PDA

View Full Version : Lemonis, this is on you

TheLostDawg
03-05-2022, 06:29 PM
I understand why you did it. I don't agree with it. Why put a struggling Stinnet in when they are coming back. Yes you're trying to build his confidence back up but come on. The team needed this series and win way more than Stinnet right now. Plenty of other chances for that

Tripp McNeely
03-05-2022, 06:30 PM
I understand why you did it. I don't agree with it. Why put a struggling Stinnet in when they are coming back. Yes you're trying to build his confidence back up but come on. The team needed this series and win way more than Stinnet right now. Plenty of other chances for that

How many options does he really have? That bullpen is shaky!

Saltydog
03-05-2022, 06:34 PM
Please explain why he did it because I have no effing idea. There's NO logical rationale for it, AT ALL.

Patrick Tibbons
03-05-2022, 06:37 PM

He could?ve stayed with Simmons who looked fine today and looked good in his earlier relief appearances this year.

Mjoelner34
03-05-2022, 06:40 PM
He could?ve stayed with Simmons who looked fine today and looked good in his earlier relief appearances this year.

This! But that's only the second part. How about not leaving a guy in who has already given up a run and reloaded the bases with nobody out. That was the first dumbshit move.

trojandawg
03-05-2022, 06:56 PM
Stinnet has never been that good. He's always been all over the place

Leroy Jenkins
03-05-2022, 07:07 PM

I feel like he probably knows that.

R2Dawg
03-05-2022, 07:29 PM

Stone was fine, didn't need the bullpen.

AlSwearengen
03-05-2022, 07:30 PM
Our pitching beyond maybe the first 5 guys is pretty shaky. I’ve seen enough from Stinnett. Auger seems like one of the more dependable bullpen guys at this point. Simmons is o.k. I think.

We need a big influx of top tier pitching prospects fast.

TheLostDawg
03-05-2022, 07:33 PM
Stone was fine, didn't need the bullpen.

Agreed. I think he was trying to get some guys in big pressure situation and thinking about the road ahead of us instead of just right now. That road is getting harder every day. He's just making it harder. I'll roll with him but I don't like it. We'll see at the end of the year if his way works out. I'm sure he knows it might not work Stinnet but again the are other times and situations he can see what he's made of. I guess that he wants to figure it out before SEC but again we'll see if that's the right decision

MoreCowbell
03-05-2022, 08:23 PM

I will defer to the 2 time CWS, National Championship winning coach who has won 50+ games in every full season he has coached here. We were not gonna be very good this year, and with Sims out we will definitely blow. Use this year to set up the next few years.

trojandawg
03-05-2022, 09:01 PM
Paid to win this year not next year. We are a cws program. Don't need to be playing around with series we need to win. We had the lead. Leave Simmons in to finish it out. Stinnet only needs to play in garbage time when we are losing from now on

maroonmania
03-05-2022, 09:19 PM
I will defer to the 2 time CWS, National Championship winning coach who has won 50+ games in every full season he has coached here. We were not gonna be very good this year, and with Sims out we will definitely blow. Use this year to set up the next few years.

I don't care if we have a 20 time CWS National Championship winning coach, there is no legitimate excuse not to let your best reliever finish out that game today. NONE.

Coach34
03-05-2022, 09:21 PM
They want Stinnett to be the Closer

Stinnett just doesn’t have the stones to be a closer

We have more than enough evidence now. If they do it again it’s just being hardheaded

IMissJack
03-05-2022, 09:24 PM
Our pitching beyond maybe the first 5 guys is pretty shaky. I’ve seen enough from Stinnett. Auger seems like one of the more dependable bullpen guys at this point. Simmons is o.k. I think.

We need a big influx of top tier pitching prospects fast.

Holy crap! All I have heard all winter is how deep our pitching was. It is clear, as usual, that no one on here has any idea what they are talking about, including myself.

Commercecomet24
03-05-2022, 09:25 PM

We have more than enough evidence now. If they do it again it’s just being hardheaded

Yeah it's like he's scared of contact. First batter hits a ball hard but an out and the next 2 hitters the pitches are so far off the plate not even close to being competitive. If I had his stuff I'd be attacking but everything from the look on his face, body language lack of competitive pitches says he's afraid. Some got it some don't.

StarkVegasSteve
03-05-2022, 09:31 PM
We have 5 guys I trust to come in and get outs in high leverage situations at this point.

