PDA

View Full Version : So yeah, it's time to hire a special teams expert....

HoopsDawg
11-21-2013, 09:01 PM
98 of 123 FBS teams (79.7 percent) have a coach with the title special teams coordinator, according to listings in the Football Writers Association of America directory. That?s up from 89 of 120 (74.2 percent) two years ago.

In the SEC, only Georgia, Arkansas, Mississippi State and Missouri don?t have a special teams coordinator.

engie
11-21-2013, 09:22 PM
Interesting that you mention this at the same time I started a thread on SPS about Rutgers' Special Teams Coordinator...who just had a blocked punt returned for TD vs UCF. They've had an INSANE number of blocked kicks and punts the past couple of years...

joben3
11-21-2013, 09:28 PM
Interesting that you mention this at the same time I started a thread on SPS about Rutgers' Special Teams Coordinator...who just had a blocked punt returned for TD vs UCF. They've had an INSANE number of blocked kicks and punts the past couple of years...

can we get this guy? Is it realistic?

HoopsDawg
11-21-2013, 09:37 PM

At MSU, we HAVE to have SUPERIOR special teams to have a chance to compete and pull upsets. We might not be able to sign a bunch of 5 star skill players across the board, but with an experienced coach, dedicated to special teams we can pick up a needed edge.

We simply can't afford to have below average special teams and Mullen has proven year in and year out that he isn't qualified for the job. I know he is following Urban's lead in this department, but you have to know when to delegate.

engie
11-21-2013, 09:45 PM
At MSU, we HAVE to have SUPERIOR special teams to have a chance to compete and pull upsets. We might not be able to sign a bunch of 5 star skill players across the board, but with an experienced coach, dedicated to special teams we can pick up a needed edge.

We simply can't afford to have below average special teams and Mullen has proven year in and year out that he isn't qualified for the job. I know he is following Urban's lead in this department, but you have to know when to delegate.

Agree wholeheartedly. I even mentioned on SPS how Jackie always had great special teams, and how it won us countless nailbiters. Then, it hit me that with this year's special teams, we probably go 6-5 in 99 instead of 9-2...

engie
11-21-2013, 09:48 PM
He currently makes $165k but has never left the northeast...

HoopsDawg
11-21-2013, 10:00 PM

I don't read SPS so you may have already mentioned it, but that fake punt was a thing of beauty. He clearly saw something on film that let him know a fake up the middle would work. They got 40 yards on fake punt dive with their 2 interior guys doubling..incredible. 14 points directly to the special teams coach.

Homedawg
11-21-2013, 10:03 PM
If we hired a special teams coach what would y'all do w the staff? Get rid of the TE job and let them work w the ol and wr coach? Or just have one secondary coach? That's really the only two options I can think of.

Sidewalkdawg
11-21-2013, 10:07 PM
No! We need to hire someone whose sole responsibility is special teams. Even if it gets us one win we didn't already have, he pays for himself.

preachermatt83
11-21-2013, 10:07 PM
If we hired a special teams coach what would y'all do w the staff? Get rid of the TE job and let them work w the ol and wr coach? Or just have one secondary coach? That's really the only two options I can think of.

do away with the OC. Dan could be his own OC. Keonning is a waste of money and a spot.

Sidewalkdawg
11-21-2013, 10:08 PM
I meant to say would not have gotten. Like the WAR stat in baseball. Wins agains replacement.

Homedawg
11-21-2013, 10:10 PM
do away with the OC. Dan could be his own OC. Keonning is a waste of money and a spot.

Hard to be head coach- oc and QB coach. But that's me.

Sidewalkdawg
11-21-2013, 10:10 PM
I would love to know what each win over .500 is actually worth to the athletic dept in ticket sales, merchandising, concessions, donations, etc. I know it's more than the 175-200k it would take to get a top notch special teams guy.

Homedawg
11-21-2013, 10:11 PM
No! We need to hire someone whose sole responsibility is special teams. Even if it gets us one win we didn't already have, he pays for himself.

You still have to get rid of a coach. Thus a position coach if he just does special teams.

CadaverDawg
11-21-2013, 10:12 PM
Agree wholeheartedly. I even mentioned on SPS how Jackie always had great special teams, and how it won us countless nailbiters. Then, it hit me that with this year's special teams, we probably go 6-5 in 99 instead of 9-2...

Hell, hire Jackie as Special teams coach and you kill two birds with one stone....Get someone that knows how to play the recruiting game AND get a good special teams coach.

Bracky may have just suspended Redmond just for me posting this.

Sidewalkdawg
11-21-2013, 10:15 PM
Forgot about that. How does bama get away with having so many people on staff? Is it the way they are titled? I read where he has a freaking army helping him.

HoopsDawg
11-21-2013, 10:15 PM

Every single NFL team has a guy who is totally dedicated to special teams. Only 20 colleges operate in the same manner. Yes, I would get rid of the TE coach and let the TE's share time with the O-line and WR's. But this hypothetical ST coach needs to have a background of running successful special teams. It's can't be some GA.

With 85 man rosters and several practice fields, you can have a group working on ST the entire practice. There are so many things to work on. And it's a great place for the redshirt freshman and backups to make their mark.

engie
11-21-2013, 10:16 PM
I'd eliminate Sallach first certainly...

Bass Chaser
11-21-2013, 10:24 PM
I think I would give ST to Gonzales

Homedawg
11-21-2013, 10:48 PM
I'd eliminate Sallach first certainly...

Hell I'd eliminate him w or without a special teams coach hire!

preachermatt83
11-21-2013, 10:59 PM

Spurrier has done so pretty successfully

engie
11-21-2013, 11:01 PM
I think I would give ST to Gonzales

Seeing what Rutgers is doing makes me want a dedicated, bad-ass ST coach... Not simply "taking it from Mullen in hopes we can become average" -- but a true badass...

Madkinmecrazy
11-21-2013, 11:18 PM
Forgot about that. How does bama get away with having so many people on staff? Is it the way they are titled? I read where he has a freaking army helping him.

I believe that they are "consultants" or "advisors" to the athletic department.

My understanding is that they are not allowed to have interaction with players or recruits, but are there to help coaches formulate game plans/scout/watch film/coordinate/recruiting etc and are not allowed to participate in coaching on game days. Basically, a "back office" coach.

I could be missing the mark slightly on this, but I believe this to be mostly right. ANyone else have more insight?

Bass Chaser
11-21-2013, 11:20 PM
Seeing what Rutgers is doing makes me want a dedicated, bad-ass ST coach... Not simply "taking it from Mullen in hopes we can become average" -- but a true badass...

I don't disagree. No reason to just be average on ST. Frank Beamer use to always have very good ST. I looked on the Hokie site but didn't find anything as far as a ST coach. Anybody know how he used to do it?