PDA

View Full Version : Sims, Hunt, and Simmons

confucius say
03-07-2022, 01:00 PM
Sims is done from all accounts.

Is hunt still expected back this week or next?

Any truth to the Simmons rumor of tightness?

KOdawg1
03-07-2022, 01:03 PM
Yes to Simmons. He's being checked out today.

Homedawg
03-07-2022, 01:05 PM
Thats 3 of our top 6/7 when the year started. HOpe KC gets back soon. We sure need him!

KOdawg1
03-07-2022, 01:12 PM
We need to give Walling another shot. I have no confidence in him at all, but we literally keep trotting Cam Tullar out there to walk dudes at 86 mph, so why not walk them at 95? There's always the slim chance it clicks for him and we have a dominant lefty. Let me dream.

662dawg
03-07-2022, 01:15 PM
We need to give Walling another shot. I have no confidence in him at all, but we literally keep trotting Cam Tullar out there to walk dudes at 86 mph, so why not walk them at 95? There's always the slim chance it clicks for him and we have a dominant lefty. Let me dream.

I approve of this

Tbonewannabe
03-07-2022, 01:30 PM

If we did lose Sims and Simmons for the year then we are getting to the point of why not give Walling a chance.

Choctaw Dawg
03-07-2022, 01:44 PM
Walling is going to have to play, but it should say a lot that he has only had one appearance this year. Seems the staff has very little trust in him, which is bad considering we insist on tossing Stinnett and Tullar out there

msstate7
03-07-2022, 01:59 PM
Man, and the mlbpa hold out doesn't look like it's ending soon. One. Long. Summer

Coach34
03-07-2022, 02:08 PM
We’ve likely lost Sims and losing the other 2 for significant time would pretty much do this team in. Losing 3 of your best arms is simply a killer

StarkVegasSteve
03-07-2022, 02:13 PM

I am of this thought too. Wild at 95 is a hell of a lot scarier for batters than wild at 86.

somebodyshotmypaw
03-07-2022, 02:15 PM
If we lose Sims, Hunt, and Simmons, we might see Everett Kennard on the mound throwing 50 mph knuckleballs during midweek games.

HoopsDawg
03-07-2022, 02:25 PM
So, here's what I would do this week...

I would start Fristoe and Kohn against Texas Tech. I would move PJ to Friday, Cade to Saturday. Brandon Smith to Sunday.

That's a decent starting 5. Pen is going to be tough: Auger, Tepper, Talley, Stinnett, Walker, Walling and Tullar.

Then just hope Simmons and Hunt come back soon. If we can get Hunt and Simmons back, we can piece a solid staff together on the weekends.

Todd4State
03-07-2022, 02:57 PM
Walling is going to have to play, but it should say a lot that he has only had one appearance this year. Seems the staff has very little trust in him, which is bad considering we insist on tossing Stinnett and Tullar out there

Really no difference between Walling, Stinnett, and Tullar at this point. Except two have been pitching every week.

If we lose Sims, Hunt, and Simmons, we might see Everett Kennard on the mound throwing 50 mph knuckleballs during midweek games.

I wouldn't be surprised if a random student could learn a knuckleball off of YouTube and do just as well as Tullar.

I would start Fristoe and Kohn against Texas Tech. I would move PJ to Friday, Cade to Saturday. Brandon Smith to Sunday.

That's a decent starting 5. Pen is going to be tough: Auger, Tepper, Talley, Stinnett, Walker, Walling and Tullar.

Then just hope Simmons and Hunt come back soon. If we can get Hunt and Simmons back, we can piece a solid staff together on the weekends.

Really bad time to play Texas Tech or anyone twice. We'll almost certainly lose one and probably two. At some point I think Kohn will move to Sunday. I would seriously consider using Fristoe out of the bullpen as well. We should be able to Johnny Wholestaff/bullpen game midweeks for awhile until Hunt and Simmons hopefully come back.

Thats 3 of our top 6/7 when the year started. HOpe KC gets back soon. We sure need him!

And I hope they recover soon. If they're at rehab level they won't help us too much. Referring to Hunt and Simmons- not Sims.

basedog
03-07-2022, 03:04 PM
Hunt may be back later this week or next or at least that is the rumor. Simmons having tightness maybe short lived hopefully and be back soon. Getting those two back would be huge. The thing about Hunt was he had a very good fall and pre-spring which means nothing the way we are swinging the bats right now.
What a hangover from the Natty but worth it when we recovery to Mississippi State baseball again.

