PDA

View Full Version : Embarrassing and Unacceptable

CadaverDawg
03-06-2022, 05:01 PM
Win game 1 19-2, and have a 10-2 lead in game 2, and LOSE THE SERIES???!

Absolutely unacceptable

CJDAWG85
03-06-2022, 05:03 PM
Pathetic

KOdawg1
03-06-2022, 05:03 PM
We need to get some solid maroon hats, because some of these dudes don't deserve to wear the M over S.

basedog
03-06-2022, 05:09 PM
Let me get this out of the way. Cade didn’t have his best stuff today but I am proud the way he battled through it all. This was his first start on the road, he will learn from this and get better. He did show he will battle and not give in which I’m not surprised.
Sorry to being that up as I need to not really comment about Cade.

As of today, I don’t think we are a top 20 team, but I think we will before the year is over. I see this year as a “rebuild year”.

CJDAWG85
03-06-2022, 05:09 PM
We shit and fell back in it.

Turfdawg67
03-06-2022, 05:11 PM
Lol, never mind.

CadaverDawg
03-06-2022, 05:12 PM
Let me get this out of the way. Cade didn’t have his best stuff today but I am proud the way he battled through it all. This was his first start on the road, he will learn from this and get better. He did show he will battle and not give in which I’m not surprised.

As of today, I don’t think we are a top 20 team, but I think we will before the year is over. I see this year as a “rebuild year”.

Cade battled his ass off. He wasn't the issue.

As for "rebuild"...in the age of the transfer portal, a National Championship winner should never have to rebuild

KOdawg1
03-06-2022, 05:12 PM

Cade is the least of our worries. He pitched okay despite not having his best stuff. The hitting and the bullpen will be the downfall of this team.

ScooterDog
03-06-2022, 05:13 PM
I think Saturday's high score and yesterday's first 4 innings were only fools gold.

KOdawg1
03-06-2022, 05:16 PM

As for "rebuild"...in the age of the transfer portal, a National Championship winner should never have to rebuild

I hate using the term rebuild for this year because I view next year as the rebuild. We'll lose Sims, LoTan, Hancock, James, Yeager, possibly Cumbest, possibly Clark (although not likely), along with a few others. That's a lot of holes to fill even if they are sucking it up themselves so far this year. We could be looking just as rough next year.

Commercecomet24
03-06-2022, 05:21 PM

The sign of a great pitcher is being able to give his team a chance to win when he doesn't have his best stuff and that's what Cade did today. Kudos to him for being a competitor. I agree with you we aren't too 20 right now but will be by the end of the year. Got some work to do though.

Cooterpoot
03-06-2022, 05:23 PM
Starting pitching wasn't the issue this weekend. Everything else was.

State82
03-06-2022, 05:24 PM
Total shit. Top to bottom. With the exception of starting pitchers.

EdwardDrayton
03-06-2022, 05:28 PM
Without Landon, difficult to see us as a Top 20 team.

R2Dawg
03-06-2022, 05:31 PM

Yep NC teams like us don't rebuild, we reload. This year a total failure so far. I think we can get it together later in year if not too late.

We basically lost 2 position players and 3 pitchers, that should not be a rebuild.

EdwardDrayton
03-06-2022, 05:33 PM
It sure was a tough sports week for the good guys.

R2Dawg
03-06-2022, 05:34 PM
Without Landon, difficult to see us as a Top 20 team.

I'm not sure we are a top 20 even with Landon. I think we can be by year end if we get our stuff together. We have the pieces.

R2Dawg
03-06-2022, 05:34 PM
I hate using the term rebuild for this year because I view next year as the rebuild. We'll lose Sims, LoTan, Hancock, James, Yeager, possibly Cumbest, possibly Clark (although not likely), along with a few others. That's a lot of holes to fill even if they are sucking it up themselves so far this year. We could be looking just as rough next year.

Yep next year was the year we should have expected this, not this year.

Todd4State
03-06-2022, 05:36 PM
The issue with the bullpen is the coach putting out the same guys who aren't performing over the ones that have performed.

Until they stop playing favorites and get their heads out of their ass this is the results we'll get.

This weekend isn't on any of the players. I don't fault people who were put in a position to fail. I fault the people that put them in a position to fail.

