PDA

View Full Version : Baseball Team is Freaking Embarrassing.

Todd4State
03-02-2022, 11:42 PM
Just a disgrace to the game all around.

1. Our guys need to get their head out of their ass. From coaches on down.

2. You win a National Title and know everyone is going to come after us and you put that bullshit hitting approach out there? Really? WTF? Throw in some mental errors and a ton of walks too while we're at it boys. Good job. Not going to hit much taking fastballs and swinging at sliders out of the zone at any level. Been like this the whole ****ing year. I bet Tulane's pitchers are looking forward to having the ****ing game of their lives this weekend because even the shittiest pitcher on a SWAC team can get people out like that. See yesterday as exhibit A.

3. Speaking of having our heads up our ass this team likely has no leadoff hitter. Which is pretty big ****ing problem because we're living and dying with Earl Weaver ball right now and so far we have done a hell of a lot more dying than living. Rowdey and TA had some power but this team doesn't have anyone that even gets on base consistently. Like those two or a Mangum. Therefore it's all long ball or nothing. For some reason we have gotten away from having a couple of guys that just get on base and have some speed to cause things to happen. Could be a stolen base, could be taking an extra base, could be laying down a drag bunt. As it is we have an all or nothing bullshit approach that lacks toughness and even if we hit it out odds are it's a solo shot since the other hitters have likely struck out. And we won't even try the guy we recruited to be the leadoff hitter in Jess Davis. Not saying he's the answer but we won't find out if we don't give him a chance.

4. Gautreau needs to stop treating these players like pro hitters in the minors and start treating them like college kids that don't know what the hell they're doing. I'd be absolutely livid if I was in Lemonis's shoes if I see my team strike out the same way over and over again while our hitting coach just sits on his ass waiting for SEC play to start to go to work. ****ing stupid. Maybe since we're playing his alma mater this weekend he'll maybe at least try to make an adjustment or two a couple of weeks sooner.

5. 7 walks and 2 WP's with only 5 K's. We should NEVER have a stat line where we have more walks than K's. Oh yeah- we hit a guy too. Foxhall needs to find some guys with a sack that will attack the zone instead of just giving away AB's. We only allowed seven hits which isn't that bad. Of course it's hard to pitches that aren't strikes. Thank you Mikey Tepper and Brooks Auger for showing some balls. Maybe that will rub off on some others.

6. This team may make a regional. Whatever happens it's not going to be up to MSU standard. I've seen this team play before and they just don't have "it". We look like one of Polk's teams in the mid 2000's.

7. Hey Lemonis or Cohen or whoever makes our schedule- rule number one don't schedule a two game midweek when you play USM or Ole Miss. That's just ****ing dumb. Instead of coming into this game off of a big offensive day we have to play Grambling's junkball guy who of course we made look like RA Dickey his Cy Young year and shot any momentum we had. If you are going to schedule a two game midweek at least play the SWAC team on Weds.

I'm pissed off. This isn't MSU baseball. And I want MSU baseball back.

parabrave
03-02-2022, 11:52 PM
Well Good points. Especially 2 and 3. It seems they want to hit nothing but dingers and now the book is already out on our approach at the plate. And it didn't take long for that to happen. And until we get a reliable leadoff hitter who understands that it's his job to just get on base and then a #2 hitter who understands it's his job to move him over we are going to suck. Hopefully they get their heads out of their asses by Tuesday otherwise TT is going to shove a ungreased telephone pole up our 4th point of contact.

TNDawg35
03-03-2022, 12:05 AM
Word is Lemonis went ape shit after the game. I heard from a couple different people during the game towards the end he was roasting the shit out of players in the dugout and then had a come to Jesus(who can hit a curveball by the way) with everyone after the game…

Todd4State
03-03-2022, 12:20 AM
Word is Lemonis went ape shit after the game. I heard from a couple different people during the game towards the end he was roasting the shit out of players in the dugout and then had a come to Jesus(who can hit a curveball by the way) with everyone after the game…

Absolutely good to hear. They deserved every bit of it and more.

Activated Alpha
03-03-2022, 12:29 AM
Word is Lemonis went ape shit after the game. I heard from a couple different people during the game towards the end he was roasting the shit out of players in the dugout and then had a come to Jesus(who can hit a curveball by the way) with everyone after the game?

Sounds like a Cohen talk. It needed to be done and def before this weekend. Hopefully our guys respond positively too hit and take better approaches. Hopefully Geaut was listening as well because his ass deserves to be chewed out too.

OLJWales
03-03-2022, 12:34 AM
https://youtu.be/Cc_V2SeDh6c

RougeDawg
03-03-2022, 12:39 AM
Todd, maybe this is a wake up call after a ?pitchers duel? against Grambling. Nothing against their program. They appear to have some quality players and I saw a few potential successful professional players. Their Catcher is a plus plus plus guy that can really develop in a developmental MLB organization. He has the ability.

Maybe it?s the NC hangover. Maybe it?s arrogance. Maybe it?s believing talent can win alone. Talent doesn?t win over prepared and smart under talented teams in baseball. It?s single greatest sport where your mental preparation can overcome talent deficiencies. You give me a team of 3* guys who truly know the game and mentally prepare and I?ll beat any team on any field. I?ll pressure you because I?ll have my guys prepared physically and mentally to pressure your talent into mistakes. Baseball is all about the small things, advantages of angles and creating deception that isn?t there for the opposition.

