PDA

View Full Version : Mike Bonner's live chat

elitedawgs
11-21-2013, 04:05 PM
Read it bottom to top.

2:59

Comment From petaldawg
no doubt there MBH! i've sat through too many horrific losses. i'm happy with mullen so far.

2:58
Michael Bonner:
Well, that concludes this week's live chat!

Michael Bonner:
Who doesn't!?! It's the top game in live chats across the country!

Comment From Message Board Hero
I love the lightning round!

Michael Bonner:
No.

Comment From Guest
Are we going to another D. Wilson on the basketball team this year?

Michael Bonner:
Another successful lightning round!

2:57
Michael Bonner:
And the board is cleared!

Comment From Bracky Brett
I am the reason Hood had to sit out a year. If you question me, I will suspend Redmond 18 more games.

OM could lose their next 3 games and State could win their next 3 and they would end up with the same record. Then we would all sit back and laugh together.

Comment From Guest
If you give josh robinson or shumpert 3 chances to score from the one. ITS A TOUCHDOWN!!

We haven't lost to Maine or UAB recently so lets be happy. The Egg Bowl should be fun (hopefully).

Michael Bonner:
I think Peppermint Patty is where it's at. Always the holder.

2:56

Comment From Charlie Brown
Every time i think MSU might have a chance, they never disappoint and we lose. "O Brother!" I think Snoopy could team with Bully and be a dynamic duo! Whatcha Think?

Michael Bonner:
You've seen a lot more recently.

Comment From Josh Robinson
I'm averaging over 5 yards per carry, why don't I get the ball more ?

Michael Bonner:
HA!!! Nicely played

Comment From ttthhh
Jackie would be a good bingo announcer..be likes to call out numbers

Michael Bonner:
NCAA being the NCAA

Comment From petaldawg
speaking of the coaching sitution for Hood, i'm still surprised the ncaa didn't let him play last year since he left starkville b/c of a coaching change.

2:55

Comment From Aaron Rodgers
I think MSU need to discount "daaaable check" there offensive play calling!!

Michael Bonner:
It's one year. MSU has one more SEC games than Ole Miss under Mullen

Comment From petaldawg
how 'bout a comparison to um then? that squad kicked our tails on the field and on the recruting trail with a former hs basketball coach at the helm. i think they are a better comparison than mizzou.

2:54
Michael Bonner:
Turkey

Comment From gastrointestinal delight
Turkey or Ham?

Michael Bonner:
Come in like a Wrecking Ball Mr. Robinson

Comment From Josh Robinson
You give me four chances to score from the 2 yard line, I will get a touchdown regardless of the defense.

Michael Bonner:
Seeing a lot of positive comments for Mullen. It really interests me.

Comment From Guest
For those who dislike the job Mullen is doing, you have to answer the question, "How was the same guy able to win a National Championship at the Swamp"

2:53
Michael Bonner:
Very good point here. I've heard some would rather lose to bad teams, but upset that good team once every three years. I find that absurd.

When will people realize that this team is losing to Top 25 teams and are still very young. State is beating the teams they are supposed to beat (and that hasn't always been the case). Let's just ride this thing out and let these players grow up a little bit.

Comment From The Care Bears
We would like to "Care Bear Stare" this news feed into more positive happiness!!!

2:52

Comment From Jackie Sherrill
Missouri had the problem last year, State did this year, the starting QB and backup QB are dramatically different in their play. That has a huge impact on a team.

Michael Bonner:
The Hood situation was more about a coaching change than anything.

Comment From The Curse!
Love the way our two former Basketball Stars are shinning for other schools (Rodney Hood for Duke, Deville Smith for UNLV) We can really mess up opportunities when we actually get talent. It seems that way in football also

People want to stick with what works in regards to play calling. What worked was lining up in the shotgun. I agree, I do think it can be silly at times to run a QB sneak out of the shotgun but if you have committed to running a shotgun offense go for it.

2:51
Michael Bonner:
I know my fan will enjoy this, but who doesn't? Lightning round time!

Michael Bonner:
So there's the fan!

Comment From The Bonner Fan
Keep up the great work Mike!

Comment From Rebel On The Loose
Hugh Freeze knows what to do with his talent. Mullen should take notes.