The hitting was fine. We scored in double digits twice. The starters were fine. The bullpen wasn't. And our best guy throws only 8 pitches the whole weekend. Auger and Brandon Smith pitched fine. Stinnett and Tullar have done what they have done their entire careers. And our coaches expect that to change for some reason.

Santiago
03-06-2022, 05:36 PM
0 for 7 with runners in scoring position today.
And yesterday had a couple of innings with bases loaded.
Either the odds will turn in our favor or we just don't have those clutch guys.

Bullpen in 10 innings this weekend walking 8, hitting a few more, and a balk just hands games away.

BeardoMSU
03-06-2022, 05:39 PM

We'll have to hit the transfer portal with a vengeance, right?

StarkVegasSteve
03-06-2022, 05:40 PM

Cade battled his ass off. He refused to quit and roll over. That is what I want my starter to do.

Todd4State
03-06-2022, 05:40 PM

Bullpen in 10 innings this weekend walking 8, hitting a few more, and a balk just hands games away.

The way this team is built our offense is going to be streaky. They still managed to score four runs-we should win a majority of the time when we score four or more IMO. I'm never going to criticize the offense when the score 10. You should win every time you score that many.

R2Dawg
03-06-2022, 05:42 PM

Just real bad baseball. Yesterday never should have happened. We walk 3 in a row, bases loaded and no outs just can't happen when you are 3 outs away from a win with a 2 run cushion. It takes a lot of effort to lose a game like that.

Commercecomet24
03-06-2022, 05:47 PM
The way this team is built our offense is going to be streaky. They still managed to score four runs-we should win a majority of the time when we score four or more IMO. I'm never going to criticize the offense when the score 10. You should win every time you score that many.

Yeah no way when you have an 8 run lead can you really blame the offense. Today we had the lead in the 7th gotta close that one out. We didn't get it done either day.

Todd4State
03-06-2022, 05:48 PM
We'll have to hit the transfer portal with a vengeance, right?

I don't know. May have to get a veteran catcher just to be safe but I think Highfill is good enough there. Have a good core group of pitchers for next year with Smith, Tepper, Fristoe, and Simmons as well as Kohn and Walker. They'll go off somewhere this summer and be even better next year. Hines and Alford I think can replace Hancock and James. Forsythe will be back. Meche can play second next year and will be fine. Clark, Downs, and Seibert all will be back. Need a CF/leadoff type with some speed. Probably will be able to find that in the portal.

This year shouldn't be a rebuilding year. Nor should next year.

Losing Stinnett and Tullar will be addition by subtraction.

There is a JUCO pitcher that we have committed from Northeast CC that is an absolute beast. Hopefully we can get him to school.

My guess is we'll hit the portal for a catcher, CF, and then a LHP that is a match up guy like a Zach Neff from a couple of years ago.

Todd4State
03-06-2022, 05:51 PM
Yeah no way when you have an 8 run lead can you really blame the offense. Today we had the lead in the 7th gotta close that one out. We didn't get it done either day.

Yep. Plus offense is baseball is so difficult- you can have a good offense and still get shut down sometimes.

Commercecomet24
03-06-2022, 05:51 PM
I don't know. May have to get a veteran catcher just to be safe but I think Highfill is good enough there. Have a good core group of pitchers for next year with Smith, Tepper, Fristoe, and Simmons as well as Kohn and Walker. They'll go off somewhere this summer and be even better next year. Hines and Alford I think can replace Hancock and James. Forsythe will be back. Meche can play second next year and will be fine. Clark, Downs, and Seibert all will be back. Need a CF/leadoff type with some speed. Probably will be able to find that in the portal.

There is a JUCO pitcher that we have committed from Northeast CC that is an absolute beast. Hopefully we can get him to school.

My guess is we'll hit the portal for a catcher, CF, and then a LHP that is a match up guy like a Zach Neff from a couple of years ago.

That guy from northeast we're(mgccc)playing them this coming weekend I'll let you know how he looks In person but my sons already been watching video of him and the kids a Hoss.

Santiago
03-06-2022, 05:52 PM

And, hopefully we bring in 2-3 impact freshmen every year, like we have with Hines this year.

maroonmania
03-06-2022, 05:54 PM
The issue with the bullpen is the coach putting out the same guys who aren't performing over the ones that have performed.