You play mind games, especially at the college level, and you can beat anyone any day.

TNDawg35
03-03-2022, 12:54 AM
Todd, maybe this is a wake up call after a ?pitchers duel? against Grambling. Nothing against their program. They appear to have some quality players and I saw a few potential successful professional players. Their Catcher is a plus plus plus guy that can really develop in a developmental MLB organization. He has the ability.

Maybe it?s the NC hangover. Maybe it?s arrogance. Maybe it?s believing talent can win alone. Talent doesn?t win over prepared and smart under talented teams in baseball. It?s single greatest sport where your mental preparation can overcome talent deficiencies. You give me a team of 3* guys who truly know the game and mentally prepare and I?ll beat any team on any field. I?ll pressure you because I?ll have my guys prepared physically and mentally to pressure your talent into mistakes. Baseball is all about the small things, advantages of angles and creating deception that isn?t there for the opposition.

You play mind games, especially at the college level, and you can beat anyone any day.

I honestly think it’s cause we just aren’t that good. James was streaky last year, Clark could smash when the ball was in a certain spot, Cumbest would surprise every once in awhile, LT is lazy and thinks he is great (which he could be and would possibly be a #1 pick, but it’s in his head), Hancock is what he is, and Ella poor Forsythe, he just ain’t ready at bat. He is elite defensively but can’t hit for shit…

This team needs a wake up call. Just cause you were on the team last year shouldn’t mean shit. I would bench every damn one of them, including Logan Tanner. Play people who give a shit and will ****in try. If we have to play 9 damn freshman, play them. Time for Lemonis to show why he is one of the best in the business.

Oh and I would tell Our hitting coach to be looking at the end of the year. If we want to be elite and keep the train rolling, we can’t get hung up on a certain coach cause of this or that. This is too many years in a row we are subpar at hitting. We make no adjustments whatsoever. Like someone else said, time to stop treating them like they are minor league and professional hitters and do your ****in job…

Todd4State
03-03-2022, 01:15 AM

This team is unable to put pressure on anyone because we have a group of either:

1. Free swinging power hitters like LoTan, James, Kellum Clark, Cumbest, etc.

2. Good defenders who can't hit or get on base like Corder, Forsythe, or Jess Davis

3. And then there's Luke Hancock

It's a recruiting issue. Cohen and Cann prioritized getting tough players like Mangum, Stovall, TA, Rowdey, hell- I'll even go there and say Luke Alexander had some of the most clutch hits I've ever seen- two against Ole Miss, one against Washington in Omaha, had a key hit against Vanderbilt in our SR against them in Nashville, and walked off Alabama. He may have been a .200 hitter but he had balls with the game on the line.

Anyway- we can't put pressure on anyone because of the types of players we have. The free swingers we have operate much better when you have guys getting on base in front of them wreaking havoc. This team either strikes out or hit a solo shot.

Todd4State
03-03-2022, 01:22 AM
I honestly think it’s cause we just aren’t that good. James was streaky last year, Clark could smash when the ball was in a certain spot, Cumbest would surprise every once in awhile, LT is lazy and thinks he is great (which he could be and would possibly be a #1 pick, but it’s in his head), Hancock is what he is, and Ella poor Forsythe, he just ain’t ready at bat. He is elite defensively but can’t hit for shit…

This team needs a wake up call. Just cause you were on the team last year shouldn’t mean shit. I would bench every damn one of them, including Logan Tanner. Play people who give a shit and will ****in try. If we have to play 9 damn freshman, play them. Time for Lemonis to show why he is one of the best in the business.

Oh and I would tell Our hitting coach to be looking at the end of the year. If we want to be elite and keep the train rolling, we can’t get hung up on a certain coach cause of this or that. This is too many years in a row we are subpar at hitting. We make no adjustments whatsoever. Like someone else said, time to stop treating them like they are minor league and professional hitters and do your ****in job…

We aren't well built even though we have talent. We have plenty of power. And I like that. But as I've said we have no one that gets on base, no one that can steal bases, no one that is good at bunting.

When we have guys like Mangum, Stovall, TA, and Rowdey in the lineup it sets the table for the other players to do damage.

I agree we can't get hung up on a certain coach. But if Gautreau leaves we need someone with big time MLB scouting ties. That was the worst thing about losing Cann. He helped recruit guys like TA, Rowdey, Westburg, Foscue, Ginn, who would go on to be major impact guys for us. Up until that point we really had a difficult time identifying talented and signable players. I don't believe that Gautreau has the ties that Cann had. We basically had complete access to the Yankees scouting database almost. At least we got a National Championship out of it.

TNDawg35
03-03-2022, 01:27 AM
This team is unable to put pressure on anyone because we have a group of either:

2. Good defenders who can't hit or get on base like Corder, Forsythe, or Jess Davis

It's a recruiting issue. Cohen and Cann prioritized getting tough players like Mangum, Stovall, TA, Rowdey, hell- I'll even go there and say Luke Alexander had some of the most clutch hits I've ever seen- two against Ole Miss, one against Washington in Omaha, had a key hit against Vanderbilt in our SR against them in Nashville, and walked off Alabama. He may have been a .200 hitter but he had balls with the game on the line.

