PDA

View Full Version : The 2RBI SAC Fly

Maroonthirteen
03-05-2022, 06:57 PM
I realize players round 3rd and get outside the base line 3rd to home. But 90ft later, I'd say it is running outside the line to avoid a tag. He should have been out. That never gets called. But man he was wide of the base path.

https://twitter.com/greenwavebsb/status/1500246881254920192?s=21

msstate7
03-05-2022, 06:59 PM
Definitely looked wide. Still though, we gotta get that ball back in with more urgency

Maroonthirteen
03-05-2022, 07:11 PM
My critique is he was out by two steps. But the throw was away from the plate a bit. If the relay is closer to the plate, he is dead out. But yeah.... that's bad to give up two runs there.

Leeshouldveflanked
03-05-2022, 07:24 PM
McGowan didn?t get the ball back in with any urgency which caused the rushed relay?

Kingbarkus
03-05-2022, 07:24 PM
I was there sitting close to home plate. I knew the runner at 2nd was coming home. He never hesitated. Just like everything else after scoring 10 runs, we screwed up. Right fielder stumbling around. Poor relay to home. We had that guy by a mile with simple execution.

Really Clark?
03-05-2022, 10:17 PM
I realize players round 3rd and get outside the base line 3rd to home. But 90ft later, I'd say it is running outside the line to avoid a tag. He should have been out. That never gets called. But man he was wide of the base path.

https://twitter.com/greenwavebsb/status/1500246881254920192?s=21

Here is where most get confused on the base path rule, with the exception of the running lane to first, technically there are no base paths UNTIL the fielder has the ball and is in position to make a tag. It's at that point that a base line is established. Until then, a runner can go as wide as he wants. You can run anywhere you want on the field, outfield, foul ground, it doesn't matter, you can run by the dugout if you want. In this case, until the catcher caught the ball, there was no base path. Once the catcher did and was in position to make a tag, only then was a base path created, at the angle the runner was heading, at that point he has 3 feet on either side fielder at that angle. As long as a part of his body, in this case his arm staying inside that 3 foot range to slide and touch hom plate, he is perfectly legal.

RougeDawg
03-05-2022, 10:26 PM
To clarify the catcher has to catch and hold on to the ball for any of this conversation to make any sense. Tanner did not so moot point. Typical MSU result. Oh well. They have nice beer at the games.

Commercecomet24
03-05-2022, 10:34 PM
Here is where most get confused on the base path rule, with the exception of the running lane to first, technically there are no base paths UNTIL the fielder has the ball and is in position to make a tag. It's at that point that a base line is established. Until then, a runner can go as wide as he wants. You can run anywhere you want on the field, outfield, foul ground, it doesn't matter, you can run by the dugout if you want. In this case, until the catcher caught the ball, there was no base path. Once the catcher did and was in position to make a tag, only then was a base path created, at the angle the runner was heading, at that point he has 3 feet on either side fielder at that angle. As long as a part of his body, in this case his arm staying inside that 3 foot range to slide and touch hom plate, he is perfectly legal.

This. A lot of people don't understand this rule but you nailed it and as Rouge said we didn't even catch the ball so it wouldn't have mattered.

Maroonthirteen
03-05-2022, 11:08 PM
To clarify the catcher has to catch and hold on to the ball for any of this conversation to make any sense. Tanner did not so moot point. Typical MSU result. Oh well. They have nice beer at the games.

Thanks for the clarification. It's difficult to see in that video. But I did hear RP say on the radio call, State dropped the ball. So I assumed it was knocked loose on the slide.

Todd4State
03-05-2022, 11:51 PM
Definitely looked wide. Still though, we gotta get that ball back in with more urgency

McGowan didn?t get the ball back in with any urgency which caused the rushed relay?

Number one their outfield is huge. It was a heck of a play to even catch that ball. He didn't get it in with "any urgency"? He almost threw the guy out. I'm not going to criticize an outfielder on a throw that long for accuracy but had it been a little more online he nails the guy at the plate.