PDA

View Full Version : Lemonis has some difficult lineup decisions

MaroonFlounder
03-04-2022, 09:17 AM
Which Freshmen get the call.

Is Aaron Downs fools gold? He looked completely overmatched the other night.

I like Hines, and he had 2 of the 7 hits vs USM.

Slate Alford doesn't have enough action to get a read on him.

And it would seem like another newcomer (not a FR) should get some at bats because he looks like he could really drive a ball, and that's Von Siebert.

Which FR arms does he trust? Walker or Pico? Pico threw wild with a guy at 3rd Wed night (not that it mattered)

Tulane gonna get in our heads. I don't think the Freshmen will have a good series at all.

Coach34
03-04-2022, 09:27 AM
Vs RHP:

1. Hancock 1B
2. James 3B
3. Hines DH
4. Tanner C
5. Cumbest LF
6. Clark RF
7. Yeager 2B
8. McGowan CF
9. Leggs SS

Vs LHP:

1. James 3B
2. Yeager 2B
3. Hancock 1B
4. Tanner C
5. Cumbest LF
6. Hines DH
7. Downs RF
8. Corder CF
9. Foreskin SS

Homedawg
03-04-2022, 09:32 AM

And it would seem like another newcomer (not a FR) should get some at bats because he looks like he could really drive a ball, and that's Von Siebert.

Which FR arms does he trust? Walker or Pico? Pico threw wild with a guy at 3rd Wed night (not that it mattered)

Tulane gonna get in our heads. I don't think the Freshmen will have a good series at all.

Siebert came from juco. He's a jr. Well, I guess he's a soph Bc of Covid. But you can't bench Hines or Hancock and that's where he plays. 1b.

StarkVegasSteve
03-04-2022, 10:42 AM
The bottom line is we have to find a guy who can bat lead off and get on with consistency or at least work the count. As much as I hate batting Hancock lead off he might be the best option.

Hancock
Corder
James
Hines
Tanner
Yeager
Cumbest
Downs
Forsythe

I would love Leggett at SS but since we put him in the lineup he has forgotten how to hit. And Lane is the better fielder off the two.

KOdawg1
03-04-2022, 11:12 AM
Hancock needs a shot at lead off. He at least has competitive at bats which is more than can be said about everyone else who has batted there.

Johnson85
03-04-2022, 11:16 AM
The bottom line is we have to find a guy who can bat lead off and get on with consistency or at least work the count. As much as I hate batting Hancock lead off he might be the best option.

Hancock
Corder
James
Hines
Tanner
Yeager
Cumbest
Downs
Forsythe

I would love Leggett at SS but since we put him in the lineup he has forgotten how to hit. And Lane is the better fielder off the two.

I am still surprised that Jess Davis hasn't gotten more at bats. Has he just looked clearly inferior at practice? I know he wasn't supposed to be a big offensive threat, but considering what the alternatives have shown so far, I'm surprised we aren't at least considering him.

StarkVegasSteve
03-04-2022, 11:36 AM
I am still surprised that Jess Davis hasn't gotten more at bats. Has he just looked clearly inferior at practice? I know he wasn't supposed to be a big offensive threat, but considering what the alternatives have shown so far, I'm surprised we aren't at least considering him.

They must be seeing something in practice because he really has not sniffed the field outside of a couple of PH opportunities. I think the biggest thing right now might be that offensively we are struggling so much that we need as many bats in the lineup that might run into one and put it in a gap or in the lounge and Davis most certainly will not be doing that.

somebodyshotmypaw
03-04-2022, 11:40 AM
Vs RHP:

1. Hancock 1B
2. James 3B
3. Hines DH
4. Tanner C
5. Cumbest LF
6. Clark RF
7. Yeager 2B
8. McGowan CF
9. Leggs SS

Vs LHP:

1. James 3B
2. Yeager 2B
3. Hancock 1B
4. Tanner C
5. Cumbest LF
6. Hines DH
7. Downs RF
8. Corder CF
9. Foreskin SS

I agree that we may have to do some platooning based upon the pitcher. I also wish we could drop the "Foreskin" nickname. But it does remind me that I have a good friend in the medical profession that just took a new job doing circumcisions. The base pay isn't great but he gets to keep the tips.

bulldogcountry1
03-04-2022, 11:53 AM
Right now, I am more concerned about the lack of freshman impact than the general performance of the team. The veterans usually figure it out, but not have having true freshmen making a significant impact is a big indicator of the future of your program.