Anyway- we can't put pressure on anyone because of the types of players we have. The free swingers we have operate much better when you have guys getting on base in front of them wreaking havoc. This team either strikes out or hit a solo shot.

Agree to an extent. You can’t forget the infield nubber. We tend to have plenty of those…

I don’t know what it’s gonna take, but our hitting coach has to do something. Lemonis taught hitting at Indiana. Let him take it over. Something isn’t right in that department. I do know our coach wasn’t happy and was livid after the game. In my eyes tho, what do you expect when you keep trotting the same kids out there. I understand about getting into a groove and stuff and needing reps, but at some point you have to say next man up. And why not play small ball if we can’t hit shit. I would be running every chance we have. Man on 1st with no out, bunt him to 2nd…

We have one of if not the best pitchers in the nation and he is 0-2 cause we can’t score for him against LBSU, who has lost 5 straight after beating us, and Noethern KY who is horrible…

I’m serious on this. If I’m Lemonis, I sit every damn one of them against Tulane. We are already gonna fall out of the rankings, so may as well figure out who wants to play and get them reps before SEC time. Take your lumps now. I would be totally fine if we were showing improvement. We let a guy come in who has struck out 8 people all year strike us out 13 times. That’s unacceptable….

It’s time to put up or shut up. No more well that’s baseball or we’ll it’s early… We are ****ing Mississippi State. We don’t go down and loose to N Ky or get embarrassed by Grambling or LBSU. ****ING GRAMBLING GUYS… GRAMBLING!!! We are a sac fly and a homer away from loosing to ****IN GRAMBLING!!! It isn’t an excuse about well it’s early or they had solid players… **** that! That’s our damn problem. Everyone wants to Make an excuse for them. We should have played all 1st time freshman and beat them for god sakes. Those are stat games. We play them to run up stats and get young guys reps. Hell we can’t do that cause we are in a damn dog fight to win with starters…

ArrowDawg
03-03-2022, 01:49 AM

2. You win a National Title and know everyone is going to come after us and you put that bullshit hitting approach out there? Really? WTF? Throw in some mental errors and a ton of walks too while we're at it boys. Good job. Not going to hit much taking fastballs and swinging at sliders out of the zone at any level. Been like this the whole ****ing year. I bet Tulane's pitchers are looking forward to having the ****ing game of their lives this weekend because even the shittiest pitcher on a SWAC team can get people out like that. See yesterday as exhibit A.

3. Speaking of having our heads up our ass this team likely has no leadoff hitter. Which is pretty big ****ing problem because we're living and dying with Earl Weaver ball right now and so far we have done a hell of a lot more dying than living. Rowdey and TA had some power but this team doesn't have anyone that even gets on base consistently. Like those two or a Mangum. Therefore it's all long ball or nothing. For some reason we have gotten away from having a couple of guys that just get on base and have some speed to cause things to happen. Could be a stolen base, could be taking an extra base, could be laying down a drag bunt. As it is we have an all or nothing bullshit approach that lacks toughness and even if we hit it out odds are it's a solo shot since the other hitters have likely struck out. And we won't even try the guy we recruited to be the leadoff hitter in Jess Davis. Not saying he's the answer but we won't find out if we don't give him a chance.

4. Gautreau needs to stop treating these players like pro hitters in the minors and start treating them like college kids that don't know what the hell they're doing. I'd be absolutely livid if I was in Lemonis's shoes if I see my team strike out the same way over and over again while our hitting coach just sits on his ass waiting for SEC play to start to go to work. ****ing stupid. Maybe since we're playing his alma mater this weekend he'll maybe at least try to make an adjustment or two a couple of weeks sooner.

5. 7 walks and 2 WP's with only 5 K's. We should NEVER have a stat line where we have more walks than K's. Oh yeah- we hit a guy too. Foxhall needs to find some guys with a sack that will attack the zone instead of just giving away AB's. We only allowed seven hits which isn't that bad. Of course it's hard to pitches that aren't strikes. Thank you Mikey Tepper and Brooks Auger for showing some balls. Maybe that will rub off on some others.

6. This team may make a regional. Whatever happens it's not going to be up to MSU standard. I've seen this team play before and they just don't have "it". We look like one of Polk's teams in the mid 2000's.

7. Hey Lemonis or Cohen or whoever makes our schedule- rule number one don't schedule a two game midweek when you play USM or Ole Miss. That's just ****ing dumb. Instead of coming into this game off of a big offensive day we have to play Grambling's junkball guy who of course we made look like RA Dickey his Cy Young year and shot any momentum we had. If you are going to schedule a two game midweek at least play the SWAC team on Weds.

I've had my doubts about Gautreau for a while now. I think we had some veteran guys who carried his and the rest of the team's butt for a while, but now they're gone, and he's being exposed.

