PDA

View Full Version : Who makes the SEC baseball weekend roster?

Coach34
03-01-2022, 09:43 AM
We have got to get some questions answered before SEC play starts. We have a 25 man roster to fill and cant carry 7 OF's and 4 MIF's.

Do we go with a 13/12 mix? 14/11?

People we know will be on it:

Pitchers- Sims, Johnson, Cade, B. Smith, Simmons, Kohn, Fristoe Likely (7 for sure at this point))

Pos Players- Logan, James, Hancock, Hines, Leggs, Yeager, Corder, Cumbest, Hines (9 for sure at this point)

Thats 16 guys for sure with 9 spots to decide on. 3-4 position players and 4-5 pitchers.

Position players left- Siebert, Clark, McGowan, Skinner, Davis, Downs, Foreskin, Meche, and Alford. Thats 9 guys for 3-4 spots

Pitchers- Tepper, Auger, Stinnett, Hunt, Tullar, Walker, Walling plus a couple of other guys that may not havent taken the hill yet.

Lots of questions to answer before March 18th

Todd4State
03-01-2022, 09:44 AM
I believe the SEC roster is a week to week thing so it probably depends on who is playing well at the moment to a degree.

Coach34
03-01-2022, 09:48 AM
I believe the SEC roster is a week to week thing so it probably depends on who is playing well at the moment to a degree.

I know it is. But that's alot of position players fighting for so few spots. It's really going to be some tough decisions early on

MetEdDawg
03-01-2022, 10:31 AM
My guess of what's left:

Position players - Clark, Skinner, Forsythe, Downs

Pitchers - Tepper, Stinnett, Walling, Hunt, Tullar

Definitely some tough decisions though. Good problem to have.

Coach34
03-01-2022, 10:43 AM
My guess of what's left:

Position players - Clark, Skinner, Forsythe, Downs

McGowan is hitting .600 currently with an OBP of .750. We just gonna ignore that?

One glaring issue we have is that Hines and Siebert are basically the same player. Big bat that's limited defensively. Would be tough for me not to have Siebert available for at least 3 AB's each weekend if I was making out that roster

Homedawg
03-01-2022, 11:03 AM
The limit is now 27. So you can add a couple .

Homedawg
03-01-2022, 11:05 AM
McGowan is the emergency catcher and an of he's for sure on there. IMO it's 15-12

Homedawg
03-01-2022, 11:12 AM
If we go 15 position players, if it were tomorrow, these would go
Tanner, hancock, Leggett, Yeager, Forsythe, James, Alford, Mule, Corder, Skinner, Clark, McGowan, Downs, Hines... That's 14 so the 3 left to pick from are Meche, who gives you and extra MID INF, Davis extra of defender and runner, and Siebert who is a one swing of the bat guy. Could go either way on that. Again, we are a couple weeks away and that could change. And it's just IMO

12 P-Sims, Simmons, Stinnet, Johnson, SMith, smith, Auger, Kohn, Tepper, Fristoe, Hunt (if available) Tullar

Coach34
03-01-2022, 11:47 AM
The limit is now 27. So you can add a couple .

ahhhh- I thought that was only for Chinese 19. Didnt realize we kept it. Good news for us

confucius say
03-01-2022, 12:00 PM
Meche, Davis, and seibert are all left handed bats too. Seibert has the best one right now, so I roll with that. Skinner already gives you off the bench what Davis would give you.

Looking at that list of pitchers, we should have one of the best weekend rotations in the league. Need to find 3-4 guys out of the pen who are reliable. Teams are hitting .625 vs tullar, .500 vs stinnett, .333 vs auger, .286 vs B smith, .250 vs Tepper, .176 vs kohn, and .000 vs Simmons.

smootness
03-01-2022, 12:43 PM
Skinner already gives you off the bench what Davis would give you.

But I think Davis does those things at least as well, and in many cases better, than Skinner does. I think Davis has a substantially better bat, and if he gives away anything running or in the field, it's minimal. I'd roll with Davis and leave Skinner off.

Homedawg
03-01-2022, 01:09 PM
But I think Davis does those things at least as well, and in many cases better, than Skinner does. I think Davis has a substantially better bat, and if he gives away anything running or in the field, it's minimal. I'd roll with Davis and leave Skinner off.

Davis didn't hit at all in the fall or spring. Skinner out hit him bad.........that's saying something...

Todd4State
03-01-2022, 04:29 PM
Davis didn't hit at all in the fall or spring. Skinner out hit him bad.........that's saying something...

That's true but lately Davis has been better. I would give him a shot at a start if I were in the coaches shoes and see how it goes.

He has surprised me in a small sample size.

Homedawg
03-01-2022, 06:55 PM
That's true but lately Davis has been better. I would give him a shot at a start if I were in the coaches shoes and see how it goes.

He has surprised me in a small sample size.

It's not like he's smoked the ball. He got some hits but they aren't missles. Just like skinners hits. Fact is, neither can hit. But they both can help the team.

smootness
03-01-2022, 09:36 PM
Skinner could never post even the .256 average Davis did last year in CUSA, let alone the .296 average and .822 OPS Davis posted as a freshman.

Davis won't ever crush SEC pitching, but he can be a real hitter. Skinner just isn't and never will be.

MaroonFlounder
03-01-2022, 10:17 PM

Neither did Kellum Clark, and he's hailed as a future all American

MaroonFlounder
03-01-2022, 10:23 PM
Position players left- Siebert, Clark, McGowan, Skinner, Davis, Downs, Foreskin, Meche, and Alford. Thats 9 guys for 3-4 spots

I was hoping you would edit your spelling of Lane's last name. Put some respect on the best defensive SS in the SEC.

Homedawg
03-01-2022, 10:29 PM
Neither did Kellum Clark, and he's hailed as a future all American

No he didn't. And isn't hitting now. Thus, on the bench. I'm sure he's gonna get more shots. He's young. Lots of pop. Davis is a old guy. But he can run! No doubt.

Homedawg
03-01-2022, 10:30 PM
Skinner could never post even the .256 average Davis did last year in CUSA, let alone the .296 average and .822 OPS Davis posted as a freshman.

Davis won't ever crush SEC pitching, but he can be a real hitter. Skinner just isn't and never will be.

We will agree to disagree. That's fine. Davis isn't a real hitter

Offshore Dawg
03-03-2022, 06:15 PM
Anyone who hasn't played, could they do much worse.

Homedawg
03-03-2022, 06:39 PM
Anyone who hasn't played, could they do much worse.

To answer.... yes it's possible.