PDA

View Full Version : I?ve got to be honest

FriarsPoint
03-06-2022, 12:49 AM
I haven?t felt this way about the athletic department since 85. I?m not worried about baseball. Anybody thinking we wouldn?t have a huge hangover is kidding themselves. Baseball will be fine. I?m sorry Landon got hurt. Hopefully he?ll recover.

But the rest. Damn. Other than volleyball and baseball, it?s a shitshow. In a time where cheating is legal.

I?m sorry. That?s leadership. Just like in 85. Nobody gave two shits about competing.

I?m damn near done with sports above the high school level.

So called societal norms ain?t helping.

Get busy winning or get busy dying.

My interest level is about as low as it can get.

Todd4State
03-06-2022, 01:17 AM
Cohen needs to hit a home run with the men's basketball hire. And Women's too- I don't personally care a lot about that but I understand many of our fans do. The biggest thing is he needs to make a sensible hire that will excite the fan base and not a cute outside the box guy that will require a three year rebuild.

Football needs to have a dream season the next two years. I'm talking 1998, 1999, 2010, or 2014 level.

trojandawg
03-06-2022, 01:39 AM
I'm afraid football is looking at another 5-6 7-5 type season. If baseball can't get things together yo at least make a good run into post season 2022 is gonna be a tough sports year. As good as 2021 was.

I'm not too excited about cohen making this basketball hire for mens basketball his first hire track record isn't great. Has to be a home run.

I'm still not convinced leach is that guy in football. Had some good games but serious head scratchers too. And losing to ole miss three times is serious. Hopefully that doesn't happen again. This year. They should be down.

ArrowDawg
03-06-2022, 01:57 AM
Cohen needs to hit a home run with the men's basketball hire. And Women's too- I don't personally care a lot about that but I understand many of our fans do. The biggest thing is he needs to make a sensible hire that will excite the fan base and not a cute outside the box guy that will require a three year rebuild.

Football needs to have a dream season the next two years. I'm talking 1998, 1999, 2010, or 2014 level.

Yeah, what you said.

Todd4State
03-06-2022, 02:24 AM
I'm afraid football is looking at another 5-6 7-5 type season. If baseball can't get things together yo at least make a good run into post season 2022 is gonna be a tough sports year. As good as 2021 was.

I'm not too excited about cohen making this basketball hire for mens basketball his first hire track record isn't great. Has to be a home run.

I'm still not convinced leach is that guy in football. Had some good games but serious head scratchers too. And losing to ole miss three times is serious. Hopefully that doesn't happen again. This year. They should be down.

I think baseball will get it together enough to make a regional. Lemonis is going to have to really coach this group though. Meaning he doesn't have stars that can bail him out like Sims and TA.

The fact that he ripped the hitters after USM gives me hope. And I suspect he did the same with Foxhall and the pitchers today.

FriarsPoint
03-06-2022, 03:08 AM
I think baseball will get it together enough to make a regional. Lemonis is going to have to really coach this group though. Meaning he doesn't have stars that can bail him out like Sims and TA.

The fact that he ripped the hitters after USM gives me hope. And I suspect he did the same with Foxhall and the pitchers today.

We’ll make a regional. And in time, we’ll probably look back and say this was his best coaching job ever. Seriously.

It’s the bullshit every where else that’s inexcusable.

I’m sorry. We’ve got to have a new AD. And preferably one with no ties to MSU whatsoever.

TNDawg35
03-06-2022, 04:06 AM
We are to the point in baseball where a regional 2 seed is a down season. That’s where we are headed this year. Once the post season starts, anything can happen. I just don’t think we have the pitching to take us very far, but who knows.

Leeshouldveflanked
03-06-2022, 06:15 AM
I have been saying since they hired Cohen that it was a bad hire and that he had no qualifications to be a AD at a SEC school. Sitting in on a few interviews and hanging around people smarter than him does not qualify you to be CEO of a SEC Athletics Department.

Hambone
03-06-2022, 07:32 AM
Yea because all the other AD’s in our history we’re soooo much better……..

Guys, Cohen is literally the only AD in this schools history to make a hire that resulted in us winning a national championship. Only one.

You want a home run in basketball, when have we ever had that? Talking about a program with 2 sweet 16’s and one final four ever.