99jc
03-03-2022, 07:14 AM
I tried to tell everyone this team is not a very good team losing what we did. But everyone was making excuses about cold weather and other BS. Bring on football!

somebodyshotmypaw
03-03-2022, 07:34 AM

Dang Todd is bringing the heat!

KOdawg1
03-03-2022, 07:46 AM
Our approach at the plate is terrible, but at least we tap our chest with 2 strikes before we strikeout

AlSwearengen
03-03-2022, 07:52 AM
I hope that part of what we are seeing is from coaching turnover b/c our lineup doesn’t look anything like the other top programs in the conference. Honestly, it didn’t last year either but we had Rowdey and Allen to ride the backs of, with just enough from everyone else to get by.

Maroonthirteen
03-03-2022, 08:08 AM
Ju he's the answer but we won't find out if we don't give him a chance.

back.

4. How do you know what Gautreau is coaching or treating these players? Seriously, you write this like it is fact. Are you at practice?

7. All your opinion. Nothing factual there.

Todd4State
03-03-2022, 09:24 AM
4. How do you know what Gautreau is coaching or treating these players? Seriously, you write this like it is fact. Are you at practice?

I'm using a quote from Gautreau himself when he was first hired.

And how concerning is it when our coach himself says he doesn't know what our approach at the plate is? I mean damn.

TheLostDawg
03-03-2022, 09:52 AM

So what you're saying, we need to load the Can on the bus when we head back this weekend.
Another thing to note is Lemonis was a hitting coach before becoming HC.

Johnson85
03-03-2022, 10:18 AM

I don't know if I would say we're not good, but I do think part of it is expectations that were probably unrealistic.

Looking at the stats, other than not scoring, our returning players don't look that bad? Cumbest, Hancock, James, and Tanner all seem to be doing at least close to what you'd expect? Forsythe has been bad, even worse than the low expectations. Leggett has been feast or famine. The only major disappointment is that I think people expected Kellum Clark to use his performance last year as a spring board, but if you saw his cape cod stats, that was not looking likely. Maybe you include Yeager. I don't think you can count on transfers moving up a level, but the competition we've played so far probably isn't that much different than what he saw before? So maybe you include him as a disappointment.

I'm not sure what Jess Davis has done or not done to get at bats. Too small of a sample size to tell anything, but he looks like he'd be a potential upgrade at CF offensively and defensively.

I don't know, all that to say that it's too early to completely give up on this team, but it doesn't look like we're a sleeping giant either. We need our veterans to improve a little bit, and for a few new players to emerge and replace the black holes in our lineup. Get rid of automatic outs at two or three positions, and pair it with our pitching, and we should be pretty good. But people that were expecting to compete for a repeat I think had let their expectations get out of line with reality.

The Federalist Engineer
03-03-2022, 10:21 AM
So what you're saying, we need to load the Can on the bus when we head back this weekend.

Cannizarro got Tanner Allen to Starkville. Without Tanner Allen, we have 13 trips to Omaha with just T-shirts to show for it.

Todd4State
03-03-2022, 10:30 AM

I think Cann was an outstanding hitting coach who was a great talent evaluator or at least heavily aided with scouting connections.

I would be fine taking him back as a hitting coach. He is clearly too immature to be a head coach at this level. But he knows the game and with oversight he would flourish. Would have been most ideal for us to keep Cohen as the head coach, Wes Johnson as the pitching coach and then have Cann as tbe hitting coach.

basedog
03-03-2022, 10:30 AM
We are struggling, but things can get better especially if our starting pitchers on the weekend do what they are capable of doing. So, we can win with pitching, and yes, we gotta hit at least clutch hitting. No, we aren't as good as last year, we lost 3 or 4 "gamers" last year.
Now in saying this, I told a few before the season I hope our fans and players had put the celebrations of the Natty behind, didn't happen. I think all of us fans and players just thought we were gonna do it again. We have talent and yes we need to play some of the younger guys, let's hope we get hot again, but it does look iffy so early in the season.

Btw, I ain't blaming no coach on hitting, players have to make plays, if they don't, then next man up needs a chance. Just my two cents. Underachieving is no fun, basketball and now at least for the moment baseball!
Tulane weekend is huge now!

basedog
03-03-2022, 10:37 AM
I think Cann was an outstanding hitting coach who was a great talent evaluator or at least heavily aided with scouting connections.

I would be fine taking him back as a hitting coach. He is clearly too immature to be a head coach at this level. But he knows the game and with oversight he would flourish. Would have been most ideal for us to keep Cohen as the head coach, Wes Johnson as the pitching coach and then have Cann as tbe hitting coach.

That ship sailed and it ain't coming back.

Maroonthirteen
03-03-2022, 11:12 AM
Allen was a very special player. Teams, in all sports, every year, lose special players that are difficult to replace. However, everyone fawned over our baseball recruiting this off season. Lemonis will get the talent level up.

In my opinion, the problem this year is, Allen's and Rowdy's production hasn't been replaced. Kellum is in a bad slump. Kellum will come around....hopefully. We need him badly but he isn't getting the opportunity now. Thats the only bit of coaching I would question. Hopefully, a CF steps at the plate. However, right now those two positions are creating two auto outs in the lineup.