Michael Bonner:
Very good point.

2:50

Sort of relevant: I wonder how the Prince Fielder trade to Texas will affect former Dawg Mitch Moreland.... He may be on the move soon.

2:50
Michael Bonner:
Unfortunately I think it's going to come down to the QB. If MSU's QB performs well MSU wins. If not, it's going to be tough. I think MSU's defense can slow down the Arkansas run. So I'd give MSU D the advantage over a very, very good offensive line.

2:49

Comment From Colorado
I haven't gotten to watch much if any Arkansas football this year... How does our big uglies stack up against theirs? Do we have the better O and D lines to control the game? Thats the key to our win IMO, the skill positions cant operate without those guys.

2:49
Michael Bonner:
What I meant was that team 'won' but there was no carry over. They learned how to deal with losses. But the same things need to be learned this year.

2:48

Comment From Guest
Mike you talk about state going 7-0 last year, everybody know we played a bunch of weak teams and almost lost against Troy. When we played the REAL DEAL TEAMS we got blasted.

Michael Bonner:
So far so good!

Comment From Governor Phil Bryant
I love Mississippi. I Hope you do too

Comment From LaDarius Perkins
I just realized that I'm not an actual every down back. Some one please tell Mullen to pass it to me in the flat!!

Michael Bonner:
As I said, I really liked what Preston Brown and Zack Randolph did.

Watch out for Jacob Robson too. A name you heard quietly last year, but he's played well as has Demarcus Henderson and Derrick Armstrong. OF spots will be competitive.

2:47

Comment From Guest
Who have you been most impressed with from the baseball team that everyone might not know already?

2:47
Michael Bonner:
Missouri is a terrible comparison. It doesn't play in the west. It also is playing in a terrible east this season. Georgia and Florida both down. We'll see how Mizzou does the next two weeks against the west, and still only plays A&M. No LSU or Bama.

2:45

Comment From Mr. HOT SEAT
I will be glad when people stop avoiding the problem at hand. Coaching Coaching and Coaching is the problem with MSU football, and its on the offensive end. Too many bone head calls have been made in crucial situations. Mullen makes over a million dollars, trust me, letting him go will not hurt his feelings, family, or bank account. Missouri just got to the SEC and they are in the top 10. Like really!!!! WTH!

2:44
Michael Bonner:
That's a fair assessment.

Comment From Guest
Youth & depth hold us back

Comment From boss hogg
Welcome to sippi Boy

Michael Bonner:
He's played outstanding for Duke, no question about that.

Comment From petaldawg
on the basketball topic, has anyone seen rodney hood's performances at duke? wish he'd never left starkville, but he's definitly putting up some numbers so far.

2:43
Michael Bonner:
At some point it falls on the players. It was third-and-one and MSU's best receiver, Jameon Lewis, was covered by Alabama's best defender, but who happens to be a linebacker. Lewis ran across the field and couldn't shed C.J. Mosley. If you told me your best WR would be one-on-one with a LB, no matter who he is, you take that every day. Lewis couldn't get the job done.

2:42

Comment From Concerned Fan
I noticed when MSU had an opportunity to score early in the Alabama game, when we were like inches or a yard away, instead of trying to power our way in, Mullen or Koenning whichever one, call for a shot gun play. I just can't believe MSU Offensive Play Calling!!! Then we missed the 18 yard field goal!!!! I have had it with this offensive play calling. I give credit we moved the ball, but we never stick to what works!!! Someone on the offensive end of this administration should be in the hot seat.

2:41
Michael Bonner:
Luckily most of us are just people.

2:41

Comment From Dixie
Lots of yankee media down here you,talty, stevens. It's a Yankee world

2:40
Michael Bonner:
I don't know anything personally about it, but I do know it's an extremely difficult place to play and that Utah State will be favored, as it should be. Not the usual mid-major.

Do you know anything about the raucous crowd the BBall team will be facing at the Dee Glen Smith Spectrum in Logan, Utah? It is a battle of undefeated teams....

Michael Bonner:
Preston Brown. He threw 10 innings allowed four hits and a run. He also struck out eight. Seven came in the first outing. It might not seem good, but it shows me he can win two different ways.

Zack Randolph also swung a really hot bat.

2:38

Did anyone surprise you or really stand out in fall baseball?

