PDA

View Full Version : Question for the board...

CadaverDawg
03-06-2022, 05:46 PM
It looks like we aren't going to be competing for another SEC title in baseball this year.

Our basketball team was once again not a contender this year

Our football team isn't a threat, and most of our fans agree we won't win big this year

What is our goal in MSU athletics? I know you can't fire guys every time we don't win big....but I'm asking what our goal is, and do we have guys in place that we feel could potentially accomplish that goal if the cards fell right?

In baseball, clearly he's safe bc he just proved it.

But does anybody really think we could compete for a shot at a SEC title in football or basketball at any point in the next 3-5+ seasons under Leach and Howland? If so, fair enough. If no, what are we doing?

On a weekend where Lemonis lost his luster in a hurry...I'm thinking about our other 2 programs, and it is clear to me that we need a shot of youth and energy in those two programs. Hopefully Howland is out and we can add some there this off-season...but what happens if we go 5-7 or 6-6 in football? How long are y'all willing to watch the Leach experience win 5-7 games? Is that our goal? Is that our expectation now? Are we cool with that?

I'm not. But curious if y'all are

Todd4State
03-06-2022, 05:54 PM
All I'll say is we will never compete for a championship in football as long as Saban is around. My hope is a 10-11 win season with a NY6 bowl win.

We still have the same goal for baseball. National Championships. If Foxhall can't do better, I better fire his ass and make Vanderbilt's pitching coach an offer he can't refuse or hire someone from the Wes Johnson/Brent Strom tree.

CadaverDawg
03-06-2022, 05:56 PM
All I'll say is we will never compete for a championship in football as long as Saban is around. My hope is a 10-11 win season with a NY6 bowl win.

We still have the same goal for baseball. National Championships. If Foxhall can't do better, I better fire his ass and make Vanderbilt's pitching coach an offer he can't refuse or hire someone from the Wes Johnson/Brent Strom tree.

Fair enough. Do you think Leach can win 10-11 and a NY6 Bowl at MSU?

R2Dawg
03-06-2022, 05:58 PM
There must be some change coming in a few spots. At least one in a few months. Possibly one or two more come end of this year if something doesn't change.

maroonmania
03-06-2022, 06:00 PM

We've won one SEC football title 80 years ago. Winning an SEC title in football can't be the realistic measuring stick for our football coach.

BrunswickDawg
03-06-2022, 06:00 PM
For football the best we can hope for is to be competitive 7-8 win team and every 5-6 years get 9 regular season wins. It just is the truth with our resources and the league we play in.

Basketball we can be a top 5 team in the SEC, but could actually win a title with the right coach and a veteran laden team.

Todd4State
03-06-2022, 06:04 PM

I don't know. Maybe. He has taken Texas Tech and Wazzu to seasons similar to that. I think the potential is there.

I think our team was a mess when he took over and then he is such an extreme shift from what we "normally" consider MSU football. He won some big games last year even though it was a disappointing season. Texas A&M, Kentucky, and Auburn. If our kicker hadn't gotten hurt we probably have an ever better season. That's pretty bad luck honestly. We improved a lot from his first year to his second and we filled most of our holes this offseason.

My biggest concern is his apathy towards games in general. I actually liked how Dan prioritized the Egg Bowl early in his career. I probably would have just fired Washington this offseason and hired an elite ST coach- moving him to RB doesn't make a lot of sense to me. I hope the next coach we hire focuses more on recruiting than our last three or four.

CadaverDawg
03-06-2022, 06:05 PM
For football the best we can hope for is to be competitive 7-8 win team and every 5-6 years get 9 regular season wins. It just is the truth with our resources and the league we play in.

Basketball we can be a top 5 team in the SEC, but could actually win a title with the right coach and a veteran laden team.

Fair enough. Do you feel Leach will win 7-8 games per year, and 9 every 5-6 years?

Quaoarsking
03-06-2022, 06:10 PM
Fair enough. Do you feel Leach will win 7-8 games per year, and 9 every 5-6 years?

His resume suggests that he probably will. If he can't, there's going to be a very small group of coaches out there who can.

CadaverDawg
03-06-2022, 06:11 PM
His resume suggests that he probably will. If he can't, there's going to be a very small group of coaches out there who can.