The heart and soul of this team, LT, James, Hancock and Cumbest are playing fine. Not great but ok. I mean....some are talking smack about LT on the other board and he went 2-4 last night. Hancock got on base twice. James had a hit. Cumbest is hitting .400. Its the new guys (with the exception of Hines) that SO last night with men on base that crushed us.

BrunswickDawg
03-03-2022, 11:15 AM
We are struggling, but things can get better especially if our starting pitchers on the weekend do what they are capable of doing. So, we can win with pitching, and yes, we gotta hit at least clutch hitting. No, we aren't as good as last year, we lost 3 or 4 "gamers" last year.
Now in saying this, I told a few before the season I hope our fans and players had put the celebrations of the Natty behind, didn't happen. I think all of us fans and players just thought we were gonna do it again. We have talent and yes we need to play some of the younger guys, let's hope we get hot again, but it does look iffy so early in the season.

Btw, I ain't blaming no coach on hitting, players have to make plays, if they don't, then next man up needs a chance. Just my two cents. Underachieving is no fun, basketball and now at least for the moment baseball!
Tulane weekend is huge now!

I don't think we are that far off. We had RISP multiple times that could have kept us in it. Just not executing at the right times and wasting opportunities. Not to knock the kid, but Downs taking a Hat Trick and leaving 6 OB alone was a killer.
Thing about baseball is all it can take is 1 strong weekend to get on track. We have had many a season where we didn't click until April. We scuffled along in our first 10-11 games like this in 2020, 2018, 2017, & 2014. Sometimes its hitting that is slow to catch on, some years its pitching. Have a tough test this weekend - but taking 2 of 3 or better will make up for a lot.

MoreCowbell
03-03-2022, 12:09 PM
I think it is a combination of things. We lost some really good all-time MSU players that not only were great players but they were clutch and were leaders. Starting as freshman, Tanner and Rowdy were on teams that knew how to win.

We have a lot of new guys that are still trying to learn how to play college ball and some that just are not very good. I expected us to take a step back but we do look awful.

I think we will have figured things out as the season progresses because we have a great coaching staff but we only really have 2 guys that we can trust right now and one is a pitcher. Sims and Tanner Allen have the talent but they are still young and not sure their leadership is on par yet with past players like Mangum, Rowdy, and Allen.

We probably need the breaks beaten off of us before SEC play to wake us up and realize past teams are in the past. This is a new year and you have to earn it every year or these guys will get embarrassed.

MoreCowbell
03-03-2022, 12:10 PM
The real reason we suck? No Diamond Girls***

Coach34
03-03-2022, 12:49 PM
Here is sort of the crux of the problem:

The new guys arent performing to this point. Yeager has hit his whole career until now. So whats the problem? It's got to be something between him and GoTro. He hasnt even faced SEC pitching yet- so it's not like he hasnt hit this level of pitching before. His approach or something is off. But he has to play. We need him.
Why cant Clark do anything right now? He's as lost as lost can be. Again- GoTro
Leggett, Foreskin, Skinner, Meche, McGowan, and Davis are what they are- guys that are low .200 SEC hitters but good defensively. AKA- role players
Seibert can hit but has to DH or play 1st- and we have someone at those spots. So it limits his AB's

So what do you do if you are Lemon? You play the talented Freshmen, get them AB's, and get them ready for May and June.

What kills everyone as a hitter is only getting 2 AB's here or 1 AB there. The only way to improve and get a rhythm is to get 3-4 AB's every time out. Pinch Hitters have a low success rate for a reason. We have 50 years of documented data on that on every level. So make the moves and let's go. The quicker we do it- the quicker we will get better

Cowbell
03-03-2022, 01:18 PM
We have been owned by pitchers who throw 84 mile an hour fastballs - We are in real trouble from a hitting standpoint.

StarkVegasSteve
03-03-2022, 01:21 PM
I can make this really simple and it comes down to something Leach told his team in the video we have seen 300 times. Last year was last year. Anyone with half of a brain could have seen this coming from 3 miles away. We had all that bs with parades, mentioning them in everything the university puts out, and everyone blowing them 24/7 for 8 months. No wonder they think that they?re better than they are because people have been telling them how star spangled awesome they are for 8 months. Reality is going to hit them square in the mouth this weekend in NOLA. WE WILL BE SWEPT.

Now saying all that, this team can recover and still host a regional. Everyone comparing this team to 2015 became ?fans? in 2016. This team is 10x more talented than 2015 but we are young and I was at almost every game of 2015 so I am qualified on the subject.Rowdey and TA covered up a lot of problems last year. Hines, Corder, and Downs are going to be very good for us.

I will end with this, looking at Twitter last night we have so many fair weather and judgemental fans that I presume just became fans within the last 5-6 years. It is possible to be honest about things. That does not mean people are dogging the team just because they are not pumping sunshine. So to the real ryders who have been here through some rough times we will be ok. We will recover.

HoopsDawg
03-03-2022, 01:24 PM

Goodness. I mean...

Cooterpoot
03-03-2022, 01:25 PM
I'm disappointed in the lack of adjustments at the plate. We just keep doing the same shit. Pitching is a wait and see. I think starting pitching will be ok. Pen is in rough shape and midweek is scary. We haven't recruited very well is what bothers me most.

