PDA

View Full Version : Chase Vallot

Todd4State
11-21-2013, 05:30 PM
Was not mentioned as one of the top 100 high school draft prospects by Baseball America.

It makes me wonder if his asking price is really high. He made the Under Armour All-American Game, so he isn't overlooked.

messageboardsuperhero
11-21-2013, 05:45 PM
He's been tweeting at all our other commits about how excited he is to be coming to State. I think things are looking better with him than before.

Todd4State
11-21-2013, 05:47 PM
He might be one of those independent thinker types. "Everyone" says go to LSU and take the money from MLB. But sometimes the right personal decision is to go to MSU and then get even more money after becoming the top catcher in college baseball.

engie
11-21-2013, 06:25 PM
Wool is growing on this a bit...

He's definitely one of the top 100 players, so if he's not mentioned that high, it bodes well for us. He and Humphreys have potential to be a really special power tandem for a few years...

MsStateBaseball
11-21-2013, 07:24 PM
We get Chase and we will be a HR team. I just feel our 2015 class is going to be best ever. We have been hitting them hard.

Todd4State
11-21-2013, 07:28 PM
We get Chase and we will be a HR team. I just feel our 2015 class is going to be best ever. We have been hitting them hard.

This. And hopefully another CWS appearance will help us to land some of the types of players we missed on this year- like Dylan Cease and Touki Touissaint.

bully99
11-21-2013, 07:39 PM
Was gonna write about this later but will do it here. That list has nothing to do with signability.I was shocked Vallot was not on that list. What's more disturbing to me is that 12 of the 14 sec teams have players on there except for 2. Kentucky and MSU.
Auburn 1...Arkansas 1..Alabama1...Florida 4....Georgia 2...LSU ..3...Ole Miss 4...Missouri 2
South Carolina ..2...Tennessee 2..
Texas A&M 2...Vanderbilt 6.
How in the hell do we finish runnerup at the cws and don't have a damn player on this list. And I know we recruited a number of players on this list and lost the recruiting battle. High school kids look at these list and they know where the best players are going. Ole Miss has 4 and we have zero. Something is wrong with that picture.

Vandy is kicking our ass in recruiting. They have 6 and beat us out on several of those. They signed a pitcher out of Alabama yesterday who picked them over State and others. And that's just this class. Their fans were bragging that in the last week they have commitments from 4 of the top pitchers in the country for the 2015 and 2016 seasons.

I kept reading for months about the kid out of Georgia, Chris Cullen who was supposed to commit to us for 2015 and then last week he commits to South Carolina.

I know the Cohen apologist always say well John will coach them up. That's bs. We need to start winning some of these battles. Even if they go pro you need your school on these list.

Baseball America did a story today that Mike Martin at Florida State has changed his recruiting philosophy and he's going after the elite players, something that he shied away from in the past. He went after lesser players who he knew were coming to school. He said no more.

I'm sorry I don't have the woollies like many of you. Sorry about being so negative, just the way I feel.

MsStateBaseball
11-21-2013, 07:40 PM
You guys read my blog about 2014? I would love some feedback.

Homedawg
11-21-2013, 07:42 PM
This. And hopefully another CWS appearance will help us to land some of the types of players we missed on this year- like Dylan Cease and Touki Touissaint.

We are going to be in the game with way more guys like this for a couple of reasons. One, we are better and more visible to recruits. Second, and more importantly, nick is way more aggresive than lane or butch is- was chasing big time draft guys. He isn't scared to throw our name in the hat. Not that the others were scared, but they are going to take way less risks. Hell, get em and let John deal w the scholarship delimas it creates.

MsStateBaseball
11-21-2013, 07:49 PM
Location location location. We are not in Florida or California and not in big city (Nashville) so it takes more to get them here.

Homedawg
11-21-2013, 07:55 PM
Was gonna write about this later but will do it here. That list has nothing to do with signability.I was shocked Vallot was not on that list. What's more disturbing to me is that 12 of the 14 sec teams have players on there except for 2. Kentucky and MSU.
Auburn 1...Arkansas 1..Alabama1...Florida 4....Georgia 2...LSU ..3...Ole Miss 4...Missouri 2
How in the hell do we finish runnerup at the cws and don't have a damn player on this list. And I know we recruited a number of players on this list and lost the recruiting battle. High school kids look at these list and they know where the best players are going. Ole Miss has 4 and we have zero. Something is wrong with that picture.

Vandy is kicking our ass in recruiting. They have 6 and beat us out on several of those. They signed a pitcher out of Alabama yesterday who picked them over State and others. And that's just this class. Their fans were bragging that in the last week they have commitments from 4 of the top pitchers in the country for the 2015 and 2016 seasons.

I kept reading for months about the kid out of Georgia, Chris Cullen who was supposed to commit to us for 2015 and then last week he commits to South Carolina.

I know the Cohen apologist always say well John will coach them up. That's bs. We need to start winning some of these battles. Even if they go pro you need your school on these list.

Baseball America did a story today that Mike Martin at Florida State has changed his recruiting philosophy and he's going after the elite players, something that he shied away from in the past. He went after lesser players who he knew were coming to school. He said no more.

I'm sorry I don't have the woollies like many of you. Sorry about being so negative, just the way I feel.