It?s still early, but I?m seeing a lot of guys who are getting owned by the SWAC and Horizon League.

Coach34
03-04-2022, 11:55 AM
I also wish we could drop the "Foreskin" nickname. But it does remind me that I have a good friend in the medical profession that just took a new job doing circumcisions. The base pay isn't great but he gets to keep the tips.

Why? Nobody ever said we need to drop Rowdey and call him William or Kevin? People get nicknamed constantly. I dont even know my new QB's name this Spring. All I've been told is "G" is the QB.

We call our LF'er "Mule". Where's the outrage?

The Federalist Engineer
03-04-2022, 11:59 AM
Vs RHP:

1. Hancock 1B
2. James 3B
3. Hines DH
4. Tanner C
5. Cumbest LF
6. Clark RF
7. Yeager 2B
8. McGowan CF
9. Leggs SS

Vs LHP:

1. James 3B
2. Yeager 2B
3. Hancock 1B
4. Tanner C
5. Cumbest LF
6. Hines DH
7. Downs RF
8. Corder CF
9. Foreskin SS

Hancock actually hits for a better average on LHP than RHP. This year, he's hitting 400 before the Pearl Massacre. Last year, he was something like 30 points higher vs LHers.

Coach34
03-04-2022, 12:08 PM
Hancock actually hits for a better average on LHP than RHP. This year, he's hitting 400 before the Pearl Massacre. Last year, he was something like 30 points higher vs LHers.

Even better- altho I like what James could give us there vs LHP's.

KOdawg1
03-04-2022, 12:10 PM

Interesting.

Santiago
03-04-2022, 12:10 PM
Why? Nobody ever said we need to drop Rowdey and call him William or Kevin? People get nicknamed constantly. I dont even know my new QB's name this Spring. All I've been told is "G" is the QB.

Foreskin is a gross name/nickname.
nicknaming him Fores, or something makes sense. Foreskin comes across like a jab at him.

tcdog70
03-04-2022, 12:16 PM
let Davis or Skinner bat lead off.. but tell them to bunt some take advantage of their speed. Hell-Davis was ok hitting at UAB--then bat Hancock-Mule( he should see more fast balls batting in front of Tanner)-Tanner-Hines-James-Clark yeager-and Lane

Coach34
03-04-2022, 12:20 PM
Foreskin is a gross name/nickname.
nicknaming him Fores, or something makes sense. Foreskin comes across like a jab at him.

ahhhhh- so nicknames are fine if they are ones you like. Well guess what?

Too damn bad

wrapit
03-04-2022, 12:21 PM
on base, hits left handed pitching well, etc.

Why has he not been there yet? It's ok to occasionally hit a solo HR, right?

HoopsDawg
03-04-2022, 12:32 PM
I guess give Jess Davis a chance in CF. At least he is Elite defensively and he has experience. But I would be very close to putting James in CF and Alford at 3B. I also think we need to settle on a batting order just to get guys comfortable and in a routine. Leadoff hitter gets the most AB's so I'm good with Hancock at 1 hole.

1. Hancock, 1B
2. James, CF
3. LoTan, C
4. Hines, DH
5. Cumbest, LF
6. Clark vs Righties, Downs vs Lefties, RF
7. Alford, 3B
8. Yeager, 2B
9. Leggett, SS

Siebert, PH for Leggett on 3 or 4th AB, Fores in at SS.

MaroonFlounder
03-04-2022, 12:50 PM

Because a foreskin is part of a penis?

Just spit-balling there.

You get a kick out of coming up with nicknames for student-athletes. Leave that to Chris ESPN Berman.

Or just use nicknames that are not the equivalent of basically calling a 20-year old a "Dick".