BayouDawg
03-03-2022, 01:25 PM
Well apparently not only does our hitting coach not make adjustments until midway through the season. The adjustments made the previous season are evidently scrapped because its like this at the start of every season.

StarkVegasSteve
03-03-2022, 01:27 PM

Good lord. You want to bring back Wes ?The Arm Murderer? Johnson?? Are you serious?? Because of him Mangum had to be our Sunday starter in 2017

DeltaSwamp
03-03-2022, 01:40 PM
Just a reminder that it is early. The black bears look great, but we know they will choke. We look meh, but we know we will get hot when it matters. History bears this out repeatedly

Activated Alpha
03-03-2022, 01:46 PM
Good lord. You want to bring back Wes ?The Arm Murderer? Johnson?? Are you serious?? Because of him Mangum had to be our Sunday starter in 2017

Uhh...pretty sure he meant that instead of hiring Cann, he wishes Cohen stayed the coach and brought Cann on as hitting coach then given him the reins.....No one is advocating for the short stack to come back and ruin our arms...

BrunswickDawg
03-03-2022, 02:07 PM
Here is sort of the crux of the problem:

The new guys arent performing to this point. Yeager has hit his whole career until now. So whats the problem? It's got to be something between him and GoTro. He hasnt even faced SEC pitching yet- so it's not like he hasnt hit this level of pitching before. His approach or something is off. But he has to play. We need him.
Why cant Clark do anything right now? He's as lost as lost can be. Again- GoTro
Leggett, Foreskin, Skinner, Meche, McGowan, and Davis are what they are- guys that are low .200 SEC hitters but good defensively. AKA- role players
Seibert can hit but has to DH or play 1st- and we have someone at those spots. So it limits his AB's

So what do you do if you are Lemon? You play the talented Freshmen, get them AB's, and get them ready for May and June.

What kills everyone as a hitter is only getting 2 AB's here or 1 AB there. The only way to improve and get a rhythm is to get 3-4 AB's every time out. Pinch Hitters have a low success rate for a reason. We have 50 years of documented data on that on every level. So make the moves and let's go. The quicker we do it- the quicker we will get better

The flip side of it is this - there are times when no amount of coaching or adjustments works on players. The player just has to work their way out of it. You played enough ball to know that.

RougeDawg
03-03-2022, 02:14 PM

With reply to 4. Anyone who has played above high school level or been around it can easily see if players are being coached, especially with regard to hitting.

Our guys are not making any adjustments and have ABs like our scouting reports are written in Braille instead of English. You could give me a scouting report and set me in the dugout and I?m getting 80-90% of the pitches correct and I haven?t played in years. These hitters should have a damn good idea of what pitches they?ll see in every situation and how every pitcher is going to attack them.

Our ABs are showing me they have no f*cking clue what pitch is most likely coming and/or how a pitcher is going to attack them. I do not know the reason or how to fix it at this point.

Todd4State
03-03-2022, 02:16 PM

Of course it has. Cohen is an AD and Wes is with the Twins while Cann ruined his career. But as far as baseball only coaching and evaluation those are the gold standard for us.

Except I would trade Lemonis for Cohen at head coach in terms of gold standard.

Truth be told that was largely the fault of our S&C coach at the time. We went too heavy too soon with our younger pitchers. You don't get hired away by MLB because you are an arm murderer. Wes is probably actually the best pitching coach we have ever had especially considering the modern era we are in. We won the SEC with a very thin bullpen in 2016.

Todd4State
03-03-2022, 02:18 PM

Uhh...pretty sure he meant that instead of hiring Cann, he wishes Cohen stayed the coach and brought Cann on as hitting coach then given him the reins.....No one is advocating for the short stack to come back and ruin our arms...

Close.

Just leave Cann at hitting coach. Give Lemonis the reigns.

Cann is simply not mature enough to be a head coach at the SEC level.

Todd4State
03-03-2022, 02:20 PM
With reply to 4. Anyone who has played above high school level or been around it can easily see if players are being coached, especially with regard to hitting.

Our guys are not making any adjustments and have ABs like our scouting reports are written in Braille instead of English. You could give me a scouting report and set me in the dugout and I?m getting 80-90% of the pitches correct and I haven?t played in years. These hitters should have a damn good idea of what pitches they?ll see in every situation and how every pitcher is going to attack them.

Our ABs are showing me they have no f*cking clue what pitch is most likely coming and/or how a pitcher is going to attack them. I do not know the reason or how to fix it at this point.

Again the fact that Lemonis told the media that he has no clue what our approach is tells me a lot. Which is scary.

BrunswickDawg
03-03-2022, 02:34 PM
Again the fact that Lemonis told the media that he has no clue what our approach is tells me a lot. Which is scary.

When did Lemo say that? After the game last night? If it was, he's right. I'm sure he knows what he wants our approach to be. But, right now in the funk no one knows what the approach is because no on is applying it. If you asked me, I'd say there really is no approach right now. Our pitch selection is bad, our patience is bad, and we aren't being aggressive at the right times.

shoeless joe
03-03-2022, 02:40 PM

Calm down Todd…your as emotional as mike shildt after yadi gets slightly buzzed by a breaking pitch.

