PDA

View Full Version : Well, if we have learned anything so far in 2022

Coach34
02-25-2022, 08:24 PM
It?s to stop running Stinnett out there if the game is still in doubt.

Commercecomet24
02-25-2022, 08:30 PM
Yeah him and tullar just can't be counted on, right now.

Commercecomet24
02-25-2022, 08:32 PM
It is best to find out now who can and who can't instead of waiting til sec starts

calidawg
02-25-2022, 08:32 PM
We have a massive vacuum of locker room leadership. We'll see if any develops out of this team this year. This team is hungover and entitled. Let's hope we can figure out how to host a regional and make another run next year if some leaders emerge

basedog
02-25-2022, 08:39 PM
MSU 4 hits, Northern Ky 11 hits! Damn.

No doubt leadership has to step up.

R2Dawg
02-25-2022, 08:44 PM
Yeah him and tullar just can't be counted on, right now.

I said it last week, they are midweek guys and that is it. We have wasted Sims start two weekends in a row even though Sims didn't pitch well today.

R2Dawg
02-25-2022, 08:45 PM
We have a massive vacuum of locker room leadership. We'll see if any develops out of this team this year. This team is hungover and entitled. Let's hope we can figure out how to host a regional and make another run next year if some leaders emerge

Agree. Legget to me seems like one who has stepped up. Need a bunch more and soon.

Dawgfan77
02-26-2022, 08:32 AM
I'm sure this is an unpopular opinion but I'd prefer Sims just stay as a closer. We have to find a Friday night guy but Sims is money from the BP

Cowbell
02-26-2022, 09:16 AM
I'm sure this is an unpopular opinion but I'd prefer Sims just stay as a closer. We have to find a Friday night guy but Sims is money from the BP

I mentioned this in the game thread and got a lot of disagreement. I thought this before we started playing this year. I feel like he puts too much in his pitches to last 5 to 6 innings in this league. When his fastball Velo drops, he is a liability.

OLJWales
02-26-2022, 10:09 AM
Anybody got any laxative suggestions? Nothing's Moved for me in 3 Days.

Todd4State
02-26-2022, 11:12 AM

We win if we don't throw Stinnett and Tullar.
Maybe the coaches need to manage the staff better and stop giving opportunities to players who don't deserve it.

Homedawg
02-26-2022, 11:24 AM
We win if we don't throw Stinnett and Tullar.
Maybe the coaches need to manage the staff better and stop giving opportunities to players who don't deserve it.

That's just it, they earned it in the preseason. Nobody has "deserved" it prior to now. The guys we have in the pen behind Johnson, haven't earned or deserved anything yet. Simmons is gaining on it I get that. But prior to yesterday he had one inning. Had he gotten shelled it would have been, "I knew we should have brought in person xyz"!

HoopsDawg
02-26-2022, 12:13 PM
Simmons is gaining on it I get that. But prior to yesterday he had one inning. Had he gotten shelled it would have been, "I knew we should have brought in person xyz"!

I seriously doubt anyone would have said, "we should have brought in Tullar."

Todd4State
02-26-2022, 12:22 PM
That's just it, they earned it in the preseason. Nobody has "deserved" it prior to now. The guys we have in the pen behind Johnson, haven't earned or deserved anything yet. Simmons is gaining on it I get that. But prior to yesterday he had one inning. Had he gotten shelled it would have been, "I knew we should have brought in person xyz"!

If they're going off of that it should have been Hunt or Simmons. Or even Auger. Stinnett had control issues at times in scrimmages. They desperately want Tullar to be the left handed guy. Probably going to have to be Kohn or no one.

Maybe they'll recruit one for next year. It shouldn't be too hard to find a left handed pitcher with a good/recent breaking ball in the Mississippi JUCO's that dreamed of being a Bulldog that would probably walk on.

MoreCowbell
02-26-2022, 01:53 PM
I like a Cade to Friday, Sims to Saturday switch for some reason. Maybe wait a few weeks to make sure Cade gives you more solid outings. Hitting is what we have to get figured out. This reminds me of a 2017 type team who figures it out at the end.

Coach34
02-26-2022, 02:25 PM
At no time in the last 13 months have I thought- "probably need to go with Stinnett here"

Homedawg
02-26-2022, 02:41 PM
At no time in the last 13 months have I thought- "probably need to go with Stinnett here"
Hard to argue w that.

Commercecomet24
02-26-2022, 02:44 PM
Lemonis and Foxhall throw a lot of guys early in pressure situations to find out who can and who can't, they do it every year. It's why we won a NC last year. This year is no different. They're finding who they can count on. And Sims is going to be just fine. To much panic this early.

Todd4State
02-27-2022, 02:14 AM
Lemonis and Foxhall throw a lot of guys early in pressure situations to find out who can and who can't, they do it every year. It's why we won a NC last year. This year is no different. They're finding who they can count on. And Sims is going to be just fine. To much panic this early.

My thing is Stinnett and Tullar were both put into high leverage situations and didn't perform well against Long Beach State. IMO they did not earn the right to be out there in that situation against Northern Kentucky.