Stone
Auger
Tepper
Brandon Smith
Pico

So one of two things is about to happen. 1) Our starters are going to have to go 7-8 innings every game. 2) 3-4 guys are going to have to step WAY THE HELL up and gain some confidence from the staff.

Coach34
03-05-2022, 09:35 PM
Thing is- Stinnett wouldn’t even be in my top 3 choices as closer. It’s obvious.

Commercecomet24
03-05-2022, 09:40 PM
Thing is- Stinnett wouldn’t even be in my top 3 choices as closer. It’s obvious.

Stinnett should be a mop up guy only.

Cooterpoot
03-05-2022, 09:42 PM
Foxhall makes the pitching decisions. I'm gonna sit over here and just smile.

trojandawg
03-05-2022, 10:25 PM

Definitely from what we have seen. His girodos never dropped. Needs to pitch in losses until they do

Cooterpoot
03-05-2022, 11:06 PM
Definitely from what we have seen. His girodos never dropped. Needs to pitch in losses until they do

He pitched in a loss tonight

trojandawg
03-05-2022, 11:11 PM
I would say when we are losing and have no chance at coming back.

maroonmania
03-05-2022, 11:32 PM

I appreciate the fact Lemonis was man enough to say he made the wrong call on pulling Simmons for Stinnett in the 9th. What I don't understand is why we had to take the loss for our staff to realize that when at least 95% of the MSU posters in the game thread all agreed it was the wrong call real time before Stinnett threw his first pitch? Some things should just be obvious at some point.

Commercecomet24
03-05-2022, 11:41 PM
I appreciate the fact Lemonis was man enough to say he made the wrong call on pulling Simmons for Stinnett in the 9th. What I don't understand is why we had to take the loss for our staff to realize that when at least 95% of the MSU posters in the game thread all agreed it was the wrong call real time before Stinnett threw his first pitch? Some things should just be obvious at some point.

Yeah I appreciate Lemonis owning it too, but this one today really hurt. He doesn't make a ton of mistakes but it does happen to every coach and I'm
sure he's kicking himself, but stinnett doesn't, put out fires he blows up buildings. We gonna find out a lot about our team tomorrow.

Todd4State
03-06-2022, 12:19 AM

I've seen HOF managers make incredibly dumb decisions sometimes as well. No one is immune to it. Incredibly frustrating when it's your team screwing it up. Stinnett I think graduates or will go pro so I don't know what you're talking about as far as using this for the future. And extended Tepper like he did probably hurt us more than it helped regarding the future.

I don't care if we have a 20 time CWS National Championship winning coach, there is no legitimate excuse not to let your best reliever finish out that game today. NONE.

Even less of an excuse with analytics and things like that. That was a high leverage closer situation if I ever saw one. Whether you are old school or new school. Stinnett was very lucky last year.

Yeah I think Stinnett is one of the older guys that they want to see do well. Problem is it doesn't always work like that.

No doubt. Simmons, Auger, and Tepper for sure. And maybe Hunt depending on how he looks when he comes back.

Foxhall makes the pitching decisions. I'm gonna sit over here and just smile.

Foxhall was a dumbass today. And Lemonis should have overruled him on the Stinnett decision.

Yeah I appreciate Lemonis owning it too, but this one today really hurt. He doesn't make a ton of mistakes but it does happen to every coach and I'm
sure he's kicking himself, but stinnett doesn't, put out fires he blows up buildings. We gonna find out a lot about our team tomorrow.

That's what is sooooo frustrating. We find a lineup. And yeah Walker had a rough day. I personally would have brought him in an inning or two later but whatever. He has to manage better. Especially with Sims out for who knows how long. That's demoralizing to a team. We need Hunt back and we really need him to be healthy. Unfortunately they'll probably try to make him a starter again. I think they need to be creative and as crazy as this may sound- Cohen may help here if they ask. I'd look at using Fristoe out of the pen or using him as an opener. Cade Smith is a Friday night quality guy. Going to be hard to slide him up from Sunday this early in the season though.

It's hindsight but we probably overscheduled early. It may have been better to play USM and/or Texas Tech later in the season. Our staff is going to be taxed until after we play Princeton.

If Lemonis is apologizing like that odds are he probably is done with Stinnett.