We just won it all and you’re saying our best staff includes three guys that had nothing to do with taking us to the promised land…yes their recruiting played a huge role but the current staff put it all together. I feel your pain and frustration but we shall see how it all plays out. Hopefully we recover quickly and can host. But let’s make a regional and hopefully a super. Remember when Oregon won their second consecutive it was as a 3 seed. (I’m not saying we will repeat but that is something to think about).

yjnkdawg
03-03-2022, 02:41 PM
Lemonis inherited some players who were leaders on the field as well as in the dugout. I don't think he has that type of player leadership right now, and like I posted in the game day thread, I think we are still in the National Championship aura and I think that type of thinking has carried over through this season, and some didn't prepare during the off season like they should have based upon the concept that we are the National Champions which doesn't mean crap as for as our performance this season goes.

Coach34
03-03-2022, 02:46 PM
The flip side of it is this - there are times when no amount of coaching or adjustments works on players. The player just has to work their way out of it. You played enough ball to know that.

Oh no doubt. But the odds of it happening to most of your players at the same time are astronomical.

We get fooled by fastballs too many times so that tells me its not in our ability- it's in our approach.

BrunswickDawg
03-03-2022, 03:28 PM
Oh no doubt. But the odds of it happening to most of your players at the same time are astronomical.

We get fooled by fastballs too many times so that tells me its not in our ability- it's in our approach.

I've seen it before. Hitting can be contagious - good and bad. It's like a damn STD. And yes, that can come down to approach. But I tend to put the lack of approach on players instead of coaches. You can't tell me that Goat and Lemo don't have approaches for each guy and know what they want them to do. There is no way they have made it to where they are without it. Hell, I played for the worst HS baseball coach imaginable, and even he had an approach he wanted us to take.

I think the big issue is that as a team we are in our heads and pressing to much. New guys are trying to secure their roles; returning bench guys are trying to break through; and everyone is thinking they have to repeat as champs because that's what we are supposed to do. We just need to go out and play.

Coach34
03-03-2022, 03:47 PM
I've seen it before. Hitting can be contagious - good and bad. It's like a damn STD. And yes, that can come down to approach. But I tend to put the lack of approach on players instead of coaches. You can't tell me that Goat and Lemo don't have approaches for each guy and know what they want them to do. There is no way they have made it to where they are without it. Hell, I played for the worst HS baseball coach imaginable, and even he had an approach he wanted us to take.

I think the big issue is that as a team we are in our heads and pressing to much. New guys are trying to secure their roles; returning bench guys are trying to break through; and everyone is thinking they have to repeat as champs because that's what we are supposed to do. We just need to go out and play.

I'm not saying they arent good coaches- they are. But what we are doing right now isnt hitting home. And I think we all agree on that. So they have to fix that because it does fall on them. I can live with hitters struggling with the slider or the change- I cant live with getting fooled on the reg with fastballs.

BrunswickDawg
03-03-2022, 04:05 PM
I'm not saying they arent good coaches- they are. But what we are doing right now isnt hitting home. And I think we all agree on that. So they have to fix that because it does fall on them. I can live with hitters struggling with the slider or the change- I cant live with getting fooled on the reg with fastballs.

I don't disagree with that. It's also part of baseball, so I tend not to freak out when the inevitable happens.

Commercecomet24
03-03-2022, 04:50 PM
I don't think anyone is thrilled about the way the season has gone so far. We haven't played well and have sucked at times, I think we all see that. We have players that are pressing and trying to win a national championship with one ab or one pitch, both veterans and newcomers. Anyone that has ever played or coached at a high level knows you can't "overpower" or "out physical" the game of baseball, it's not football or basketball. Sometimes by trying harder you actually hinder yourself. You go to the plate and are grinding the bat in your hand, squeezing it to death, and it slows your whole body down but especially your hands. We are definitely in a mental funk at the plate and I'm sure that's what Lemonis was referring to by saying he doesn't know what the approach is because the players aren't executing what they've been taught. Pitchers are pressing as well, overthrowing fast balls and breaking balls. You start trying to throw harder from the mound and not only do you lose command you lose velo. To play the game of baseball you have to be loose and relaxed. If you play tight and press you're done and it can make you look pretty foolish. The coaches didn't suddenly forget how to coach and the players didn't suddenly forget how to play. It's hard to get to the top and even harder to stay at the top. Pressure comes with that and remember we are dealing with teenagers and young 20 somethings. We have an excellent staff and fine talent and they'll figure it out. We're going through some growing pains at the moment and it stinks. I'm confident by the seasons end we'll be competing in post season and be right where we need to be. The players and coaches need to settle in and get this fixed. It's a long, long season, and things in baseball can change at the drop of a hat, so let's let it play out. We got work to do!

Todd4State
03-03-2022, 05:27 PM
When did Lemo say that? After the game last night? If it was, he's right. I'm sure he knows what he wants our approach to be. But, right now in the funk no one knows what the approach is because no on is applying it. If you asked me, I'd say there really is no approach right now. Our pitch selection is bad, our patience is bad, and we aren't being aggressive at the right times.