Until they stop playing favorites and get their heads out of their ass this is the results we'll get.

This weekend isn't on any of the players. I don't fault people who were put in a position to fail. I fault the people that put them in a position to fail.

The hitting was fine. We scored in double digits twice. The starters were fine. The bullpen wasn't. And our best guy throws only 8 pitches the whole weekend. Auger and Brandon Smith pitched fine. Stinnett and Tullar have done what they have done their entire careers. And our coaches expect that to change for some reason.

Hitting wasn't fine today. Only 4 runs scored on Sundays will get you beat way more times than not.

BrunswickDawg
03-06-2022, 05:56 PM
I'm gonna take the blame. I usually shave my head when pitchers and catcher report. I realized today I still had my luscious winter locks because of the lock out. Game ended today and I shaved my head. Hopefully it's not too late.

Todd4State
03-06-2022, 05:56 PM
That guy from northeast we're(mgccc)playing them this coming weekend I'll let you know how he looks In person but my sons already been watching video of him and the kids a Hoss.

Yeah. He's mid-upper 90's and sounds like MLB pitcher. Tell your son to go easy on him and only take him deep once or twice. I don't want to shake his confidence before he gets here.

Todd4State
03-06-2022, 05:57 PM
Hitting wasn't fine today. Only 4 runs scored on Sundays will get you beat way more times than not.

Disagree. You never know how a game is going to play out. We scored enough to have the lead late. That's all a pitcher can ask for.

Commercecomet24
03-06-2022, 06:06 PM
Yeah. He's mid-upper 90's and sounds like MLB pitcher. Tell your son to go easy on him and only take him deep once or twice. I don't want to shake his confidence before he gets here.

Lol will do. Honestly I don't know how much more he's going to play this year with this shoulder problem. We're trying to dodge surgery at this point. But I hope he gets to hit off this guy just to see what he can do against. My kid ain't no Barry bonds or anything like that but he can hit velo that's why I hope he gets a shot this weekend. That guy is a beast though and I'm anxious to see him up close.

maroonmania
03-06-2022, 06:06 PM
Disagree. You never know how a game is going to play out. We scored enough to have the lead late. That's all a pitcher can ask for.

If you think we are going to beat most of the better SEC teams this year scoring 4 runs on Sunday then yea, we will agree to disagree.

basedog
03-06-2022, 06:07 PM
Team chemistry is a big deal, I’m questioning if we have this yet. Last year was over the top with it especially after the Sec tourney. Leaders have to step up soon!

Commercecomet24
03-06-2022, 06:09 PM

Yeah 4 runs gave us the lead with only 9 outs to get. The pen didn't get it done.

basedog
03-06-2022, 06:10 PM
Lol will do. Honestly I don't know how much more he's going to play this year with this shoulder problem. We're trying to dodge surgery at this point. But I hope he gets to hit off this guy just to see what he can do against. My kid ain't no Barry bonds or anything like that but he can hit velo that's why I hope he gets a shot this weekend. That guy is a beast though and I'm anxious to see him up close.

Man it’s so hard playing sports with a shoulder problem, I hope he mends soon. Hopefully warm weather will help him.

Commercecomet24
03-06-2022, 06:13 PM
Man it’s so hard playing sports with a shoulder problem, I hope he mends soon. Hopefully warm weather will help him.

Thanks, Base I appreciate it. He's got a small tear in labrum that he's trying to play through. Ol Riley Self has been a blessing for my son, he's really helped keep his spirits up and they've gotten close. Riley's a good dude.

parabrave
03-06-2022, 06:18 PM

He didn't lose it. Every pitcher will have a rough inning, Tom Glavine is a prime example. It's how you recover from it. However having bases loaded with your "power" hitter popping up to the 1st baseman is a killer. And it's been a problem the last few games. We were really gonna miss T A and Rowdey this year but we thought someone would step up. Nope so far it hasn't happened and it looks like it might not.