I didn't ask about his resume. I said do you think he can/will at MSU?

parabrave
03-06-2022, 06:22 PM

NO.

BrunswickDawg
03-06-2022, 06:25 PM

Yeah I do. I think we still had holes in our roster for what he wants to do and were a healthy kicker from 9 wins this year.

I think another major thing for all of our programs is reasonable stability. We have to build differently than most programs and changing coaches every 4 years will never let us build.

Commercecomet24
03-06-2022, 06:25 PM
I believe leach can win 6-8 every year with a shot to win 9-10 every 5-6 years. In basketball we've showed we can be very good with the right coach, but that's the key is finding the right guy and I believe we can become a top 5 sec type team.

BrunswickDawg
03-06-2022, 06:26 PM
NO.

Well, he'll be in the same company of pretty much every coach/team we've ever had then.

Commercecomet24
03-06-2022, 06:27 PM
Yeah I do. I think we still had holes in our roster for what he wants to do and were a healthy kicker from 9 wins this year.

I think another major thing for all of our programs is reasonable stability. We have to build differently than most programs and changing coaches every 4 years will never let us build.

Man having Ruiz hurt really cost us we could've had 8 wins for sure and a 5-3 sec record and possibly 9 wins. I believe Ruiz only missed 2 fgs the whole season before. He was money and his injury killed us.

Bothrops
03-06-2022, 06:34 PM
MSU must be at an all time low at sports at the moment. I don't remember losing consistently at every damn thing.

BrunswickDawg
03-06-2022, 06:35 PM
MSU must be at an all time low at sports at the moment. I don't remember losing consistently at every damn thing.

You must not be very old

State82
03-06-2022, 06:48 PM
No.

State82
03-06-2022, 06:51 PM
50/50 shot

EdwardDrayton
03-06-2022, 06:56 PM

Not with Will Rogers I don’t. He either is all in with Will or he was unable to corral (no pun intended) a QB to plug in immediately. Either way he better hope Will works out or Leach may not get a chance to show us he can consistently win. And don’t get me wrong, Will is a good kid but just think we’ve seen everything he has to offer.

SteelCurtain74
03-06-2022, 07:14 PM
Yes. The floor should be 7 wins in football with the ceiling at 10. With that expectation you are asking him to win 3 - 4 conference games a year.

For basketball we should be a tournament team 3 out of 5 years. We have seen what the right coach can do for a program (Vic) and what the wrong coach can do to a program (Rick Ray).

Baseball should be a tournament team every year.

BuckyIsAB****
03-06-2022, 07:26 PM

He has done that already.

I will never understand the Leach hate on here. His worst loss is by far the egg this past year and even in it, the weather was awful and we literally dropped 3 TDs and missed 2 FGs?

Leach is going to win here.

BuckyIsAB****
03-06-2022, 07:30 PM
36 TDs vs 9 picks

26th in the nation in the all time favorite stat QBR?

He doesnt live up to our QB standards

KOdawg1
03-06-2022, 07:35 PM
I don't think the air raid in its current form can win 9-10 games in the SEC. I'll go on record in saying that.

I think Leach will consistently win 6-7 with maybe 8 every few years, but ultimately, you've got an older coach who is at the end of his career and has shown no ability to adapt to the toughest league in the country. We also continue to recruit around 27 in the rankings which is good for last in the West most years, so our talent profile isn't changing.

Add in NIL, the transfer portal, the changing game of recruiting, and our universities habit of being behind in literally anything positive, and I think we'll continue to be a mediocre program. Hate to be so doom and gloom, but it's the way I see it. Hopefully Leach will prove me wrong.

Leeshouldveflanked
03-06-2022, 07:36 PM
Change at the top of the Athletics Department is overdue. Cohen should have never been hired. He wasnt qualified to be the AD at Millsaps much less an SEC school. There is no reason MSU cant be a top 20-30 program in every sport with the SEC money that we get.

CadaverDawg
03-06-2022, 07:36 PM
He has done that already.

I will never understand the Leach hate on here. His worst loss is by far the egg this past year and even in it, the weather was awful and we literally dropped 3 TDs and missed 2 FGs?

Leach is going to win here.

Well, technically he hasn't. He was 4-7 and hasn't sniffed 9 so far. One 7 win season.