That's what is frustrating to me sometimes. Same thing with Trysten Barlow and Riley Self in Omaha in 2019 against Vanderbilt when we should have used Colby White who is now one of the Rays top prospects. Both Barlow and Self had been struggling and both ended up getting shelled against Vandy. Losing to Vandy put us in the loser's bracket and helped put us in a bad position and then we ended up being eliminated the next game.

Give Stinnett and Tullar an opportunity to work through things in a blow out like today or against a SWAC team.

R2Dawg
02-27-2022, 09:11 AM
My thing is Stinnett and Tullar were both put into high leverage situations and didn't perform well against Long Beach State. IMO they did not earn the right to be out there in that situation against Northern Kentucky.

That's what is frustrating to me sometimes. Same thing with Trysten Barlow and Riley Self in Omaha in 2019 against Vanderbilt when we should have used Colby White who is now one of the Rays top prospects. Both Barlow and Self had been struggling and both ended up getting shelled against Vandy. Losing to Vandy put us in the loser's bracket and helped put us in a bad position and then we ended up being eliminated the next game.

Give Stinnett and Tullar an opportunity to work through things in a blow out like today or against a SWAC team.

Agree Todd, same here. I understand giving them a try but at some point, gotta go somewhere else. Stinnett showed all last year has can't control. I know these guys are upper classmen and that is probably why he gave them nod over new, young guys but we got guys better than those to trott out there in tight games.

Commercecomet24
02-27-2022, 09:40 PM

I don't mind them giving them another shot this early in the season. And those 2 should've been able to get nku out but they didn't execute. Now they've had their chances and it's time to give someone else their innings on the weekends. They can get some innings against some of the weaker mid week teams now. I like the fact we're finding out this early who can and who can't. One outing isn't enough and you can't base this year on what someone did last year. But I agree it's time for them to take a backseat now. Stone and Pico have looked great and Auger has good stuff. Brandon Smith looked sharp today and when his sinker is working he's tough. If tepper can harness his command his stuff is electric. I've got lot of confidence in Foxhall and Lemonis finding the right combos.

maroonmania
02-27-2022, 09:45 PM
If tepper can harness his command his stuff is electric. I've got lot of confidence in Foxhall and Lemonis finding the right combos.

Man, if I had $5 for every time we said that about one of our pitchers I would be pretty well off.

Commercecomet24
02-27-2022, 09:49 PM
Man, if I had $5 for every time we said that about one of our pitchers I would be pretty well off.

Lol I understand but we're gonna be ok. May take more time this year to get it all in place but we've got a lot of talent and more coming in over the next 2 classes at least and we've got a pretty fair staff handling them.

basedog
02-27-2022, 09:51 PM
I don't mind them giving them another shot this early in the season. And those 2 should've been able to get nku out but they didn't execute. Now they've had their chances and it's time to give someone else their innings on the weekends. They can get some innings against some of the weaker mid week teams now. I like the fact we're finding out this early who can and who can't. One outing isn't enough and you can't base this year on what someone did last year. But I agree it's time for them to take a backseat now. Stone and Pico have looked great and Auger has good stuff. Brandon Smith looked sharp today and when his sinker is working he's tough. If tepper can harness his command his stuff is electric. I've got lot of confidence in Foxhall and Lemonis finding the right combos.

I agree Cc24. I wouldn't give up on them totally but they need some confidence.
I think our pen will be fine, just got play guys who we can depend on.

maroonmania
02-27-2022, 09:52 PM
Lol I understand but we're gonna be ok. May take more time this year to get it all in place but we've got a lot of talent and more coming in over the next 2 classes at least and we've got a pretty fair staff handling them.

It was just interesting that you said that about Tepper when it appears Walling has the same issue to the point we can barely even use him. Stinnett has significant control problems as well.

Commercecomet24
02-27-2022, 09:54 PM
I agree Cc24. I wouldn't give up on them totally but they need some confidence.
I think our pen will be fine, just got play guys who we can depend on.

Yep I agree.

Commercecomet24
02-27-2022, 09:58 PM
It was just interesting that you said that about Tepper when it appears Walling has the same issue to the point we can barely even use him. Stinnett has significant control problems as well.

Tepper can be dominant and has great stuff, and I believe you'll see him be big this year. Wallings a wild card and a project who's more like a cerantola to me. I don't know what it is about stinnett but he almost seems scared to pitch to contact it's almost like he's afraid to throw a strike cause it might get hit. Watch his pitch sequences and body language and expressions he just looks scared and timid. I've seen it in pitchers before.

Todd4State
02-28-2022, 08:48 AM
Tepper is not nearly as wild as Walling is. He also got a late start this year too. Once he catches up he may end up being our closer or set up guy.

basedog
02-28-2022, 08:55 AM
Tepper is not nearly as wild as Walling is. He also got a late start this year too. Once he catches up he may end up being our closer or set up guy.

I agree, you could see how he looks the part to compete, has good stuff and probably overanxious and tight from nerves.