2:38
Michael Bonner:
I know it's not the answer you want to hear, but it's because Dan Mullen thinks its the best way to pick up the first down. He's not doing things to fail.

2:37

Comment From petaldawg
on short yardage plays, any reason why we're still snapping the ball in the shotgun as opposed to undercenter?

Michael Bonner:
Ha! Can't say that I am.

Are you upset about having to cover a football game on the morning of Opening Day of deer season? Thanks alot Jefferson Pilot!

2:36
Michael Bonner:
Experience. The team is winning to learn. It went 7-0 last year but the receivers are gone, leading tackler, starting corners, everyone is gone. The players winning this year didn't win last year. They're learning how to finish. They're learning that it takes more than one good play. Les Koenning talked last night about how young players just don't understand that. It's not good enough to execute once. So what, he said. You have to do it hundreds of times. Close, three-quarter performances this year, could result in wins next year. The schedule is also softer so the team will win, boosting its confidence.

2:34

Comment From southernDAWG
There is something missing from States football program/team. Its whats keeping us from competeing with the bigger schools and whats keeping us from winning the big games in my opinion, but I cant put my finger on it. Any ideas on what it could be? We have the talent to play with the bigger school thats been shown, it just something holding us back

2:34
Michael Bonner:
But why would you? Your options are limited because you only have one, maybe two wide receivers. If that's the case, why not spread it out and have Johnny Manziel or Cam Newton run up the middle and face a dime defense rather than a goal line defense.

2:33

Comment From petaldawg
that was my take also on the wildcat. now, if you could throw out of it, it might work.

2:32
Michael Bonner:
Basically, yes.

Is the new media hire the new Joe Galbraith ?

Michael Bonner:
Utah State is a good team. Jackson State, Florida Gulf Coast and then tourney in Las Vegas all non-conference opponents that should provide some challenges.

2:31

Comment From baketball jones
Are we gonna stop playing tomato cans and start playing some real basketball teams

2:31
Michael Bonner:
A little of column A and a little of column B. I don't think you can deny the fact they are playing better. Trivante Bloodman has really impressed me as has Colin Borchert. The sophomores as a whole have really picked their game up. But MSU hasn't played anyone. Its next test on the road against Utah State will be a good test.

2:29

Comment From Guest
How bout a round ball question. Haven't seen any of the games...are they starting to play well together or is it a lack of competition?

Michael Bonner:
Did some homework, ESPN crew for Egg Bowl is regular Thursday night group with Palmer, Reece and Pollack

Michael Bonner:
It takes a perfect situation. You need a bunch of things to come together for it to work. But it's too predictive to be successful. Defenses know it's going to be a run. So it's much easier to stop. If teams have a mobile QB like a Johnny Manziel, he can pick apart defense from passing plays.

2:27

Comment From petaldawg
in previous years, the big talk in college footbal was the "wildcat" formations. ust realized i haven't seen or heard it in quite a while.

2:27
Michael Bonner:
Yawn, Michael Bonner. Although Day has the edge in height. It would have to be vertical compared to relative size.

2:26

Highest vertical leap: Michael Bonner or Dillon Day

Michael Bonner:
Love the name!

I still have 4 years of eligibility left and played center in high school. I might give Coach *cough**cough**cough**cough**cough**cough**cough* a call this week about being the backup QB.

Comment From petaldawg
i'm sure it wouldn't make nearly as much, but responses on twitter & facebook from the fanbase have been definitely loud about the commercials. i, too, feel it kills the atmosphere. never had that issue when i was a student. but then again, we had the minitron at the time.

Michael Bonner:
Actually it's the one I haven't seen. I was walking through the Junction, and a group of people were taking a picture. I photobombed it. Never saw the results. But in the photobomb game, it's not about results. I don't do it for the fame or numbers. It's about the love of the game.

2:24

What would you say has been your best photobomb thus far ?

Michael Bonner:
Not that I know of.

Comment From brother from another mother
Are any schools persuing dan mullen

32 has already passed up 7 and 28 in playing time

Michael Bonner:
I haven't heard anything yet.

Any word on which ESPN crew will be covering the egg bowl?