The jury is fully still out. And I wasn't hating Leach...I simply asked a question, bc I'd like to know if folks think he will meet our goals here.

Goals.....not be what our history has been, or be ok, or be above .500....unless that's our goal. I want to know if you think he can meet whatever goal you have for our football program.

BeardoMSU
03-06-2022, 07:47 PM

At his age, maybe 1, which would be huge, but we shouldn't leverage our future in terms of what the next guy will inherit.

OLJWales
03-06-2022, 07:56 PM
There's no reason to not expect JWS & Mullen results and no reason not being being top tier in hoops in the west.

BuckyIsAB****
03-06-2022, 08:03 PM
Well, technically he hasn't. He was 4-7 and hasn't sniffed 9 so far. One 7 win season.

The jury is fully still out. And I wasn't hating Leach...I simply asked a question, bc I'd like to know if folks think he will meet our goals here.

Goals.....not be what our history has been, or be ok, or be above .500....unless that's our goal. I want to know if you think he can meet whatever goal you have for our football program.

If the COVID year was a normal full 12 games we would have been at the least 6-6. We won 3 SEC games. Mullen did that a lot and we wanted to pay him 7 million dollars and build a statue.

I absolutely think he can do it. I think he is a kicker and a horse shit call at Memphis away from being coach of the year already

Bothrops
03-06-2022, 10:04 PM
You must not be very old

Kinda old

CadaverDawg
03-06-2022, 10:07 PM
If the COVID year was a normal full 12 games we would have been at the least 6-6. We won 3 SEC games. Mullen did that a lot and we wanted to pay him 7 million dollars and build a statue.

I absolutely think he can do it. I think he is a kicker and a horse shit call at Memphis away from being coach of the year already

If my Aunt had balls, she'd be my Uncle. We also had multiple victories we easily could have lost had the ball not bounced our way.

Quaoarsking
03-06-2022, 10:07 PM

Yes I do. And my reason is because his resume suggests he will.

BuckyIsAB****
03-06-2022, 10:46 PM
If my Aunt had balls, she'd be my Uncle. We also had multiple victories we easily could have lost had the ball not bounced our way.

Its crazy how we choose to defend what we like and discredit what we dont

Bdawg
03-07-2022, 08:58 AM

Don't forget the 4th down PI call at AR either.

Cadaver, I would say the calls that went against us were way more harmful to us than any breaks we may have gotten. The one AR call directly attributed to a loss on one play.

SilentSteel16
03-07-2022, 09:27 AM
Here is the deal, State will never be a true blue blood across all sports. There are hardly any that are. CML does have the potential to have a 10 win season, Rogers is his QB, if he wasn’t then you would have seen a change this year. Clearly the other QBs on the roster are not beating Rogers out. I really do think that some of y’all have very UNREALISTIC goals for our athletic program. We have one (1) premier program at State, yet there are some on here who still want to think we are a football school. We have been, are and will always be a baseball school. All other sports are there due to our affiliation with the SEC. Take SEC away from their jerseys and we will in a battle with Memphis and USM on a very even playing field all year long regardless of the sport. Granted we lost to both of those this year but USM has always had a solid baseball program.

Name one school you would like to mimic in success over all sports success wise…. I will wait.

Alabama has football, that is it. You could throw womens softball in there too
Michigan, Notre Dame, Ohio State, UCLA who are you thinking is successful in every sport.

As much as it pains me to say I believe the only program that is year in and year out highly competitive across the board is LSU and we will never reach that level due simply to having two SEC schools competing for all commits. LSU has a monopoly on the state and that is not changing. If we could have first dibs on all MS athletes we could get close but that will never happen.

Very long winded post on my part but some of you are just delusional and have very unrealistic views of our programs both currently and historically.

BoomBoom
03-07-2022, 11:12 AM
It looks like we aren't going to be competing for another SEC title in baseball this year.

Our basketball team was once again not a contender this year

Our football team isn't a threat, and most of our fans agree we won't win big this year

What is our goal in MSU athletics? I know you can't fire guys every time we don't win big....but I'm asking what our goal is, and do we have guys in place that we feel could potentially accomplish that goal if the cards fell right?

In baseball, clearly he's safe bc he just proved it.

But does anybody really think we could compete for a shot at a SEC title in football or basketball at any point in the next 3-5+ seasons under Leach and Howland? If so, fair enough. If no, what are we doing?