Yes. In his postgame interview.

basedog
03-03-2022, 05:28 PM
I don't think anyone is thrilled about the way the season has gone so far. We haven't played well and have sucked at times, I think we all see that. We have players that are pressing and trying to win a national championship with one ab or one pitch, both veterans and newcomers. Anyone that has ever played or coached at a high level knows you can't "overpower" or "out physical" the game of baseball, it's not football or basketball. Sometimes by trying harder you actually hinder yourself. You go to the plate and are grinding the bat in your hand, squeezing it to death, and it slows your whole body down but especially your hands. We are definitely in a mental funk at the plate and I'm sure that's what Lemonis was referring to by saying he doesn't know what the approach is because the players aren't executing what they've been taught. Pitchers are pressing as well, overthrowing fast balls and breaking balls. You start trying to throw harder from the mound and not only do you lose command you lose velo. To play the game of baseball you have to be loose and relaxed. If you play tight and press you're done and it can make you look pretty foolish. The coaches didn't suddenly forget how to coach and the players didn't suddenly forget how to play. It's hard to get to the top and even harder to stay at the top. Pressure comes with that and remember we are dealing with teenagers and young 20 somethings. We have an excellent staff and fine talent and they'll figure it out. We're going through some growing pains at the moment and it stinks. I'm confident by the seasons end we'll be competing in post season and be right where we need to be. The players and coaches need to settle in and get this fixed. It's a long, long season, and things in baseball can change at the drop of a hat, so let's let it play out. We got work to do!

Well said!! Like you stated "baseball ain't like football nor basketball".

P.S. I expect our 3 starters this weekend gives us a good chance to win the series. We shall see.

The Federalist Engineer
03-03-2022, 05:49 PM

Yep, this makes more sense than changing hitting coach in March or bringing back Cannizarro from New Orleans on Sunday.

People act like this is first time MSU started a season badly. I recall being been Swept 0-3 by Arkansas in an SEC opener, we had dudes post about 0-30 in the SEC. MSU lost 2 of 3 to Holy Cross one year. In 2018, the season started 0-3 in a sweep to USM, did not host a Super, but still made Omaha.

The bright side to this start is that everybody is healthy and MSU apparently has some good underclassmen. Downs, Alford, and Hines are as good as people ahead of them. Clark will get better. Sims and Cade are top starters.

I am only interested in Championships. I really don't care about USM that much, nor should you guys. MSU is a championship school with proven elite coaches, we don't need to stress about this anymore. For all their dominance, scholarship advantage, and recruiting, even Vandy only has 2 championships. It's hard to repeat.

My boss that went to Duke, does not care about loses in Alaska exhibition games or even the occasional loss to Georgia Tech. He just worries about the NCAA Tournament.

bulldogcountry1
03-03-2022, 06:07 PM
There?s no reason why Skinner couldn?t be a serviceable lead off guy. He?s got the speed to beat out ground balls, yet he still swings off his heels and watches strike 3. Why in the world isn?t he just trying to put the ball in play?

Commercecomet24
03-03-2022, 06:59 PM
Well said!! Like you stated "baseball ain't like football nor basketball".

P.S. I expect our 3 starters this weekend gives us a good chance to win the series. We shall see.

Base, you know baseball is a frustrating sport, in fact it probably should've been a four letter word lol. A player a team can look a absolutely awful or great and then all of a sudden it can change on a dime, seen it to many times just like I know you have. Not sugar coating it we have played poorly at times but we have an elite staff, a core of excellent players and I have confidence we'll make the necessary adjustments. Honestly we've left a lot of runners on so the potential is there to score runs but we just can't seem to get the big hit or string together enough hits just yet. We've got a lot of guys who've been through the wars and they'll break through at some point.

I 100% agree on our 3 starters. They're going to give us a chance to win every weekend series provided they stay healthy.

basedog
03-03-2022, 07:38 PM
Base, you know baseball is a frustrating sport, in fact it probably should've been a four letter word lol. A player a team can look a absolutely awful or great and then all of a sudden it can change on a dime, seen it to many times just like I know you have. Not sugar coating it we have played poorly at times but we have an elite staff, a core of excellent players and I have confidence we'll make the necessary adjustments. Honestly we've left a lot of runners on so the potential is there to score runs but we just can't seem to get the big hit or string together enough hits just yet. We've got a lot of guys who've been through the wars and they'll break through at some point.

I 100% agree on our 3 starters. They're going to give us a chance to win every weekend series provided they stay healthy.

You and few others know more about coaching baseball than I. My dad was a baseball man. He coached Little League and senior league for 25 years. His thing was see the ball and hit the ball, LOL. He said batters aren’t made the same with their swing and stance. His thing was always square up and hit it up the middle, choke up with two strikes and shorten your swing.
Baseball is way more mental than football and basketball. I don’t know enough about teaching someone how to hit or pitch, some can and some can’t. LOL. Good athletes adjust.
I’m anxious how we play this weekend, not waooried about our starters as all three are strike throwers. So I predict low scoring games. We gotta not walk folks and we have to get timely hits.
Just saying with my two cents, ain’t much!