PDA

View Full Version : Positives/areas of concern after 1st weekend

smootness
02-21-2022, 04:32 PM
I wasn't able to see much of Game 3, but I was there for the first 2, so you can all thank me for leaving Starkville Saturday night.

Thinks I like:

1) Dudy Noble is truly an amazing experience. This was my first chance to see the new one in person, and it has to be a top 10 baseball experience in the world, major leagues included. I knew basically what to expect, and it still blew me away. And I think winning the National title has/will take(n) it to the next level.

2) We have a top 2 in the rotation. Sims has made the transition to starter just fine, and I'd be shocked if there's a better pitcher in the country. And then Cade Smith, from what I did see and looking at his numbers, was awesome on Sunday. They both pound the zone and dare hitters to hit it, and not many will. After a frustrating opening weekend, I'm still coming out of it feeling good about winning a whole bunch of series this year because of those 2.

3) We have found our CF, I believe. Corder looks the part and got it done this weekend once given the opportunity. He just looks confident at the plate and should now be a mainstay.

4) Tanner, Hancock, and James all got going before the weekend was up. They all struggled initially but none of them should be headed into week 2 pressing.

5) Cumbest bounced back from an awful Game 1 with some solid ABs.

6) Yeager had a solid Game 3 as well to give him something positive coming out of the weekend.

7) We definitely have depth and enough capable guys we should be able to eventually find a mix that works. Maybe it ends up being Davis AND Corder in the OF or James and Corder in the OF. Maybe it's McGowan or Leggett or Meche or Alford or Downs. There's a lot left to figure out and let play out, but we definitely have options and enough talent that we'll find a good mix.

8) We have some options in the pen that looked good this weekend - namely Stone Simmons, Preston Johnson, and Brooks Auger. Johnson may end up in the rotation, but the first look for those guys was very positive.

9) Hines looks the part. I think he has a chance to have a big time freshman year.

10) The defense was good overall. I'm a little concerned about the corner OF right now but Tanner's a beast, what Forsythe lacks with the bat he makes up for at SS, Kam James has really settled in at 3B, and I think Yeager will be really good at 2B.

Things I'm concerned about:

1) I'm not sure I'm buying into Kellum Clark at this point. I know he has talent, but I don't like the body language and what I perceive to be his attitude, and he's not going to be great in RF, either, I don't think. I certainly hope he proves me wrong, and he's capable of it, but I could see him getting passed by guys who are hungrier.

2) We will likely have a couple holes in the lineup. Forsythe is what he is, hopefully he can at least give you something around .250 but he won't give you much offensively, and guys like Cumbest, James, and even Tanner will go through stretches where they're chasing and not putting together great ABs.

3) We definitely don't yet have a ton of answers on the mound. Hunt and Stinnett looked rough, I don't think Brandon Smith will be a guy we can count on, and we haven't yet seen a lefty we feel at all confident about.

4) I am a little worried about OF defense. Cumbest is passable in LF, Clark seems meh in RF, and if Corder is our CF, I think he's fine out there but likely wouldn't give us what Davis or Skinner would there to help offset what we lose in the corners. Again, maybe we end up with something like Cumbest, Davis, Corder and we're totally fine there. But right now it's a concern for me.

And that's about it. Everything else is, that's baseball, we played a tough opponent week 1 and started slow. We'll be fine overall.

R2Dawg
02-21-2022, 05:24 PM
Good summary. I agree with most of it.

Like you said we have a lot of pieces, just going to take a while to sift it all out.

Clark needs to get his head right or he'll be riding the pine. We got talent waiting to take some spots. Winning the NC as a freshman can do that to a young person.

I think some guys in pitching need to be shifted rather quickly. Those that didn't really show any improvement after all last year and now, gotta give some new guys a shot. I still like to see Fristoe and see what he can do this year. Maybe he is in and out quick but he is a year older and has the stuff.

I wouldn't let very many pitchers feel like their spot is locked up at this point outside the one's you mentioned - Sims, Johnson, CSmith, and maybe Stone in the pen.

Turfdawg67
02-21-2022, 05:56 PM
Good post, thanks!

TNDawg35
02-21-2022, 07:27 PM
I bet we see Fristoe and Walling tom.

I’m not sold on our OF right now. I think that’s a weakness.

CaptainObvious
02-21-2022, 08:16 PM
I bet we don?t see anyone tomorrow. Hopefully Wednesday.

Turfdawg67
02-21-2022, 08:25 PM
I bet we don?t see anyone tomorrow. Hopefully Wednesday.