On a weekend where Lemonis lost his luster in a hurry...I'm thinking about our other 2 programs, and it is clear to me that we need a shot of youth and energy in those two programs. Hopefully Howland is out and we can add some there this off-season...but what happens if we go 5-7 or 6-6 in football? How long are y'all willing to watch the Leach experience win 5-7 games? Is that our goal? Is that our expectation now? Are we cool with that?

I'm not. But curious if y'all are

For football, goal should be a program that wins 8-10 per year, with the longshot chance of more if we luck into a generational talent. NOT a program built to win 8 but could never beat a top 10 team. I'm fine with Leach for now, with a kinda-good-for-MSU defense he's probably there. But he may end up being too limited for this goal.

Basketball goal is basically the same. A program built to be top 25 or so, with an outside chance to do more with a generational talent.

The key here is a coach that can perform in the biggest games. NOT a program coach that doesn't game plan well against top teams (aka Mullen and Stans). Playing Bama will always be like converting a 3rd and 20, we at least need a coach that doesn't run a draw and punt as the game plan.

Maroonthirteen
03-07-2022, 12:04 PM

No kidding. There is always an excuse for Leach.

Here's the deal on Leach..... some State fans will say we have bigger fish to fry than OM. However Leach is 0-2 v OM with a loss to Memphis and bowl game thrashing. That's the here and now on Leach. Realistically the difference in 1991 and 2021 was the Egg bowl. However 1991 will always be remembered as a good because Jackie fought Bama to the final second and beat OM.

Leach has to beat OM in 2022. Covid. 43 guys. Opt outs. Blah, blah, blah. Save it. Beat Ole Miss!!!!

If he wins 7 games a year and splits with OM, he has a job. 7 wins and beat OM 60%, statue. 7 wins and lose every damn year to OM, he walks the plank. That's the reality of the MSU football program.

BuckyIsAB****
03-07-2022, 07:56 PM
I agree he has to beat OM this year. Im not saying he is done if not but its must win. He will get it done.

I will say that he cant catch the ball for the kids bc if he could we would have won it this year. He also cant kick for the kids either or change calls that stole 2 from us.

Leach is going to prove a lot of folks on here wrong

Catfish
03-07-2022, 08:58 PM
I agree he has to beat OM this year. Im not saying he is done if not but its must win. He will get it done.

I will say that he cant catch the ball for the kids bc if he could we would have won it this year. He also cant kick for the kids either or change calls that stole 2 from us.

Agree!

CadaverDawg
03-07-2022, 09:08 PM
Here is the deal, State will never be a true blue blood across all sports. There are hardly any that are. CML does have the potential to have a 10 win season, Rogers is his QB, if he wasn’t then you would have seen a change this year. Clearly the other QBs on the roster are not beating Rogers out. I really do think that some of y’all have very UNREALISTIC goals for our athletic program. We have one (1) premier program at State, yet there are some on here who still want to think we are a football school. We have been, are and will always be a baseball school. All other sports are there due to our affiliation with the SEC. Take SEC away from their jerseys and we will in a battle with Memphis and USM on a very even playing field all year long regardless of the sport. Granted we lost to both of those this year but USM has always had a solid baseball program.

Name one school you would like to mimic in success over all sports success wise…. I will wait.

Alabama has football, that is it. You could throw womens softball in there too
Michigan, Notre Dame, Ohio State, UCLA who are you thinking is successful in every sport.

As much as it pains me to say I believe the only program that is year in and year out highly competitive across the board is LSU and we will never reach that level due simply to having two SEC schools competing for all commits. LSU has a monopoly on the state and that is not changing. If we could have first dibs on all MS athletes we could get close but that will never happen.

Very long winded post on my part but some of you are just delusional and have very unrealistic views of our programs both currently and historically.

So it's delusional to have a Goal of competing in the West? Nobody is saying we should be a blue blood....but If the majority of our fan base agrees with you, then why even attend games or support the team? If we aren't actually trying to put a competitive product on the field that can compete for Championships, why the F even suit up? Did any of you play competitive sports? I'm honestly stunned that so many of our fans mock and make fun of those of us that have a goal of competing in football. It CAN be done...we've done it. But it takes commitment and a coach that knows how to build a competitive SEC program.