AlSwearengen
03-06-2022, 07:47 PM
We just have a lot of holes. Smith, Simmons, and maybe Auger are the only somewhat dependable bullpen arms that we have. With his stuff, Tepper should have alot better results than he gets, which I guess comes from command issues. We have really good defensive players that can’t hit their weight. I could go on and on but won’t. Hopefully Downs, Clark, and maybe Alford improve and progress thru the year.

What is disheartening to me is Tenn apparently has 3 true freshmen pitchers that are apparently performing pretty well.

CadaverDawg
03-06-2022, 10:09 PM
We just have a lot of holes. Smith, Simmons, and maybe Auger are the only somewhat dependable bullpen arms that we have. With his stuff, Tepper should have alot better results than he gets, which I guess comes from command issues. We have really good defensive players that can’t hit their weight. I could go on and on but won’t. Hopefully Downs, Clark, and maybe Alford improve and progress thru the year.

What is disheartening to me is Tenn apparently has 3 true freshmen pitchers that are apparently performing pretty well.

Not gonna lie, Vitello is creating a monster up there. As long as he is coaching up there, they will be in the CWS discussion. They mash the ball, and have some serious arms

Homedawg
03-06-2022, 10:58 PM

This year shouldn't. Next year most definitely should be.

Homedawg
03-06-2022, 10:59 PM
Not gonna lie, Vitello is creating a monster up there. As long as he is coaching up there, they will be in the CWS discussion. They mash the ball, and have some serious arms

He's good. But I'm not in fear of UT baseball....

Todd4State
03-07-2022, 12:43 AM

Hopefully he'll take some recruits from Vandy.

Todd4State
03-07-2022, 12:46 AM
This year shouldn't. Next year most definitely should be.

We'll see. I typically feel like we should be good when we have a lot of juniors on the pitching staff. We'll see who makes a jump in the summer and how the draft shakes out. Our freshmen have been pretty good IMO as well.

TNDawg35
03-07-2022, 01:05 AM

TN is good at home In that Cracker Jack park where the ball flys out. When they got to Omaha, they got demolished.

Todd4State
03-07-2022, 01:12 AM
TN is good at home In that Cracker Jack park where the ball flys out. When they got to Omaha, they got demolished.

They also had never been to Omaha before. At least the current players. I think that's a factor too IMO.

Homedawg
03-07-2022, 08:56 AM
We'll see. I typically feel like we should be good when we have a lot of juniors on the pitching staff. We'll see who makes a jump in the summer and how the draft shakes out. Our freshmen have been pretty good IMO as well.

It's just that we are going to have to start all soph and newcomers, basically, unless we go heavy portal. Which I can't see us going heavy Portal. Yes we are going to have to get a catcher.

BrunswickDawg
03-07-2022, 09:10 AM
I know one thing - I'm glad I never played on any teams with most of you. Y'all give up at the slightest sign of adversity.

SilentSteel16
03-07-2022, 09:36 AM
I know one thing - I'm glad I never played on any teams with most of you. Y'all give up at the slightest sign of adversity.

Amen !!

AlSwearengen
03-07-2022, 10:24 AM
[QUOTE=BrunswickDawg;1415783]I know one thing - I'm glad I never played on any teams with most of you. Y'all give up at the slightest sign of adversity.[/QUOTE

I don't think anyone is giving up per se. Those with a little baseball experience can see the holes and the problems. I'm hoping that we are just suffering from the coaching turnover, which if you look at the timeline, is probably the case.

My biggest concern is the juco players that we bring in aren't really that great for the most part. I hope our coaching staff doesn't have issues with player evaluation.

KOdawg1
03-07-2022, 10:41 AM

Saying "hey this isn't good" isn't the same thing as giving up.

StarkVegasSteve
03-07-2022, 10:50 AM

This is not adversity. This is realizing that we have no pitching depth and unless we turn into OM, Tennessee, or LSU overnight then our bats are not good to save us.

BrunswickDawg
03-07-2022, 11:21 AM
[QUOTE=BrunswickDawg;1415783]I know one thing - I'm glad I never played on any teams with most of you. Y'all give up at the slightest sign of adversity.[/QUOTE

I don't think anyone is giving up per se. Those with a little baseball experience can see the holes and the problems. I'm hoping that we are just suffering from the coaching turnover, which if you look at the timeline, is probably the case.