Gee, thanks for being "Captain Obvious", Captain, er... uh, Obvious. Never mind.

basedog
02-21-2022, 08:32 PM
Tuesday game has a new start time, 11:00 am

State82
02-21-2022, 08:49 PM

Wow, had not seen that. Thanks basedog. BTW, there was high praise all over the park yesterday for Cade. Two thumbs up!

Turfdawg67
02-21-2022, 09:01 PM

Yeah, congrats on your grandson!! I can't imagine how proud you must be. I hope some of the more passionate "fans" can be respectful if he, God forbid, falters in a game.

KOdawg1
02-21-2022, 09:04 PM
Yeah, congrats on your grandson!! I can't imagine how proud you must be. I hope some of the more passionate "fans" can be respectful if he, God forbid, falters in a game.

Dude...you're literally the worst.

Homedawg
02-21-2022, 09:49 PM
Good summary. I agree with most of it.

Like you said we have a lot of pieces, just going to take a while to sift it all out.

Clark needs to get his head right or he'll be riding the pine. We got talent waiting to take some spots. Winning the NC as a freshman can do that to a young person.

I think some guys in pitching need to be shifted rather quickly. Those that didn't really show any improvement after all last year and now, gotta give some new guys a shot. I still like to see Fristoe and see what he can do this year. Maybe he is in and out quick but he is a year older and has the stuff.

I wouldn't let very many pitchers feel like their spot is locked up at this point outside the one's you mentioned - Sims, Johnson, CSmith, and maybe Stone in the pen.

I don't think winning the national championship has anything to do w Clark. He's struggling, has been, and he's draft eligible. Some people thrive on that, others press. Maybe that's it. Maybe he's just in a funk. But he has lots of juice in his bat. But as i said before the season, he's going to k and not hit for avg at this point in his career. As long as they think he's competing, he's going to get some chances. But if he can't lay off the off speed in the dirt or swing through change ups by 10', that's not going to last for long. ... hope he gets out of it soon.

basedog
02-21-2022, 10:06 PM

Oh I’m sure there will be days that aren’t the best. He is tough mentally and is driven, I understand how message boards are when times a bad.
I’m not worried about him and how he handles “everything”.

I don’t plan on showing mr ass on ED. LOL

Commercecomet24
02-21-2022, 10:13 PM
Oh I’m sure there will be days that aren’t the best. He is tough mentally and is driven, I understand how message boards are when times a bad.
I’m not worried about him and how he handles “everything”.

I don’t plan on showing mr ass on ED. LOL

Who's mr ass, base? Lol

basedog
02-21-2022, 10:20 PM
Who's mr ass, base? Lol

LOL, I know I know I should proof read. My Ass!

I don’t claim to be the smartest on ED. How is that, LOL.

Commercecomet24
02-21-2022, 10:35 PM

I thought it was hilarious especially in the spot it was placed lol! You're one of the good guys base!

HoopsDawg
02-21-2022, 10:36 PM
I have no idea who our 3rd starter should be. My choice 5 months ago was Stone Simmons. He wasn't great in the fall or spring, but he looked good in his 1 inning. Hopefully he gets a shot. Pico is a dark house candidate. Hunt is a bullpen guy. Walling hasn't shown he can command the zone. Walker isn't ready yet. If Simmons/Kohn/Fristoe can't claim it, I think you have to roll PJ out there.

I'm concerned about RF. I think you have to go with McGowan right now. He's not going to drive it out of the park, but he's going to give quality AB's out of the 8 hole. Still curious if our SS can hit .250. I like Leggett at the plate more and he can play a good 2nd base. How much defense are you giving up between L.F. and RJ Yeager? I really don't think it's much.

basedog
02-21-2022, 11:09 PM
I thought it was hilarious especially in the spot it was placed lol! You're one of the good guys base!

And same to u Cc24, u know sports! I’ve never read where u showed Mr Ass either****. LOL

Commercecomet24
02-21-2022, 11:11 PM
And same to u Cc24, u know sports! I’ve never read where u showed Mr Ass either****. LOL

Thanks I try not to, lol!

BeardoMSU
02-21-2022, 11:30 PM

"Mr. ASS" does sound more intimidating, lol.

basedog
02-21-2022, 11:46 PM
"Mr. ASS" does sound more intimidating, lol.

+1. So your saying “it” has a chance? LMMAO

Commercecomet24
02-21-2022, 11:57 PM
+1. So your saying “it” has a chance? LMMAO

I believe you've spawned a new ED phrase.