How do you "some of you guys have too high of expectations" folks even watch State football if you don't ever think we can expect to be more than a 6-8 win team? How bout instead of saying "woe is us, poor MSU can't win in foosball"...instead we go hire a ****ing good young coach with some energy and a mission to make a name for himself, and we pump some damn money into his recruiting and facilities budget, and we try to RAISE the expectation around here? I can guarantee you those pricks up the road don't feel like they can only win 6-8 games, and guess what...that's why within a few years of sanctions they were RIGHT BACK in the Sugar Bowl. Because they have a goal, they expect to achieve it, and they do what's necessary to get it done. Meanwhile our lazy asses sit back and waste opportunity after opportunity to meet and exceed our own goals, but it's "okay" because "we shouldn't expect to have high expectations at MSU".....why??! F That, I want us to win big in football...why tf not us? I'll tell you why, because nobody in our admin feels the pressure to do it, so they don't. Cohen felt the pressure in baseball, and guess what happened....hmm.

bulldawg28
03-07-2022, 09:11 PM

He's not beating Ole Miss this year unless their transfers don't pan out. Leach doesn't care to beat them. He refuses to get involved in the rival. Kiffin plays along with Leach publicly but he understands.

CadaverDawg
03-07-2022, 09:21 PM
He's not beating Ole Miss this year unless their transfers don't pan out. Leach doesn't care to beat them. He refuses to get involved in the rival. Kiffin plays along with Leach publicly but he understands.

Yeah, we have a cartoon character head coach that makes funny comments and wins some games he shouldn't. But he also loses games he shouldn't, and nobody can honestly say they think Leach could compete for the West. We're literally just wasting time with Leach, when we should be in year 3 of a young energetic coach that could at least give us hopes of one day competing in this league again. I look at Shane Beamer and while I don't know if he will ever compete for the East, at least South Carolina fans have hope that they struck gold with the guy. He's young, energetic, recruits his ass off, and has that fan base All In. Meanwhile we have another guy at the tail end of his career, that gives you highs and lows and always loses to his rival, and our fan base is far from All In. Again, I know some disagree...but I feel like I'm just saying all the things everybody knows deep down they're feeling. Except BuckyIsABitch, of course.

BuckyIsAB****
03-07-2022, 09:22 PM

Thats just not true idk where this comes from but if yall think he didnt beat OM bc he doesnt care there isnt much to talk about.

You would be shocked to find out how much it doesnt hurt some of the kids to lose. That is the biggest problem with college football

BuckyIsAB****
03-07-2022, 09:24 PM
Yeah, we have a cartoon character head coach that makes funny comments and wins some games he shouldn't. But he also loses games he shouldn't, and nobody can honestly say they think Leach could compete for the West. We're literally just wasting time with Leach, when we should be in year 3 of a young energetic coach that could at least give us hopes of one day competing in this league again. I look at Shane Beamer and while I don't know if he will ever compete for the East, at least South Carolina fans have hope that they struck gold with the guy. He's young, energetic, recruits his ass off, and has that fan base All In. Meanwhile we have another guy at the tail end of his career, that gives you highs and lows and always loses to his rival, and our fan base is far from All In. Again, I know some disagree...but I feel like I'm just saying all the things everybody knows deep down they're feeling. Except BuckyIsABitch, of course.

We would beat South Carolina by 14 points.

Hardly any of this is true. We lost to Memphis when we got screwed we lost the rest bc our K got hurt and again got hosed at Arkansas. The football program is in the best shape it has been since 2017.

The biggest thing I agree with is that he has to beat OM this year. His worst loss is the egg this past year. Drops and no K cost us but he is the HC it all ends with him

CadaverDawg
03-07-2022, 09:26 PM

Hardly any of this is true. We lost to Memphis when we got screwed we lost the rest bc our K got hurt and again got hosed at Arkansas. The football program is in the best shape it has been since 2017

You completely missed the point if that's what you took from my post. But I'm not surprised...I'm just glad Leach isn't a Jerry Sandusky type, bc it would be weird watching you defend that.

CadaverDawg
03-07-2022, 09:28 PM
Thats just not true idk where this comes from but if yall think he didnt beat OM bc he doesnt care there isnt much to talk about.