My biggest concern is the juco players that we bring in aren't really that great for the most part. I hope our coaching staff doesn't have issues with player evaluation.

I probably should have posted my comment in the "has our athletic department every been as bad as now" thread that is going on, or the hot take thread that we won't make the post season.

But yes, this is adversity. We have highly rated/recruited players that aren't performing as expected. We have made mental mistakes and not played our best ball. Our best starter appears to be out for an indefinite amount of time.
Good ballclubs buckle down and fight through these things. And sometimes the result isn't seen until a streak later in the season.

2018 we went into SEC play 10-7, and even .500 as late as April 18th after a loss to Memphis in a mid-week (after having lost to Nichols State and SE Louisiana earlier). I trust Lemonis and our culture to get it worked out. We've proven it too many times over the last decade for me not to.

StarkVegasSteve
03-07-2022, 11:54 AM
[QUOTE=AlSwearengen;1415790]

I probably should have posted my comment in the "has our athletic department every been as bad as now" thread that is going on, or the hot take thread that we won't make the post season.

But yes, this is adversity. We have highly rated/recruited players that aren't performing as expected. We have made mental mistakes and not played our best ball. Our best starter appears to be out for an indefinite amount of time.
Good ballclubs buckle down and fight through these things. And sometimes the result isn't seen until a streak later in the season.

2018 we went into SEC play 10-7, and even .500 as late as April 18th after a loss to Memphis in a mid-week (after having lost to Nichols State and SE Louisiana earlier). I trust Lemonis and our culture to get it worked out. We've proven it too many times over the last decade for me not to.

2018 had leadership . Mangum, Mac, Stovall, Small, etc. were not going to let that team fail.

Maybe someone emerges like that, but at this point I do not see a leader out there.

FISHDAWG
03-07-2022, 12:09 PM
Yeah 4 runs gave us the lead with only 9 outs to get. The pen didn't get it done.

agreed ... the pen also tied the game unfortunately

BrunswickDawg
03-07-2022, 01:12 PM
[QUOTE=BrunswickDawg;1415797]

2018 had leadership . Mangum, Mac, Stovall, Small, etc. were not going to let that team fail.

Maybe someone emerges like that, but at this point I do not see a leader out there.

Would you have said that at the end of March when we were 15-17, 2-7 in the SEC, and just come off a week where we lost 2 of 3 to Mizzou, lost to Nichols State, and lost 2 of 3 to LSU? Mangum was hitting .328, Mac .246 with no HR, Stovall at .291, and Small was 2-2, Pilk 1-4. Guys who were not ready for Prime Time at that point but starting were Rowdey - batting .194, TA at a decent .275 at 1 HR, Westberg .265 and 0 HR, and Foscue at .239 and 2 HR.

Leadership isn't always about stats and successful at bats at this point. Its the stuff we don't see and have no clue about. Nobody thought anyone but Jake was any good at that point in 2018 - and look what those guys grew into.

StarkVegasSteve
03-07-2022, 01:32 PM
[QUOTE=StarkVegasSteve;1415802]

Would you have said that at the end of March when we were 15-17, 2-7 in the SEC, and just come off a week where we lost 2 of 3 to Mizzou, lost to Nichols State, and lost 2 of 3 to LSU? Mangum was hitting .328, Mac .246 with no HR, Stovall at .291, and Small was 2-2, Pilk 1-4. Guys who were not ready for Prime Time at that point but starting were Rowdey - batting .194, TA at a decent .275 at 1 HR, Westberg .265 and 0 HR, and Foscue at .239 and 2 HR.

Leadership isn't always about stats and successful at bats at this point. Its the stuff we don't see and have no clue about. Nobody thought anyone but Jake was any good at that point in 2018 - and look what those guys grew into.

Actually yes I was still saying that we COULD figure it out. Did not know if we had time to do it but we were turning the corner and we had early season success in Houston that proved to me we could piece things together. And I agree leadership is not about stats. Maybe we figure it out and magically get 4 guys in the pen who can get high leverage outs, but right now I am not seeing it.

parabrave
03-07-2022, 01:37 PM
[QUOTE=BrunswickDawg;1415797]

Last year someone took control after the SEC Tourny/ Maybe TA did but someone did. Each team needs a leader and this one doesn't have an Alpha male.