We can rely on Simmons, Auger, Kohn, and maybe Brandon Smith. We need to figure out where we stand with Hunt, Fristoe, and Walling. I'll give Tepper another shot because he was put into a crap situation and then overextended.

Coach34
03-06-2022, 12:22 AM
Lemon and Fox are really good coaches. But even good coaches get caught up in practice warriors or "good kids" and give them more chances than others.

Stinnett has the ability to be a Closer. He has some good stuff. Stinnett however doesnt have the stones to be Closer. And that sux for him but its not uncommon. Closing takes talent plus a killer soul. Maybe 30% of pitchers have that killer soul. Stinnett was fine vs Grambling because he didnt think they could hit him so he glided thru them. But he knew Tulane could hit him and he folded.

We may not have a soul crushing guy in the pen. But Simmons right now looks to be the best choice at this point. We are who we are. Fristoe better grow up quick and take Sunday or we got problems.

Todd4State
03-06-2022, 01:22 AM
Lemon and Fox are really good coaches. But even good coaches get caught up in practice warriors or "good kids" and give them more chances than others.

Stinnett has the ability to be a Closer. He has some good stuff. Stinnett however doesnt have the stones to be Closer. And that sux for him but its not uncommon. Closing takes talent plus a killer soul. Maybe 30% of pitchers have that killer soul. Stinnett was fine vs Grambling because he didnt think they could hit him so he glided thru them. But he knew Tulane could hit him and he folded.

We may not have a soul crushing guy in the pen. But Simmons right now looks to be the best choice at this point. We are who we are. Fristoe better grow up quick and take Sunday or we got problems.

If you watch Stinnett warm up he pretty much locates it consistently in the zone. Put a batter in the box and it's all over the place. I think the coaches did a poor job too because the umpire had a little bit higher strike zone IMO and with a guy with a fragile mentality throwing up in the zone isn't ideal.

As far as Sunday- don't forget about Kohn. I'm 99% sure he will throw tomorrow. Fristoe will factor in somewhere though. Starter is possible if not likely. But we may start to use him out of the bullpen some.

Todd4State
03-06-2022, 01:25 AM
"We were just going with Parker there to figure it out. Made the wrong call."- Chris Lemonis

That was NOT the time to "figure it out." Last night or maybe today up 10-3 in the seventh- then yes. Up 10-8 on the road- just absolutely poor judgement by our coaches.

It's a lot easier to let guys "figure it out" when you basically have a MLB closer you can rely on to bail people like Stinnett and Tullar out.

trojandawg
03-06-2022, 01:31 AM
I'll be there tomorrow. Even after todays debacle. I'm hoping to see some urgency in this team snd the coaches. Yesterday hurt snd sucked to lose after having that kind of lead. Much less when if it's on the decision of a coach. Players play and they did. I just hope we don't let it demoralize us. We have to win this series if we have any hope of being a top seed this season. It's going to be struggle with sims out snd the bats being cold and hot. We have to win as many of these noncon series as we can. Not getting the easy win today when it was there is concerning as far as the attitude this year.

trojandawg
03-06-2022, 01:34 AM
If you want to try Stinnet you have lee Simmons follow for sure not the other way around. After Simmons came in and calmed things down just had to leave him in. Walker was fine the leash should have been much shorter when we had the win in if we just held the lead. Have to win series when we can

Cooterpoot
03-06-2022, 07:22 AM
What bothers me is how poorly we've recruited pitching. Losing Hooty was a little unexpected maybe, but the guys we're throwing in the pen aren't good outside a couple guys, because we moved our pen to the rotation. We failed to fill those spots even remotely.

Todd4State
03-06-2022, 10:39 AM
What bothers me is how poorly we've recruited pitching. Losing Hooty was a little unexpected maybe, but the guys we're throwing in the pen aren't good outside a couple guys, because we moved our pen to the rotation. We failed to fill those spots even remotely.

If we have seven pitchers we're doing good. I think we're close to that even with injuries.

Preston, Cade, Simmons, Auger, and maybe Kohn, and Smith.

We would be there with Sims and Hunt.

bulldog20
03-06-2022, 11:23 AM
If we have seven pitchers we're doing good. I think we're close to that even with injuries.

Preston, Cade, Simmons, Auger, and maybe Kohn, and Smith.

We would be there with Sims and Hunt.

Todd - Are there any pitchers coming in next year's class that you think will be immediate contributors? Starting or pen