You would be shocked to find out how much it doesnt hurt some of the kids to lose. That is the biggest problem with college football

That's a culture thing. Wonder who their coach is? Or who recruited these kids? That guy must be a bad judge of character*

Quaoarsking
03-07-2022, 10:01 PM
Nobody can honestly say they think Leach could compete for the West.

I am one of many counterexamples to your statement.

CadaverDawg
03-07-2022, 10:03 PM
I am one of many counterexamples to your statement.

At least 2. I'm aware

Quaoarsking
03-07-2022, 10:20 PM
At least 2. I'm aware

My personal motto is to follow facts instead of emotions. The facts say that Leach competed for division titles at his 2 previous jobs, so even if I hated Leach's guts, I would have no choice to admit that his history suggests he can do it here too.

BuckyIsAB****
03-08-2022, 06:21 PM
You completely missed the point if that's what you took from my post. But I'm not surprised...I'm just glad Leach isn't a Jerry Sandusky type, bc it would be weird watching you defend that.

I think the point was that youd rather have a young guy like SC has. One that recruits which Leach does, and you cant prove that SC is more all in than we are. That is an opinion. Leach vs Beamer at this point is not even really a fair comparison even if Beamer is younger.

If you would take him over Leach that wouldnt surprise me either. SC was great on offense this year*

BuckyIsAB****
03-08-2022, 06:23 PM
That's a culture thing. Wonder who their coach is? Or who recruited these kids? That guy must be a bad judge of character*

You just turned an everywhere problem into a Mike Leach problem.

Which again doesnt surprise me since you seem to think a multi time national coach of the year isnt as good as Shane Beamer

Leeshouldveflanked
03-08-2022, 06:32 PM
If Leach goes 6-6 or 7-5 one of his wins better be Ole Miss or Cohen has wasted a lot of money.

BuckyIsAB****
03-08-2022, 06:48 PM
Again just to clarify I agree that we have to beat them this year. 2020 was a wash IMO, last year was a bad loss. It is time

CadaverDawg
03-08-2022, 08:43 PM
You just turned an everywhere problem into a Mike Leach problem.

Which again doesnt surprise me since you seem to think a multi time national coach of the year isnt as good as Shane Beamer

Except I didn't say he was better, which shows that your defending of Leach is much better than your reading skills.

bulldawg28
03-09-2022, 02:38 AM

Leach is collecting checks. The reality is Ole Miss exposed his entire offense while beating us last year. Tech picked up the game film and did the exact same thing. If Leach doesn't change we'd be fortunate to win 6 games.

bulldawg28
03-09-2022, 02:41 AM

Hardly any of this is true. We lost to Memphis when we got screwed we lost the rest bc our K got hurt and again got hosed at Arkansas. The football program is in the best shape it has been since 2017.

The biggest thing I agree with is that he has to beat OM this year. His worst loss is the egg this past year. Drops and no K cost us but he is the HC it all ends with him

I disagree that we'd beat SC by 14 especially with Ratler. Also, the Memphis game shouldn't have been close. We were losing before the punt return.

TrapGame
03-09-2022, 09:21 AM
Leach is collecting checks. The reality is Ole Miss exposed his entire offense while beating us last year. Tech picked up the game film and did the exact same thing. If Leach doesn't change we'd be fortunate to win 6 games.

We dropped three touchdown passes. We missed two field goals. OM had shit to do with that.

Jesus people STOP THE MADNESS.

It's amazing how a thread about the shortcomings of football, baseball and basketball morphs into a Leach bitch fest.

Tbonewannabe
03-09-2022, 10:30 AM

I am not sure that Leach is going to work here but he has as many big wins as Mullen did during his entire 9 years. He needs to eliminate the WTF losses (Memphis and Texas Tech) and win the Egg. I don't know if you are just doing it to create the conversation but you are basically looking at only the negatives which is just the opposite of what you say BuckyIsAB is defending.

Not even having the ball "bounce our way", we have 9 wins if the refs actually make the correct calls. Memphis game we were screwed and the Arkansas game would have ended if they make the correct call.

I think Leach has to adapt for it to actually fully work in the SEC and I am not sure that he will but it isn't like he is Rick Ray or anything.

bulldawg28
03-09-2022, 02:37 PM
We dropped three touchdown passes. We missed two field goals. OM had shit to do with that.