And no, I am not Lane's dad. I have not met him in person. He doesn't know me from Adam's cat.

KOdawg1
03-04-2022, 12:50 PM
I guess give Jess Davis a chance in CF. At least he is Elite defensively and he has experience. But I would be very close to putting James in CF and Alford at 3B. I also think we need to settle on a batting order just to get guys comfortable and in a routine. Leadoff hitter gets the most AB's so I'm good with Hancock at 1 hole.

1. Hancock, 1B
2. James, CF
3. LoTan, C
4. Hines, DH
5. Cumbest, LF
6. Clark vs Righties, Downs vs Lefties, RF
7. Alford, 3B
8. Yeager, 2B
9. Leggett, SS

Siebert, PH for Leggett on 3 or 4th AB, Fores in at SS.

I'm all for getting Hines, Downs, and Alford more ABs. Not giving up on this season by any means, but next year, we lose Hancock, LoTan, probably James, and possibly Cumbest. Some of these young guys are going to have to step up so if we can get them experience, I'm all for it. Doesn't hurt that we kinda need them this year too.

HoopsDawg
03-04-2022, 01:23 PM
I'm all for getting Hines, Downs, and Alford more ABs. Not giving up on this season by any means, but next year, we lose Hancock, LoTan, probably James, and possibly Cumbest. Some of these young guys are going to have to step up so if we can get them experience, I'm all for it. Doesn't hurt that we kinda need them this year too.

Yeah, for sure. And by the end of the year, those 3 freshmen should really be able to help. Good upside in all 3.

On another note, the main issue this year has been Yeager and Clark. We knew we wouldn't get much production from the 9 hole, but Clark and Yeager are hitting a combined .052. I just don't think that will continue. And with the CF struggles, we have 4 holes in the lineup, not just 1.

Coach34
03-04-2022, 01:38 PM
You get a kick out of coming up with nicknames for student-athletes.

I do it for everybody in all walks of life. My students, players, Family, friends, people I've never met I see in a grocery store, people in movies, women I've picked up in watering holes (water hole is a nickname for a bar), restaurants, and whatever else. I've even nicknamed automobiles and vacations.

Coach34
03-04-2022, 01:39 PM
On another note, the main issue this year has been Yeager and Clark. We knew we wouldn't get much production from the 9 hole, but Clark and Yeager are hitting a combined .052. I just don't think that will continue. .

Yeah- this is the main issue facing us offensively right now. RF and 2B just cant a hole for us

StarkVegasSteve
03-04-2022, 03:09 PM
Yeah, for sure. And by the end of the year, those 3 freshmen should really be able to help. Good upside in all 3.

On another note, the main issue this year has been Yeager and Clark. We knew we wouldn't get much production from the 9 hole, but Clark and Yeager are hitting a combined .052. I just don't think that will continue. And with the CF struggles, we have 4 holes in the lineup, not just 1.

Does Clark have a hit this year?

HoopsDawg
03-04-2022, 03:20 PM

No. Yeager has 2.

Coach34
03-04-2022, 03:22 PM

No- and he's lost right now. But sitting isnt going to fix it. Extra work, a refined mental approach, and AB's is the only thing that will fix him.

Percho
03-04-2022, 03:27 PM
Vs RHP:

1. Hancock 1B
2. James 3B
3. Hines DH
4. Tanner C
5. Cumbest LF
6. Clark RF
7. Yeager 2B
8. McGowan CF
9. Leggs SS

Vs LHP:

1. James 3B
2. Yeager 2B
3. Hancock 1B
4. Tanner C
5. Cumbest LF
6. Hines DH
7. Downs RF
8. Corder CF
9. Foreskin SS

Can't help, "it," can you? :)

BeardoMSU
03-04-2022, 03:56 PM
No. Yeager has 2.

Ouch.

HoopsDawg
03-04-2022, 04:13 PM
Ouch.

Yep, basically we have replaced the SEC player of the Year in RF with a guy who has 0 hits. We placed Scotty Dubrule with a guy hitting below .100. And we have replaced Rowdey Jordan with 3 guys who aren't getting it done in CF. We can talk about mental toughness, players only meetings, Lemonis chewing ass all we want, but that's why we are sucking. That and a couple of games where our coaches went to the wrong guys out of the pen.

