is over 10.00. We can’t enter May and June with 4 or 5 pitchers. You can’t just pitch your good pitchers in February and March. If you do, that’s all you will have in May and they will be hurt or worn down. You have to develop the ineffective pitchers. They have to develop Stinnett, Tullar, Walker, etc,

maroonmania
03-09-2022, 08:25 AM
Some guys just don't deal very well with coming out and immediately pitching in high pressure situations. Stinnett is apparently one of them.

Homedawg
03-09-2022, 08:26 AM
We might have to look at them as a reliever in some capacity. Walling was a relief pitcher at Oregon State and did OK. Fristoe is pretty good the first time through the order against both USM and Arkansas Pine Bluff.

If they can't do it they can't do it. But I think it's worth exploring.

We wouldn't have known that Stinnett may be an option at starter had we not tried that tonight.

Meaning the same reason Fristoe and walling aren't relievers. Fristoe started against usm. And yeah w our health of the pitching staff we are going to have to get something out of them.

Tbonewannabe
03-09-2022, 10:41 AM
Here is the deal. Stinnett has good stuff. Everybody knows it. And our pitching depth is limited. To win in May and June we have to develop more pitchers. So Lemonis has to put Stinett out there and let him develop and work through it. He has to put him out there even if his ERA is over 10.00. We can’t enter May and June with 4 or 5 pitchers. You can’t just pitch your good pitchers in February and March. If you do, that’s all you will have in May and they will be hurt or worn down. You have to develop the ineffective pitchers. They have to develop Stinnett, Tullar, Walker, etc,

Arkansas last year will tell you that. No matter how good a pitcher is, you can't ride one guy to Omaha.

Coach34
03-09-2022, 11:03 AM
Arkansas last year will tell you that. No matter how good a pitcher is, you can't ride one guy to Omaha.

I agree with the overall premise but using UPig there doesnt really fit. They lost Game 3 of the Super 3-2. Their pitching did enough to get them to Omaha.

R2Dawg
03-09-2022, 01:27 PM
I have been critical of play so far as well. I think he showed why the staff keeps giving him a shot. Like Fristoe, he has the stuff just needs to get it together.

R2Dawg
03-09-2022, 01:29 PM

Agree. Something I think we should entertain is trying a few position players as relievers who have pitched before. All you need is a good pitch or two at most. Jake did it that year and we made CWS run short on pitching.

We all know the 85 closer Thigpen coming from OF.

Even if it is only a few outs just to throw strikes and get out of a jam. We have plenty of OF guys that can play.

WPS
03-09-2022, 01:56 PM
I agree with the overall premise but using UPig there doesnt really fit. They lost Game 3 of the Super 3-2. Their pitching did enough to get them to Omaha.

Wicklander was a really good ace too. Arkansas had the 3rd best ERA in the SEC, it wasn't all Kopps. Bats just got super cold at the wrong time.

somebodyshotmypaw
03-09-2022, 03:07 PM

I think a good example is Ole Miss. Early in the year they overused Hoglund, Diamond, Nikhazy, and Broadway. They relied on pitchers 1-6, and didn't do nearly enough to developer pitchers 7-14. Then Hoglund gets hurt and they enter regional play with an untested bullpen.

The bottom line is that for us to win in postseason play, we will have to get a big out, or a big inning from Tullar, or Tepper, or Stinett, or Talley, or Auger. We won't win anything depending solely on just our best 4-5 pitchers.

Saltydog
03-09-2022, 04:01 PM
Stinnett reminds me of Griff McGary, the pitcher from UVA that we faced in the CWS last year. Loses control from time to time but when on, can be electric.........

Turfdawg67
03-09-2022, 06:22 PM
I guess Lemonis turned that mirror on himself and agreed that he knew what he was doing.

Coach34
03-09-2022, 08:02 PM
I guess Lemonis turned that mirror on himself and agreed that he knew what he was doing.

This would be true had Stinnett started the season as a SP instead of being a bad RP