What does it matter that ole miss has 4? They had 3 two years ago we had none. They got zero in school we played for the NC. So unless u get them in school ala vandy once in a while who cares. Signing classes once they enroll is more important.

Todd4State
11-21-2013, 07:55 PM

Vallot, McCord, Burdick, and Cole Gordon are all draftable talent. That's about half of our class- and that doesn't include Andrew Mahoney who would be in that group if he didn't have Tommy John surgery this offseason. As I said- Vallot made the Under Armour All-Star game this year- that's the equivalent of the McDonald's All-American Game for basketball recruits.

The reason they aren't rated as high is because of signability- and Cohen and his staff evaluate that very well. They try to find guys that want to go to college and are high end talent. For example- Brandon Woodruff. He was drafted in the fifth round, which was a shock to everyone because he was going to college. Another example- Chris Stratton. He wasn't drafted at all coming out of high school even though he was throwing 94 with a great curve in HS for one of the top programs in Mississippi. Why? Signability.

That's not to say we won't ever lose someone to MLB- see William DuPont and Corey Dickerson. But they were both tough guys to sign by MLB. That's not to say that we wouldn't ever go after a guy like a Cease or a Touissant either.

What Martin was talking about is the fact that more elite players are going to college than ever, and therefore you can recruit better players than you could 10-15 years ago. Back in the day, if you were drafted by MLB, there was almost pressure on players to sign because it was "foolish" to turn down the money and you could still get your education. Times have changed- in part because of Moneyball. Teams started to realize that college players were becoming more and more prevalent in MLB and they started to go that direction. College baseball has started to become a lot better as far as quality as well. Polk didn't realize all of this and it KILLED our program. That's one reason we he passed up on guys like Mark Holliman and Head- because in the past, those guys would have signed with MLB. But what Martin is talking about all goes back to signability as well.

Todd4State
11-21-2013, 07:58 PM
We are going to be in the game with way more guys like this for a couple of reasons. One, we are better and more visible to recruits. Second, and more importantly, nick is way more aggresive than lane or butch is- was chasing big time draft guys. He isn't scared to throw our name in the hat. Not that the others were scared, but they are going to take way less risks. Hell, get em and let John deal w the scholarship delimas it creates.

I have been really impressed with Nick as a recruiter. He has far exceeded my expectations.

Homedawg
11-21-2013, 07:58 PM
If you remember, I'm sure most won't, but during coach polk's initial downfall we got killed in the draft in the classes of 90 and 91. Lost a 1st, 2nd, 3rd and a 4th. In 91 we lost 2 first rounders and a 4th and a 6th. What did that get us? A beat ass is all.

Homedawg
11-21-2013, 08:00 PM
I have been really impressed with Nick as a recruiter. He has far exceeded my expectations.

I agree. He has done much better than I anticipated.

Political Hack
11-21-2013, 08:42 PM
You guys read my blog about 2014? I would love some feedback.

you have a blog and you don't post a thread here for every story? I know I'd appreciate an update and link when you have a new entry.

messageboardsuperhero
11-21-2013, 08:46 PM

I wouldn't worry too much about this- that list is for the top 100 players in high school baseball, and only about half of those guys actually make it to school. We are recruiting well right now, regardless of what the individual player rankings say.

Chase Vallot is absolutely a top 100 high school player in the country- he's probably even a top 50 player.
Jesse McCord is arguably a top 100 player.
Cole Gordon is EXTREMELY underrated by a lot of people, and hopefully for us it stays that way.
Burdick, Gridley, and Mahoney are all very very good players as well.
Stover, Dominguez, and Stafford will be the good, 4-yr Caleb Reed type players that we need to continue to recruit.

We are signing a small class in 2014, but there is really good quality in the guys that we are bringing in. Also, we'll probably sign one or two more next summer. And as others are saying, 2015 is shaping up to be one of our best classes ever.

CadaverDawg
11-21-2013, 08:52 PM
you have a blog and you don't post a thread here for every story? I know I'd appreciate an update and link when you have a new entry.

^This^

MsStateBaseball, you have great info....you really need to start linking your blog whenever you make a new entry. I know I'd enjoy reading it

MsStateBaseball
11-21-2013, 08:54 PM
I have zero problem w our recruiting. We weren't the most talented in Omaha yet we did well. Now that we are getting better talent then we should win more. Our coaches know talent.

MsStateBaseball
11-21-2013, 08:57 PM
Good idea. Not highly proficient in computers but I will try.

starkvegasdawg
11-21-2013, 09:21 PM

They just didn't want to play in a stadium that has such bad sight lines for the fans.***

Coach34
11-21-2013, 09:29 PM
Good idea. Not highly proficient in computers but I will try.

just copy and paste the link here, with the article title starting the thread

engie
11-21-2013, 09:37 PM

"You don't always get who you want -- but you ALWAYS get who you are" - John Cohen

I've got better things to waste my time over than worrying about baseball recruiting -- nevermind worrying about baseball recruiting a full 7 months before the MLB draft and almost 9 months before they show up on campus. It's asinine to even try to approach this how you are when WAY >50% of those guys will never see a college campus.

But, yeah, everyone is "Cohen apologists" when he took us to the brink last year with ONE class on campus that had actually signed post-dumpster fire status for our program...and it was carried by guys that came here under NO GUARANTEE that it would EVER be a prominent program again. If you don't see how our recruiting is in an entirely different stratosphere now, I can't help...