It's amazing how a thread about the shortcomings of football, baseball and basketball morphs into a Leach bitch fest.

Lol, 2 of those were on the same possession. They also could have scored more in the 2nd half.

CadaverDawg
03-09-2022, 02:45 PM
I am not sure that Leach is going to work here but he has as many big wins as Mullen did during his entire 9 years. He needs to eliminate the WTF losses (Memphis and Texas Tech) and win the Egg. I don't know if you are just doing it to create the conversation but you are basically looking at only the negatives which is just the opposite of what you say BuckyIsAB is defending.

Not even having the ball "bounce our way", we have 9 wins if the refs actually make the correct calls. Memphis game we were screwed and the Arkansas game would have ended if they make the correct call.

I think Leach has to adapt for it to actually fully work in the SEC and I am not sure that he will but it isn't like he is Rick Ray or anything.

If "ifs" and "buts" were candy and nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas

CadaverDawg
03-09-2022, 02:49 PM

I agree that he is collecting checks. His best years are behind him...he's not adjusting or adapting, and he is past his prime. That may be fine for a lot of our fans, but I want someone hungry and that can give us hope of achieving the biggest goals we strive for each year. You'll never do that with an outdated coach, with a one dimensional system, in the best league in the land. Just won't. But we can discuss further in a few years when we start the search.

TrapGame
03-10-2022, 09:15 AM
I agree that he is collecting checks. His best years are behind him...he's not adjusting or adapting, and he is past his prime. That may be fine for a lot of our fans, but I want someone hungry and that can give us hope of achieving the biggest goals we strive for each year. You'll never do that with an outdated coach, with a one dimensional system, in the best league in the land. Just won't. But we can discuss further in a few years when we start the search.

Just like the backup quarterback, the next head coach is the one that will take us to the top. We were two blown calls from winning two more games last season. If we had an actual kicker the blown calls would not have mattered.

As this doom and gloom around here is making you guys bitter. Please, step back and breathe. None of this stuff matters in the long run.

OLJWales
03-10-2022, 11:57 AM
This is a thread best read on the morning throne hoping the fruits and veggies the night before did their jobs.

bulldawg28
03-10-2022, 12:52 PM

If or when he loses to Ole Miss that discussion will happen this December.

Jarius
03-10-2022, 10:08 PM
Leach will win as much as Mullen did here % wise. It’s fairly obvious we improved a lot this year offensively.

Todd4State
03-10-2022, 11:16 PM
Leach will win as much as Mullen did here % wise. It’s fairly obvious we improved a lot this year offensively.

Special teams and defense were much more of an issue than the offense last year.

Jarius
03-11-2022, 07:03 AM
Special teams and defense were much more of an issue than the offense last year.

For sure. Most of special teams was due to a fluke injury to a guy that was all American type good the year prior. Our defense was missing a good pass rusher in the worst way and hopefully we will have that this year with Davis coming back. All things considered, he won 7 games in year 2 after doing a huge personnel philosophy shift and not even having an off-season in year 1 to help with the transition. He is right on track here to do what he has done everywhere else.

maroonmania
03-11-2022, 08:43 AM

That's true but Leach has still not had an offense at MSU anywhere close to being as effective as most that he had at TT and WSU and that is NOT because of SEC defenses. We haven't been that good on offense for the most part even when we play OOC teams or the lower end SEC teams. Our offense has yet to match the precision that Leach had at his other stops. If we don't do it this year then I will just probably resign myself to the fact that we never will. If folks watched the WSU in offense in 2018 with Gardner Minshew or the 2019 WSU offense with Anthony Gordon then you know exactly what I am talking about.

Jarius
03-11-2022, 11:24 AM
That's true but Leach has still not had an offense at MSU anywhere close to being as effective as most that he had at TT and WSU and that is NOT because of SEC defenses. We haven't been that good on offense for the most part even when we play OOC teams or the lower end SEC teams. Our offense has yet to match the precision that Leach had at his other stops. If we don't do it this year then I will just probably resign myself to the fact that we never will. If folks watched the WSU in offense in 2018 with Gardner Minshew or the 2019 WSU offense with Anthony Gordon then you know exactly what I am talking about.

His offense has shown the same progression from year 1 to year 2 that it has shown at every single stop in his career. It will improve this year as well, just like it has previously.