PDA

View Full Version : Well yesterday was garbage for State fans

Coach34
03-03-2022, 10:24 AM
Basketball:

Huge game against a top 5 team. Had to win it to stay in contention for an NCAA Tourney berth. Survived some early heat from Auburn shooting the ball. Fought and clawed our way back into the lead in spite of our embarrassing 3 point shooting. We just played tough, grown man basketball in the paint and took control of the game. So we get to the last 2 minutes and what does Howland do? We stop doing what we were doing and go to spreading the floor, burn clock, and absolutely blow the game. Wow. You waste a Herculean effort from Garcia doing every little thing possible as a teammate to help this team. You waste Tolu at the end who played good basketball against a top team. We pounded the paint, outrebounded the hell out of them, and then stop that the last 2 minutes. Just f'ing stupid.

And the last 2 games have really shown why this is not an NCAA Tourney team. Awful perimeter shooting. I mean below college level shooting

Baseball:

Todd summed up alot of my thoughts. Coaching is lacking right now. As is performance by the players. Our approach at the plate is absolute garbage. We arent hitting the fastball, breaking ball, or change well right now. Missing way too many fastballs or outright just watching them. That cant happen at that level. It's one thing to be fooled by breaking pitches or offspeed- but if you are routinely being fooled by fastballs- it's your approach that is dogshit.

So it's time to change the approach with some of these guys. It's not fitting them. We're hitting .260 right now and we havent even gotten to SEC play. Striking out way too much. Not even close to enough solid contact. It's time to make a little change in BP. Add some different drills with the tees. Got to find a little something that helps. When your team is not performing- it falls on the coach. We don't just have a couple of guys struggling- we have most of the line-up struggling. We dont have a leadoff hitter. Everybody sees that now. Leadoff with Hancock and lets get going. Bite the bullet and make the move. Wasting time trying to plug guy after guy there isnt going to fix anything. Let Hatcher get up there and have some good AB's to start the game off.

Pitching? Thats just going to take time. The young guys have to get experience and begin to be comfortable. The older guys have to perform. Thats the bottom line. Fristoe has got to get past the point of dealing with trouble. It happens to all pitchers. Deal with it and get past it. Stop the mushroom.

Compete this weekend. HailState

msstate7
03-03-2022, 10:32 AM
I certainly see your point about the end of the game, but Molinar did get 2-3 point blank shots that he almost always makes. I can live with Molinar getting those looks. Just didn't work out.

New coach needs to recruit the hell out of tolu to return and find some perimeter shooters. Anyone know if Hamilton can shoot? Is carter expected to be an outside threat?

Coach34
03-03-2022, 10:37 AM
I certainly see your point about the end of the game, but Molinar did get 2-3 point blank shots that he almost always makes. I can live with Molinar getting those looks. Just didn't work out.

New coach needs to recruit the hell out of tolu to return and find some perimeter shooters. Anyone know if Hamilton can shoot? Is carter expected to be an outside threat?

Molinar was 5-19 from the field last night. He was being defended better than normal. Last night was not the time for that. One of his shots he got was a fall away 18 footer. That's not point blank

basedog
03-03-2022, 10:40 AM
Molinar has a ton of talent, but he needs another year of college ball. I'm sure or think he will test the market, but he is still young and should get better by playing not sitting on a NBA bench IF he makes it. Same for Tolu.

msstate7
03-03-2022, 10:45 AM
Molinar has a ton of talent, but he needs another year of college ball. I'm sure or think he will test the market, but he is still young and should get better by playing not sitting on a NBA bench IF he makes it. Same for Tolu.

If we could somehow retain those 2 and add a shooter, we could be damn good

basedog
03-03-2022, 10:49 AM
If we could somehow retain those 2 and add a shooter, we could be damn good

No doubt, add Garcia who is a gamer. Odds of playing in the NBA is much less than NFL and MLB for any.

tcdog70
03-03-2022, 10:58 AM
At this point -I would put Clark back in the lineup-and tell Him -you're my guy go hit the damn ball. i might play the UAB guy in CF and if he gets on base let Him run. Move Mule if front of Tanner.I would start UAB guy-Hines-Mule-Tanner. tell lead off to work the count or here is wild idea maybe bunt.

somebodyshotmypaw
03-03-2022, 11:01 AM
Leadoff with Hatcher and lets get going. Bite the bullet and make the move. Wasting time trying to plug guy after guy there isnt going to fix anything. Let Hatcher get up there and have some good AB's to start the game off.