Cowbell
03-07-2022, 03:18 PM
Hunt may be back later this week or next or at least that is the rumor. Simmons having tightness maybe short lived hopefully and be back soon. Getting those two back would be huge. The thing about Hunt was he had a very good fall and pre-spring which means nothing the way we are swinging the bats right now.
What a hangover from the Natty but worth it when we recovery to Mississippi State baseball again.

What you hearing on Sims?

FISHDAWG
03-07-2022, 03:34 PM

a poster on another board claimed he has to have Tommy John ... not sure how trustworthy that is ... claims it came from Rosie - see below

"Rosebowl says that “unofficially” Landon Sims’ Mississippi State career is over
Official word to come this week. Tommy John surgery to take place. Scouts still project him as a first round pick."

basedog
03-07-2022, 03:53 PM

Things are somewhat quite but I suppose it's the wait and see about extent of injury.

Cowbell
03-07-2022, 03:55 PM
Things are somewhat quite but I suppose it's the wait and see about extent of injury.

Thank you

basedog
03-07-2022, 03:55 PM
Also one thing I respect about Lemonis and Foxhall, they aren't gonna push a kid out to pitch with the chance it ruins their career. If I'm "guessing" I also think he is done at Msu.

confucius say
03-07-2022, 04:00 PM

That's the worst pen in the league.

I'd leave PJ on Saturday and Cade on Sunday. Throw off on Friday. That's our best chance to win 2 of 3 once sec play starts.

Saltydog
03-07-2022, 04:10 PM
a poster on another board claimed he has to have Tommy John ... not sure how trustworthy that is ... claims it came from Rosie - see below

"Rosebowl says that ?unofficially? Landon Sims? Mississippi State career is over
Official word to come this week. Tommy John surgery to take place. Scouts still project him as a first round pick."

I doubt Rosie is wrong on this one. I'd be SHOCKED if he pitched any this year, much less in 4 weeks as some speculated. Blisters can take a while to heal*****

basedog
03-07-2022, 04:31 PM
Btw, if it was me, I would start Brandon Smith Tuesday, let him go 4 innings, if possible, then I might start him this Sunday. I know we need some middle relivers but IF we are still experimenting why not? Fristoe would start Wednesday, maybe go 3 or innings and he would be the next man up for this Sunday as a starter.

HoopsDawg
03-07-2022, 04:32 PM
Btw, if it was me, I would start Brandon Smith Tuesday, let him go 4 innings, if possible, then I might start him this Sunday. I know we need some middle relivers but IF we are still experimenting why not? Fristoe would start Wednesday, maybe go 3 or innings and he would be the next man up for this Sunday as a starter.

These 2 midweek games are tougher than our weekend opponents and it's cruical we get at least 1 win.

basedog
03-07-2022, 04:41 PM
These 2 midweek games are tougher than our weekend opponents and it's cruical we get at least 1 win.

I agree and I would go with experience Tuesday and Wednesday, but we need to be 4-1 if possible the next 5 games.

HoopsDawg
03-07-2022, 04:45 PM
I agree and I would go with experience Tuesday and Wednesday, but we need to be 4-1 if possible the next 5 games.

Brandon threw 48 pitches Friday. So with 3 days, he could probably go another 3-4 Tuesday. Not sure. Really need a quality start from Fristoe.

StarkVegasSteve
03-07-2022, 05:20 PM
My guess is we go either Brandon Smith/Fristoe on Tuesday and go either Fristoe/Kohn on Wednesday. Fristoe is going to draw one of those starts. We need him now more than ever to step up and be a Sunday guy for us.

R2Dawg
03-07-2022, 07:42 PM
That's the worst pen in the league.

I'd leave PJ on Saturday and Cade on Sunday. Throw off on Friday. That's our best chance to win 2 of 3 once sec play starts.

Agree throw pen or whoever on Friday and try to win Sat Sun. Only way to go.

Percho
03-07-2022, 10:57 PM
Bring back Henderson

Todd4State
03-07-2022, 11:53 PM
Bring back Henderson

Can we bring in Tennessee's pitching coach instead? He seems to be doing a pretty good job there.