PDA

View Full Version : Word of warning, for dawgs going to Tulane

Offshore Dawg
03-03-2022, 06:13 PM
Almost daily armed carjacking at service stations, and drive by shooting. Plus the normal drug related murders. So folks stay alert like you would at Memorial stadium in Jackson.

R2Dawg
03-03-2022, 08:02 PM
Almost daily armed carjacking at service stations, and drive by shooting. Plus the normal drug related murders. So folks stay alert like you would at Memorial stadium in Jackson.

Another warning is watch out for the mugging at the baseball game, it could get ugly.

RougeDawg
03-03-2022, 09:38 PM
Another warning is watch out for the mugging at the baseball game, it could get ugly.

I chuckled. Will probably be 3 of many muggings this weekend.

In all seriousness, this part of town is generally safe and probably as safe as you can find. I live 3 blocks from the stadium and there are some bad areas 1/2 mile away in a couple directions. This area has a few paid off duty officers running night patrols. Seems to deter everything, plus there are many police in this area who bring their vehicles home with them. My street has 1 NOPD sergeant, 1 Sheriffs deputy, and a FBI agent. Since we and others have installed surveillance cameras outside homes the crime has sought other areas. Do not venture northwest of corners of Carrollton/Claiborne or South and East of Claiborne/Napoleon then back down to Cooter Browns (St.Charles/Carrollton). Stay between those and it's generally safe.

For those coming there are some decent places within walking distance of game to grab some food or beverages. Felipe's (burrito place) is nice and in a little area behind the Shell Station across the street from Stadium. Also have Ted's Frostop for an old fashioned diner/burger experience. Have Moe's Barbecue around the corner. Not Memphis BBQ but pretty good. Mid City Pizza is so so and slim on toppings. Pyramid Cafe is a Mediterranean place. Bayou Hot wings. All in and around Calhoun Street. Do not venture far up Calhoun. It can get Sketchy. There is a Liquor Store in behind the Shell station that has any type of beer, wine or alcohol you want. They close at 7 pm and are not open on Sunday so purchase wisely.

Oak Street, Freret Street and Maple Street areas are all nice places with more Restaurant type places for a sit down meal. Cooter Browns has a ton of TV's and some Oysters.

In general this area has a pretty strong police presence and is safe. Just stay on the main thoroughfares when you go through a sketchy part. There are pocket of sketch and then safe areas. You'll be able to tell. I ride my bike around day and night around here down through the university area and Audubon Park area and have never felt unsafe in 11 years. Doesn't mean I dont bring along ole trusty, but you'll be fine. As for the baseball team, that's TBD.

Leeshouldveflanked
03-03-2022, 09:46 PM
So safer than Memphis?

OLJWales
03-03-2022, 09:55 PM
I chuckled. Will probably be 3 of many muggings this weekend.

In all seriousness, this part of town is generally safe and probably as safe as you can find. I live 3 blocks from the stadium and there are some bad areas 1/2 mile away in a couple directions. This area has a few paid off duty officers running night patrols. Seems to deter everything, plus there are many police in this area who bring their vehicles home with them. My street has 1 NOPD sergeant, 1 Sheriffs deputy, and a FBI agent. Since we and others have installed surveillance cameras outside homes the crime has sought other areas. Do not venture northwest of corners of Carrollton/Claiborne or South and East of Claiborne/Napoleon then back down to Cooter Browns (St.Charles/Carrollton). Stay between those and it's generally safe.

For those coming there are some decent places within walking distance of game to grab some food or beverages. Felipe's (burrito place) is nice and in a little area behind the Shell Station across the street from Stadium. Also have Ted's Frostop for an old fashioned diner/burger experience. Have Moe's Barbecue around the corner. Not Memphis BBQ but pretty good. Mid City Pizza is so so and slim on toppings. Pyramid Cafe is a Mediterranean place. Bayou Hot wings. All in and around Calhoun Street. Do not venture far up Calhoun. It can get Sketchy. There is a Liquor Store in behind the Shell station that has any type of beer, wine or alcohol you want. They close at 7 pm and are not open on Sunday so purchase wisely.

Oak Street, Freret Street and Maple Street areas are all nice places with more Restaurant type places for a sit down meal. Cooter Browns has a ton of TV's and some Oysters.

In general this area has a pretty strong police presence and is safe. Just stay on the main thoroughfares when you go through a sketchy part. There are pocket of sketch and then safe areas. You'll be able to tell. I ride my bike around day and night around here down through the university area and Audubon Park area and have never felt unsafe in 11 years. Doesn't mean I dont bring along ole trusty, but you'll be fine. As for the baseball team, that's TBD.

Thank you for this post. Was transferred to Fort Worth 6 weeks prior to Katrina from Fat City after 7 yrs in The Big Easy. Would give anything to be in The French Quarter right now eating raw oysters and crawfish.

parabrave
03-03-2022, 10:29 PM

OUCH. Winner of the week. Rep given

TheLostDawg
03-04-2022, 10:04 PM
Fat Harry's is a fun bar around there. Next door is a good restaurant called superior. Vincent's is some of the best Italian you'll ever eat.

parabrave
03-04-2022, 11:33 PM

Well there was a mugging tonight. But the Muggee had a concealed carry permit/

parabrave
03-04-2022, 11:38 PM
Fat Harry's is a fun bar around there. Next door is a good restaurant called superior. Vincent's is some of the best Italian you'll ever eat.

A dam good Italian eatery is Venezia on N Carrolton right pass Canal. 4 doors down is Brocatos.