PDA

View Full Version : Scoring question

somebodyshotmypaw
02-20-2022, 06:26 PM
Corder hit a homer today. Yeager was on base. So it was a two-run homer. Why did he only get one RBI for that homer? The live stats only gave him one RBI, and now the box score posted after the game only gives him one RBI for that homer.

Corder had another RBI later in the game.

Homedawg
02-20-2022, 06:39 PM
Corder hit a homer today. Yeager was on base. So it was a two-run homer. Why did he only get one RBI for that homer? The live stats only gave him one RBI, and now the box score posted after the game only gives him one RBI for that homer.

Corder had another RBI later in the game.
He gets two for the hr. Don't trust those people keeping scoreboard.

somebodyshotmypaw
02-21-2022, 07:12 PM
He gets two for the hr. Don't trust those people keeping scoreboard.

On the updated stats after three games, they are still only giving Corder one RBI for the homer. They are wrong.

bgover4
02-21-2022, 07:34 PM
Not sure if it matters but was the runner on base an earned run? Or did he reach on error or some other technicality?

Really Clark?
02-21-2022, 07:36 PM
Not sure if it matters but was the runner on base an earned run? Or did he reach on error or some other technicality?

It wouldn't matter for offensive stats, RBI would still count no matter how the base runner got on

OLJWales
02-22-2022, 08:31 AM

I'm thinking the pitcher only gives up 1 earned run if runner reached by error but batter should get 2 RBI.

Homedawg
02-22-2022, 09:37 AM
I'm thinking the pitcher only gives up 1 earned run if runner reached by error but batter should get 2 RBI.
Right

Homedawg
02-22-2022, 09:44 AM
In the game play by play he's given 3 rbis. Somehow they missed one in the season stats.

Really Clark?
02-22-2022, 12:52 PM

It depends on the situation when it comes to ERA, if an error occurs and a third out should have happened at some point in that half inning prior to a home run, then it's not an earned run either.

fieldcorporal
02-22-2022, 01:08 PM
Scorekeeping is as much, or more, art than science. A lot of it is judgment - see the concept of "ordinary effort".

As far as Corder's homer goes, a two-run shot is 2 RBIs - always. How the runner got on doesn't matter as far as RBIs go. But it is not hard to concoct what-ifs that make it a whole lot less clear whether an RBI (or error, or hit, or...) will be charged.

OLJWales
02-22-2022, 01:09 PM
It depends on the situation when it comes to ERA, if an error occurs and a third out should have happened at some point in that half inning prior to a home run, then it's not an earned run either.

Thank you as I had kinda forgotten bought that scenario as well. Had an error occurred prior to the HR, that woulda been the third out then pitcher takes no earned runs against him. Sound right?

Really Clark?
02-22-2022, 01:25 PM
Thank you as I had kinda forgotten bought that scenario as well. Had an error occurred prior to the HR, that woulda been the third out then pitcher takes no earned runs against him. Sound right?

That's correct

OLJWales
02-22-2022, 01:33 PM
One thing I've always thought about errors that don't end up directly causing unearned runs but the pitching staff is still forced to face an extra batter for each error.

shoeless joe
02-22-2022, 04:05 PM
One thing I've always thought about errors that don't end up directly causing unearned runs but the pitching staff is still forced to face an extra batter for each error.

If an error occurs on what should have been the third out of the inning then none of the subsequent runs that inning are considered earned runs.

That’s generally how a guy can leave a game have givin up 8 runs but only 3 earned.

OLJWales
02-22-2022, 04:44 PM
If an error occurs on what should have been the third out of the inning then none of the subsequent runs that inning are considered earned runs.

That’s generally how a guy can leave a game have givin up 8 runs but only 3 earned.

I'm talking about errors that Don't result in unearned runs but Does force the pitching staff to face more total batters in the game.

Really Clark?
02-22-2022, 06:12 PM
Man, y'all can go down some rabbit holes trying to figure every situation for earned runs. But for basic score keeping, no matter what, anybody who reaches base directly because of an error, interference or obstruction, or if there is a muffed foul fly ball (can't be scored an error, only a strike) cannot be an earned run. That single base runner. The subsequent runners may or may not be charged to the pitcher depending on a ton of different situations and scorekeeper judgement when you replay an inning removing the errors, etc. But any error that is directly the cause of not getting the third out, none of those runs after that error will be charged to the pitcher.

somebodyshotmypaw
02-22-2022, 09:13 PM
I emailed the baseball department. They realized I was correct and they have corrected the error.

Really Clark?
02-22-2022, 09:36 PM
I emailed the baseball department. They realized I was correct and they have corrected the error.

Good deal!!