2:23
Michael Bonner:
You might see Jameon Lewis in special packages, but that's not entirely different from what we've seen all season. Lewis is a wide receiver, not a backup quarterback.

2:23
Michael Bonner:
That would be Sam Cowart. He appeared in one game this season. I believe it was Alcorn State. If it wasn't ASU it was Troy.

2:21

Assuming 15 and 17 are out, who do you think backs up 14? 4 ??

Michael Bonner:
Very excited!

Comment From boiled or scrambled
Are you excited about your first eggbowl

Michael Bonner:
Mullen called it a "Stinger" but it's nerve irritation. He can't throw the ball without irritating the elbow. I wouldn't call it nerve damage, but it's the nerves in his elbow that is the issue.

2:20

Comment From mstatedog08
The look on Dak's face at TAMU was not that of "Oh boy I'm out the rest of this game.." It was like the culmination of all the bads of that week surfaced. I hate it for the kid.. Really seems like it's more serious than a stinger though IMO (strictly speculation)

Michael Bonner:
Easy, Michael Bonner.

Comment From Guest
Who would win a foot race, Michael Bonner or Tyler Russell?

Michael Bonner:
I don't think he'll have much control over the jumbotron. And i'm not sure an increase in ticket prices would equal the some of the revenue made off the ads.

2:19

Comment From petaldawg
will the new media hire have conrol over the use of the jumbotron? many ticket holders would be willing to pay a little more in order to drop the advertising.

2:19
Michael Bonner:
That question is the first I've heard of it. I'm not sure how he could be considering there was a strong possibility he would be redshirted this season.

2:18

Comment From Guest
What have you heard, if anything, about Shumpert being unhappy with his lack of playing time?

Michael Bonner:
To cover some football.

Comment From gobble gobble
What are your Thanksgiving plans

Comment From petaldawg
damian made some good throws, especially that 4th down toss to 81. just knew that was going to be a td.

Michael Bonner:
I certainly would have helped the freshman's confidence. And probably would have the fanbase feeling better about MSU's chances this weekend. But as for changing the outcome? I'm not sure about that.

2:17

If Jameon and Wilson catch those passes Williams threw to their hands, we might have seen a different outcome.

Michael Bonner:
But would it pile up a win?

Diamond formation with Griffin, Shumpert, Robinson and Williams, that might pile up some nice rushing numbers.

Michael Bonner:
As a freshman, I'm not sure you can call him a punishing runner. He can run, and is faster than Russell, but was still recruiting as a "pro-style quarterback."

2:16

Comment From mstatedog08
I don't know much about Williams, but he seems like a punishing runner much like Dak. Is he fleet-footed? Or slow?

2:16
Michael Bonner:
A lot of venom towards the video board. I'm not sure I even notice all the ads.

2:15

Comment From jumbotron
Am I being misused

2:15
Michael Bonner:
No. I think Dan Mullen is holding Dak out of practice because Prescott physically can't perform. And Russell may not even play.

2:14

Comment From Guest
Do you think Dan would hold Dak out one more game and have him ready for the Egg Bowl? Tyler was successful against Arky last year.

2:13

Comment From gene Swindoll
Good one jackie numbers only

2:12
Michael Bonner:
I wouldn't be shocked Jackie. And I think he played well against Alabama. Period. Not considering the circumstances; or against No. 1 Bama; I think he played well. He needed some help from his teammates.

2:11

I have a feeling we are going to see 14 start to finish.

You gettin more Mississippi everyday. Congrats

Michael Bonner:
That means Damian Williams has been the guy. The coaches haven't revealed anything but have dropped hints that it might be Williams' show on Saturday. But at this point in the season, we've all been fooled before.

2:10
Michael Bonner:
Tyler Russell practiced yesterday, or at least dressed. Dak Prescott did not.

2:09
Michael Bonner:
Tons of speculation.

Any word or speculation on 15 or 17's health ?

Michael Bonner:
The objective is obviously to games, but there's no question the team has improved from week one. And for the most part it has from week-to-week.

2:08

Comment From mstatedog08
Rece I think there's a ton more energy from the fans.. A lot of negativity has subsided but I think it's directly correlated to the increased level of play by the team.

Michael Bonner:
Don't know the last time i wore them.

Michael Bonner:
I do.

Do you own a pair of jorts like me.