Commercecomet24
03-04-2022, 04:19 PM
Yep, basically we have replaced the SEC player of the Year in RF with a guy who has 0 hits. We placed Scotty Dubrule with a guy hitting below .100. And we have replaced Rowdey Jordan with 3 guys who aren't getting it done in CF. We can talk about mental toughness, players only meetings, Lemonis chewing ass all we want, but that's why we are sucking. That and a couple of games where our coaches went to the wrong guys out of the pen.

While the stats you mentioned are true if you will remember dubrule didn't hit early and neither did Rowdey(of course he didn't hit early in any year), now of course Tanner hit all year. I remember posts last year from people wanting to bench dubrule and Rowdey early in the season. Yeager has always hit and will, now lets hope we find the right combo in those 2 outfield spots.

basedog
03-04-2022, 04:42 PM
I have to laugh about "big decisions", well there is a reason some coaches make the big money. Now if he reads ED shouldn't be a problem as I read where some know what to do, LOL!

Commercecomet24
03-04-2022, 04:44 PM
I have to laugh about "big decisions", well there is a reason some coaches make the big money. Now if he reads ED shouldn't be a problem as I read where some know what to do, LOL!

Amen to that.

somebodyshotmypaw
03-04-2022, 04:47 PM
Kellum Clark is 0 for 16 (.000 batting average). Yeager is 2 for 22 (.091 batting average). So combined they are 2 for 38 (.053 batting average).

Here is another one. Our 4 primary middle infielders (Meche, Yeager, Forsythe, and Leggett) are a combined 9 for 61. That's a batting average of .148 from our second basemen and shortstops.

BeardoMSU
03-04-2022, 04:52 PM
Kellum Clark is 0 for 16 (.000 batting average). Yeager is 2 for 22 (.091 batting average). So combined they are 2 for 38 (.053 batting average).

Here is another one. Our 4 primary middle infielders (Meche, Yeager, Forsythe, and Leggett) are a combined 9 for 61. That's a batting average of .148 from our second basemen and shortstops.

ffs that's depressing.

HoopsDawg
03-04-2022, 04:54 PM
While the stats you mentioned are true if you will remember dubrule didn't hit early and neither did Rowdey(of course he didn't hit early in any year), now of course Tanner hit all year.

dubrule was hitting .267 after 9 games. Rowdey .200. I think there were maybe 2 posters wanting to bench Rowdey but a lot of posts blasting those 2 posters.

Tanner Allen, .364. That's probably worth 2 more wins if he's in RF. Damn, I appreciate him more and more. Amazing the difference 1 or 2 players make. Sims, Allen, Bednar, and Rowdey carried a lot of the load last year.

basedog
03-04-2022, 05:00 PM
dubrule was hitting .267 after 9 games. Rowdey .200. I think there were maybe 2 posters wanting to bench Rowdey but a lot of posts blasting those 2 posters.

Tanner Allen, .364. That's probably worth 2 more wins if he's in RF. Damn, I appreciate him more and more. Amazing the difference 1 or 2 players make. Sims, Allen, Bednar, and Rowdey carried a lot of the load last year.

Big Time! Hard to replace a .400 hitter.

The Federalist Engineer
03-04-2022, 05:38 PM

This is potentially a sign that our new bats suck. The actual bats. These Lousiville Sluggers Suck, we can't even hit Grambling pitching.

Kellum should be using the same bat that made him a hero in Omaha (cant tell the brand in the picture, Warstic "Gunner"?). Don't over think it, stick with the magic. RJ Yeager was the marquee man at Mercer with an Easton.