Do you mean Hancock?

parabrave
03-03-2022, 11:01 AM
Mol is degressing as a perimeter Shooter. He is a 46% shooter, 25% from the 3 Pt and 87% at the FT/

msstate7
03-03-2022, 11:07 AM
Mol is degressing as a perimeter Shooter. He is a 46% shooter, 25% from the 3 Pt and 87% at the FT/

Most disappointing is this...
3-pt shooting:
Freshman - 37.1%
Soph - 43.6%
Junior - 25.7%

Hopefully someone convinces him to return and get that 3-pt shooting better

Coach34
03-03-2022, 11:08 AM
Do you mean Hancock?

yeahhhhhhh

somebodyshotmypaw
03-03-2022, 11:16 AM
yeahhhhhhh

i know the feeling. I was trying to discuss Logan Tanner last season in a thread and kept typing Luke Hancock. Brain fart.

smootness
03-03-2022, 11:42 AM
We may be the worst shooting team I've ever seen. We're shooting under 30% as a team and our best shooters are Cam Matthews and Garrison Brooks. That is unreal in this day and age. We won't win anything until we get guys who shoot better than that.

smootness
03-03-2022, 11:47 AM
Most disappointing is this...
3-pt shooting:
Freshman - 37.1%
Soph - 43.6%
Junior - 25.7%

Hopefully someone convinces him to return and get that 3-pt shooting better

We've had several guys recently who had a WTF shooting year. Q, Peters, Nick W, all of them. Tyson Carter had his worst shooting year by far as a senior. Just bizarre.

msstate7
03-03-2022, 11:49 AM
We've had several guys recently who had a WTF shooting year. Q, Peters, Nick W, all of them. Tyson Carter had his worst shooting year by far as a senior. Just bizarre.

Cursed. We're a cursed program

maroonmania
03-03-2022, 12:01 PM
1 for our last 33 attempts on 3 pointers. That is hard to even believe. I haven't played basketball in years but if I walked out on a court today and blindfolded myself I believe I could make one 3 pointer in 33 tries. Geez Louise.

MoreCowbell
03-03-2022, 12:12 PM
Basketball:

Huge game against a top 5 team. Had to win it to stay in contention for an NCAA Tourney berth. Survived some early heat from Auburn shooting the ball. Fought and clawed our way back into the lead in spite of our embarrassing 3 point shooting. We just played tough, grown man basketball in the paint and took control of the game. So we get to the last 2 minutes and what does Howland do? We stop doing what we were doing and go to spreading the floor, burn clock, and absolutely blow the game. Wow. You waste a Herculean effort from Garcia doing every little thing possible as a teammate to help this team. You waste Tolu at the end who played good basketball against a top team. We pounded the paint, outrebounded the hell out of them, and then stop that the last 2 minutes. Just f'ing stupid.

And the last 2 games have really shown why this is not an NCAA Tourney team. Awful perimeter shooting. I mean below college level shooting

Baseball:

Todd summed up alot of my thoughts. Coaching is lacking right now. As is performance by the players. Our approach at the plate is absolute garbage. We arent hitting the fastball, breaking ball, or change well right now. Missing way too many fastballs or outright just watching them. That cant happen at that level. It's one thing to be fooled by breaking pitches or offspeed- but if you are routinely being fooled by fastballs- it's your approach that is dogshit.

So it's time to change the approach with some of these guys. It's not fitting them. We're hitting .260 right now and we havent even gotten to SEC play. Striking out way too much. Not even close to enough solid contact. It's time to make a little change in BP. Add some different drills with the tees. Got to find a little something that helps. When your team is not performing- it falls on the coach. We don't just have a couple of guys struggling- we have most of the line-up struggling. We dont have a leadoff hitter. Everybody sees that now. Leadoff with Hancock and lets get going. Bite the bullet and make the move. Wasting time trying to plug guy after guy there isnt going to fix anything. Let Hatcher get up there and have some good AB's to start the game off.

Pitching? Thats just going to take time. The young guys have to get experience and begin to be comfortable. The older guys have to perform. Thats the bottom line. Fristoe has got to get past the point of dealing with trouble. It happens to all pitchers. Deal with it and get past it. Stop the mushroom.

Howland really is a terrible Xs and Os coach. It is undeniable.

msstate7
03-03-2022, 12:14 PM
1 for our last 33 attempts on 3 pointers. That is hard to even believe. I haven't played basketball in years but if I walked out on a court today and blindfolded myself I believe I could make one 3 pointer in 33 tries. Geez Louise.

We really are a bad 3-pt shooting team, but this is clearly flukish. This team gets nothing but bad luck

AROB44
03-03-2022, 12:14 PM
Can not win in todays basketball without making 3 pointers. We just have to find more than one of them.