Womens basketball, yes Vic took us to a level never thought possible but what about before that? We had one of the worst programs in the SEC.

Demanding a year in football that we’ve only had 4 times….. yea, ok.

I’m not saying it’s ok to except mediocrity, however it is really hard for those things to happen.

calidawg
03-06-2022, 08:22 AM
Yea because all the other AD’s in our history we’re soooo much better……..

Guys, Cohen is literally the only AD in this schools history to make a hire that resulted in us winning a national championship. Only one.

Cohen botched that search until McDonnell told him to hire lemon.

Byrne and Stricklan were better ADs, what are u talking about

maroonmania
03-06-2022, 10:13 AM

Since Cohen is doing the hiring in a sport that isn't baseball, asking for a home run hire is pretty unrealistic. Right now I would take good solid double. And in basketball, if you aren't already a blue blood and you aren't willing to let your coaches cheat pretty blatantly then your ceiling isn't very high anyway. College basketball recruiting is the only thing dirtier than college football recruiting.

Todd4State
03-06-2022, 10:31 AM
Cohen botched that search until McDonnell told him to hire lemon.

Byrne and Stricklan were better ADs, what are u talking about

If that's botching it let's hope he screws up this one too.

calidawg
03-06-2022, 10:42 AM
If that's botching it let's hope he screws up this one too.

he clearly didnt botch the hire, he botched the search process.. before lemon it was a cluster f.... but that's low on the totem pole of things to bitch about because the result ended up being great... but can anyone show where we are a better run athletic organization now than the Byrne Stricklan era? Talking operations, marketing, fan engagement, booster fundraising etc..

Leeshouldveflanked
03-06-2022, 10:47 AM
he clearly didnt botch the hire, he botched the search process.. before lemon it was a cluster f.... but that's low on the totem pole of things to bitch about because the result ended up being great... but can anyone show where we are a better run athletic organization now than the Byrne Stricklan era? Talking operations, marketing, fan engagement, booster fundraising etc..
From a marketing, operations, fan engagement booster fundraising standpoint we are about 1987 level.

BeardoMSU
03-06-2022, 10:51 AM

Was it really a cluster, though? We all thought so at the moment because we were be trolled by Kendall Rodgers and his shitty sources guaranteeing the baseball world MSU was about to make an epic coaching hire (which could've only meant 2 or 3 guys to fit such a bill)

In the end, we still made a HR hire.

Hambone
03-06-2022, 11:00 AM
I know it’s gotten old at this point, but how many AD’s have we had that has had to navigate a pandemic?

Fan engagement directly affected by that, as does some donor availability.

State82
03-06-2022, 11:04 AM
Was it really a cluster, though? We all thought so at the moment because we were be trolled by Kendall Rodgers and his shitty sources guaranteeing the baseball world MSU was about to make an epic coaching hire (which could've only meant 2 or 3 guys to fit such a bill)

In the end, we still made a HR hire.

Yep. And I still think something surfaced from out of the blue on Schlossnagle before a contract could be inked.

PGHBulldogBG
03-06-2022, 11:06 AM
I?m not ready to fire Cohen yet. The Moorhead hire still annoys me to this day, and I don?t know if Leach will work out but I don?t think we had many other options. I am hoping the Moorhead hire was a fluke and not the norm, but I just don?t see how we hire someone like that who was just riding the coat tails of Barkley. We have no idea what kind of hire Cohen will make for mens basketball, but how Leach performs in the next 2 years and how that mens bball hire performs will determine Cohens fate. If we just constantly hire and fire people that doesn?t look good either

msstate7
03-06-2022, 11:08 AM
Who you guys think Cohen will hire for basketball?

OLJWales
03-06-2022, 02:04 PM

Yep. I rarely get inside info but lucked out here in fort worth with a TCU Insider who gave me no reason to think he was BS'ing me who said Schloss , TCU Coach gave him a "yes" when asked if he was taking our job. TIFWIW. What happened after I have no idea.

CadaverDawg
03-06-2022, 02:14 PM
Yeah, maybe it's my age, or the fact that football is now a pay for play, or the fact that our programs outside of baseball have been so meh lately....but I agree. My give a shit is at an all time low when it comes to excitement about MSU athletics outside of baseball.