DO NOT use the same bat brand as Justin Hatcher.

https://den.mercer.edu/wp-content/uploads/2021/08/Delano_and_Yeager.jpg

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/LkN79OCYCp0/maxresdefault.jpg

https://www.si.com/.image/ar_1:1%2Cc_fill%2Ccs_srgb%2Cfl_progressive%2Cq_aut o:good%2Cw_1200/MTc5NjY2MDc5NTIwNzI5MDQ4/img_2083.jpg

Homedawg
03-04-2022, 05:42 PM
We haven't hit the barrel enough to know if the bat sucks or not...... I think that green bat is a Demarini I'll have to ask my son to be certain

Commercecomet24
03-04-2022, 05:54 PM

Actually dubrule was .235(8-34) and rowdey was .195(8-41) after 9 games, still better than production from those positions this year, obviously. And Tanner was a beast!

smootness
03-04-2022, 06:03 PM
I do it for everybody in all walks of life. My students, players, Family, friends, people I've never met I see in a grocery store, people in movies, women I've picked up in watering holes (water hole is a nickname for a bar), restaurants, and whatever else. I've even nicknamed automobiles and vacations.

If you give them all similar nicknames to the ones you give State players, I hate to be the one to break this to you, but they don't like you.

KOdawg1
03-04-2022, 07:02 PM
We haven't hit the barrel enough to know if the bat sucks or not...... I think that green bat is a Demarini I'll have to ask my son to be certain

It is. I'm a big demarini fan.

SteelCurtain74
03-04-2022, 07:07 PM
Hancock is leading off tonight. Hopefully he can be a spark for the offense.

Maroonthirteen
03-04-2022, 07:09 PM

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">3⃣0⃣ minutes till first pitch. <br><br>Tonight's lineup ⤵️ <a href="https://t.co/YkswQLcIgG">pic.twitter.com/YkswQLcIgG</a></p>&mdash; Mississippi State Baseball (@HailStateBB) <a href="https://twitter.com/HailStateBB/status/1499897579655602179?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">March 5, 2022</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

ED was very close.

CaptainObvious
03-04-2022, 07:14 PM
Hope they don?t hit many line drives to the outfield. We took away the speed guys out there for tonight?s game.

HoopsDawg
03-04-2022, 07:14 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">3⃣0⃣ minutes till first pitch. <br><br>Tonight's lineup ⤵️ <a href="https://t.co/YkswQLcIgG">pic.twitter.com/YkswQLcIgG</a></p>— Mississippi State Baseball (@HailStateBB) <a href="https://twitter.com/HailStateBB/status/1499897579655602179?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">March 5, 2022</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

ED was very close.

Lemonis is a boss.

HoopsDawg
03-04-2022, 07:17 PM

It's The Goods by Demarini. Now Clark is using the Louisville Power Select which is the Louisville Slugger version of The Goods.

Patrick Tibbons
03-04-2022, 07:24 PM

Rowdey was called Rowdey since birth by his father.
Mule got his nickname when he was 4 or 5 by friends and family, because he was bigger than everyone else his age.

Both seemed to have embraced the nicknames.

You, a random message board poster, decided to start calling a baseball player Foreskin which is part of the male penis.

I seriously doubt Lane would embrace the nickname Foreskin like Rowdey and Mule did for their nicknames.

I think you can see how these things are different. But your shtick is to be obtuse and troll to get a rise out of people. A majority of the time it works, so kudos to you I guess.

Coach34
03-04-2022, 09:23 PM
If you give them all similar nicknames to the ones you give State players, I hate to be the one to break this to you, but they don't like you.

yeahhhhhhhh, I dont care

TNDawg35
03-05-2022, 06:51 AM
Rowdey was called Rowdey since birth by his father.
Mule got his nickname when he was 4 or 5 by friends and family, because he was bigger than everyone else his age.

Both seemed to have embraced the nicknames.

You, a random message board poster, decided to start calling a baseball player Foreskin which is part of the male penis.

I seriously doubt Lane would embrace the nickname Foreskin like Rowdey and Mule did for their nicknames.

I think you can see how these things are different. But your shtick is to be obtuse and troll to get a rise out of people. A majority of the time it works, so kudos to you I guess.

Your trying to talk reason to a jackass who tried to sell coffee to the board. Hence why he should be called Coffee34. That and well, cause he is a jackass like I stated…

smootness
03-05-2022, 08:50 AM
yeahhhhhhhh, I dont care

COOL!