MoreCowbell
03-03-2022, 12:15 PM
Basketball:

Baseball:

The dumbest Howland decision was at end of regulation when there was 45 seconds left and a tie game, instead of trying to score quick and get a 2 for 1 possession we run the clock down and iso Molinar who bricks it to give Auburn the ball and time for the last possession. Luckily Auburn had a brain fart.

msstate7
03-03-2022, 12:17 PM
The dumbest Howland decision was at end of regulation when there was 45 seconds left and a tie game, instead of trying to score quick and get a 2 for 1 possession we run the clock down and iso Molinar who bricks it to give Auburn the ball and time for the last possession. Luckily Auburn had a brain fart.

I wanted the 2 for 1 also, but it's pretty rare for college teams to actually do it. Pros do it like every time, but not colleges

MoreCowbell
03-03-2022, 12:18 PM
We really are a bad 3-pt shooting team, but this is clearly flukish. This team gets nothing but bad luck

It is not flukish really. Howland recruits athletes not basketball players. When was the last time we had a team where a strength was 3 point shooting? MAYBE Quindarry/Newman/Tyson Carter freshman year?

MoreCowbell
03-03-2022, 12:22 PM

I take that back, after Molinar iso for 20 seconds he kicked it out to Brooks for the 3 who airballed it by 5 feet

msstate7
03-03-2022, 12:23 PM
It is not flukish really. Howland recruits athletes not basketball players. When was the last time we had a team where a strength was 3 point shooting? MAYBE Quindarry/Newman/Tyson Carter freshman year?

So you think being a 3% 3-pt shooting team in a 10% sample size is an accurate portrait of our ability? I'm sorry, but that's nuts. We were shooting over 10x that the previous 28 games

Coach34
03-03-2022, 12:33 PM

That was dumb also.

Coach34
03-03-2022, 12:38 PM
So you think being a 3% 3-pt shooting team in a 10% sample size is an accurate portrait of our ability? I'm sorry, but that's nuts. We were shooting over 10x that the previous 28 games

Reasons teams have shooting problems:

1. Guys just dont shoot well and are basically athletes
2. Dont work on it enough. Time spent doing too many other things
3. Shooters are smaller and guarded by bigger players (we had this problem years ago when we had OWatt and Chucky as our guards. Peters and Carter had this problem at times)
4. Your offense sux
5. Your offense doesnt match your personnel

msstate7
03-03-2022, 12:41 PM

3. Shooters are smaller and guarded by bigger players (we had this problem years ago when we had OWatt and Chucky as our guards. Peters and Carter had this problem at times)
4. Your offense sux

Again, we aren't a good 3-pt shooting team. We are not a 3% from 3 level bad though. That's ridiculous to say we are.

HoopsDawg
03-03-2022, 12:45 PM

gave AU all the power. And we took a Garrison Brooks deep step back 3 to boot.

Should have immediately gone ball screen to Molinar going downhill for a drive or dish. Worse case scenario, we miss, AU scores, we still get the last shot. Can't play for overtime against a more talented team like we did vs UK and AU

smootness
03-03-2022, 01:57 PM
Again, we aren't a good 3-pt shooting team. We are not a 3% from 3 level bad though. That's ridiculous to say we are.

That's obviously true, but if you're no better than 30% as a team, you just can't every say 'Eh, we should be making more' IMO.

parabrave
03-03-2022, 02:08 PM
gave AU all the power. And we took a Garrison Brooks deep step back 3 to boot.

Should have immediately gone ball screen to Molinar going downhill for a drive or dish. Worse case scenario, we miss, AU scores, we still get the last shot. Can't play for overtime against a more talented team like we did vs UK and AU

This and Mol would have drawn a foul also. Our last 2 mins were headscratching.

CarolinaDawgs
03-03-2022, 02:34 PM

Those are fooking Roulette odds damn near.

Side note going to Vegas for conference tourney week this year and I wont be caught dead in maroon.

somebodyshotmypaw
03-03-2022, 03:21 PM

4. Your offense sux

Item 3 applied to Darryl Wilson. He wasn't a tall guy. So look at Item 4. Richard Williams did a good job of running Wilson off of screens to give him a good look from the 3-point line. I agree with you that if your shooters are smaller, you have to utilize the offense to get them open with good looks. If your offense sux, then you have to have guys that can simply shoot over defenders while contested.

msstate7
03-03-2022, 03:39 PM
Kenpom has our offense 57th, which isn't great, but hardly horrible (7th in sec). It's actually amazing considering how terrible we are from 3-pt. If we had just 1 guy that could hit 40%, we'd be really tough on offense. Not having that guy is on howland even considering the nosedive Molinar took from 3 this year

Coach34
03-03-2022, 03:43 PM
Item 3 applied to Darryl Wilson. He wasn't a tall guy. So look at Item 4. Richard Williams did a good job of running Wilson off of screens to give him a good look from the 3-point line. I agree with you that if your shooters are smaller, you have to utilize the offense to get them open with good looks. If your offense sux, then you have to have guys that can simply shoot over defenders while contested.