Michael Bonner:
I would agree with you. I think it's do the realistic expectations. A loss to Arkansas would change all that. But even in its worst game of the season, MSU out-gained South Carolina. It played well against Texas A&M and even better against Alabama.

2:07

Comment From Rece
Is it just me... Does it seem like the mood from fans is more positive about this team right now than a month ago, even though we are hanging by a thread for bowl eligibility?

2:06
Michael Bonner:
The first and biggest is to stop the run. Arkansas its best when it runs the ball. One reason is because the Razorbacks have no passing offense whatsoever. Second is find a quarterback. If it's Damian Williams, allow him to be successful. It would be his first start of his career. The defense should be able to handle Arkansas, but MSU needs points.

Third would be don't repeat the same mistakes. A lot was built even with a lost last week. But some of the same old habit reappeared. Special Teams needs to improve and MSU needs to stop a team prior to half.

2:04

Comment From mstatedog08
What are your 3 big keys for MSU this weekend to secure a win?

2:03

Michael Bonner:
I'm not sure about that. I'm sure there will be live chats throughout.

Comment From Guest
Will you still do the chats during the bouncy ball season?

Comment From dan Mullen
Yippee I'm no longer on the hotseat.Go (http://hotseat.Go) home haters.

Michael Bonner:
Not sure if one things leads to the other, or if it has to do with the level of competition MSU has played. Hosting the No. 1 team in the country on ESPN should hype up the players.

2:02

Michael Bonner:
I haven't noticed anything with the players. But the coaches have had an extra hop in their steps.

2:01

Comment From Guest
It seems the players' energy levels have been much higher the last few weeks. Have you noticed this as well in your interviews with them?

2:01

Michael Bonner:
The Bulldogs go on the road to play Arkansas Saturday and conclude the season with a Thanksgiving edition of the Egg Bowl.

2:00

Michael Bonner:
Mississippi State needs to win both games to go to a fourth straight bowl game. That would be a school record.

2:00

Michael Bonner:
Welcome to this week's edition of the live chat. Just two game remaining in the 2013 season.

FlabLoser
11-21-2013, 04:15 PM
http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/standing-ovation.gif

EngineerDawg
11-21-2013, 04:28 PM
still laughing..... I honestly can't pick out my favorite comment. I crack up at almost all.

MadDawg
11-21-2013, 04:42 PM
"I know it's not the answer you want to hear, but it's because Dan Mullen thinks its the best way to pick up the first down. He's not doing things to fail."

Well there goes that theory.

slickdawg
11-21-2013, 04:43 PM
ok, which one of you did this one?

Comment From Bracky Brett
I am the reason Hood had to sit out a year. If you question me, I will suspend Redmond 18 more games.

MadDawg
11-21-2013, 04:46 PM
Comment From Concerned Fan
I noticed when MSU had an opportunity to score early in the Alabama game, when we were like inches or a yard away, instead of trying to power our way in, Mullen or Koenning whichever one, call for a shot gun play. I just can't believe MSU Offensive Play Calling!!! Then we missed the 18 yard field goal!!!! I have had it with this offensive play calling. I give credit we moved the ball, but we never stick to what works!!! Someone on the offensive end of this administration should be in the hot seat.

Michael Bonner:
At some point it falls on the players. It was third-and-one and MSU's best receiver, Jameon Lewis, was covered by Alabama's best defender, but who happens to be a linebacker. Lewis ran across the field and couldn't shed C.J. Mosley. If you told me your best WR would be one-on-one with a LB, no matter who he is, you take that every day. Lewis couldn't get the job done.

I kind of like this Michael Bonner dude.

civildawg
11-21-2013, 06:20 PM
That was glorious. The jumbotron comment had me rolling

preachermatt83
11-21-2013, 06:50 PM
The longer bonner is around the less I like him.

32 Dive
11-21-2013, 07:43 PM
Jackie calling bingo is playing live, in my mind..

I'minHailState
11-21-2013, 10:14 PM
The longer bonner is around the less I like him.

Why? He's growing on me.

preachermatt83
11-21-2013, 11:13 PM
Why? He's growing on me.

answers like 2:16 for starters.

CooterDavenport
11-21-2013, 11:18 PM
He probably doesn't notice them. He's working.