Good point also. Williams had guys defending Super D running thru double staggered screens and all kinds of shit chasing him around. He really did a good job maximizing Wilson's talent to shoot.

Coach34
03-03-2022, 03:44 PM
Kenpom has our offense 57th, which isn't great, but hardly horrible (7th in sec). It's actually amazing considering how terrible we are from 3-pt. If we had just 1 guy that could hit 40%, we'd be really tough on offense. Not having that guy is on howland even considering the nosedive Molinar took from 3 this year

Our offense is really good in the post area- we just dont do a good job of getting catch and shoot ops from the perimeter.

msstate7
03-03-2022, 03:49 PM
https://i.postimg.cc/hjzWPD1m/B7116258-9-D61-4495-B886-EB26-EBBC9332.jpg (https://postimg.cc/dkYS5KXQ)

I found this amazing for a couple of reasons:

1. We aren't the worst in the sec haha
2. Auburn, Florida, bama, and ark are at or below 32.

R2Dawg
03-03-2022, 03:50 PM
Molinar had a bad shooting night, hey he is due one or two a year. Sucks it happened on a night we just needed average out of him.

Another uncharacteristic thing from the game, Molinar is as cool as can be and the elbow he threw decided the game. We win by one if that doesn't happen. Little things have got us this year.

Molinar and Smith need to return. Get the right coach and a few more pieces (shooters) and a new coach can make noise in year one.

Coach34
03-03-2022, 03:58 PM
Molinar had a bad shooting night, hey he is due one or two a year. .

Molinar was being guarded last night. That's why he had a bad night.

MoreCowbell
03-03-2022, 05:43 PM

Does it matter? We still are a horrible 3 pt shooting team. Someone earlier said we are 300th out of like 330

MoreCowbell
03-03-2022, 05:45 PM
https://i.postimg.cc/hjzWPD1m/B7116258-9-D61-4495-B886-EB26-EBBC9332.jpg (https://postimg.cc/dkYS5KXQ)

I found this amazing for a couple of reasons:

1. We aren't the worst in the sec haha
2. Auburn, Florida, bama, and ark are at or below 32.

We attempt way less than anyone else too

msstate7
03-03-2022, 05:56 PM
We attempt way less than anyone else too

Yep. As crazy as it sounds, maybe we should too. It seems counterproductive, but if you get more off, you'll get more in

R2Dawg
03-03-2022, 07:52 PM
Molinar was being guarded last night. That's why he had a bad night.

You really think that is the first time he has been guarded all year? Every team guns for him. He has performed all year. He had a bad night, he ain't due one? My goodness people he is one of two players in country in double figures all year.

Saltydog
03-03-2022, 08:20 PM

It's not bad luck. It's shitty coaching and poor execution.

msstate7
03-03-2022, 08:29 PM
It's not bad luck. It's shitty coaching and poor execution.

So when we were at ..343 (5th in sec) last year, it was good coaching?

Saltydog
03-03-2022, 09:06 PM
So when we were at ..343 (5th in sec) last year, it was good coaching?

Nope, it was still horrible coaching. He's just recruited well enough to mask some of his shitty coaching.

OLJWales
03-03-2022, 09:44 PM
Hard to believe our baseball team found a way to suck harder than The Hoops Joke.

Coach34
03-03-2022, 10:11 PM
You really think that is the first time he has been guarded all year? Every team guns for him.

And some teams have better players defensively at certain positions. They matched up with him very well last night making it very tough for him to score. As I posted earlier- in the last 2 minutes when we spread it out and put the ball in his hands- he had to settle for an 18 foot fall away jumper that is an extremely low percentage shot. He couldnt get to the paint because his ass was being locked up. When you isolate like that- you arent thinking 18 foot fall away jump shot.

tcdog70
03-04-2022, 12:30 PM
And some teams have better players defensively at certain positions. They matched up with him very well last night making it very tough for him to score. As I posted earlier- in the last 2 minutes when we spread it out and put the ball in his hands- he had to settle for an 18 foot fall away jumper that is an extremely low percentage shot. He couldnt get to the paint because his ass was being locked up. When you isolate like that- you arent thinking 18 foot fall away jump shot.

slowing it down and not trying to score until 10 seconds was stupid. the fact that we shot a 3 for the win was even more stupid. we should have jumped into the high ball screen from the get go-and hope we could get Tolu the ball.